The Food Thread

Comments

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Need ideas for potluck at work tomorrow...
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    Went to my favorite pho joint in St. Paul tonight. A hot tub of noodles with a bahn mi on the side.  So damn good!
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Went to my favorite pho joint in St. Paul tonight. A hot tub of noodles with a bahn mi on the side.  So damn good!
    Good shit. I may have to take down a bahn mi today. What do you have going on in the pho?
    Today is National Sandwich Day, so I went out for lunch.

Genoa salami, ham, bacon, spring greens, tomato, cucumber, jalapenos, mayo, mustard, salt & pepper on lightly toasted sourdough. 
    Could’ve used fresher tomato (I actually picked a slice off) but otherwise a pretty good deli sandwich.
    Good shit. I may have to take down a bahn mi today. What do you have going on in the pho?
    Fish, shrimp and pork.
    Inspired me

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Inspired me

Damn. I'm drooling.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    I smoked a brisket yesterday

MayDay10 said:
    I smoked a brisket yesterday

Hot damn.  That looks good. Well done.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Very well done, how'd you get such a nice crust without drying it out?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Im not sure what made this bark so good, but in about 10 briskets I have smoked, this was the best.  I even did the Texas Crutch which is supposed to goo-up the bark a bit.  I started using Kosher Salt and Cracked Black Pepper for my last 2 briskets and I will never go back to any fancy concoctions.  

I did this for a camping trip next weekend (and donated a pack to my father in law). Had a sandwich myself and vacusealed everything else.

about 24 hours before smoking, I trim as much fat as I can, leaving a layer. take equal parts kosher salt & course black pepper and rub all over. I also stick a couple toothpicks in to guide me later the direction of the grain. Wrap in cellophane or this annoying cling paper my wife buys and store the fridge overnight. I used to use yellow mustard to stick the rub on, but I learned that rub basically just sticks to the meat anyways. 

Smoke on the Weber Smokey mountain fat cap upwards at 225 degrees plus or minus 15 degrees or so (always shooting for 225). Usually use Hickory and/or Cherry wood. Never open the lid until its done (unless I employ the Texas crutch). When the meat hits 195, I wrap tightly in foil, and in a towel and rest in a cooler for 1-2 hours. Then I slice. When I slice I try to extract the excess fat. 

Its pretty simple I think. The more you research these things, you get so much conflicting information it becomes daunting.

• NinetytworulesNinetytworules Boston Posts: 454
    rgambs said:
    I use Kosmo Q’s injection. Keeps the brisket nice and juicy. I go with the hot and fast method. 300 for about 5 hours. I wrap it around 3 hrs. 
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    rgambs said:
    I use Kosmo Q’s injection. Keeps the brisket nice and juicy. I go with the hot and fast method. 300 for about 5 hours. I wrap it around 3 hrs. 
    Nobody asked you, new guy.

:tongue:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • NinetytworulesNinetytworules Boston Posts: 454
    dankind said:
    rgambs said:

Hey!!!

👌
    dankind said:
    rgambs said:

Hey!!!

👌
    Dammit! Made me look. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Tomorrow is gonna be just lovely. A nice habano while this motherfucker sits on the grill.

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Was in London last night for the Greta Van Fleet show. Had a pre concert feed at this cool Vietnamese place close to where I was staying.

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Looks great!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Lots of Pho in here the past few weeks. Good stuff.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    MayDay10 said:
    Im not sure what made this bark so good, but in about 10 briskets I have smoked, this was the best.  I even did the Texas Crutch which is supposed to goo-up the bark a bit.  I started using Kosher Salt and Cracked Black Pepper for my last 2 briskets and I will never go back to any fancy concoctions.  

I did this for a camping trip next weekend (and donated a pack to my father in law). Had a sandwich myself and vacusealed everything else.

about 24 hours before smoking, I trim as much fat as I can, leaving a layer. take equal parts kosher salt & course black pepper and rub all over. I also stick a couple toothpicks in to guide me later the direction of the grain. Wrap in cellophane or this annoying cling paper my wife buys and store the fridge overnight. I used to use yellow mustard to stick the rub on, but I learned that rub basically just sticks to the meat anyways. 

Smoke on the Weber Smokey mountain fat cap upwards at 225 degrees plus or minus 15 degrees or so (always shooting for 225). Usually use Hickory and/or Cherry wood. Never open the lid until its done (unless I employ the Texas crutch). When the meat hits 195, I wrap tightly in foil, and in a towel and rest in a cooler for 1-2 hours. Then I slice. When I slice I try to extract the excess fat. 

Its pretty simple I think. The more you research these things, you get so much conflicting information it becomes daunting.

Recently got a smoker, but haven't tried doing a brisket yet.  Have just done pulled pork, pork belly and ribs.  It seems that brisket is the hardest one to get right....will be trying it in the next few weeks.  Looks like yours turned out great!
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Want to do this....need to get a smoker and won't be home for Thanksgiving so I need to find an excuse to smoke a turkey.

Looks amazing:

I made a peanut butter and hot pepper jelly bacon burger last night and it was awesome.
    Want to do this....need to get a smoker and won't be home for Thanksgiving so I need to find an excuse to smoke a turkey.

Looks amazing:

Today is national pickle day. Try smoking one of those.
    I SAW PEARL JAM

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited November 2018
    I feel that I've finally landed on the best cooking method for the basic roasting of a whole chicken. I've tried all the different ways you find online (slow and low, hot and fast, cover with foil, stuff with whatever, etc).
    Put chicken on a roasting rack in a roasting pan with legs tied, pat dry, then spread butter all over it, and season liberally (I just use salt, pepper, and usually Montreal spice). Preheat oven to 475 degrees, lower to 400 degrees as soon as you put the thing in the oven, roast for about 27 minutes per pound (but there's nothing wrong with a meat thermometer - I just don't own one). Baste every 15 minutes as soon as there are enough juices in the pan to do so. Apply more butter if you want while basting. Cool for at least 15 minutes under a foil tent. This method has given me the juiciest, most perfectly cooked chicken. In fact, it was so juicy it was almost out of control. The juices were running all over the place while I was carving and I had to build paper towel dams, lol. But even when I reheated the breast in the microwave the next day, it was probably still more tender than a fresh breast has been straight out of the oven with some other recommended cooking temps and times.
    .... Just sayin', lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    rgambs said:
    I made a peanut butter and hot pepper jelly bacon burger last night and it was awesome.
    Sounds good. I’ve done the peanut butter and jelly burger before. It was surprisingly good.
    rgambs said:
    Sounds good. I’ve done the peanut butter and jelly burger before. It was surprisingly good.
    Is that a thing people do?  I didn't know, I thought it was unique lol
    There's a local bar that has a peanut butter bacon burger on the menu that most people won't give a chance.  I did, and I had them add jalapenos and it was delicious, but I thought it needed jelly too for a little sweetness to round it out.  The hot pepper jelly was perfect.

Definitely done a PB&J burger and I agree pepper jelly is the way to go. Or you can do apple jelly & jalapenos if you dont have pepper jelly available. Chop up some bacon & add to the jelly.  Oh and I like to mix a little ancho powder in the peanut butter.
    Breakfast burger... Take a potato roll, dip it in waffle batter and fry it in a waffle iron. Light drizzle of maple syrup on the heel, fried green tomato slice, half beef/half sausage patty, fried ham slice, egg over easy, bun crown. Yum.
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Is that a thing people do?  I didn't know, I thought it was unique lol
    There's a local bar that has a peanut butter bacon burger on the menu that most people won't give a chance.  I did, and I had them add jalapenos and it was delicious, but I thought it needed jelly too for a little sweetness to round it out.  The hot pepper jelly was perfect.

The 5-8 Club in the Twin Cities has a PB&J Lucy which is a take on the famous Juicy Lucy. (A Juicy Lucy is hallmark of the Twin Cities food scene. Just google it...) It consists of peanut butter and American cheese stuffed into the middle of the burger patty then topped with strawberry jelly. As I mentioned, surprisingly good.