2018 Tour Rumour Thread

Comments

• BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,335
    PJNB said:
    Fenway 2 was one of the best shows that Pearl Jam has put on in the last decade. That had a lot to do with the setlist and bands performance but it also had a lot do with the venue, acoustics and fans. I am surprised at the backlash on the boards about not wanting more of this. I sat back near the grand stand at the 3 ballpark shows I went to and had a blast and can not wait to go again. Sounds like if this does happen next year I will be a lot closer though with all of the disinterest!  
    I thought the sound at both Fenway shows was superior to any arena show aside from maybe the 2013 London, Ontario concert.  I was very fortunate to be in the second layer back from the stage at Fenway both evenings; but I did hear first hand reviews from people in the grandstand back towards the wall on the first base line that the sound was less than ideal.
    * If Pearl Jam is touring, and we're fortunate enough to be able to get to the shows, and secure tickets - we'll be there with smiles on our faces
  • SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,993
    I was in the back at Wrigley 1 well behind home plate/dugout area and the sound was great. I didn't hear anyone complain about the sound. For Wrigley 2 I was by the stage and it was great there too.

Personally I've seen PJ 8 times, and the 3 Wrigley shows are in my top 4 for best experiences overall. Only the Moline show has crept in to the top 4 from my arena shows.

Perhaps that I have a high ten club #495xxx is why? I'm guessing many of the stadium haters have low numbers and would otherwise have amazing seats in an arena? That wouldn't apply to me. So maybe some of us are coming from different places here.
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    I think most if not all of us would prefer a club show.   A stadium show is the furthest thing from that.  The ballpark shows were great because Pearl Jam was there but would prefer a smaller venue. 
  • jmug23jmug23 Posts: 778
    PJNB said:
    Fenway 2 was one of the best shows that Pearl Jam has put on in the last decade. That had a lot to do with the setlist and bands performance but it also had a lot do with the venue, acoustics and fans. I am surprised at the backlash on the boards about not wanting more of this. I sat back near the grand stand at the 3 ballpark shows I went to and had a blast and can not wait to go again. Sounds like if this does happen next year I will be a lot closer though with all of the disinterest!  
    I was at that show and definitely wasn't the best show I've been to in the last 5 years. Completely subjective of course.  Although I had a blast there.  Sound was good, set was great and most importantly my wife was with me  (she normally doesn't travel with me to shows).  I was also at wrigley which was fun I guess my only real issue with Boston was I felt far away. I was lower lever 1st base side and when u have to watch the screen, it's not the same.  At least for me.  Still loved the experience though  

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,383

on2legs said:
    PJNB said:
    I'm mostly agree with you.  I was at Wrigley in 2013 and at Fenway.  I thought they were amazing shows. But I think the venue choice was key.  Wrigley and Fenway are historic venues and that went a long way to making the shows special.  I would not be as excited to see them at Yankee stadium or citi field as those stadiums are less than 10 years old.  Don't get me wrong.  I would still be there but I think it loses a lot of the charm. 

I agree with this. If stadiums become the norm, I'll definitely be going to fewer shows.

I also agree about Fenway 2 - of the 18 shows I've seen, that's probably the second best, that night was one for the ages.

• PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,758
    I'll see them where they play, when they play.  
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    i love 2018 already!..and 2019!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    edited October 2017
    Hey Dimi, my wife said we can go to Greece if PJ makes a stop there next year:) any chance I'll get to see the beautiful Greek isles next summer? That would be a dream!
    jmug23 said:
    Hey Dimi, my wife said we can go to Greece if PJ makes a stop there next year:) any chance I'll get to see the beautiful Greek isles next summer? That would be a dream!
    i dont think u will see greek islands any time soon!!hahaha
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    edited October 2017
    I go to concerts to see and hear the band.   I love stadium shows when I have good tickets and I'm up front, but even halfway back in your average stadium, your further back than the worst seat in an arena.   It get's pretty hard to see the band.   Watching the screens isn't the same to me.

That's my only gripe against stadiums.   It all stems from U2's Popmart Tour.   I had tickets on the upper deck just before the stadium curves and goes all the way to the back.   We were so far back I couldn't tell it was Edge singing a wicked acoustic version of Sunday Bloody Sunday.   It was in my very early concert years, and the reason we were so far back was because we bought the tickets after the initial sale.  I saw the people on the floor and in the pit, and I wanted to know how I get those tickets.

We may have no choice but to see PJ switch to stadiums.  They tour less, play less shows when they do tour, often play the same regions, and more people travel to the shows.   This is causing the demand to keep increasing.   It might be difficult to keep playing Arena's with increasing ticket demand.  I'll take a stadium show over missing out on tickets to an arena show any day.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Come on guys, even bad pizza is good pizza!!!
  • stevedsteved Posts: 651
    edited October 2017
    Seems there are two different conversations starting. One being, which is preferable to enjoy the actual concert if all things are equal a stadium show or a smaller venue like an arena, and the second being the things that it takes to make that happen, (less shows, access to tickets, etc..). Although these are two seemingly interwoven things, they still are separate.

