The Food Thread

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Late night snack was 3 large glasses of Ketel One, consumed during the 2nd half of the football game.  (Add ice and swirl...mmm, mmm, good.)
    I did take a few slices of organic roast turkey breast and roll them around some Seriously Sharp Cabot Cheddar.  Sprinkled with Hawaiian red sea salt.  Delicious.
    You can tell I was in gourmet mode.

As great as sushi and pizza is....sometimes a large amount of vodka, some meat, and some cheese hits the spot!

So slightly different meat and cheese route, but the wife and I go to DiBrunos about once a month, get a few cheeses, a few meats (duck prosciutto, yuuum), some olives and a nice fresh baguette.  A nice bottle of red, perhaps a cab, sangiovese or nebbiolo and sit on our porch with some music and deliciousness.  Cannot. F'ing. Beat it
    That sounds really good. 
    Never had duck prosciutto.  Now I feel like I am missing out!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Late night snack was 3 large glasses of Ketel One, consumed during the 2nd half of the football game.  (Add ice and swirl...mmm, mmm, good.)
    I did take a few slices of organic roast turkey breast and roll them around some Seriously Sharp Cabot Cheddar.  Sprinkled with Hawaiian red sea salt.  Delicious.

As great as sushi and pizza is....sometimes a large amount of vodka, some meat, and some cheese hits the spot!

So slightly different meat and cheese route, but the wife and I go to DiBrunos about once a month, get a few cheeses, a few meats (duck prosciutto, yuuum), some olives and a nice fresh baguette.  A nice bottle of red, perhaps a cab, sangiovese or nebbiolo and sit on our porch with some music and deliciousness.  Cannot. F'ing. Beat it
    That sounds really good. 
    Never had duck prosciutto.  Now I feel like I am missing out!
    So good.  Highly highly recommended. 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473

That's classic no-carb diet snack. Are you doing the keto diet? Or just had a craving for cheese wrapped in deli meat?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Shake shack in philly has a collaboration with a local chef on the chicken sandwich and good god is it good. I need a nap 

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Is that fresh mozzarell on that?  Looks good.

PJ_Soul said:

That's classic no-carb diet snack. Are you doing the keto diet? Or just had a craving for cheese wrapped in deli meat?
    No trendy diet, just try to save carbs for when I really want them.  I know if I can avoid them in the small spots I can enjoy them in larger spots and not get fat.
    A buddy is on that keto diet and he has lost 35 pounds in less than 2 months....but he was huge.  Said the first 10-15 fell off in a week or two. 
    Tis' fresh mozzarella and basil on it.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Shake shack in philly has a collaboration with a local chef on the chicken sandwich and good god is it good. I need a nap 

That looks gooooooood!  I love Shake Shack.
    Is that fresh mozzarell on that?  Looks good.

PJ_Soul said:

No trendy diet, just try to save carbs for when I really want them.  I know if I can avoid them in the small spots I can enjoy them in larger spots and not get fat.
    A buddy is on that keto diet and he has lost 35 pounds in less than 2 months....but he was huge.  Said the first 10-15 fell off in a week or two. 
    Yes, it is a highly effective diet, and healthy IF done properly .... Once you stop, you can gain back really fast, so it should be a lifestyle rather than a diet. But yes, I'm pro-keto diet, even though I'm not on it. Maybe I would be if I had more self-discipline. I did do it for 6 months once .... but it's not easy and gets really expensive, and I got too sick of it eventually.
    I've known folks who have just cut carbs after 2pm every day, and that supposedly works okay too, just not as dramatically or quickly at keto.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Tough to avoid them but Pasta is where I cut back the most a few years back.  Used to make a great pasta dinner at least 1x a week but am probably down to 1x a month.  I love pasta, and it is what I cook the best, but I cannot have just one serving. 
    Could start The Pasta Thread and go on and on about the many different ways to make/enjoy pasta. 
    Sigh.
    Perhaps when I am older and don't give a shit about being a big 'un, I can eat pizza & pasta every other day.
    Tough to avoid them but Pasta is where I cut back the most a few years back.  Used to make a great pasta dinner at least 1x a week but am probably down to 1x a month.  I love pasta, and it is what I cook the best, but I cannot have just one serving. 
    Could start The Pasta Thread and go on and on about the many different ways to make/enjoy pasta. 
    Sigh.
    Perhaps when I am older and don't give a shit about being a big 'un, I can eat pizza & pasta every other day.
    Yes, I missed pasta too... I did find that spaghetti squash was a nice side to replace a carb side dish though. Tasty, and kinda-sorta of has the same sort of bite as pasta has if you prepare it right I guess.
    PJ_Soul said:
    Sigh.
    Yes, I missed pasta too... I did find that spaghetti squash was a nice side to replace a carb side dish though. Tasty, and kinda-sorta of has the same sort of bite as pasta has if you prepare it right I guess.

this damn website is such trash!  If you click in the box you cannot escape the box.
    Anyway.....to me, this is like drinking water and saying it is vodka. 
    Don't pee on my leg and tell me it is raining!  :lol:
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    PJ_Soul said:
    Sigh.

this damn website is such trash!  If you click in the box you cannot escape the box.

