Options

Payment question in the TC store

2»

Comments

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,997
    I don't mind paying for my meal beforehand, I can think of one time off hand where I refused to pay for it but that was because after 3 attempts they kept bringing me the wrong dish. its becoming a lot more common with newer places to do it that way. I just don't like tipping beforehand not knowing about the food and service. Also, I just don't know what is standard tip when one cashier takes your order in line and a second waitress brings it to you at the table.
  • Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,339
    In addition to having exclusive debit cards, we also have less guns and overall violence up here in Canada :)
    However, having Internet data limits on our home Internet plans - similar to the cellphone way of things, but with more consumption limits, for example 175GB per month is maddening.   
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    evsgjamm said:
    Hey now... from what I hear, we Canadians have a pretty fancy technology that I was surprised American's had never heard of just two years ago when I was on a road trip through the USA... portable debit / visa machines at restaurants! Apparently ya'll don't have those! so booooo yeaaaaaa!!!!!! yeaaa!!!!!! yeeeeeeeeeAAAAAAAAAA!!! visaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!
    Haha. Really?? I think we're at the point in Canada where if they don't have a portable debit/CC machine to bring to the table we think there is something wrong with their business. :lol: I assumed the US had them everywhere. I haven't been to the States for a few years now (the exchange rate got really bad since I last went, so I have largely been avoiding going down there to spend money).
    You're talking about those square reading things that you can just run a credit card with right?
    We have them everywhere, one of the companies will actually give them for free if you want.
    Many restaurants actually use them too, especially the smaller ones. They just don't have the waitress bring it to you, they just go behind the counter and swipe it.
    What is becoming more popular is ordering in line, then having the waitress bring the food. Those almost always have those portable ones. I hate it, because they ask for a tip before the service even begins and I never know how much to leave.
    Square reading things? No, we're talking about an actual debit/credit card machine that is brought to your table (the whole point is to NOT have the server take your card away from you, to improve security, while also improving convenience). They look like this:

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    BF89905 said:
    In addition to having exclusive debit cards, we also have less guns and overall violence up here in Canada :)
    However, having Internet data limits on our home Internet plans - similar to the cellphone way of things, but with more consumption limits, for example 175GB per month is maddening.   
    Ugh! I pay an extra $15/month to Telus to have unlimited wifi, which means I pay $83 a month just for my home internet service. I pay another $30 for 6GB for my phone's data plan (which is actually INSANELY cheap for mobile data - I got a deal some years ago and just keep renewing the contract). Yeah, Canada has MAJOR problems in terms of internet affordability. It's ridiculous.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,339
    PJ_Soul said:
    BF89905 said:
    Ugh! I pay an extra $15/month to Telus to have unlimited wifi, which means I pay $83 a month just for my home internet service. I pay another $30 for 6GB for my phone's data plan (which is actually INSANELY cheap for mobile data - I got a deal some years ago and just keep renewing the contract). Yeah, Canada has MAJOR problems in terms of internet affordability. It's ridiculous.
    I've had a Moto X phone for more than two years now, for I have a nice $56 Fido phone plan. If I want a newer phone like the Google Pixel, I need to jump to a $90/ monthly plan..... telecommunications 'deals' in Ontario are disgusting.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    BF89905 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    BF89905 said:
    I've had a Moto X phone for more than two years now, for I have a nice $56 Fido phone plan. If I want a newer phone like the Google Pixel, I need to jump to a $90/ monthly plan..... telecommunications 'deals' in Ontario are disgusting.

