The Food Thread

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    That sounds like tasty grub.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    edited March 2018
    I know we typed about Ugly Delicious and David Chang here....have any of y'all seen the BBQ episode?
    The evil David (not Chang) who dares to eat the Donkey in Beijing and likes it so much he says he will eat Donkey dick and balls?  That fucking killed it.
    Quite possibly my favorite scene from any food show - and I have watched lots and lots of them

I'm not saying I want to eat Donkey dicks and donkey balls - but I love that guy's spirit.  He's  right.  I would have tried the Donkey as well.

Shit.  Now I'm Donkey Curious.
    :lol:
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    I’ll eat anything once 
  • NinetytworulesNinetytworules Boston Posts: 454
    Made a ramen bowl tonight using the recipe from Dave Chang’s Momofuko cookbook. Takes 7 hours to make the broth but it was worth it!!! 
    Serious broth!  Looks great
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    That looks amazing. I’ve never had ramen before other than the 30 cent packs from the grocery store. There’s a place not far from me that’s supposed to have amazing ramen bowls, have to get there soon. 
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    That bowl looks like it could rival - or take over - a Jewish mama's chicken noodle soup!

Also, Gruff has earned some major fucking points.  Well done, man.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    RiotZact said:
    That looks amazing. I’ve never had ramen before other than the 30 cent packs from the grocery store. There’s a place not far from me that’s supposed to have amazing ramen bowls, have to get there soon. 
    Nothing beats a real ramen shop!
    RiotZact said:
    Nothing beats a real ramen shop!
    I will take a real ramen shop's cousin, a real pho shop, most days of the week.
    I love Japanese food -- love, love, love....but I tend to side with the Vietnamese treatment of soup-y goodness these days.  Both are wonderful, but one is more readily available, cheaper, and feels 'lighter' to me.

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited March 2018
    I've paid something like $30 for a bowl of ramen from Momofuku Noodle Bar, and I much prefer the 30¢ brick next to the soy sauce in the supermarket.

Besides phở > ramen (even @F Me In The Brain knows this to be true).
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    I do love good ramen, though.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Wow most of that Oscar babble was painful but I actually laughed at this:

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Made Italian sausages today. My butcher hooked me up with real intestines for the casing. He passed them to me and said, "You don't want to know where those come from." I laughed but it did make me think. :s They were a bit hardcore, (especially the smell), but they did the trick. Going to brown them and cook them for a few hours in a ragu.

The mob used to employ a butcher shop in my old Brooklyn neighborhood for disposing of hits. There were stories that some were turned into sausages and fed to enemies who knew the recently deceased before they then got whacked. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    awesome  (both posts!)
    This older dude my wife knew from her job in NYC told some wild stories from growing up there back in the day. Apparently, the townhouse across from the apartment we lived in at the time was once owned by a guy who fell out of the mob's good graces. After whacking him, they pinned his heart to the front door with a knife for his family to discover when they got back from church.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited March 2018
    dankind said:
    I've paid something like $30 for a bowl of ramen from Momofuku Noodle Bar, and I much prefer the 30¢ brick next to the soy sauce in the supermarket.

Besides phở > ramen (even @F Me In The Brain knows this to be true).
    I think Sapporo Ichiban noodles are the best out there by a long shot. A little more expensive. Like $1.30 CAD per brick, lol. But they are literally better than any noodle I've ever had dining out.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited March 2018
    I don't mean to snob out on you but you have not eaten at some of the places I have eaten at if that brick is better than any noodles you have had out..  Some are nothing special, cost wise, but make amazing fresh pasta.  Some are pricey and amazing.  
    I would be willing to put my local Italian place's homemade noodles against any prepackaged items ten out of ten days.  The Italian folks in this area make some mean pasta 

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    I don't mean to snob out on you but you have not eaten at some of the places I have eaten at if that brick is better than any noodles you have had out..  Some are nothing special, cost wise, but make amazing fresh pasta.  Some are pricey and amazing.  
    I would be willing to put my local Italian place's homemade noodles against any prepackaged items ten out of ten days.  The Italian folks in this area make some mean pasta 

I live in Vancouver, possibly the capital of noodle houses in the entire western world - you can barely walk 100 feet without hitting another noodle house. I guarantee you I've had what's considered the best... It's just that I prefer the texture of those Sapporo Ichiban noodles. They've got it figured out man. Of course, what else you put in it matters. The noodle brick is just the noodles. I'm not talking about an entire completed dish with other ingredients. Just the noodles themselves.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Do you consider pasta to be noodles?  Because Vancouver can lay no claim to being the capital of pasta in the western world.  For Asian noodles?  

Everyone has different tastes, so if you say it is your own 'best' that is the only answer for you. 

Glad you found it - being that cheap is a good trade-off when living in such an expensive city

edited March 2018
    Do you consider pasta to be noodles?  Because Vancouver can lay no claim to being the capital of pasta in the western world.  For Asian noodles?  

Everyone has different tastes, so if you say it is your own 'best' that is the only answer for you. 

Glad you found it - being that cheap is a good trade-off when living in such an expensive city

No, pasta is not noodles, lol. I'm talking ramen, pho, hot pot, etc.
    The brick is an okay trade off... I'm not really in love with cooking though. Again, these are just the best plain noodles, texture and flavour wise on their own (I think you may be overestimating the quality of the actual noodles used in these dishes TBH). Getting all the other shit one might want in a good noodle dish is not my forte. I mean, I could do it - I'm actually a very good cook. I just don't really like to cook. It's a real waste actually, lol. I've got a real natural talent for it that my mom nurtured, but nah. Not that fun for me.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    I'm glad my grandmother is dead because that fat old crank would scream if she heard someone say that Pasta was not Noodles.

Will have to see if they have that brick round these parts to try out.
    I'm glad my grandmother is dead because that fat old crank would scream if she heard someone say that Pasta was not Noodles.

Will have to see if they have that brick round these parts to try out.
    Pastas are types of noodles--just not the good types of noodles.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    I prefer pasta over Asian noodles by far... but it's pasta. Or pasta noodles works. Just noodles are always the Mr. Noodle kind. It's a fact!!! ;)
    Pasta bashing?
    I can go all 'Bubba Gump' on the types of pasta I love.
    edited March 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    I prefer pasta over Asian noodles by far... but it's pasta. Or pasta noodles works. Just noodles are always the Mr. Noodle kind. It's a fact!!! ;)

:rofl:
    Pasta bashing?
    I can go all 'Bubba Gump' on the types of pasta I love.
    Bubba Gumpino?
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Bubba Gumponi
    Bubba Gumponi
    You people and your -inos and -onis.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    Bubba Gumponi
    You people and your -inos and -onis.
    Speaking as an 'oni' of the 70s....