I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited September 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    Sigh.

Lol, I know, I know! It's not even close to the same. But a no-carb diet is all about finding substitutes that will prevent you from caving, so you cling to these kinds of fake comparisons. Half the battle is delusion. :lol:

• HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Sigh.

@Wobbie
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    ^ I find it's actually quite tasty if you throw the cooked spaghetti squash directly into your sauce, mix it together really well and then sprinkle with fresh parm. It soaks up all of the flavors of the sauce and mellows the sweetness aspect of the squash. I find myself craving this instead of pasta these days.  It's filling, but it doesn't give you that bloated carb feeling.
    It might be great....just not pasta.  ;)
    edited September 2017
    It might be great....just not pasta.  ;)
    Right. It is delicious whether you're doing no-carbs or not. But it really isn't like pasta... Still a good replacement though, for any side starch.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    Tis' fresh mozzarella and basil on it.
    Fries look good, yum.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    Sigh.
    Pasta rocks my world. I don't eat it as much as I did a few years back, but the world is on the right axis when I am eating pasta.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    PJ_Soul said:
    Sigh.
    Do you bake it cut in half, and then mess up the insides so they look like spaghetti? I haven't tried it, but it looked good. 
    edited September 2017
    I tried a new recipe, eggplant and red pepper soup. After I cooked the veggies and veggie stock (new recipe, too) I put the veggies in a food processor, and ended up with a light, sweet, smooth-ish soup. I'm pretty happy with it.
    Post edited by Ms. Haiku on
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    That sounds tasty, Ms. H.

Interestingly enough, I'm watching the Soup Nazi episode of Seinfeld right now.

I want some Mulligatawny, dammit.  Or a medium crab bisque.
    Ms. Haiku said:
    Sigh.
    Pasta rocks my world. I don't eat it as much as I did a few years back, but the world is on the right axis when I am eating pasta.
    So much good food to eat....but GREAT pasta?  Wow, it is pretty damn amazing.
    Love pasta.

Speaking of, a nice south Philly Italian dinner this evening. 

Haiku said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Sigh.
    Do you bake it cut in half, and then mess up the insides so they look like spaghetti? I haven't tried it, but it looked good. 
    "Mess up the insides." :lol: Yes, exactly. Baked in a glass or stoneware lasagna pan is best. Don't forget The layer of water in the pan.  The one thing you need to be careful about is doneness. I find that it has to be perfect. A little undone or a little too done, and It's not not as good, and the size of the squash impacts that. This just takes a bit of practice I guess. Luckily, it's a fairly inexpensive trial and error process.
    ^ The thing is a bitch and a half to cut when it's raw. Through several trials and painful errors, I found a way that works best for me. I stab it with a fork all over and throw it in the microwave for about 8 minutes. At that point you can cut it open with ease, then scoop out the guts, drizzle cut side with olive oil and salt n pepper. Then bake it cut side down at 425 for about a half hour. This method doesn't call for water in the pan... maybe because it steams first in the microwave? 
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007

Had some dried Goji Berries the other day...I'm really liking them...

• Fresh homemade pierogies at Warsaw last night while seeing Thee Oh Sees!
    ^ The thing is a bitch and a half to cut when it's raw. Through several trials and painful errors, I found a way that works best for me. I stab it with a fork all over and throw it in the microwave for about 8 minutes. At that point you can cut it open with ease, then scoop out the guts, drizzle cut side with olive oil and salt n pepper. Then bake it cut side down at 425 for about a half hour. This method doesn't call for water in the pan... maybe because it steams first in the microwave? 
    I never found that it was hard to cut in half myself - just used a big sharp knife. ;) As for seasoning.... that makes all the difference of course. So does using the right amount of butter. At the end of the day, I find this to be a very simple dish to make, but only after trying it a number of times to get everything right, the way I like it best.
    ^ I definitely could use a better knife and I really don't know that I've ever sharpened the thing in the last 12 or so years...  :smiley: