The Food Thread

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    polaris_x said:
    hey foodies ... looking to do a food crawl somewhere ... probably stateside ... i'm in toronto and my friend is in vancouver ... here's our criteria:

*  bikeable city ... plan to rent bikes to travel around
    *  good authentic food ... looking for divy hole in the wall / street food kind of places
    *  nice public places ... can't eat every minute of the day so to be able to chill in a park or a market would be cool

any suggestions?  take NYC off the list ... thanks
    NYC.
    Oh....take it off the list.  ;)
    So many choices.
    I would say:
    Philly, SF, Denver in that order.  SF is more of a walking town, to me.  (As is WDC) 
    I would go Philly.  I moved to this area in 2012 and I still haven't seen all of the cool shit in the city.  Great food, great divey places, good upscale places, some parks to hang in before nightfall.  Sweet Markets.  (Reading Terminal and Italian Market)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    polaris_x said:
    hey foodies ... looking to do a food crawl somewhere ... probably stateside ... i'm in toronto and my friend is in vancouver ... here's our criteria:

*  good authentic food ... looking for divy hole in the wall / street food kind of places
    *  nice public places ... can't eat every minute of the day so to be able to chill in a park or a market would be cool

NYC.
    So many choices.
    I would say:
    Philly, SF, Denver in that order.  SF is more of a walking town, to me.  (As is WDC) 
    I would go Philly.  I moved to this area in 2012 and I still haven't seen all of the cool shit in the city.  Great food, great divey places, good upscale places, some parks to hang in before nightfall.  Sweet Markets.  (Reading Terminal and Italian Market)
    thanks ... I was definitely thinking philly ... SF is good (especially during dungeness crab season) and despite the hills - it's pretty bikeable ...
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    polaris_x said:
    polaris_x said:

NYC.
    So many choices.
    I would say:
    thanks ... I was definitely thinking philly ... SF is good (especially during dungeness crab season) and despite the hills - it's pretty bikeable ...
    Yep, lots of good food and things to see in SF as well.  Never biked there but have walked all over that city.  It is a good workout either way.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    polaris_x said:
    polaris_x said:

NYC.
    So many choices.
    I would say:
    Philly is your town.  Such a good city.  Bike lanes (although not enough) that can get you around anywhere you want to go.  Can give you plenty of advice on everything you are looking for if you pick it.

Boston is another good option.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    polaris_x said:

Minneapolis.. in the summer.
    Thanks y'all ... will post suggestions when we finally pick a destination ...
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited January 2018
    polaris_x said:

Sounds like Portland, OR would fit your criteria.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited January 2018
    polaris_x said:
    polaris_x said:

NYC.
    So many choices.
    I would say:
    Philly is your town.  Such a good city.  Bike lanes (although not enough) that can get you around anywhere you want to go.  Can give you plenty of advice on everything you are looking for if you pick it.

Boston is another good option.
    Boston is not a good option for cycling.

I cycled everywhere in NYC (every borough except Staten Island), never rode the subway, and I had to quit for fear of my own safety after moving to Boston. The motorists here are out for cyclists' blood. Cambridge and Somerville are fine, but Boston proper is awful. A lot of horn honking, yelling out the window, and vehicular intimidation (read: running cyclists off the road).

Also, it's a culinary wasteland.

I do hear that Portland, Maine, is nice for this sort of thing.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    :rofl:
    Will you please open a "What Dankind Thinks About Massachusetts Today" thread?  We would all (almost all) enjoy the humor/anger and you might feel better having an outlet.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    polaris_x said:

Didn't see anyone's responses yet, but this is easily Philly.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Sounds like a ton of fun, I never thought of doing a vacation dedicated to food!?  
    Of course we always seek out the best local tastes when we travel, but an entire weekend devoted to the tasty pleasures of an area?  Dang-O, gonna have to run that by the boss!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    I was thinking Portland, OR as well but not sure how many direct flights go there from YVR and YYZ.  I've been to Porland, ME and its cool and hip but in terms of diversity of food - don't think it's there yet.

If anyone wants tips for Toronto - let me know ...
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    edited January 2018
    polaris_x said:
    I was thinking Portland, OR as well but not sure how many direct flights go there from YVR and YYZ.  I've been to Porland, ME and its cool and hip but in terms of diversity of food - don't think it's there yet.

If anyone wants tips for Toronto - let me know ...
    The Black Hoof alone is worth the trip. 
    Edit: In Toronto that is.
    edited January 2018
    Did a sous vide pork tenderloin last night with a farro, tomato, cucumber and herb salad and a nice green salad with mixed greens, bacon, walnuts,goat cheese, roasted beets and a nice oil, maple, lemon, mustard vinagrette. Was all banging.

today it's a white bean and sausage stew which goes perfectly with this wet winter day. 
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    How do you fight a Savage hangover?
    Go to home Depot and get some items to make a guy feel useful and eat half of this shit

* I ate about a quarter of it, but it did a great job.
    Did a chicken cutlet sandwich from shanks myself yesterday. Chicken cutlet, provolone and spinach on sarcones. Just amazing.
    Yesterday we did a couple strip steaks that were on sale and some cabbage fried up with bacon and onions and fingerling potatoes.  
    Cabbage is the best.
    rgambs said:
    Yesterday we did a couple strip steaks that were on sale and some cabbage fried up with bacon and onions and fingerling potatoes.  
    Cabbage is the best.
    I didn’t eat cabbage growing up as my family didn’t use it but have grown to really like it over the past few years. Sounds good 
    rgambs said:
    Cabbage is the best.
    I didn’t eat cabbage growing up as my family didn’t use it but have grown to really like it over the past few years. Sounds good 
    I fry/saute/stew cabbage all the time with various dishes, this was my first time frying it up with bacon.  Holy moly, those southern folks know what the hell they are doing!
    Habanero Lime Switchback craft beer hit sauce
    What I'm dipping some steamed skrimps in for dinner.  
    Grinding.

SUPER BOWL FOOD
    perhaps not this year but think of any year -- what are some of the best Super Bowl Foods you have made or seen?
    I recall cooking for hours last year...and the best thing actually turned out to be Chicken MarkNuggets
    (Mark Bittman wrote my bible)
    https://youtu.be/W3xPRy_XHbY

If I'm home this year, I am making them again.  But...what else?

I saved this in my favorites -- was it shared here, perhaps?  Not sure who showed it to me, but this is tempting:
    https://savageandsage.com/2015/04/20/whats-for-dinner-pig-skin-in-sunday-sauce-braciole-di-cotenna/

Also considering making my first batches of hot sauce on Saturday

What have you guys got? 

My wife makes this seven-layer dip that’s pretty good.

My buddy’s wife made this buffalo chicken blue cheese dip back when the Giants beat the Pats. That was the tits, but I don’t think that she was ever allowed to make it again. My buddy is really fucking stupid. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Sucker for a 7 layer dip.  Tits dip also sounds great!  (Recipes?)
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    On the menu for Sunday we've got Porchetta (bone-in) with some extra sharp provolone and accompanying Italian rolls, Turkey Chili, Pigs in a Blanket, Sausage Dip, Buffalo Chicken Dip, soft pretzel dog bones from Philly Pretzel Factory (because of course), some rag ass vegan option, and finally some Fronoli donuts and Churros for dessert. Though, really, the only dessert I would like is a Birds win.
    On the menu for Sunday we've got Porchetta (bone-in) with some extra sharp provolone and accompanying Italian rolls, Turkey Chili, Pigs in a Blanket, Sausage Dip, Buffalo Chicken Dip, soft pretzel dog bones from Philly Pretzel Factory (because of course), some rag ass vegan option, and finally some Fronoli donuts and Churros for dessert. Though, really, the only dessert I would like is a Birds win.
    And we're all invited...?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Sounds awesome.  I was at Philly Pretzel Factory hq last week and they told me they made dog bone pretzels.  Would have been better for them to have Philly v Pitt since they have lots of locations that way, but they do have one location in MA.  Funny how some local businesses boom because of silly shit like football.

Everything sounds awesome on that menu and I love beans/veg and all sorts of shit that could be the rag ass vegan option. 

Pigs in a blanket!  Have not had that is years.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    A friend of mine makes some killer bacon wrapped jalapenos w/cream cheese.  My boss' former husband (RIP) used to make wings for us at work and whatever sauce recipe he had was probably my favorite wing sauce ever.  On a few different occasions I've made cocktail meatballs, chicken fajita chili, $50 mac-n-cheese, and my olive & pepper cheese dip - all of which people rave over.

I'm pretty much happy with any type of meat and/or cheese snack, especially when both come together in dip form.
    Recipes? C'mon, man. If I knew the recipe, I'd have to make the dip. 

It would have been nice if my wife got the buffalo chicken blue cheese dip recipe from my buddy's wife. I love buffalo wings, but the dip was a cleaner way to get the flavor and prevented getting sauce all over the remote when switching over to puppy bowl.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    SUPER BOWL FOOD
    perhaps not this year but think of any year -- what are some of the best Super Bowl Foods you have made or seen?
    I recall cooking for hours last year...and the best thing actually turned out to be Chicken MarkNuggets
    (Mark Bittman wrote my bible)
    https://youtu.be/W3xPRy_XHbY

If I'm home this year, I am making them again.  But...what else?

I saved this in my favorites -- was it shared here, perhaps?  Not sure who showed it to me, but this is tempting:
    https://savageandsage.com/2015/04/20/whats-for-dinner-pig-skin-in-sunday-sauce-braciole-di-cotenna/

Also considering making my first batches of hot sauce on Saturday

What have you guys got? 

Those nuggets look tasty and easy. I think they'll take me more than 59 seconds, though. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf