Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited November 2018
    Yeah, I've seen peanut butter jelly hamburgers too.
    I'm not surprised people are hesitant. I can barely get people to try a fried egg in their burger, let alone peanut butter!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    PJ_Soul said:
    I feel that I've finally landed on the best cooking method for the basic roasting of a whole chicken. I've tried all the different ways you find online (slow and low, hot and fast, cover with foil, stuff with whatever, etc).
    Put chicken on a roasting rack in a roasting pan with legs tied, pat dry, then spread butter all over it, and season liberally (I just use salt, pepper, and usually Montreal spice). Preheat oven to 475 degrees, lower to 400 degrees as soon as you put the thing in the oven, roast for about 27 minutes per pound (but there's nothing wrong with a meat thermometer - I just don't own one). Baste every 15 minutes as soon as there are enough juices in the pan to do so. Apply more butter if you want while basting. Cool for at least 15 minutes under a foil tent. This method has given me the juiciest, most perfectly cooked chicken. In fact, it was so juicy it was almost out of control. The juices were running all over the place while I was carving and I had to build paper towel dams, lol. But even when I reheated the breast in the microwave the next day, it was probably still more tender than a fresh breast has been straight out of the oven with some other recommended cooking temps and times.
    .... Just sayin', lol.
    I take a very similar approach to this. I believe F Me uses cast iron skillet, which I have not done and feel like it would be more difficult to get right
  • Options
    There is a bar by me that specializes in different burgers, one of them being bacon, PB and jelly.  Haven't been and not sure I'd get down with it.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    There is a bar by me that specializes in different burgers, one of them being bacon, PB and jelly.  Haven't been and not sure I'd get down with it.
    Can't hurt to try. If you hate it, just send it back. They'll give you something else. I've never been to any establishment that charged for something the customer finds inedible.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,401
    Matt's Bar  > 5-8 Club :wink:
    I have no dog in that disagreement. I’ll eat either of them!
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    PJ_Soul said:
    I feel that I've finally landed on the best cooking method for the basic roasting of a whole chicken. I've tried all the different ways you find online (slow and low, hot and fast, cover with foil, stuff with whatever, etc).
    Put chicken on a roasting rack in a roasting pan with legs tied, pat dry, then spread butter all over it, and season liberally (I just use salt, pepper, and usually Montreal spice). Preheat oven to 475 degrees, lower to 400 degrees as soon as you put the thing in the oven, roast for about 27 minutes per pound (but there's nothing wrong with a meat thermometer - I just don't own one). Baste every 15 minutes as soon as there are enough juices in the pan to do so. Apply more butter if you want while basting. Cool for at least 15 minutes under a foil tent. This method has given me the juiciest, most perfectly cooked chicken. In fact, it was so juicy it was almost out of control. The juices were running all over the place while I was carving and I had to build paper towel dams, lol. But even when I reheated the breast in the microwave the next day, it was probably still more tender than a fresh breast has been straight out of the oven with some other recommended cooking temps and times.
    .... Just sayin', lol.
    I take a very similar approach to this. I believe F Me uses cast iron skillet, which I have not done and feel like it would be more difficult to get right
    The cast iron is the way to go!
    (Whatever works best for you, of course, is what you should use)

Just destroyed a choped salad and some pork tacos

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Whipped up some Kraft macaroni and cheese and threw in some hotdog chunks for the kid this afternoon. Not embarrassed to say that I throughly enjoyed shoveling it into my face! 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Skrimp Dumplings and pork egg noodles soup.  A shitton of hot sauce.
    I love that stuff!

• Options
    Put too much Pepper Chocolate Last Dab Redux on leftover tacos
    Stuff is absolutely brutal.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    One of the guys that does wing night with us got a bottle of Da Bomb Beyond Insanity.  Fuck that shit. Had the hiccups for a solid couple minutes.
  • Options
    Awesome.  Wondered what a serious hot sauce person would think.  I'm never buying that, although I would have a small amount on something to try and laugh.
  • Options
    Was it as horrible tasting as everyone makes it out to be?
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,450
    One of the guys that does wing night with us got a bottle of Da Bomb Beyond Insanity.  Fuck that shit. Had the hiccups for a solid couple minutes.

when I was on the FD, the “guys” paid another guy 100 bucks to drink a WHOLE BOTTLE of dave’s insanity sauce. he nearly died. I asked the on duty captain if he had thought to maybe put the kibosh on that. he said, “hmmmm, maybe I should have.”
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Not really all that hot but like this hot sauce a lot.
  • Options
    Dave's Insanity it lethal!
    They have a number of versions....anyway he went I bet that was horrible

Normal stuff....buttermilk chicken.
    24 hours in the fridge before I cook tomorrow

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Was it as horrible tasting as everyone makes it out to be?
    It doesn’t have much of a taste profile; built strictly for heat. 
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I've been playing with fire lately.
     I've bemoaned extensively the loss of my entire pepper crop to a fuckwad deer this past season.  I finally ran out of 2017's cayenne peppers, so I threw what I had in the grinder for hot pepper flakes...what I had was Scotch Bonnets and Carolina Reapers.
    Woweeeee!  My first experience with using them directly, it was quite uncomfortable.  I made tomato soup and added two shakes...here I am  noodling a piece of pepper around on the tip of my tongue as I am wont to do with any small bit of something in a soup, and suddenly it occurs to my tongue, and then my brain, that this is no cayenne pepper!!!  It only lasted about 10 minutes, but...damn.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Lol.  Cooking with Reapers seems like a poor idea! 

(I would enjoy trying but imagine most would not)
  • Options
    Lamb shank day
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Lol.  Cooking with Reapers seems like a poor idea! 

(I would enjoy trying but imagine most would not)
    They have pungency and flavor to match the piquancy, I've never tasted another pepper to rival the floral/citrus punch they have.  If properly diluted, they are amazing in practically any sauce.  Even properly diluted though, you have to like it pretty hot lol

I'd love it if they came out with a half-heat version.  I know that Reapers are a cross between 2 capsicum chinense varieties, the red habanero and Trinidad Scorpion, I think.
    Ghost peppers (bhut jolokia) are a cross between a chinense and capsicum fretescens...I really think the ghost pepper is incredibly bland, so I would be leary of crossing a Reaper with a frutescens to temper the heat...I wonder if a cross with a capsicum anuum is likely to work?  I'm sure there's some interesting genetic stuff going on there.

Probably there's already a capsicum chinense variety in some local Asian cuisine that has the flavor with half the heat and I just don't know about it.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    I would like that flavor w/out the burnt o ring.  ;)
  • Options
    Verdict on the buttermilk bath for the birds?
    Meh.  Not a big difference between the dry brine and this, imo.  If you have issues with drying out your bird, go for it.  
    They were grinding either way.
    Had to break out the large cast iron since we went side by side this evening.

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,248
    Well it was a pretty shitty football Sunday in the Eagle household...except for this exquisite little feast:

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Well it was a pretty shitty football Sunday in the Eagle household...except for this exquisite little feast:

Looks good. What’s the green stuff?
  • Options
    Looks good. Shoulda put that fucker on the grill. You like a bitter sandwich. Looks good though
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840

Looks good. What’s the green stuff?
    Looks like broccoli rabe. If so that sandwich you made is incredible. Dinic’s rules. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options

Braised Lamb shanks over polenta. Big ass shrimp. Those two are over a quarter pound
  • Options
    Some good eats right there, from you both 

• Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,835

Braised Lamb shanks over polenta. Big ass shrimp. Those two are over a quarter pound
    What sauce did you put over the lamb?