The Food Thread

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,215
    London Broil has been marinating for a few hours and has about 25 more hours to go.
    Need more than that. Marinating in? What you doing with it?
    Just a shit ton of Italian dressing with a bunch of garlic, onions, salt, pepper, red pepper and Italian seasoning. Going on the grill this evening
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    London Broil has been marinating for a few hours and has about 25 more hours to go.
    Need more than that. Marinating in? What you doing with it?
    Just a shit ton of Italian dressing with a bunch of garlic, onions, salt, pepper, red pepper and Italian seasoning. Going on the grill this evening
    Nice. That sounds good. Was expecting something different. With those cuts of meat, I usually go a bit Asian with soy sauce, garlic, ginger, etc.  Will have to give that a shot sometime 
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,834
    Before

Nice scoring action. You going to set the grill on low and try and slow cook it?
    eddiec said:
    Before

Nice scoring action. You going to set the grill on low and try and slow cook it?
    Went a little deep on that top one but overall yeah. Started it off at 450 to crisp it up a bit but down to between 300-325 for the rest. So not super low
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    dankind said:
    Campfire breakfast this morning. Skillet scrambled eggs, bacon, and Pirate Prentice banana pancakes. :glasses:

Time to hike the south ridge. 
    maybe sometime there should be a pj camping get together, yes/no? first off i will admit to not knowing a fuck about pirate prentice banana pancakes. but yum. did you put a thing of baked beans out over your campfire? all day long beans are warmed & ready to rock @ any time . btw, you're a fancy lill flap jack guy. which i guess is good, btw. malted pancakes are get the hell out of town good as i'd imagine your pirate prentice banana pancakes are.       
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce

yesterday we were at the g/fs aunt's 90th birthday celebration. what a nice time. anyhow, the daughter of the birthday girl had the food catered. a bit costly but so tasty. i knew if the beef brisket was good, everything would be fine. the beef brisket was perfect which is not an easy task. it was smoked, had the smoke ring happenin & was as tender as you can get. i snatched up a couple of the burnt ends & explained to the g/f about how difficult brisket is to cook properly. the coleslaw was perfect & because i am a dork-ass, i mix beans in w/ most all of the sides. potato salad needs baked beans, fact. coleslaw needs baked beans, fact. jello w/ the carrot shavings... yeah we didn't have that side       

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce

tonight or tomorrow i will be preparing that cauliflower crust pizza i been meaning to try now for well over a year. pepperoni & portabella schrooms. simple. i have a feeling this thing will rock.

have a fun & safe holiday wknd, everyone.    

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    After

• Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    I made gnocchi for the first time in 20 years. The last time I made gnocchi I broke my potato ricer. Today I used a hand smasher. 

The texture was good. I'm happy with the result, but I wasn't on the ball with the sauce. I had a sauce of sauteed scallions and thyme, and then added pureed tomatoes. It was boring. Potatoes need a tasty sauce, and I don't want a butter-spice sauce. Next time I will plan for a mushroom sauce. 
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    Ms. Haiku said:
    I made gnocchi for the first time in 20 years. The last time I made gnocchi I broke my potato ricer. Today I used a hand smasher. 

The texture was good. I'm happy with the result, but I wasn't on the ball with the sauce. I had a sauce of sauteed scallions and thyme, and then added pureed tomatoes. It was boring. Potatoes need a tasty sauce, and I don't want a butter-spice sauce. Next time I will plan for a mushroom sauce. 
    mushroom anything is good

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce

cliffy,

that is nice. you rock

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce

Wow that looks awesome. What's that pickled looking shit back there?

So 425 to crisp for a bit and then how long on 325? Indirect heat?

I could eat all of those peppers in 3 minutes flat. Good stuff Cliff
    chinese-happy.jpg

Wow that looks awesome. What's that pickled looking shit back there?

So 425 to crisp for a bit and then how long on 325? Indirect heat?

I could eat all of those peppers in 3 minutes flat. Good stuff Cliff
    Yeah, man. It was good. The red stuff is a beet potato salad. It was actually really good. Then an orzo salad the wife made. Long hot, provolone and obviously the pork.

Yeah, did it at about 425-450 for a half hour or so then got it down to around 325. This guy was 10 lbs so it took a while, especially since I had to open the grill a few times to toss some other things on. Took it off at just under 180 degrees. Total time on the grill was around 5.5 hours, I think. Yeah, indirect heat. Overnight I had rubbed garlic, olive oil, lemon zest, rosemary and sage all over it.
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    ^ Looks delicious and that beet potato salad intrigues me. I love beets... pickled, baked, steamed, thrown in a crock pot all day. 
    ^ Looks delicious and that beet potato salad intrigues me. I love beets... pickled, baked, steamed, thrown in a crock pot all day. 
    https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/12782-beet-and-potato-salad

That's the recipe I used. I really liked it. Never really did anything of the sort before
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Cliffy, I didn't even need to tilt my head to appreciate that hunk o'beauty up there.

chadwick, please report back on the pizza endeavor.
    hedonist said:
    Cliffy, I didn't even need to tilt my head to appreciate that hunk o'beauty up there.

good morning. ok so the cauliflower crust pizza was tasty. it was foldable & filling. next time i'll skip on the pepperonis & maybe just stay with mushrooms, black olives, spinach & cheese or some such shit. seems pepperonis make a bit of a greasy cauliflower crust pizza more so than if it were a flour crust. still it was quite good        

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • chadwick said:
    hedonist said:

good morning. ok so the cauliflower crust pizza was tasty. it was foldable & filling. next time i'll skip on the pepperonis & maybe just stay with mushrooms, black olives, spinach & cheese or some such shit. seems pepperonis make a bit of a greasy cauliflower crust pizza more so than if it were a flour crust. still it was quite good        

Amazing...  I have been doing cauliflower rice and gravy lately and it is pretty good.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    You know what cracks me up about online recipes?  There's always some reviewer that's like:

I'll never make this recipe again. It's awful. It was so bad my dog even walked away. I doubled the x and y, didn't use the a and b, threw in r and n instead and substituted frozen fish sticks because swordfish was too expensive and it was the worst thing I've ever tasted.

Soooooo... you didn't follow the recipe at fucking all, and you bitch about it being bad?
    chadwick said:
    hedonist said: no

What were the ingredients of the crust?
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    Ms. Haiku said:
    chadwick said:
    hedonist said: no

What were the ingredients of the crust?

just like this here 

https://youtu.be/XaCYSX5WE5M

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    chadwick said:
    hedonist said:

Amazing...  I have been doing cauliflower rice and gravy lately and it is pretty good.

My wife makes cauliflower rice all the time.

Frankly, your Juggler is getting tired of it.

chinese-happy.jpg
    "Coarsely chop" is my favorite recipe instruction.  
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,614
    Returned from a holiday weekend trek to lovely Mendocino, CA.  Had some amazing grub while there....but really do love some of the things I am seeing here!

I rarely find myself in disagreement with Viking Chadwick, but I sit on the other side of the table when it comes to two things:
    Offal
    Sushi

Chris is right,the cheek of many fish are the best parts when cooked.  (Or not)

I love many different liver types - even some of them raw.

Eyes - had some good ones.  Pig brains were decent.

Tongue and Feet are the two things I struggle with.

Hell, I enjoy Natto....and that can be some rough stuff.

Sushi is freaking amazing food - for me, it is the best of the best.  I am an admitted sushi snob, and can usually tell by sight if the fish is up to snuff.
    I usually take it in as sashimi (despite rice craft being a very serious thing to true sushi chefs) and any chef worth their salt will dress up much of the fish.  Some, true, are best served sliced up solo.
    The price for an array of excellent fishes served up by a master can be ten-fold (per person) what was referenced here.

Have had the privilege to enjoy sushi with a number of ten club members.  Everyone has been a trooper and been down with eating the likes of monk fish liver, sea urchin gonads, and the fattiest pieces of tuna.

It isn't for every day (or I would be broke) but I will eat it any chance I get.
    Welcome anyone in the Philly area to hit me up and I can share an amazing meal consisting mostly of raw fish.
    And sake.  Oh yes!

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Ms. Haiku said:
    why?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Ms. Haiku said:
    why?
    Probably for a different reason than Ms Haiku, but for me it's like the recipe is telling me "you can relax, you don't need knife skills."
    Ms. Haiku said:
    why?
    Probably for a different reason than Ms Haiku, but for me it's like the recipe is telling me "you can relax, you don't need knife skills."
    Thanks.

Ms. Haiku?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Returned from a holiday weekend trek to lovely Mendocino, CA.  Had some amazing grub while there....but really do love some of the things I am seeing here!

I rarely find myself in disagreement with Viking Chadwick, but I sit on the other side of the table when it comes to two things:
    Offal
    Sushi

Chris is right,the cheek of many fish are the best parts when cooked.  (Or not)

I love many different liver types - even some of them raw.

Eyes - had some good ones.  Pig brains were decent.

Tongue and Feet are the two things I struggle with.

Hell, I enjoy Natto....and that can be some rough stuff.

Sushi is freaking amazing food - for me, it is the best of the best.  I am an admitted sushi snob, and can usually tell by sight if the fish is up to snuff.
    I usually take it in as sashimi (despite rice craft being a very serious thing to true sushi chefs) and any chef worth their salt will dress up much of the fish.  Some, true, are best served sliced up solo.
    The price for an array of excellent fishes served up by a master can be ten-fold (per person) what was referenced here.

Have had the privilege to enjoy sushi with a number of ten club members.  Everyone has been a trooper and been down with eating the likes of monk fish liver, sea urchin gonads, and the fattiest pieces of tuna.

It isn't for every day (or I would be broke) but I will eat it any chance I get.
    Welcome anyone in the Philly area to hit me up and I can share an amazing meal consisting mostly of raw fish.
    And sake.  Oh yes!

I'm down. And your favorite spot is around the corner from my work.

No fucking lady martinis though 
    Ms. Haiku said:
    why?
    Thanks.

Ms. Haiku?
    I agree with HesCalledDyer.