Ain't nobody praying for me

2»

Comments

• Thank gawd the high school teacher thing never worked out for you!

Look at a trade you might be good at. Pursue it. Be an academic on your own time. Academics do not get paid.
    Why do you say thank gawd teaching didn't work out?

I looked at a trade a few years ago to become an electrician, didn't like it and it just wasn't for me (same as teaching).
    The profession has been hit hard in the last two decades. The support for teachers from most stakeholders (employer, administration, public, parents) is extremely low.

It is not something I would recommend to anyone unless they simply couldn't help themselves.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    rollings said:
    I've decided to study to be a psychologist (which I really wanted to do over teaching but the very high entry requirements scare me).

Dude. Your post worried me. Your calling attention to yourself making threads like this.  Your mental health stuff is well documented in these forums. Thanks for being brave enough to share them with others, but seriously don't call attention like that. If your struggling say so. Like this, "hey guys, I'm upset about school not working out, this Kendrick Lamar song is really speaking to me lately." 
    Sorry man. :-(

don't be sorry. I like your approach better than that person's "suggestion". yours is cooler :murica:
    2 feign is right. as someone who suffers as well, he has taken time out of his day to check on me when I've posted an attention-seeking thread. I have only done that when I've been near my lowest. He's a therapist. He knows. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

but I will say, Thoughts, don't be sorry. there's nothing to be sorry about. I just get where Chris is coming from; knowing about you what we do, a thread like this can be concerning. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Thank gawd the high school teacher thing never worked out for you!

Look at a trade you might be good at. Pursue it. Be an academic on your own time. Academics do not get paid.

I looked at a trade a few years ago to become an electrician, didn't like it and it just wasn't for me (same as teaching).
    The profession has been hit hard in the last two decades. The support for teachers from most stakeholders (employer, administration, public, parents) is extremely low.

It is not something I would recommend to anyone unless they simply couldn't help themselves.
    all of my friends who are teachers (middle school, elementary) make probably double what I do. and they deserve every penny. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

all of my friends who are teachers (middle school, elementary) make probably double what I do. and they deserve every penny. 
    Imagine that: a nation that pays its educators a living wage.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:

Imagine that: a nation that pays its educators a living wage.
    there are huge flaws in how our teachers are treated, but yeah, they seem to be paid well. not sure what Thirty is referring to. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    rollings said:
    I've decided to study to be a psychologist (which I really wanted to do over teaching but the very high entry requirements scare me).

Dude. Your post worried me. Your calling attention to yourself making threads like this.  Your mental health stuff is well documented in these forums. Thanks for being brave enough to share them with others, but seriously don't call attention like that. If your struggling say so. Like this, "hey guys, I'm upset about school not working out, this Kendrick Lamar song is really speaking to me lately." 

don't be sorry. I like your approach better than that person's "suggestion". yours is cooler :murica:
    Given the OP's history, I agree with 2-feign. It was cryptic and worrying for those of us who know that history, not cool. Sorry OP, don't want to trash your post or anything, but posts like that come off as a cry for help, not as a cool song reference. Just saying that so that you know how caring people might react to things here.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Annafalk said:
    Annafalk said:
    Put up a goal for yourself and be determined to get to that goal. Work hard and don't hesitate to ask for help if needed.
    My goal is to get into honours then from there into masters so I can have the option to gain registration as a clinical psychologist or stick with academia and research. But the entry requirements are so high it scares me. Very very competitive.
    I really hope you'll reach your goal, you can do it! 
    Thanks Anna.
    Despite having excellent grades thus far in the psychology units I have completed I still fear not progressing to honours and masters.
    I am seeing a psychologist to work on this fear.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

Yeah, it's tough here in Australia too.
    Teachers are overworked, underpaid, underappreciated.
    The government here does not give enough funding.
    Plus parents treat teachers like punching bags, fail to place importance on education, fail to school their kids at home.
    I am vulnerable to stress so I don't think it would be wise for me to get into.
    Then there is the focus on data and comparing better than other schools which shift the focus away from the student and to the teachers who force curriculum onto students to drive up school performance (a behaviourist rather than humanist approach to education).
    There were other elements I experienced on my practicum that made me think this is not for me, I wouldn't have the passion teaching some subjects to 7th and 8th graders.
    In sum, it just didn't feel right to me, my heart said no.
    I'd rather run my own private practice working with patients than 25 students per class and school administrators. 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    PJ_Soul said:
    rollings said:

Given the OP's history, I agree with 2-feign. It was cryptic and worrying for those of us who know that history, not cool. Sorry OP, don't want to trash your post or anything, but posts like that come off as a cry for help, not as a cool song reference. Just saying that so that you know how caring people might react to things here.
    My online behaviour stinks when I am low.
    I regret it.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    In 2002, I planted an October Glory Maple behind my wife's store. When I brought it in, it was small enough to fit in the back of my van with the doors closed.   The trunk was only as thick as my thumb.  Over the years I've nursed it, tended it, watched over it, loved it, almost to the point of worshiping it.  In fifteen years it has grown to be a gloriously massive thing of beauty over three stories high with a nice, fat, sturdy truck, branches as thick as sailors arms and leaves that in the fall turn a fiery display of colors rarely seen here in the west .  Thinking they were somehow doing us a favor, someone who had no business doing so cut one of the large lower branches off and when I found out, I just about lost it.  I was devastated.  The tree is OK, but its symmetry is forever thrown off.  I sat down forlorn under "my" (it's really the store's) tree and put my face in my hands and nearly cried.  My wife came out, put her hand on my shoulder and said, "It will be fine, it's just a little damaged like the rest of us."

Ain't it so? 

Yeah, we're all a bit damaged.  But we'll be OK, if we try.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Brian?

I SAW PEARL JAM
    PJ_Soul said:
    rollings said:

I regret it.
    don't beat yourself up over it. I have done it many times. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_Soul said:
    rollings said:

I regret it.
    don't beat yourself up over it. I have done it many times. 
    Well... mostly with me.

But fortunately I like you unconditionally sooo... you got that going for you!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    dankind said:
    Brian?

Ha ha!  You guessed "Lux" is short for "Lorax"!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.