Options

Details about pressing the re-issues

13»

Comments

• Options
    PJamminPJammin Posts: 570
    Drop the needle on a clean copy of a Ludwig pressed Zeppelin II and your ears will be very happy and you will definitely notice a difference.
  • Options
    ****sorry Ludwig mastered*** he didn't actually press the record.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,629
    PJammin said:
    Great example.  And Zeppelin I remaster just explodes off the TT..  
  • Options
    if people could get the same vinyl sound out of a digital file, on a digital device, would they? my guess is no. look at the failure of the pono as your proof. half the draw of vinyl is the romanticism to it. people picture themselves by a raging fire in their den, sitting in a high-back chair in their robe and their feet swishing on a bear skin rug, sipping expensive whiskey and dropping the needle.

in reality, they are sitting in their sweats and chugging from a pabst on their dorito-cheese-powder-stained 
    Both of those sound amazing to me!
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    mrussel1 said:
    PJammin said:
    Did they ever fix the issues with IV? That one is unplayable. Is the EU press flawless, similar to HotH?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJammin said:
    Did they ever fix the issues with IV? That one is unplayable. Is the EU press flawless, similar to HotH?
    Funny you should ask.  My IV which I got earlier this year is fine.  Also, I ordered an EU from Import_CD of HOH because I heard the nightmares about the US version.  Well they sent me teh US but it is perfect.  Maybe the next run took care of the issue, because my copy looks and sounds great.  I totally expected it to be a dud. 
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    PJammin said:
    Drop the needle on a clean copy of a Ludwig pressed Zeppelin II and your ears will be very happy and you will definitely notice a difference.
    PJammin said:
    I have never actually heard "The Beast" in person, but I have heard many good stories.
  • Options
    The debate about mp3 vs CD quality vs high res will go on forever. Fine. This thread started as a call for transparency. Some people care, some don't. Doesn't hurt anyone to reveal what our $$ is being spent on. 

High res (or vinyl cut from high res) or vinyl cut from an original tape only gives the album a medium where it has a chance to sound its best. If it's mixed and mastered like shit or the dynamics are crushed to hell, the format doesn't matter. I appreciate when my favorite music also sounds good and think vinyl or high res (when done right) kicks the most ass ... but a well mixed/mastered mp3 will beat a shit mixed/mastered piece of vinyl cut from the analog tape every time. But a thoughtfully done mix/master cut from it's original source to vinyl (especially 2 LPs at 45 RPMs) is gonna make your favorite music kick your ass and give you shivers unlike anything else. If anyone has a chance to check out Beck's MoFi Sea Change or the 2LP 45 RPM version of In Rainbows on a somewhat decent stereo, you'll know what i mean. 
    96 Hartford | 98 MSG 1 & 2 | 00 Jones Beach | 03 MSG 1 & 2 | 06 Irving Plaza | 06 Camden | 06 E. Rutherford | 08 MSG 1 & 2 | 10 MSG 1 & 2 | 11 EV/Portland | 13 Wrigley | 13 Brooklyn 1 & 2 | 13 Hartford | 13 Portland | 13 Seattle | 14 Stockholm | 17 EV/Tennessee | 18 Missoula
  • Options
    MedozK said:
    PJammin said:
    PJammin said:
    I have never actually heard "The Beast" in person, but I have heard many good stories.
    I lucked upon a copy of this a few years ago ... i think it got played a lot cause it's a bit noisy, but holy crap it still rocks. 
    96 Hartford | 98 MSG 1 & 2 | 00 Jones Beach | 03 MSG 1 & 2 | 06 Irving Plaza | 06 Camden | 06 E. Rutherford | 08 MSG 1 & 2 | 10 MSG 1 & 2 | 11 EV/Portland | 13 Wrigley | 13 Brooklyn 1 & 2 | 13 Hartford | 13 Portland | 13 Seattle | 14 Stockholm | 17 EV/Tennessee | 18 Missoula
  • Options
    I like to spin the RL cut Zep II in the dark. It sounds like Plant is singing in the room right next to you. It's tough these days to find a clean copy now that the secret is out so to speak on what to look for on the Ludwig pressings. I've probably owned 8-10 of them over the years and they are incredible. There are some copies out there that are Ludwig pressings on one side and Lee Hulko pressings on the other side. These can usually be had for about 1/3 of a Ludwig pressing and sound really good to my ears. There is also an early German pressing that has very similar markings (short runoff etc) that I'm almost convinced might actually be from the Ludwig masters because it sounds great too. For me, I always play a Ludwig Zep II for my friends who give me a hard time about vinyl not sounding as good and it's usually a tough argument for them. Then again, music is like food in many ones, and we each have our own taste. For me it's always been vinyl.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,189
    BK5403 said:
    The debate about mp3 vs CD quality vs high res will go on forever. Fine. This thread started as a call for transparency. Some people care, some don't. Doesn't hurt anyone to reveal what our $$ is being spent on. 

High res (or vinyl cut from high res) or vinyl cut from an original tape only gives the album a medium where it has a chance to sound its best. If it's mixed and mastered like shit or the dynamics are crushed to hell, the format doesn't matter. I appreciate when my favorite music also sounds good and think vinyl or high res (when done right) kicks the most ass ... but a well mixed/mastered mp3 will beat a shit mixed/mastered piece of vinyl cut from the analog tape every time. But a thoughtfully done mix/master cut from it's original source to vinyl (especially 2 LPs at 45 RPMs) is gonna make your favorite music kick your ass and give you shivers unlike anything else. If anyone has a chance to check out Beck's MoFi Sea Change or the 2LP 45 RPM version of In Rainbows on a somewhat decent stereo, you'll know what i mean. 

Good choices... and for a "live" album, I would like to recommend Wilco's Kicking Television: Live in Chicago.

Sounds like you are right there next to the soundboard. Vinyl done right cannot be beaten.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,734
    As a non audiophile I can say for certain that there are only two albums I can completely tell the difference between vinyl and other forms of media. Those being Mad Season - Live at the Moore and Binaural.
    That Mad Season is fucking beautiful. 
    Other than that I leave it up to my SO to be the geek out audiophile.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    As a non audiophile I can say for certain that there are only two albums I can completely tell the difference between vinyl and other forms of media. Those being Mad Season - Live at the Moore and Binaural.
    Live at the Moore is great.  I would doubt it's analog but for whatever reason, it sounds materially different on vinyl.  Another album many on here may have that is definitely better is Neil Young Live at Massey Hall.  That one is astounding on vinyl.  I't like he is in the damn room.  
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,867
    Trent/NIN did all digtial HD sourced stuff for his reissues this past year.  H is as big a sound snob as you get, if good for him, good for me I guess
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,590
    mrussel1 said:
    Live at the Moore is great.  I would doubt it's analog but for whatever reason, it sounds materially different on vinyl.  Another album many on here may have that is definitely better is Neil Young Live at Massey Hall.  That one is astounding on vinyl.  I't like he is in the damn room.  
    Is that 180 or the 200 gram version of NY Massey?
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Is that 180 or the 200 gram version of NY Massey?
    You know, I don't really know for sure.  I have 43328-1, but both the 180 and 200 gram versions have the same number.  They are both done by Chris Bellman too.  I paid $30 or so for it, so I'm guessing it's the 180 gram.  The 200 goes for much more it seems.  It's probably this one: https://www.discogs.com/Neil-Young-Massey-Hall-1971/release/3610191
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    PJammin said:
    I have my Dad's Led Zep 1 and it sounds amazing in comparison to more recent vinyl productions. I'll have to check out the remastered one too now!

what year was it remastered?
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Massey is insane. I think some of Neil's recent reissues are digital hi res from the analog tapes, so not AAA, but still some of the best sounding records around. Same deal with the Floyd reissues.

The Zep reissues are from a couple years ago. Sound fantastic imo, but there are a lot of snobs that don't care for them. Those same people also preach about the wide availability of older superior pressings but that hasn't been my experience at all.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    PJammin said:
    I have my Dad's Led Zep 1 and it sounds amazing in comparison to more recent vinyl productions. I'll have to check out the remastered one too now!

what year was it remastered?
    2014.  Jimmy Page managed the whole thing.  https://www.discogs.com/Led-Zeppelin-Led-Zeppelin/release/5770447

You can see the high marks and comments..
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    The Zep reissues on CD are seriously amazing. Better than anything that ever existed on CD prior. I only have In Through The Out Door on vinyl from the reissue a few yrs back & its awesome! I have an original pressing & there's not much difference between them. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited September 2017
    The Zep reissues on CD are seriously amazing. Better than anything that ever existed on CD prior. I only have In Through The Out Door on vinyl from the reissue a few yrs back & its awesome! I have an original pressing & there's not much difference between them. 
    Not so fast on those Zep CDs. The remasters are good, but the early Barry Diament mastered Atlantic CD pressings are  really good. On par with the OG vinyl pressings. IMO
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah, that Neil Young at Massey Hall is crazy good. I agree with the "in the room thing." In a way it's not a totally fair comparison cause it's easier to work with a solo singer/guitar vs a whole band with lots of layers going on. But still, the stuff Neil puts out is an example of caring about both the music and the sound. When shit is mixed/mastered poorly, the lows aren't low and the highs aren't high and it sounds like a lifeless, muddled mess with no punch. Music mixed & mastered well is like reading a book where your favorite characters have layers and are complex and aren't just good or bad. There's nuance. Music mixed/mastered poorly is like that boring, one-noted character who is totally predictable and boring. 
  • Options
    BK5403 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah, that Neil Young at Massey Hall is crazy good. I agree with the "in the room thing." In a way it's not a totally fair comparison cause it's easier to work with a solo singer/guitar vs a whole band with lots of layers going on. But still, the stuff Neil puts out is an example of caring about both the music and the sound. When shit is mixed/mastered poorly, the lows aren't low and the highs aren't high and it sounds like a lifeless, muddled mess with no punch. Music mixed & mastered well is like reading a book where your favorite characters have layers and are complex and aren't just good or bad. There's nuance. Music mixed/mastered poorly is like that boring, one-noted character who is totally predictable and boring. 
    Punch... that's a great word for it.  Couldn't agree more and that's one place vinyl really shines to me, the "punch" of the lows.  Digital doesn't have it to the same extent.  It's not as clean.  And mp3 is without a clean punch IMO.  
  • Options
    BK5403 said:

There's a 45rpm version of In Rainbows?  Da Fuq?!?

ISO now...

Oh and the remastered versions of Led Zep are top notch.  I bought Led Zep 1.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited September 2017
    Remember when the majority of blind listeners chose an iphone 6 playing mp3s vs one of Neil Young's Pono players?  Ears are funny things

With vinyl It really does take amazing source material and an amazing setup to hear an improvement.  And thats just sometimes.   I buy vinyl just for the fun of playing it and the packaging.  I like the warmth that i hear at times. 
    Post edited by cp3iverson on