Options

2017 Pearl Jam Complete Vinyl Box Set

Comments

• Options
    Final BowFinal Bow flying Posts: 486
    Anyone from europe ordered the box next to me? ;-)
    Patiently waiting ... 
    Jun 05, 1992; Nov 04, 1996; Jun 09, 2000; Jun 26, 2000; Aug 29 2006, Sep 16, 2006; Sep 23, 2006; Sep 25, 2006; Sep 30, 2006; Jun 12, 2007; Jun 13, 2007; Jun 18, 2007; Jun 21, 2007; Jun 26, 2007; Jun 28, 2007; Jun 17, 2008; Jun 19, 2008; Jun 20; 2008; Jun 22, 2008; Jun 24, 2008; Jun 25, 2008; Aug 13, 2009; Aug 15; 2009; Aug 18, 2009; Oct 06, 2009; Oct 07, 2009; Oct 09, 2009; Jun 22; 2010; Jun 23, 2010; Jun 25, 2010; Jun 30, 2010; Sept 03, 2011; Sept 04, 2011; Sept 07, 2011; Sept 14, 2011; Sept 15, 2011; Jun 20 2012; Jun 21 2012; Jun 26 2012; Jun 27 2012; Jul 02 2012; Jul 04 2012; Jul 05 2012; Jul 07 2012; Jul 09 2012; Jul 10 2012; Oct 15 2013; Oct 16 2013; Oct 18 2013; Oct 19 2013; Oct 21 2013; Oct 22 2013; Jun 16 2014; Jun 17 2014; Jun 20 2014; Jun 22 2014; Jun 25 2014; Jun 26 2014; Jul 11 2014; Nov 14 2015; Nov 17 2015; Nov 20 2015; Nov 22 2015; Apr 16 2016; Apr 18 2016; Apr 20 2016; Apr 21 2016
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,709
    pdalowsky said:
    Did we really expect them to repress a bunch of records limited to 500?

Im blown away by the complaints also, seems people will complain about ANYTHING these days. Especially in Pearl Jam land
    Pressing something in 500 copies isn't uncommon. 

But so, this is just the empty box but with random vinyls laying around thrown in and then the "limited to 500 copies" is really just about "us putting in the vinyls in the box for you". The limited thing, that makes this worthy of a letter saying it's limited to 500 (600) copies is that they took the time to put in in the box (that they sold by itself). 

So the difference between;
    - buying the empty box and putting your own vinyls in.
    - Sony/10c putting the vinyls for you in the empty box

is what makes them believe that this is worthy of a "limited to 500 copies" COA?  

Isn't that insane?
    What is insane is no one ever said it was going to be anything other than what you described. Its absolutely insane to complain about getting something you ordered, hoped would be something else, and in the end was what you paid for. 
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:
    pdalowsky said:

Im blown away by the complaints also, seems people will complain about ANYTHING these days. Especially in Pearl Jam land
    Pressing something in 500 copies isn't uncommon. 

But so, this is just the empty box but with random vinyls laying around thrown in and then the "limited to 500 copies" is really just about "us putting in the vinyls in the box for you". The limited thing, that makes this worthy of a letter saying it's limited to 500 (600) copies is that they took the time to put in in the box (that they sold by itself). 

So the difference between;
    - buying the empty box and putting your own vinyls in.
    - Sony/10c putting the vinyls for you in the empty box

is what makes them believe that this is worthy of a "limited to 500 copies" COA?  

Isn't that insane?
    What is insane is no one ever said it was going to be anything other than what you described. Its absolutely insane to complain about getting something you ordered, hoped would be something else, and in the end was what you paid for. 
    Yeah I agree.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    doctorvik said:
    to each their own, I already have all of the albums (opened and spun) and bought this to KEEP as a collectors item, not to flip. Coming the way it is it is not worth keeping as a collectors item.  When I buy a NEW item at best buy or ebay or anywhere --  I would expect that item to be sealed and not opened.  
    But there was no reason to believe this would ever be a collectors item. There was no reason to believe these weren't all the reissues already readily available.
    Had I bought one, I would have done just the opposite. Put these in my regular rotation so I can store my OPs nicely, and just spin them  when I don;t have to worry about my 2-year-old running around and scratching the thing.
    Which is why I decided to pass.
  • Options
    One question. If you ordered these albums one by one from 10club and they came unsealed would you all be ok with it?  It makes no sense they came unsealed.  Album and box.
    If it came from 10c or any big store, yes I would be okay with that.
    If it came off ebay and the guy sold it as new, I'd question it a little, but if it played played and looked new I probably wouldn't care.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,012
    edited November 2017
    mace1229 said:

But there was no reason to believe this would ever be a collectors item. 
    Wasn't there a COA letter accompanying this Limited Edition item?

Not that I personally care. 

Now Im off work. Weeeeeeeee.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    edited November 2017
    pdalowsky said:
    I agree.  As a neutral observer.... I expected reactions like this.  It happens most of the time no matter what they do.  Too much, not enough, content not up to expectations, want more, took too long, etc... 
    You could see this coming though, based on the "now tell us what you are going to give us for ordering this" speculation.  IMO, for a lot of people, it was becoming almost accepted that there would be a huge "wow" bonus that would vault this box set into trade, auction, or raffle bait to equal Benaroya vinyl, Cracker Jack, Kong, etc... I would venture to say that most people werent buying this to listen to it.  Most of us own many/most of the studio albums as it is... That is the reason i did not purchase.  I own every studio album, save 2 of the new reissues, which I ordered for like $30 or whatever, as opposed to hundreds of $ for the box set... (I did want the box but didnt realize it was limited and intended on ordering the next day/monday).  
    The product came in and was what was described.... but fell far below expectations of some people.  I get the disappointment... but I don't think outright criticism is warranted.  
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    MayDay10 said:
    pdalowsky said:
    I agree.  As a neutral observer.... I expected reactions like this.  It happens most of the time no matter what they do.  Too much, not enough, content not up to expectations, want more, took too long, etc... 
    You could see this coming though, based on the "now tell us what you are going to give us for ordering this" speculation.  IMO, for a lot of people, it was becoming almost accepted that there would be a huge "wow" bonus that would vault this box set into trade, auction, or raffle bait to equal Benaroya vinyl, Cracker Jack, Kong, etc... I would venture to say that most people werent buying this to listen to it.  Most of us own many/most of the studio albums as it is... That is the reason i did not purchase.  I own every studio album, save 2 of the new reissues, which I ordered for like $30 or whatever, as opposed to hundreds of $ for the box set... (I did want the box but didnt realize it was limited and intended on ordering the next day/monday).  
    The product came in and was what was described.... but fell far below expectations of some people.  I get the disappointment... but I don't think outright criticism is warranted.  

I think that,

- Having a fancy COA-letter included
    - Taking such an overprice for what it in the end turned out to be

speaks in favor of the people feeling burned.

• Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190

Wow... I already have all the studio albums on vinyl. ordered the Self Titled because it was remixed.

so glad I wasn't on the site the day these went on sale.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,892
    pdalowsky said:

Mostly in Pearl Jam land.  ;)
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    mace1229 said:

Yes. But what did a CAO guarantee? Other than this vinyl was put together by 10c and not the ones available on Amazon. Absolutely nothing. And if they all weren't readily available, you wouldn't even have needed the COA.
    The point is, now that everyone is getting exactly what was advertised, some are not happy. Which is sort of funny to me. Was it the increased cost of the bundle that made so many assume there was something more to it? Seeing how it really has about a $250 retail value when bought separately made everyone assume the extra $100 and COA was for the secret signatures?
    There is nothing about these boxes that wasn't advertised. Even with the numbering mishap, they still only sold 500.
    Seems like a big case of buyers remorse to some. Probably wishing they sold it 3 weeks ago for $1500.

Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    MayDay10 said:
    lets face it.  people are upset because this was a poor "investment".  people also whipped themselves into a frenzy expecting autoed boxes, original pressings, colored vinyl.  there is disappointment there.

and if the numbers >500... dont fret.  the number of people who will ever view that card is probably 1.  the number of people who would care is the same.  
    What's upsetting is that the boxset is a hodge podge.  It was thrown together, the records were not specifically made for the boxset.
    Agree 1000%

When my "box set" arrives, I will check it to make sure that these are all the readily available pressings. Once I confirm the crappy hodge podginess of the the "box set". I will sell mine for cost + shipping to anyone that wants this overpriced paper weight. And nothing against people who buy stuff to sit on a shelf beside other things sitting on a shelf.. nothing wrong with that.
  • Options
    MedozK said:
    MayDay10 said:
    lets face it.  people are upset because this was a poor "investment".  people also whipped themselves into a frenzy expecting autoed boxes, original pressings, colored vinyl.  there is disappointment there.

and if the numbers >500... dont fret.  the number of people who will ever view that card is probably 1.  the number of people who would care is the same.  
    What's upsetting is that the boxset is a hodge podge.  It was thrown together, the records were not specifically made for the boxset.
    Agree 1000%

When my "box set" arrives, I will check it to make sure that these are all the readily available pressings. Once I confirm the crappy hodge podginess of the the "box set". I will sell mine for cost + shipping to anyone that wants this overpriced paper weight. And nothing against people who buy stuff to sit on a shelf beside other things sitting on a shelf.. nothing wrong with that.
    @cjzoly
     he is looking @MedozK help him out!
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    MedozK said:
    MayDay10 said:

Agree 1000%

@cjzoly
     he is looking @MedozK help him out!
    Will do.
  • Options
    MedozK said:
    MayDay10 said:

Agree 1000%

I agree it is a hodge podge that isnt worth half the retail price. But just wondering what made you think otherwise?
    This was announced the same morning as the other reissues, right? That right there jumped out and screamed to me that this is just the same as everything else being released. Maybe if they had announced this a month later or earlier I might have thought it was a difference pressing, but releasing it at the same time I never thought for a second it would be anything different.
     Just packaged and sold together at an additional $100 convenience fee.
  • Options
    doctorvikdoctorvik granger, IN Posts: 123
    Like I said to each their own ... to me if the description said "here is an unsealed limited edition box of leftover albums that may have some wear on them (all my bindings on open records are frayed and worn) , limited to 500" I would say I got what was described. But nowhere does it say that's what I am getting. I'm not here to get in an argument about how big a collector I am etc, I have ocd and can't stand when my album covers look like crap, and I bought this as a collectible for myself. I wasn't expecting any extras but a nice box with albums that actually look like they were meant to fit in it would have been great. I am glad people are happy with what they got and do think its cool they offered this -- I just wish it was executed better.  
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Yes. But what did a CAO guarantee? Other than this vinyl was put together by 10c and not the ones available on Amazon. Absolutely nothing. And if they all weren't readily available, you wouldn't even have needed the COA.
    The point is, now that everyone is getting exactly what was advertised, some are not happy. Which is sort of funny to me. Was it the increased cost of the bundle that made so many assume there was something more to it? Seeing how it really has about a $250 retail value when bought separately made everyone assume the extra $100 and COA was for the secret signatures?
    There is nothing about these boxes that wasn't advertised. Even with the numbering mishap, they still only sold 500.
    Seems like a big case of buyers remorse to some. Probably wishing they sold it 3 weeks ago for $1500.

Why wouldn't people assume that those $100 dollars would be something else than "higher margins for the band, just because they can"?

Name another case where something has been sold wholesale and have had a higher price than market value for the separate items, or where a COA-letter has been included simply because of someone putting items into a box that were available for everyone to buy? 

Wheres the precedent? 

Maybe I'm just looking at this wrong, being late afternoon and all. Or maybe I want to think more of the world than everyone being Gene Simmons. 

But.

- Whats limited about this box?
    - They put records into the box instead of you doing it for the limited time it took to put them in exactly 600. Then they stopped. And it cost more than it would to buy the items one by one. 

I get people feeling burned out, like I said above. The COA and limited edition-ploy is just some dadaist joke.

And I want pearl Jam to be more than, "Please go visit kissonline.com" 
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Why wouldn't people assume that those $100 dollars would be something else than "higher margins for the band, just because they can"?

Name another case where something has been sold wholesale and have had a higher price than market value for the separate items, or where a COA-letter has been included simply because of someone putting items into a box that were available for everyone to buy? 

Wheres the precedent? 

Maybe I'm just looking at this wrong, being late afternoon and all. Or maybe I want to think more of the world than everyone being Gene Simmons. 

But.

- Whats limited about this box?
    - They put records into the box instead of you doing it for the limited time it took to put them in exactly 600. Then they stopped. And it cost more than it would to buy the items one by one. 

I get people feeling burned out, like I said above.

And I want pearl Jam to be more than, "Please go visit kissonline.com" 
    There hasn't been, that's why I wouldn't have even paid $200 for this.
    But no where did they advertise anything additional other than the COA. Ad thats what you got.
    doctorvik said his albums have ringwear on them. Okay, I would complain about that. I wouldnt complain they weren;t sealed, but I would about ringwear. 
    Apprently the box itself is what is limited. The empty ones sold out almost as fast.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    pdalowsky said:

I think that,

And yet the product arrived exactly as advertised no? 

Where is this so called burn?
  • Options
    I can almost imagine the constant disbelief at the warehouse 

'these people' with rolling eyes
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:
    MayDay10 said:
    pdalowsky said:

I think that,

Didn't I just explain that?
  • Options
    KW6232KW6232 Posts: 349
    The fact is nobody forced anyone to buy the box set. If you thought it was overpriced why did you buy it in the first place. Now if you don't want it you can return it or I'm sure it will be easy to sell for what you paid. 
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:
    MayDay10 said:
    pdalowsky said:

I think that,

No not really, you tried to explain why people are burned but do not at all deal with people getting the thing they paid for and nothing else?

If the burn is based on a warped expectation which is plainly wierd, then yes I suppose you may have explained it

• Options
    Whats even worse and even more confounding is that people come here to moan moan moan, whinge whinge whinge, criticize, criticize, criticize, and be continually and constantly underwhelmed and disappointed and yet always come back for more

a real head scratcher. 
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:
    pdalowsky said:
    MayDay10 said:
    pdalowsky said:

I think that,

No not really, you tried to explain why people are burned but do not at all deal with people getting the thing they paid for and nothing else?

If the burn is based on a warped expectation which is plainly wierd, then yes I suppose you may have explained it

I laughed when these first popped up thinking who would actually buy one. Then was in disbelief when it sold out as fast as it did.
    I think the COA did help create the warped expectation. I remember everyone asking what the COA is for.
    I still don't know what it is for, the vinyl wasn't limited, the box was sold separately (although sold out, but if you bought one and filled it yourself it would be no different). If this wasn't "limited" and didn't have a COA, they wouldn't have even sold 20 of them. It was good marketing by them. And lets be honest, PJ is a business and a business is there to make money. I can't fault them for selling this, especially if people are going to eat it up like they did. My only guess is it was limited to 500 because they didn't expect they could sell more than that for what it was.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited November 2017
    One question. If you ordered these albums one by one from 10club and they came unsealed would you all be ok with it?  It makes no sense they came unsealed.  Album and box.
    I think it's weird to get albums individually sealed inside a boxset. I'm pretty sure I have never seen that done in my whole life. Have you?? The fact that BS and LB are sealed is the strange part, not the other way around. It probably would have been a good idea for 10C to have unwrapped those two before putting them in there, for consistency's sake. That probably would have prevented all the complaints related to this issue. I admit that it would have also been a good idea for them to seal the actual box after filling it up. It is important to collectors to know that a boxset hasn't been opened, since it's the only way to know for sure that none of the records inside it have been played.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    pdalowsky said:
    pdalowsky said:
    MayDay10 said:
    pdalowsky said:

I think that,

How about if you try to see it from my PoV and tell me what you think I mean, and I can explain or correct you if you're off track.

And, just for the fun of this... situation could you please explain the COA to me? In your words. What is it for?

And, if you like, can you explain the weirdly high margins on these readily available items, other than;

And people did not get what they paid for, on the image it said it was limited to 500 copies. But 600 were made :P 

It's just funny. That COA etc. Haha. And i didn't expect more, but atleast that it would be sealed I guess. Haha. Amazing.
  • Options
    GC31608GC31608 GA Posts: 228

I read the description, ordered, received what was in the description and have # 589 (the mixup with the numbering was explained, apology was issued and refunds offered). I just don't see how the albums would fit in the box if they were all sealed.  It's already a tight squeeze as it is.  Way too many nancies on this board that always find something to complain about whether it's the color, shape, fit, sound, size, shipping, too many produced, too little produced.  I say they should just shut the shop down.

• Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    pdalowsky said:
    Whats even worse and even more confounding is that people come here to moan moan moan, whinge whinge whinge, criticize, criticize, criticize, and be continually and constantly underwhelmed and disappointed and yet always come back for more

a real head scratcher. 
    It’s all about the drama, Paul.  Without the drama life would be more pleasant... and who the hell wants that!!  :lol:
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    Hey serious question but was Petty’s box set a mix of old/new/different pressings or were they pressed specially for the box set?

Don’t know how they usually are, but it just occurred to me to ask.  I think I just never know as much about other bands’ vinyl years/reissues/og’s  as I do about PJ vinyl.

Curious because I certainly don’t think this was sold as advertised as a lot of you are saying- I figured these would all be new pressings special for the box.... because I guess I think that whenever there’s a box set they’re going to be new, but I guess that’s just in my mind- and I only just realized that doesn’t necessarily have to be the case.

I'm like an opening band for your mom.