Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Got fancy for breakfast this AM.
    2 pieces of sourdough, toasted, on a plate
    2 eggs 'sunny side up', just firmed, slid over the two piece of toast
    Texas Champagne sauce all over (not very hot but taste is awesome)
    Knife, Fork....goodness.
    Sometimes simple hits it out of the park.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    My Brussels sprouts aren't progressing beyond marble size :angry:

Terrible garden year.  

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Terrible garden year.  

Way too early isn't it?  My brussel sprouts didn't mature until October.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    rgambs said:

Terrible garden year.  

Long live my adolescent self  :giggle:
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    rgambs said:

Terrible garden year.  

Long live my adolescent self  :giggle:
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,601
    Bo motherfuckin' jangles for lunch.  Why yes, I am a fat ass when visiting my mom in the south.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Terrible garden year.  

It is early, but it's been 4 degrees cooler than usual since august 1st so Ive been expecting them to fill out and they aren't.

• Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    i_lov_it said:
    Ok coming from Australia who's up for some Vegemite Sandwiches :tongue: haha
    So.  What regional foods are loved in your area but have no desire anywhere else?

I know about vegemite in Oz.  Then there's Mauby in Barbados, a horrible drink...

Anything else?
    Nah that's about it...well you can add Cheese to the Vegemite if you want too that's good too :)
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    What is everyone s "holy trinity" of food?
    i go:
    pasta
    pizza
    burgers

i can have any of them multiple times a week.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    Bo motherfuckin' jangles for lunch.  Why yes, I am a fat ass when visiting my mom in the south.
    Mr. JoBangles is the worth every ounce on dat ass...I speak from experience!
  • Options
    ^ They were very tasty and I think the excitement of the whole "event" made it even better. Beer, darts, that washer toss game that's like cornhole, but better...
    Washers is a construction site game, lol.  That's what you'd play when waiting...
    Such a great game!! ;) ^ Looks really good, how did you cook those brussel sprouts?
    In the cast iron skillet add thinly sliced/diced garlic, 2 tbs coconut oil and couple dashes of red pepper.  

Cook on med heat and stir occasionally.  I like when they get browned more but I was in a rush...
    Yum.... The only way I've ever made brussel sprouts are halved, drizzled with olive oil and salt n peppa. Roasted in the oven. Delicious. Never thought of throwin them in the skillet w/ the coco oil. Definitely gonna give it a shot.
  • Options
    I tried poaching some eggs this morning...

they arent ooached. They're cooked, just not poached. 

First time...
  • Options
    I have gotten okay at poaching eggs. I use a sauce pan so the eggs are fully submerged. I bring the water with a teaspoon of white vinegar to just starting to boil, turn it down, get the water spinning and slide the egg in. It is fairly reliable.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    edited September 2017
    Ridiculous dinner last night at Husk in Charleston, SC.
    Pork skins
    Pork ribs
    Oysters
    Oxtail Johnny cake
    Duck leg confit
    pork wrapped in pork belly
    Multiple martinis

Holy trinity:
    Pizza
    Sushi
    Sandwiches

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
  • Options
    I've never had a poached egg, it doesn't sound that good but I'd be willing to try.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,279
    I enjoy a poached egg but I don't like it runny
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    YOU'RE runny!

When we were kids and I was sick or nauseous or whatever, my sister took great pleasure in describing the nastiness of runny eggs.  As an adult, I refuse to go near jiggly whites.

F Me, holy mother of food, that meal sounds amazing.  Pork wrapped IN pork?  C'mon now.

Doing old school Carney's burgers later.  Mmmm!

Gotta think on my holy trinity.  It'd be more about meals than individual foods.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    hedonist said:
    YOU'RE runny!

When we were kids and I was sick or nauseous or whatever, my sister took great pleasure in describing the nastiness of runny eggs.  As an adult, I refuse to go near jiggly whites.

F Me, holy mother of food, that meal sounds amazing.  Pork wrapped IN pork?  C'mon now.

Gotta think on my holy trinity.  It'd be more about meals than individual foods.
    That's so racist and fatist, man. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    YOU'RE runny!

That's so racist and fatist, man. 
    I know. It be what it be =)
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Thai for lunch and eastern NC BBQ for dinner. Was so surprised at this BBQ when my folks moved down here but really like it now 
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    i_lov_it said:
    Ms. Haiku said:
    i_lov_it said:
    Ms. Haiku said:
    I baked brownies based on a recipe from "Vegan Cookies Invade your Cookie Jar." I'm very happy with the results. I'm going to try the recipe again but switch out chocolate chips and add white chocolate chips, and switch out canola oil and add apple sauce with a reduction in sugar. Also, I will add 1/8 tsp ground ginger to brighten the chocolate. Should be good!

Wait a minute!...you used a Vegan recipe that used Chocolate Chips?
    You bring up a good point. Some chocolate chips are vegan. I am not vegan so I didn't use that as a criteria, I just used a brand that I was familiar with. I'm looking at the ingredient list on the bag, and it looks like they are vegan, no whey and no casein. I don't see any milk powder as they are semi-sweet.

Ok great so Vegan Chocolate Chips then?...hey as long as the Biscuits taste good that's the main thing right :tongue:

Just starting reading this thread and perhaps this has already been covered but..... cacao is vegan. It's a plant product. If you add any dairy product you're just ruining it. Dark chocolate is the only real chocolate. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Thai for lunch and eastern NC BBQ for dinner. Was so surprised at this BBQ when my folks moved down here but really like it now 
    I grew up with western NC, but have lived on the east coast for many years. I combine the two now and it is truly the best of both worlds.  Yet always with coleslaw!!!
  • Options
    Had a TOP 5 dinner last night with my bride in Charleston.  (Top 5 non-sushi)
    Gnocchi with ricotta filling
    Poached shrimp salad
    Suckling pig
    Wreckfish
    Beans & peas

This fucking city is a food mecca

Bravo FIG, bravo Charleston.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Chicken Legs/Drums tonight.  Seems with Breasts and Thighs there are 75 ways to cook that I enjoy.

For Drums?  If cooking indoors & avoiding frying, I bake mine & nail the fuck out of them 9/10 times using this simple method. 

Must be sure to pat dry after rinsing -- this is key.
    Season to taste (the skin is the best part and you control how it tastes)
    Get them on racks and not directly on the hotel pan/sheet pan.
    Fat parts pointed out.
    425 until they are 185.  (I know temps are usually lower for chicken -- for drums, 185 is my goal, makes sure everything is just right.)
    'Bout 35-40 mins in my oven.

How do you cook Chicken Legs?

• Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    Got fancy for breakfast this AM.
    2 pieces of sourdough, toasted, on a plate
    2 eggs 'sunny side up', just firmed, slid over the two piece of toast
    Texas Champagne sauce all over (not very hot but taste is awesome)
    Knife, Fork....goodness.
    Sometimes simple hits it out of the park.

Sounds awesome!
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Ridiculous dinner last night at Husk in Charleston, SC.
    Pork skins
    Pork ribs
    Oysters
    Oxtail Johnny cake
    Duck leg confit
    pork wrapped in pork belly
    Multiple martinis

Holy trinity:
    Pizza
    Sushi

Sounds yummy.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    What is everyone s "holy trinity" of food?
    i go:
    pasta
    pizza
    burgers

i can have any of them multiple times a week.
    Pasta
    Pizza 
    Coffee
  • Options
    I made some AWESOME Brussels sprouts with dinner yesterday @elwayvedder, I'm making them again tonight and I'll post some pics.  It's the best way I've made them so far!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    Chicken Legs/Drums tonight.  Seems with Breasts and Thighs there are 75 ways to cook that I enjoy.

For Drums?  If cooking indoors & avoiding frying, I bake mine & nail the fuck out of them 9/10 times using this simple method. 

Must be sure to pat dry after rinsing -- this is key.
    Season to taste (the skin is the best part and you control how it tastes)
    Get them on racks and not directly on the hotel pan/sheet pan.
    Fat parts pointed out.
    425 until they are 185.  (I know temps are usually lower for chicken -- for drums, 185 is my goal, makes sure everything is just right.)
    'Bout 35-40 mins in my oven.

How do you cook Chicken Legs?

It ain't fancy, but I like extra crispy Shake n' Bake the most if cooking them in the oven. It was a fave as a kid and I see no reason not to like it now, lol. I add a fair bit of pepper and some other spices to the mix, but really, the Shake n' bake is perfectly good as it is. I think it works better than anything else to keep the chicken juicy, and I like the crispy coated skin.
    If I'm doing chicken legs on the grill I will usually just brush them with oil, skin on, and add Montreal spice or something, pepper, and then indirectly grill them on low-med for about 40 min, turning once, and 5 min at the end over high flame.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata