Options

RIP Jerry Lewis

Dean and Jerry. Jerry's Kids. Jerry Lewis Telethon.

He was a national treasure.

RIP

Please post your memories!

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    He reminds me a bit of Cassavettes here:

But I really remember him mostly like this:

He helped a lot of people in many ways, even just by making us laugh.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,709
    When I was a kid we went to a drive in to see a Jerry Lewis move and I laughed so hard I almost peed my pants.  And what a really great guy.  He gave us so many laughs.  R.I.P. Jerry Lewis.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    My Mother was a huge Dean Martin fan and I remember her making us watch the movie Pardners because she thought it was a funny movie.  I was a little young to appreciate the humour that Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis brought at the time.  
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Well, I am now catching Don Rickles roast Jerry.  I may love him more than Lewis.

(ok, I'll admit it.  I LOVE RICKLES.)

As to Dino, my mom as well adored him.  Many years ago she and I and my stepdad went for dinner at La Famiglia, close to my home.  Old-school Italian place, and once seated in the red leather booth, well...there was Mr. Martin at the next table.  He was a wreck (shortly after losing his son) and it broke our hearts to see him so lost and broken.  Still, my mother swooned.  Like she'd seen Sinatra.

Shitload of photos of him there, but he looks so weak, it feels wrong to post any of them.

Hope the kiddos for whom Jerry rallied have had good, or at least, happy and mostly pain-free lives.

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,996
    hedonist said:
    Well, I am now catching Don Rickles roast Jerry.  I may love him more than Lewis.

(ok, I'll admit it.  I LOVE RICKLES.)

As to Dino, my mom as well adored him.  Many years ago she and I and my stepdad went for dinner at La Famiglia, close to my home.  Old-school Italian place, and once seated in the red leather booth, well...there was Mr. Martin at the next table.  He was a wreck (shortly after losing his son) and it broke our hearts to see him so lost and broken.  Still, my mother swooned.  Like she'd seen Sinatra.

Shitload of photos of him there, but he looks so weak, it feels wrong to post any of them.

Hope the kiddos for whom Jerry rallied have had good, or at least, happy and mostly pain-free lives.

Those roasts were racy back n the day.  People are too sensitive now to do anything like that in public again.

It was considered an "honor" to be called out by Rickles.

As for Lewis, I always liked him best with Dean Martin.  Their chemistry together was amazing.