HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,815
edited September 2017 in The Porch
Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

What Would You Rather? 35 votes

The band called it quits and opened the Vault
5%
jeffbrSarah 2 votes
Keep making new music every half decade and keep the vault closed?
80%
darwinstheoryjerseyjammer1Dead Man WalkinggoldrushlolobuggNamiangiuloBrainofBGAtbergsJimmyVmcatakemace1229RP112579Kearn5yRS151862DM282158BLACK35angry_skullrummyriley540 28 votes
there is no option 3. make a choice.
14%
ski-bummookieblalockTim SimmonsZodWaitnSince67 5 votes

Comments

• Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190

They are more like Aaron Rodgers than Drew Brees.

They have a few more years of good shows and good music still in them.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,884
    I'd love to see the vault opened and emptied but I'm not willing to trade the band breaking up for it.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,105
    There's always an option 3.. lol.   The world's not black and white.

I don't think we ever want them to open the vault all at once.  Then there would be nothing new to put out for the rest of our lives.

I'm ok with the current state of things.  Trickling out of vault stuff,  tours here and there, and albums once in a while.    It doesn't seem horrible for a veteran band.
  • Options
    Zod said:

I don't think we ever want them to open the vault all at once.  Then there would be nothing new to put out for the rest of our lives.

I'm ok with the current state of things.  Trickling out of vault stuff,  tours here and there, and albums once in a while.    It doesn't seem horrible for a veteran band.
    there hasn't been anything from the vault since Lost Dogs. FOURTEEN YEARS. (all of a sudden I got the GNR song stuck in my head: it's been 14 years of silence, it's been 14 years of pain"). I'm not talking live shows, I mean studio tracks that remain unreleased. 

you're right, it's not horrible, but what I was going for here is that it seems like a lot of people don't really care for their most recent output, and would maybe prefer unreleased tracks from their more "creative" periods. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    I haven't voted yet, because I have a hard time voting for them to call it quits! But...
    I think their best years working together as a band are behind them. I think their best years as individual artists may very well be ahead of them. They clearly have many other priorities, and don't seem to get together to write anymore and only play a handful of shows a year if they feel like it. So if the choice is a Backspacer every 5 years, or a flood of cool stuff from the PJ vault while the guys find new, creative outlets that they're passionate about, I'll take the latter. These guys are 50+ years old. At their rate of production, that means we'll get 2 or 3 more Backspacers at best, if they keep at it. Open the vaults!
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    jeffbr said:
    I haven't voted yet, because I have a hard time voting for them to call it quits! But...
    I think their best years working together as a band are behind them. I think their best years as individual artists may very well be ahead of them. They clearly have many other priorities, and don't seem to get together to write anymore and only play a handful of shows a year if they feel like it. So if the choice is a Backspacer every 5 years, or a flood of cool stuff from the PJ vault while the guys find new, creative outlets that they're passionate about, I'll take the latter. These guys are 50+ years old. At their rate of production, that means we'll get 2 or 3 more Backspacers at best, if they keep at it. Open the vaults!
    vote, coward. :lol:
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Zod said:

there hasn't been anything from the vault since Lost Dogs. FOURTEEN YEARS. (all of a sudden I got the GNR song stuck in my head: it's been 14 years of silence, it's been 14 years of pain"). I'm not talking live shows, I mean studio tracks that remain unreleased. 

you're right, it's not horrible, but what I was going for here is that it seems like a lot of people don't really care for their most recent output, and would maybe prefer unreleased tracks from their more "creative" periods. 
    By the vault I thought you meant all the pre 2000 live concert recordings :)

I would love to see a Lost Dogs pt. 2.  

I also don't think the newer albums are that bad.  They aren't as good as earlier albums but each one still has a number of tracks I quite like.   Better than most other bands later career albums.    I also have no problem saving the vault, in case something happens and one day there's no more PJ.  It'd be nice to have stuff left to trickle out to us :)
  • Options
    Zod said:
    Zod said:

By the vault I thought you meant all the pre 2000 live concert recordings :)

I would love to see a Lost Dogs pt. 2.  

I also don't think the newer albums are that bad.  They aren't as good as earlier albums but each one still has a number of tracks I quite like.   Better than most other bands later career albums.    I also have no problem saving the vault, in case something happens and one day there's no more PJ.  It'd be nice to have stuff left to trickle out to us :)
    yeah, I personally am a fan of most of the tracks off BS and LB. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    :lol: OK, I voted, but here's my caveat: While I don't think they really have it in them to be a full-time band for the rest of their lives, I still want them to periodically get together to play shows. That's where I'm getting stuck on your word "quit". I still think they're the best live band on the planet. Seattle is working on the new arena deal with Oak View Group where PJ have said they'd regularly do residencies. Supposedly the latest proposal says that the arena renovation could start next year and be completed in 2020.So at this point they could keep the band together for their annual residencies and a few one-off shows here and there, and the individual members could still venture out and and create the art they're passionate about or involve themselves in projects and causes without feeling the burden of pressure to create new music as a band, which they seem to be less and less interested in doing anyway.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    I don't like option 1 or 2
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    As much as I want the vault to open, I want to see them live many more times.

Now if they decided to just tour, make no more new albums, and open the vault (which could be an option with my choice) then I could live with that.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    There's enough live boots already available. I'll probably always buy the yearly vault, but I stopped buying boots in 2010 because I'm sure I have lots of shows I've never even listened to. I need a better method than just pulling a random CD off the shelf.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,993
    rummy said:
    As much as I want the vault to open, I want to see them live many more times.

Now if they decided to just tour, make no more new albums, and open the vault (which could be an option with my choice) then I could live with that.
    I would have said the same several years ago when I was single and in LA. Now with 2 kids and living in another state, they've been to Colorado I think once in the last 10 years. So most of the tours don't even excite me when I cant get to a  single show, especially when I used to get to 3 or 4. The days of the Binaural tour of 72 shows are behind them, they'll do a 10 or so on one coast, then fly to the other coast, thats even if they decide to tour again. I wouldn't be surprised if its just one-off shows like Wrigley ever few years.
    Even if they never reach the level of Yield and before, I'd still like to hear new stuff.
  • Options
    I hope they do more than one offs.   I tend to think most years they might do 15 to 20 .. maybe the odd year off.  

The bread and butter of bands is the touring.   Even the merch sales pale in comparison to hitting the road.   I think they've been feeling it out, but small tours (almost) every year seems to keep the machine rolling right where they want it to roll.

Could you imagine if they only did one offs.  How insane would that be to get tickets too.  All of us trying to attend the one place they play... it would be insane :)

• Options
    I would prefer if they just bashed out singles or EPs. Smaller scope. Allows them to take some risks with minimal downside (no weight of "the bad album") and tour as they do. 

Im not entirely sure how much is left in the vault studio wise. At least I don't think it's enough to sustain us for the next 25 years. I'd rather them move forward with new shit and periodically dip into the vault. 
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    True. I'm surprised these veteran bands bother with albums anymore. Release a few songs from time to time, play a whack of shows (hey, it's where the money is), and Bob's your uncle.
  • Options
    SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,919
    Option #4 See the Posting Guidelines rule #1.
This discussion has been closed.