The Food Thread

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    You know, I never look past the Ramen/Pho on the menu so I am not sure.  Isn't Cashew Chicken a Chinese dish?  There are a few of these noddle-broth bowls from different regions of China but I dont remember the names they go by.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    In Philly, the main Pho spots are Pho spots.  There are a few Vietnamese restaurants that have a variety of stuff, including Pho, but the main Pho spots are basically Pho and only Pho.

That said, there are also a ton of Vietnamese bakerys in the same area that have Bahn Mi and other goodies.  So I'd assume that if you are getting legit Pho, there will be other good stuff around there, if not at the same place

• DisgruntledDisgruntled Under that sign congregating Posts: 235
    Just found the food lovers thread - oh yea
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    Damn, you won't need to eat again until Dinner.

Or, maybe tomorrow.

Looks great!
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    You know, I never look past the Ramen/Pho on the menu so I am not sure.  Isn't Cashew Chicken a Chinese dish?  There are a few of these noddle-broth bowls from different regions of China but I dont remember the names they go by.
    It's an American Chinese restaurant dish lol

My wife is allergic to cashews so we can't eat at many Asian restaurants because they always have it.  Even higher-end places (which are never as good as the hole-in-the-wall joints usually have it.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:
    It's an American Chinese restaurant dish lol

My wife is allergic to cashews so we can't eat at many Asian restaurants because they always have it.  Even higher-end places (which are never as good as the hole-in-the-wall joints usually have it.
    Most of the American-Chinese places I need to order whatever hot they have on the menu or I tend not to like it.
    If they are specialized places I can dig it.
    There was a Szechuan place in LA that I still dream about.

• jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    Pho vs Ramen - who wins?
    (I go Ramen but damn they are both good when done right!)
    I’m a fan of noodles in general. In the twin cities though it’s pho. We have a huge population of folks from Southeast Asia. One of the main corridors in St. Paul is officially referred to as the “Little Mekong” and we have two giant Hmong market places, so pho it is.

There are a handful of ramen places that are ok. Our sushi scene is ok as well. We just don’t have a large Japanese population/influence here. That said, there was a Japanese noodle house in St. Paul that was absolutely killer. The proprietor was from Japan and made all her noodles from scratch daily. Lots of great mushroom broths as well. Unfortunately, she decided to retire and shut the place down about a year ago.
    That all sounds delicious!
  • NinetytworulesNinetytworules Boston Posts: 454
    Chicken swarma, red pepper hummus and a salad. Still trying to recover from last weeks dietary shit show in Chicago!!
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Baked ziti.

I’m full just looking at it. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Just some maters
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,438
    dankind said:
    Baked ziti.

Looks like Hambuger Helper, I'm sure it tastes way better though
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    BLACK35 said:
    dankind said:
    Baked ziti.

It wasn’t hamburger helper, but it might as well have been. Baked ziti is garbage food. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    rgambs said:

Just some maters
    Knife
    Salt
    Oregano

holy shit!

Those look good.

dankind said:
    BLACK35 said:
    dankind said:
    Baked ziti.

It wasn’t hamburger helper, but it might as well have been. Baked ziti is garbage food. 
    If I never have baked ziti again it would be too soon.  I mean, I don't hate it, but...every...single...party...in....philadelphia....has baked ziti, and 9 times out of 10 it's crap.  The wife's fam makes some good baked ziti, but I just have no interest.
    Chicken swarma, red pepper hummus and a salad. Still trying to recover from last weeks dietary shit show in Chicago!!
    This is my kinda food, man.  Hummus looks good,
    dankind said:
    BLACK35 said:
    dankind said:
    Baked ziti.

If I never have baked ziti again it would be too soon.  I mean, I don't hate it, but...every...single...party...in....philadelphia....has baked ziti, and 9 times out of 10 it's crap.  The wife's fam makes some good baked ziti, but I just have no interest.
    I personally love the variety of this dish.  I have had it done well a number of different ways.  I bury the ricotta and top with the parm and mozzarella and have that shit bubbling.  More about the cheese than the meat, for me. 
    Have had it lighter on cheese and be great, heavier on the beef and be great, and even with shit like sour cream (gah!) in there and have it be good.
    The one, unforgivable, sin is to fuck up the pasta.  My best guess as to how people do this is perhaps they cook the noodles to the time on the package (facepalm) before baking?
    This looks good, though.  The only time I consider baked ziti to be garbage food is when the person is lost on cooking the pasta.

dankind said:
    BLACK35 said:
    dankind said:
    Baked ziti.

