Options

STP - Core (Super Deluxe Edition)

Comments

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,241
    Shangri La is way underrated. Dumb Love is one of their best rockers hands down. I remember putting it on for a buddy of mine who'd followed them in high school with me and he was surprised how good it was because we both dropped off after Tiny. No. 4 was too uneven and repetitive. I think I'd rank them Purple, Core, Shangri, No. 4 and Tiny Music. Tiny Music turned me away from them until No. 4 came out. Love Big Bang Baby, but the rest is just ok to me on that album. I also don't think some of the songs on Purple have aged well in comparison to their other albums. Something about the production.

Album highlights for me:

Core: Plush, Sex Type Thing and Crackerman
    Purple: Vasoline, Big Empty, Superman w/ Silver Gun, Unglued
    Tiny Music: Big Bang Baby, Tumble in the Rough
    No. 4: Down, Sour Girl, Heaven & Hot Rods
    Shangri: Dumb Love, Regeneration, Too Cool Queenie, Hollywood Bitch

It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Just a head's up to those thinking about ordering the Super Deluxe Edition with the shirt, litho, Plush 7" etc.

I ordered it back on July 26th when it was first announced. They shipped the t-shirt out on Aug. 15th and I received it on Aug. 17th. It was very poor quality. The material and the fit was okay, but the graphic was very blurry and pixelated. They shipped the "lithograph" on 8/31, and I received it on Sept. 8th. It was NOT a "lithograph" - it was a cheap digital print on flimsy paper, again very pixelated and obviously sourced from a low-res file - something you could get printed at FedEx Kinko's for a few bucks. I have since requested that they issue me a full refund and a postage paid label to return the junk I got so far. I'll buy the LP at a local record shop. The Plush 7" isn't worth paying the price for the rest of the package. :disappointed:
    Damn, that sucks! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    tbergs said:
    Shangri La is way underrated. Dumb Love is one of their best rockers hands down. I remember putting it on for a buddy of mine who'd followed them in high school with me and he was surprised how good it was because we both dropped off after Tiny. No. 4 was too uneven and repetitive. I think I'd rank them Purple, Core, Shangri, No. 4 and Tiny Music. Tiny Music turned me away from them until No. 4 came out. Love Big Bang Baby, but the rest is just ok to me on that album. I also don't think some of the songs on Purple have aged well in comparison to their other albums. Something about the production.

Album highlights for me:

No love for the eponymous album?
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,241
    tbergs said:

Album highlights for me:

I've never actually listened to it. What I have heard just didn't sound the same.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,974
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:

Album highlights for me:

I've never actually listened to it. What I have heard just didn't sound the same.
    That's how STP were. None of their albums sound the same to me.

Personally, I always appreciated that about them. They weren't like some bands that just crank out the same album over and over. 

Self Titled was probably not their masterpiece, but it's a very listenable, enjoyable and engaging record. More so when you consider everything that the band had been through. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    dpduke69dpduke69 Raleigh, NC Posts: 187
    Really enjoyed tunes like Between The Lines, Hickory Dichotomy, Take a load off, and Huckleberry Crumble live.
    2013: Charlotte
    2016: Greenville Columbia
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    tbergs said:

Album highlights for me:

you know, I can only come up with one word for that album: uninspired. some of the tunes are good, but just kind of "meh". The best track on the album is a bonus track on the deluxe version; it is a song that Eric Kreitz leaked with 4 others on the big empty forums after they originally broke up: Samba Nova. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Why is the Alive in the Windy City bluray so damn expensive??
  • Options
    Why is the Alive in the Windy City bluray so damn expensive??
    don't know. that's why I bought it on iTunes. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    @HughFreakingDillon

Dude, new tracks released from the deluxe set. Holy shit man, there's one called "Only Dying" (Demo Edit)....fucking incredible. They also have Wicked Garden from MTV Unplugged, Plush (live) and Sex Type Thing (Demo) streaming on Spotify this morning.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    @HughFreakingDillon

Dude, new tracks released from the deluxe set. Holy shit man, there's one called "Only Dying" (Demo Edit)....fucking incredible. They also have Wicked Garden from MTV Unplugged, Plush (live) and Sex Type Thing (Demo) streaming on Spotify this morning.
    I have had a cd of their Mighty Joe Young demos for years, and Only Dying is one of those tracks. Happy it's finally getting to see the light of day. Just read an interview with Dean that he's not all that hip on that track though, as it's only a demo, and it needed more work before release. He said the band has talked about redoing it instrumentally around Scott'@HughFreakingDillon

There are other unreleased tracks on that cd as well, but they don't sound like Core-era STP very much. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    @HughFreakingDillon

I have had a cd of their Mighty Joe Young demos for years, and Only Dying is one of those tracks. Happy it's finally getting to see the light of day. Just read an interview with Dean that he's not all that hip on that track though, as it's only a demo, and it needed more work before release. He said the band has talked about redoing it instrumentally around Scott'@HughFreakingDillon

There are other unreleased tracks on that cd as well, but they don't sound like Core-era STP very much. 
    That track definitely doesn't - STP is one of a few bands where I have all their released catalog, but don't have any demo stuff. I'd never heard this one before and now I'm excited to see what else is there.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    @HughFreakingDillon

That track definitely doesn't - STP is one of a few bands where I have all their released catalog, but don't have any demo stuff. I'd never heard this one before and now I'm excited to see what else is there.
    I can dropbox the rest for you if you are interested. PM me. Some of it funky. A song called Love Machine could have been a James Brown track. Seriously. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    @HughFreakingDillon

I can dropbox the rest for you if you are interested. PM me. Some of it funky. A song called Love Machine could have been a James Brown track. Seriously. 
    Thanks man! I'm going to pass. I really want the box set and want to listen with new ears : )
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    @HughFreakingDillon

Thanks man! I'm going to pass. I really want the box set and want to listen with new ears : )
    do you have the other tracks I mentioned? they aren't in the box. 

You Can't Drive Me Away
    Heed The Water Whisperer
    Learning To Drive
    Samba Nova
    About A Fool
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    @HughFreakingDillon

You Can't Drive Me Away
    Heed The Water Whisperer
    Learning To Drive
    Samba Nova
    About A Fool
    Oh! I didn't know that! I don't have anything other than all their commercially released albums and a few cass-singles.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    @HughFreakingDillon

You Can't Drive Me Away
    Heed The Water Whisperer
    Learning To Drive
    Samba Nova
    About A Fool
    Oh! I didn't know that! I don't have anything other than all their commercially released albums and a few cass-singles.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    @HughFreakingDillon

You Can't Drive Me Away
    Heed The Water Whisperer
    Learning To Drive
    Samba Nova
    About A Fool
    I'd love to hear them if you are willing to share : )
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    @HughFreakingDillon

You Can't Drive Me Away
    Heed The Water Whisperer
    Learning To Drive
    Samba Nova
    About A Fool
    I'd love to hear them if you are willing to share : )
    always willing to share music that isn't commercially available. pm me and we'll set it up. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dpduke69dpduke69 Raleigh, NC Posts: 187
    2013: Charlotte
    2016: Greenville Columbia
  • Options
    Mine's out for delivery today. But it's date night, then a wedding tomorrow, then probably family time on Sunday. Maybe I'll bring it to work on Monday. :)
  • Options
    Streaming on Spotify this morning. Damn...on disc #2 and these demos are impressive. I am blown away at just how amazing Scott was as a vocalist.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    My 4-month Spotify trial expired on the 23rd. I'll listen to it eventually! 
  • Options
    The MTV Unplugged is worth the cost alone. Fuck! I haven't listened to this since it aired back in the 90s.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    I just want the 2 disc version, and I"ll buy the rest on itunes. But where the fuck does a guy go to buy a new cd now? With HMV bankrupt and gone, Best Buy only stocks limited, if any, new cd's. Brutal. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I just want the 2 disc version, and I"ll buy the rest on itunes. But where the fuck does a guy go to buy a new cd now? With HMV bankrupt and gone, Best Buy only stocks limited, if any, new cd's. Brutal. 
    Amazon is my go to. I've been replacing old discs from the 90s around $10 a piece new. Still have 2 stores with huge new and used CDs available in town too.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Amazon is my go to. I've been replacing old discs from the 90s around $10 a piece new. Still have 2 stores with huge new and used CDs available in town too.
    yeah, I know, I just miss going cd shopping. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    The best buy in CR,IA had the standard remastered version if.looking. I'm assuming your local would have