$90 sounds really standard to me (which is brutal). My own plan is about that and has been for a long time, even with the crazy good $30/6GB data deal I have.... I do have unlimited international texting included in that though.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,844
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    evsgjamm said:
    Hey now... from what I hear, we Canadians have a pretty fancy technology that I was surprised American's had never heard of just two years ago when I was on a road trip through the USA... portable debit / visa machines at restaurants! Apparently ya'll don't have those! so booooo yeaaaaaa!!!!!! yeaaa!!!!!! yeeeeeeeeeAAAAAAAAAA!!! visaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!
    Haha. Really?? I think we're at the point in Canada where if they don't have a portable debit/CC machine to bring to the table we think there is something wrong with their business. :lol: I assumed the US had them everywhere. I haven't been to the States for a few years now (the exchange rate got really bad since I last went, so I have largely been avoiding going down there to spend money).
    You're talking about those square reading things that you can just run a credit card with right?
    We have them everywhere, one of the companies will actually give them for free if you want.
    Many restaurants actually use them too, especially the smaller ones. They just don't have the waitress bring it to you, they just go behind the counter and swipe it.
    What is becoming more popular is ordering in line, then having the waitress bring the food. Those almost always have those portable ones. I hate it, because they ask for a tip before the service even begins and I never know how much to leave.
    Square reading things? No, we're talking about an actual debit/credit card machine that is brought to your table (the whole point is to NOT have the server take your card away from you, to improve security, while also improving convenience). They look like this:

Yes we have those and literally every store lol. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,141
    We have google fiber which is pretty good.  1000mb/s download & upload speed, unlimited data $75/month.  

This phone prices sound steep. My phone plan is $140/month for 3 iPhone 7 lines and unlimited data.  No contract, no limits, and when new phones come out I can upgrade for $20.  I use my business though so I'm guessing it gets me a better deal?

and yeah, we've had those portable card swipe things for a long ass time.  I'm thinking I first saw them about 10 years ago.  I think they're a pain in the ass.  Almost as much a pain in the ass as the chip insert bullshit on our debit cards/credit cards now.  I'll swipe and take the risk, thanks. Fuck that, I don't have time for this shit.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    evsgjamm said:

Well yeah, obviously, those are standard in stores. But we're talking specifically about wireless ones in restaurants that the servers bring to your table. evsgjamm says they don't really do that in the States?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    A few restaurants do but definitely not all.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    evsgjamm said:

Well yeah, obviously, those are standard in stores. But we're talking specifically about wireless ones in restaurants that the servers bring to your table. evsgjamm says they don't really do that in the States?

Yeah, I noticed these a lot when I was following Pearl Jam across Canada in 2011 and Europe in 2012.  
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,997
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    evsgjamm said:

I've seen those here too. But what is more common are the ones that run through your phone or tablet. Does the exact same thing, they just plug the reader thing into the phone or tablet.
    I havent seen a waitress bring it around. I like the idea, not for security reasons. Just when I'm ready to leave to flag the waitress down, tell her we're ready for the check, she comes back 5 minutes later to drop it off. Comes back 5 minutes after that to pick it up. Comes back again 5 minutes later to drop it back off. Process takes 15-20 minutes in a busy restaurant. Seems much more efficient the Canadian way with the 1 stop.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    evsgjamm said:

I've seen those here too. But what is more common are the ones that run through your phone or tablet. Does the exact same thing, they just plug the reader thing into the phone or tablet.
    I havent seen a waitress bring it around. I like the idea, not for security reasons. Just when I'm ready to leave to flag the waitress down, tell her we're ready for the check, she comes back 5 minutes later to drop it off. Comes back 5 minutes after that to pick it up. Comes back again 5 minutes later to drop it back off. Process takes 15-20 minutes in a busy restaurant. Seems much more efficient the Canadian way with the 1 stop.
    For sure. When we ask for the bill we just tell them that we need the machine, and they bring it with the bill, and stand there while we do out thing. All done, so convenient. :)
  • Options
    Are you able to tip with those machines?
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    mcgruff10 said:
    Are you able to tip with those machines?
    Yes, they have a tip option, and the best part is that you can choose a dollar amount for the tip, or a percentage of the total. I always use the percentage option so I don't have to do the calculation in my head.