I personally love the variety of this dish.  I have had it done well a number of different ways.  I bury the ricotta and top with the parm and mozzarella and have that shit bubbling.  More about the cheese than the meat, for me. 
    Have had it lighter on cheese and be great, heavier on the beef and be great, and even with shit like sour cream (gah!) in there and have it be good.
    The one, unforgivable, sin is to fuck up the pasta.  My best guess as to how people do this is perhaps they cook the noodles to the time on the package (facepalm) before baking?
    This looks good, though.  The only time I consider baked ziti to be garbage food is when the person is lost on cooking the pasta.

It was good, but it's still basically eating garbage. Same with lasagna and goulash. Good dishes but garbage. Great for getting back from a night out and needing a boozemop.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    BLACK35 said:
    dankind said:
    Baked ziti.

It was good, but it's still basically eating garbage. Same with lasagna and goulash. Good dishes but garbage. Great for getting back from a night out and needing a boozemop.
    Yeah, you have a good point, there.

Stumble in
    Turn the light on *low*
    Split a long hoagie roll down one side
    Slather with butter
    Scoop baked ziti from the fridge tray onto the hoagie
    Push it down it down with the knife so that it is smashed into the hoagie, leaving a bit of bread on top
    Hit it with some garlic or garlic salt
    Crack a fresh beer
    Sit down and turn on your favorite drunk TV
    Pound down food & beer
    Repeat as needed
    Pass out on couch

That sounds good 

Slow cooked a pork butt with a few strips of bacon, Hawaiian salt, and minced garlic for 16 hours. Shredded it. Mixed up a tomatillo/avocado sauce, and plated it on white rice. The wife requested I eat some veggies so I threw some baby romaine on the side.
    Good god that looks glorious
    Hahaha.  Tossed a few pieces of lettuce on and have veggies covered.
    Excellent?
    edited August 2018
    Hahaha.  Tossed a few pieces of lettuce on and have veggies covered.
    Excellent?
    The lettuce?  Not really.

The hog and sauce? Very excellent!

Here's the recipe for the pork:

Get a nice 4-6lb pork butt roast with a nice layer of fat on the top of it.
    Take 6-8 strips of bacon lay them out covering the bottom of a Slow cooker (or crockpot if you call it that). Place the pork butt on top of the bed of bacon with the fat side up. Take a tablespoon or two of minced garlic and Hawaiian salt and rub it on top of the fat of the roast. Put the cover on and set the cooker on low. Cook on low for 16 hours or so. Take out and shredd with meat claws, or pull apart with fork.  I will usually start the cooking around 10pm. Right before bed and let it go till 4-5pm the next afternoon.
    Post edited by jerparker20 on
    Very nice!
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Artichokes. 

Mayo or melted butter?
    Was a place I used to frequent that made some thousand island type of sauce and I loved that.
    Many times I just go plain and still love them.

What do you do?

• HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Mayo.

That's how I ate them as a kid. Guess it just stuck.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Artichokes - a drizzle of olive oil and cracked black pepper.

But speaking of mayo vs butter - over the weekend some friends and I did a blind grilled cheese challenge.  One friend claimed that making a grilled cheese with mayo on the bread is far superior than using butter.  Another claimed that butter was the way to go.  So she made us all one of each sandwich (cue the jokes) and the rest of us did the taste test and voting.  Mayo won unanimously, 5-0.
    Artichokes - a drizzle of olive oil and cracked black pepper.

But speaking of mayo vs butter - over the weekend some friends and I did a blind grilled cheese challenge.  One friend claimed that making a grilled cheese with mayo on the bread is far superior than using butter.  Another claimed that butter was the way to go.  So she made us all one of each sandwich (cue the jokes) and the rest of us did the taste test and voting.  Mayo won unanimously, 5-0.
    I think that sounds....wrong.  But, 5-0 in voting does lend some credibility to it.

Will have to try this at some point.  The boys get grilled cheese a lot and I make a mean GC...but there is nothing fancy about it.  Bread/Cheese(s)/Butter.  Perhaps I will make 2 next time and one with/ one without and halve them and give each kid one to see what they think.
    In general I am not a Mayo fan but there are certain things I like it with.