8/12/17 Google and the birth of Hip Hop!

Go to Google home screen and click on the icon and take a trip into Hip Hop history.

Pretty cool and you get a DJ tutorial too!

Check it out and let me know what you think.

Christopher

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Yeah, that was kind of fun and some interesting history. 

I have to admit though, though, to agreeing with the notion that the person who does the scratching is not a musician.  They are a "record player player".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyRDDOpKaLM

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    I get that's a bit, and it's pretty funny at that, but Rollins general stance is pretty closed minded. I don't think anyone who spins records considers that musicianship. But electronic musicians are legit musicians. Just because they are profienct in an arpeggiator or 808 instead of a piano or drums doesn't make them less legitimate. 

Anyway, the google doodle is pretty cool. 
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    that was pretty cool
    Go to Google home screen and click on the icon and take a trip into Hip Hop history.

Pretty cool and you get a DJ tutorial too!

Check it out and let me know what you think.

Christopher

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    Only three people huh?  Oh well.

@brianlux from the great CHuck D

"Beat is for Sonny Bono, beat is for Yoko Ono
    Run-DMC first said a deejay could be a band
    Stand on its feet, get you out your seat"

P-Diddy on electronic and making music "it's not as easy as you think"
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Only three people huh?  Oh well.

@brianlux from the great CHuck D

"Beat is for Sonny Bono, beat is for Yoko Ono
    Run-DMC first said a deejay could be a band
    Stand on its feet, get you out your seat"

P-Diddy on electronic and making music "it's not as easy as you think"
    Ya, Henry kind of hits it hard... but that's Henry. 

I'm just not that much of a hip hop fan but I will say I like some of the stuff Tribe Called Quest and Wu Tang Clan.  And all of the music in the film "Ghost Dog" was great, so much so, I see it as an essential, integral part of the film and that movie is one of my all-time top favorites.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I was wondering if anyone here noticed this. I tried it out yesterday, pretty cool little game. Fab Five Freddy giving me DJ lessons on my phone. Google can be cool on occasion.
    I was wondering if anyone here noticed this. I tried it out yesterday, pretty cool little game. Fab Five Freddy giving me DJ lessons on my phone. Google can be cool on occasion.
    Absolutely!  I mentioned the DJ lesson in my post.

Glad you liked it.  This is also why I love the show The Get Down.
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815
    Chris @tempo_n_groove,  I tried clicking the Google icon on their home page but nothing happened. Is it still working on your end? I need a DJ lesson from Fab 5 to get Monday going!
    jjflash said:
    Chris @tempo_n_groove,  I tried clicking the Google icon on their home page but nothing happened. Is it still working on your end? I need a DJ lesson from Fab 5 to get Monday going!
    lol!

Here is the link.

https://www.google.com/doodles/44th-anniversary-of-the-birth-of-hip-hop

Click on the "play" button in the record in GOOGLE at the top.

Enjoy!
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815
    jjflash said:
    lol!

Here is the link.

Enjoy!
    NICE!!! :sunglasses: Hearing Fab 5 talk takes me back to watching Yo! MTV Raps waaaay back in the day. I used to set my alarm clock on Saturday mornings to wake up and watch it (back before the Internet and DVRs, ha). Three of my buddies would do the same then we'd call each other and be like, Man! Did you just see the new BDP video?!? Next step would be to get one of our parents to drive us to a record store where we'd buy a tape. Thanks for the trip down memory lane :wink:
    jjflash said:
    jjflash said:
    lol!

Here is the link.

Enjoy!
    NICE!!! :sunglasses: Hearing Fab 5 talk takes me back to watching Yo! MTV Raps waaaay back in the day. I used to set my alarm clock on Saturday mornings to wake up and watch it (back before the Internet and DVRs, ha). Three of my buddies would do the same then we'd call each other and be like, Man! Did you just see the new BDP video?!? Next step would be to get one of our parents to drive us to a record store where we'd buy a tape. Thanks for the trip down memory lane :wink:
    I initially hated YO MTV raps.  I thought it was a joke.  I did however love going to the 18&under clubs and dancing to the music.

Hearing the band Arrested Development really paved a different path for me as I started to delve deeper down the rap rabbit hole and finding Slick Rick, KRSone, Public Enemy, Ice T to name a few.

When I was living in Far Rockaway Queens until I was 10, I did break dancing and listened to rap during that time.  Run DMC and LL coo J were big. They were considered "local".  That was in 1984

My other family members spread out everywhere in the US would laugh and think it was odd that I liked break dancing, lol.