Options

Which solo albums should I check out?

palm0014palm0014 Ottawa, ON Posts: 52
After reading about Mike's upcoming score being released, I realized I haven't really listened to much of the stuff by any members of the band band outside of PJ proper.

What other gems should I be picking up to listen to?

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited August 2017
    Assuming Eddie's solo albums are already on your radar, I won't mention those.
    I really enjoy Jeff's While My Heart Beats and Stone's Moonlander. I figure probably neither one is for every PJ fan, but I personally think both are very good, and totally their own.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    PJ_Soul said:
    Assuming Eddie's solo albums are already on your radar, I won't mention those.
    I really enjoy Jeff's While My Heart Beats and Stone's Moonlander. I figure probably neither one is for every PJ fan, but I personally think both are very good, and totally their own.
    I'll second this and throw in Mike's Gleason single w/Kim Virant.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Moonlander FTW!!!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    PJinILPJinIL satan's bed Posts: 431
    These aren't all solo projects, but are side projects:

I'll +1 Moonlander, I'd say it has a more light-hearted feel overall than Bayleaf.

A pretty easy transition of style would be to check out Brad. It's a little more groovy than edgy. Interiors is a great album, then Shame, Discovery Park, and Best Friends would be my order

RNDM is great, I prefer Acts to Ghostriding, but it too, has grown on me. 

Three Fish is super awesome, definite middle-eastern vibe and influence in the Quiet Table. The first album is more raw and has some industrial feel to it in the sounds used.

Tres Mtns isn't a go-to for me, but there are times it just does the trick for the mood. 

Happy listening!

It's amazing what you hear when you take time to listen.
  • Options
    (as mentioned, they are not solo albums, but I 2nd the awesomeness of RNDM. I love them. And yes, Three Fish is cool too..... I think Jeff is by far the best when it comes to side projects)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    palm0014palm0014 Ottawa, ON Posts: 52
    Solo projects, side projects, all are valid!  Sounds like Moonlander is immediate go-to considering everyone mentioning it.  Thanks to all and keep them coming!
  • Options
    If you really like drum solos, check out Drumgasm, which is half an hour or more of just really awesome freestyle drumming. It's Matt Cameron with Janet Weiss and Zach Hill.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
  • Options
    rw160510rw160510 Posts: 909
    edited August 2017
    The ones I reach for most are Brad, Moonlander and RNDM acts, but I also really like Bayleaf.
  • Options
    JP33JP33 Posts: 1,348
    palm0014 said:
    After reading about Mike's upcoming score being released, I realized I haven't really listened to much of the stuff by any members of the band band outside of PJ proper.

palm0014 said:

Like these guys are saying......Jeffs......Heart....that's a good one
  • Options
    drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    rw160510 said:
    The ones I reach for most are Brad, Moonlander and RNDM acts, but I also really like Bayleaf.
    That about sums it up for me as well! Although I also highly recommend Wellwater Conspiracy, particularly "The Scroll and its Combinations" and the self-titled album after that. Very different from PJ, but very cool.
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Does Mirror Ball count? Because that one isn't too bad. ;) Not sure it does count though, since it's catalogued as a Neil Young album only (I think).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    I loved three fish back in the day. After one of their shows I met jeff and talked/drank a beer  him with him for around ten minutes. Really really cool dude.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,354
    RNDM. They are awesome.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    PJ_Soul said:
    Does Mirror Ball count? Because that's one isn't too bad. ;) Not sure it does count though, since it's catalogued as a Neil Young album only (I think).
    It should and yes, I believe it is!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    JP33JP33 Posts: 1,348
    palm0014 said:

12 bar blues ......Scott Weiland! .......not that's an amazing underated album
  • Options
    ED477ED477 Posts: 134
    Don't forget Jeff's first solo album "Tone". Three Fish also has some tracks that were only available on the vinyl releases. 
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,885
    RNDM 100%
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    ED477 said:
    Don't forget Jeff's first solo album "Tone". Three Fish also has some tracks that were only available on the vinyl releases. 
    Yes, Tone is good too.
  • Options
    rndm
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,864
    edited August 2017
    Stone Bayleaf, best solo project IMO
  • Options
    lowenanlowenan Posts: 79
    Brad with Interiors and Wellwater Conspiracy with Brotherhood Of Electric are both very good.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,942
    edited August 2017
    I really enjoy While My Heart Beats by Jeff. I have Tone on CD somewhere but don't remember how it is. 

Mad Season you should check out. And ofc Eddies two solo albums.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"