Facts:

-Front Row, 5th Row, 10th Row are still 10th Row no matter what venue you are in but beyond that everything changes drastically in my opinion.

The stage they had at both stadium shows was not elevated very high. If you were on the floor even 15 rows back and you were less than 6 foot tall you would not have had a good line of sight to the band.

-Lower bowl in an Arena (aprox 40% of the crowd) you can still watch the band. In a stadium you are watching a screen or a little dot size person.

-The worst seat in an arena is better than more than at least 30-40% of the seats in a stadium.

-When there is a gaping hole the size of a half an acre for the infield and then have fans seats behind to watch the show it becomes increasingly clear that if your seat is not in the very front the concert experience in a ballpark is that of a listening one, and watching the screens.

I was at all 4 stadium shows and had a blast at them all!  I don't want it to seem that my opinions are biased. I was within the first few rows of the stage at all of them. Could see just fine and to me they were no different then an arena show because of that. My point is that other than the communal spirit of 40,000 people singing along, the ballpark shows for most concert fans have got challenges if you like actually watching the band. For most people It will be up to whatever the screen tells you to watch. If that is ok with you.

I  like to watch & listen at the same time at a PJ concert!

Zod said:
    I go to concerts to see and hear the band. 

1994 - Pensacola, Miami, Atlanta - 1995 - Milwaukee, Milwaukee, New Orleans (Tickets to Phoenix, Las Cruces, Austin, Shows Canceled) - 1996 - Randalls Island, Randalls Island, Charlotte, N.Charleston, Ft. Lauderdale - 1997 - Oakland -1998 - Alpine Valley, Alpine Valley, Chicago, West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach -  2000 - West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Phoenix, Las Vegas (10th Anniversary Show)  - 2003 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Camden, Camden, MSG, MSG - 2004 - Kissimmee, Fl  -  2006 - Irving Plaza, Albany, Hartford, Denver, Denver, Las Vegas - 2007 - Ed w/ Jack Irons & Flea in LA  - 2008 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia, Camden, Camden, Washington D.C. - 2009 - L.A., San Diego, Philly Spectrum Night 3 & 4  - 2010 - New Orleans, Columbus, Indianapolis, Hartford, MSG, MSG - 2011 - Ed - Hartford, Providence, Boston - 2011 - Alpine Valley X2 (PJ20), Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver - 2012 - Ed - Ft. Lauderdale x2, - 2012 / 2014 Beautiful Daughter "Emily" born 11/07/12. On the bench for 3 years! She's really cute though! - 2015 - Mexico City - 2016 - Ft. Laud, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Raleigh, Columbia, Philly 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley Night 1 & 2 - 2016 - MSG, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle, Seattle (TOTD) - 2018 - Seattle 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2

Some pizza is better than others :)
  • -decodified--decodified- mobile device Posts: 2,686
    PJNB said:
    mattl8787 said:
    A little bird told me be ready for two nights at Fenway in September 2018.

Bill Graham Civic Auditorium - Jul 15, 2006
    Outside Lands Festival - Aug 28, 2009
    Key Arena - Sep 21, 2009
    Viejas Arena - Oct 09, 2009
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 23, 2010
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 24, 2010
    Oracle Arena Nov 26, 2013
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 26, 2014
    Parque Simon Bolivar - Bogota, Colombia - Nov 25, 2015 - MY HOMETOWN!!!
    Madison Square Garden - May 01, 2016
    Madison Square Garden - May 02, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 20, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 22, 2016 - MY B-DAY!!!

dL7POFOTD9H0c.gif
  • nycratsnycrats Posts: 1,348
    Stadium vs arena arguments are all very valid, but I almost think that there is "touring stadiums" and then "playing wrigley and Fenway". A lot of acts that will play sheds and arenas in the summer will play the historic two given the opportunity, it doesn't mean Pearl Jam will then go play meadowlands, wherever the phillies play, fedex field, etc..

im sure they'll still play arenas in the us but may keep going back to those two old ballparks because their experience. 
    '98: Camden 1 '00: JB2 '03: MSG1 '04: Boston 1 '05: AC1
    '06: Irving Plaza, East Rutherford 1 & 2 '07: Lolla '08: Camden 2, MSG2, Beacon
    '09 :Philly 1 & 2 '10: Buffalo, Newark, MSG1, MSG2
    '11: PJ20 1 & 2 '12: Missoula '13: Wrigley, BK2, Philly 1 & 2, Hartford
    '14: Ams 1 & 2, Cincy, St Louis, Detroit, Moline '15: Central Park
    '16 Philly 1 & 2, MSG 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1, Wrigley 1
    '17 Brooklyn hall of fame ‘18 Fenway 1
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    We're talking about a 2 year hiatus for U.S. shows if they play Fall 2018.  I'll be happy with whatever I can get! 
  • NoloadNoload Monticello, Georgia Posts: 1,630
    bbiggs said:
    We're talking about a 2 year hiatus for U.S. shows if they play Fall 2018.  I'll be happy with whatever I can get! 
    5 years for album..time to shit out some type of album even if they just use other lost dogs.
    www.twitter.com/robert_harbin
  • CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,989
    Zod said:
    Any pizza is better than no pizza.
  • -decodified--decodified- mobile device Posts: 2,686
    CopperTom said:
    Zod said:

Bill Graham Civic Auditorium - Jul 15, 2006
    Outside Lands Festival - Aug 28, 2009
    Key Arena - Sep 21, 2009
    Viejas Arena - Oct 09, 2009
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 23, 2010
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 24, 2010
    Oracle Arena Nov 26, 2013
    Shoreline Amphitheater - Oct 26, 2014
    Parque Simon Bolivar - Bogota, Colombia - Nov 25, 2015 - MY HOMETOWN!!!
    Madison Square Garden - May 01, 2016
    Madison Square Garden - May 02, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 20, 2016
    Wrigley Field - Aug 22, 2016 - MY B-DAY!!!

dL7POFOTD9H0c.gif
    CopperTom said:
    Zod said:
    Good point.  Well made.
    jmug23 said:
    i dont think u will see greek islands any time soon!!hahaha
    Haha, Damn u Dimi!! U ruined my dreams of visitng Greece :) but thanks for the heads up :)
    so,whats everyones favo pizza?
  • CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,989
    I heard there's a great place in Prague.  Will I get to have a slice in 2018?
  • In general, the music industry has been returning to stadium tours like it was in the 80's and 90's when every other act was doing stadiums.  There are upsides and downsides.  For a band like PJ, you are there strictly for the music IMO.  They don't exactly put on a "show" so as long as the sound is good, I don't think it's necessary to be up close.  I was at both Fenway shows.  First night, we were dead center floor, about 25-30 rows from stage.  Second night, we had rooftop seats.  I enjoyed the second night as much as the first night.  PJ is no longer interested in doing 50 shows per tour for a number of reasons.  If you are not doing full blown tours, economics dictate they need to play larger venues.  Keep in mind, that at the end of the day, touring is still a business.  Lots of people are involved and lots of people need to get paid.

That being said, Fenway Park will have a record number of concerts next year.  They are expecting at least a dozen shows with as many as 17-18 shows being possible.  I am fully expecting Foo Fighters and PJ to play there 2 nights each.  
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    on2legs said:
    I wish they would just brake out and do a residency somewhere don't care where ! 
    This would signal the beginning of the end for me if they did that. 
    Really ? The Allman brothers did the beacon for yrs as a residency guess what they sold out every yr i'm not saying do every yr just once do something that would excite the fan base STADIUM SHOWS are ok for once i a lifetime event but i'd rather they stop with those ! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,374
    on2legs said:
    I wish they would just brake out and do a residency somewhere don't care where ! 
    Really ? The Allman brothers did the beacon for yrs as a residency guess what they sold out every yr i'm not saying do every yr just once do something that would excite the fan base STADIUM SHOWS are ok for once i a lifetime event but i'd rather they stop with those ! 
    Just not a fan of it.  I prefer they continue to travel and play different venues. To me, playing a residency is for Celine Dione and other acts that have exceeded their expiration date. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    Just not a fan of it.  I prefer they continue to travel and play different venues. To me, playing a residency is for Celine Dione and other acts that have exceeded their expiration date. 
    Nah there's alot of bands that are doing it now Tedeschi Trucks are doing it now i wouldnt consider them to have experition dates passed !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • RyanRyan Posts: 1,012

Depends what month.  In June, some gross by-the-slice place at like 2 AM in Amsterdam.  Maybe some authentic Italian pizza later in the month.  

In the fall, Chicago or New York style.  

Probabiltiy of Pearl Jam fulfilling those pizza predictions in 2018?
    2003 - June 15 Fargo
    2005 - Sept 1 George, Sept 8 Winnipeg
    2006 - May 9/10 Toronto, June 26/27 St. Paul, July 22/23 George, Oct 21/22 Mountain View
    2007 - Aug 2/5 Chicago
    2008 - June 22 Washington, June 24/25 New York
    2009 - Aug 21 Toronto, Aug 23/24 Chicago, Sept 21/22 Seattle, Oct 27/28/30/31 Philadelphia
    2010 - May 15 Hartford, May 17 Boston, Oct 23/24 Mountain View
    2011 - Sept 3/4 Alpine Valley, Sept 11/12 Toronto, Sept 17 Winnipeg, Sept 19 Saskatoon
    2012 - Sept 30 Missoula
    2013 - July 16 London, July 19 Chicago, Oct 12 Buffalo, Dec 2 Calgary, Dec 4 Vancouver, Dec 6 Seattle
    2014 - Oct 16 Detroit, Oct 19 St. Paul, Oct 20 Milwaukee
    2015 - Sept 23 (Colbert)/Sept 26, New York
    2016 - Apr 28/29 Philadelphia, May 10/12 Toronto, Aug 20/22 Chicago
  • DEGBTIDEGBTI san diego Posts: 875
    question is, is wrigley going to happen again in 2018? dimi, any hint?
  • wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    Venice has some really good pizza, would love to go back and get some next summer. 

Fish n chips in Ireland is also on my list for next year. 
    NYPJ