Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,614
    Hahahaha.  Sorry, it was an add on.  I will refrain from using here unless it actually goes with the food.
    (Like, for instance, pickles)

Often....and now the student becomes the master!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,614
    Pre concert food.
    Raw diver scallops
    Langostine dumplings in black truffle sauce
    Short ribs 
    Splitting with bride, with many drinks on the horizon

She just looked and picked the sake she wanted
      $92
    Yeah, she's looking for another option, lol

I love raw scallops.  The Food Thread needs more raw fish fans.
  • Options
    Fuck, had to add shellfish stew and sirloin tataki.

Cliffy...Serpico on South Street.  You been here?
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    Serpico is my favorite restaurant in the city. Comfortable saying that.

Those raw diver scallops with the chive(?) sauce are one of my favorite things ever
  • Options
    Was good!
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,230
    Hard Boiled Eggs.
    A staple 'round here.

So many variations on cooking.
    How do you do 'em?

Start with eggs that have been sitting a while.
    I put a dozen eggs in a pot.
    Cover with hot water. 
    Bring to a good boil. 
    Remove from heat & cover.
    Let sit for 9 minutes.
    Put in ice bath for 1 minute.
    Put in plastic bag, in fridge.  (I dont like it when everything in my fridge smells like egg)

Enjoy with some red salt.  Eat a few every day as 'snacks' w/a handful of almonds.
    the fuck is red salt?
    Finishing salts.
    Sea salts of all types.  They taste very different from one another in many cases and it is fun to play around and see what goes well with what.
    Have a bunch of types...here is a pic of some that I googled

You kids and your fancy salts.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Hard Boiled Eggs.
    A staple 'round here.

So many variations on cooking.
    How do you do 'em?

Start with eggs that have been sitting a while.
    I put a dozen eggs in a pot.
    Cover with hot water. 
    Bring to a good boil. 
    Remove from heat & cover.
    Let sit for 9 minutes.
    Put in ice bath for 1 minute.
    Put in plastic bag, in fridge.  (I dont like it when everything in my fridge smells like egg)

Enjoy with some red salt.  Eat a few every day as 'snacks' w/a handful of almonds.
    the fuck is red salt?
    Finishing salts.
    Sea salts of all types.  They taste very different from one another in many cases and it is fun to play around and see what goes well with what.
    Have a bunch of types...here is a pic of some that I googled

You kids and your fancy salts.
    YOU’RE a fancy salt. 
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    The dips were subpar.  The food in general was all very disappointing.
    The fall festival we were going to today was way too crowded so we went to a good Mexican joint and feasted well and now we are eating raisins and pretzels out on the boat for the last time this year.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    The three year old snagged the raisins from the cabinet earlier this week and.by the time I discovered it he had eaten half of them.  
    He would love the pretzels as well.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    gambo, no more raisins and pretzels for the rest of the year?!
    ;)

I love raisins.  My mom used to pack those little boxes of Sunmaid in my lunchbox.

As for pretzels, few things beat a big warm salted one with mustard.  Mmmm!
  • Options
    Raisins are gross
  • Options
    2 pots of chili going. One with a ghost pepper and one without, though at first taste the one with is not thhhhaaaat hot. 
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    The three year old snagged the raisins from the cabinet earlier this week and.by the time I discovered it he had eaten half of them.  
    He would love the pretzels as well.

Small child + lots of raisins = big mess coming down the pipeline
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    2 pots of chili going. One with a ghost pepper and one without, though at first taste the one with is not thhhhaaaat hot. 
    Add another!  
    On Thursday my brother is coming over and we are making Louisiana hot sauce and Hawaiian BBQ sauce, I'll post some pictures.
  • Options
    Two ghost chili?  That might also cause a mess down the pipe.
  • Options
    This is my fish taco recipe that i've added to the rotation. Made it a couple nights ago along to the 2002 Showbox show, it's a fun recipe. Lot of ingredients and not cheap but will feed the fam for two nights or so. Make it your own and experiment as always.

Coleslaw:
    1 Whole Bag
    Couple teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
    2/3 Cup of mayo
    Couple teaspoons of pickle juice
    1 Tablespoon relish
    1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
    1/2 red onion
    salt
    pepper
    1/4 lime juice
    Chipotle pepper
    Carribean Jerk
    1/2 cup yogurt/garlic dressing

Go easy on the vinegar and acid.

Chunky Guacamole:
    2/3 avocados
    1/2 cloves garlic chopped (go easy, can overpower it)
    1 tsp garlic powder
    salt 
    pepper
    2 tomatoes chopped
    .5-1 jalapeno pepper (optional, will give it a kick)
    splash of olive oil
    1 cup cilantro
    Juice half a lime

In a bowl mix:
     2 cups almond milk
    8 oz. sour cream
    Chipotle pepper
    adobo
    Paprika
    1/2 lime

Another bowl:
    Half panko
    half coconut flakes
    Chipotle
    carribean jerk
    adobo
    onion powder
    Paprika

For the fish I usually do about 1.5 lbs of cod or haddock, either works. Put the fish into the milk mixture then the panko. Really load the breadcrumb on there and into the frying pan. I use coconut oil in the pan for this dish, as it seems to be good for almost everything and compliments nicely. I guess you could bake the fish if you wanted to. Fry the fish for about 10-12 minutes on medium/medium high depending on how thick the cut is until golden brown. The coconut flakes burn easily so you have to watch it.

Cole slaw on the bottom of the tortilla, then fish, then guac, garnish with cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice and ready to serve. Enjoy!

Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    This is my fish taco recipe that i've added to the rotation. Made it a couple nights ago along to the 2002 Showbox show, it's a fun recipe. Lot of ingredients and not cheap but will feed the fam for two nights or so. Make it your own and experiment as always.

Coleslaw:
    1 Whole Bag
    Couple teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
    2/3 Cup of mayo
    Couple teaspoons of pickle juice
    1 Tablespoon relish
    1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
    1/2 red onion
    salt
    pepper
    1/4 lime juice
    Chipotle pepper
    Carribean Jerk
    1/2 cup yogurt/garlic dressing

Go easy on the vinegar and acid.

Chunky Guacamole:
    2/3 avocados
    1/2 cloves garlic chopped (go easy, can overpower it)
    1 tsp garlic powder
    salt 
    pepper
    2 tomatoes chopped
    .5-1 jalapeno pepper (optional, will give it a kick)
    splash of olive oil
    1 cup cilantro
    Juice half a lime

In a bowl mix:
     2 cups almond milk
    8 oz. sour cream
    Chipotle pepper
    adobo
    Paprika
    1/2 lime

Another bowl:
    Half panko
    half coconut flakes
    Chipotle
    carribean jerk
    adobo
    onion powder
    Paprika

For the fish I usually do about 1.5 lbs of cod or haddock, either works. Put the fish into the milk mixture then the panko. Really load the breadcrumb on there and into the frying pan. I use coconut oil in the pan for this dish, as it seems to be good for almost everything and compliments nicely. I guess you could bake the fish if you wanted to. Fry the fish for about 10-12 minutes on medium/medium high depending on how thick the cut is until golden brown. The coconut flakes burn easily so you have to watch it.

Cole slaw on the bottom of the tortilla, then fish, then guac, garnish with cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice and ready to serve. Enjoy!

We have a fish taco recipe that we do probably 3 times a month. Not as complex as that but delicious none the less and super quick and easy

Cod/halibut/tilapia quickly covered/marinated in olive oil, garlic, chili powder, cayenne, crushed red pepper, paprika and a little bit of cumin. Cooked in frying pan until it breaks apart.

A quick pico of onion, tomato, garlic and lime juice.

Shredded cabbage

pickeled jalapeños 

flour tortillas. Not a fan of the corn guys no matter how authentic they are.

• Options
    2 poached eggs, two slices of pork roll, 2 slices of rye bread and some fresh brewed iced tea. Not a shabby breakfast 
  • Options
    Both fish tacos sound banging.  
    Corn tortillas, yes!
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Both fish tacos sound banging.  
    Corn tortillas, yes!
    Wish I liked them. I want to. I just find them so boring and dry. I mean they're fine and all, but I'd just prefer flour

that said, I buy a bunch of corn tortillas from the spot in the Italian market. Cut them into 8 wedges and fry those fuckers up for fresh chips. Some good salt. It's fucking amazing 
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    Bbq sauce starting to simmer

ketchup
    soy sauce
    Worcestershire
    apple cider vinegar
    brown sugar
    mustard seed
    fresh ginger
    garlic
    ghost pepper
    onion (sliced and grilled before combining)

Cover and Simmer all afternoon

• Options
    Looking damn good!  
    The homemade tortilla chips idea has blown my mind, why did I never think of that??
    How do you fry them, pan or deep fry?  What kind of oil?  I usually have peanut oil in my fryer.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Looking damn good!  
    The homemade tortilla chips idea has blown my mind, why did I never think of that??
    How do you fry them, pan or deep fry?  What kind of oil?  I usually have peanut oil in my fryer.
    Actually realized I had some left over corn tortillas from the other night and did a batch up to go with chili. I did pan fry with canola. Peanut works too.

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    rgambs said:
    Also, for those who like to cook delicious food but don't garden like a maniac, many stores carry butternut squash all year, and sugar/pie pumpkins are only around this time of year.

When I was a kid, my grandma would make garden-grown butternut squash pies. I still remember the first time she tricked me into eating a slice, simply saying “it’s not pumpkin but it’s a lot like a pumpkin.”  I gave it a shot because it did look exactly like a pumpkin pie, and I continuously begged her to make them from there on!
  • Options
    I found a wild pear tree on my sister in law's property and I are a pear and it was delicious.
    I took one inside and she said "you are that? ew gross"

People are stupid about food nowadays, they think of it doesn't come from a grocery store it isn't fit to eat.

I guarantee there will be youngins out there soon who will go to someone's house and say "Ew you actually cooked food?"
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Ha.  Agree with you.  Over cooking....or cooking in general, is many times a great way to ruin a food.  I have never once made myself sick from food and I eat every clam in the bucket (even ones that don't open much) and eat em raw as well.
    Cooking pork until it is the same color all of the way through is pretty much a sin to me.
    Steak should really just be seared on the outside and warm inside.
    I have been too repeatedly that I'm "crazy for eating it that way" and I think that most people prefer flavorless shoe leather for dinner.

• Options
    Oh and chicken legs?  They are not undercooked if there is red close to the bone.  Pink doesn't mean undercooked either.
    Use a thermometer if you are concerned.  Once the temp is right you are good to enjoy.
    Never sick...not once.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Grill day

Chicken: 6 BBQ drumsticks and 1 BBQ breast (rub), 6 jerk drumsticks and 1 jerk breast (rub), 2 boneless Italian marinaded (sauce) breasts

Turkey: honey garlic (sauce) tips, burgers, dogs

Veggies: yellow squash, zucchini
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    1 bbq leg, 1 jerk leg
    Some veggies
    Any salad?  
    Few beers.
    That sounds great.

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    1 bbq leg, 1 jerk leg
    Some veggies
    Any salad?  
    Few beers.
    That sounds great.

Yes, salad. Garden salad and potato and egg salad.

Apple crisp and brownies for dessert. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM