Options

Tragedy at Ohio State Fair

KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
http://www.10tv.com/article/1-dead-7-injured-after-ride-malfunctions-ohio-state-fair

18yo died and 7 others injured.  This was the first day of the fair.  Very sad!
Columbus-2000
Columbus-2003
Cincinnati-2006
Columbus-2010
Wrigley-2013
Cincinnati-2014
Lexington-2016
Wrigley 1 & 2-2018

Comments

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    I saw that on the news last night. Very sad. They said several other people were in critical condition.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Oh wow.

I saw the clip and that was horrible.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,711
    Terrible.  :frowning:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    http://www.10tv.com/article/victims-ohio-state-fair-ride-malfunction-identified
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4736496/Marine-Tyler-Jarrell-killed-Ohio-State-Fair-Fireball.html

Victim identified.  He just graduated high school back in June and joined the Marines just 5 days ago.  His girlfriend was one of the injured and only learned of his death after she got out of surgery and was asking for him.

Similar rides have been shut down across the nation.  The fair was open today but all rides remain closed.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Terribly sad 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    Horrible. That poor girlfriend. And it looks like the other one who went flying was a kid. What a traumatic tragedy. As someone who enjoys rides, this kind of thing is one of my worst nightmares.... I've become more and more scared of these kinds of incidents over the years, as I more and more know it most certainly could happen to me (obviously something we don't know when we're younger!). At this point I feel really nervous when I get on any ride, for fear that it will break like this! I know the chances are slim, but still...  I wish I'd never seen the video clip of it happening. :frowning:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I recently learned the average deaths per year by amusement park rides is 4.5   I'm actually surprised it isn't higher.  Those fair rides frequently get taken apart, loaded onto trucks, moved around on highways, and are subject to incredible amounts of stress and vibration.  Just looking at them wiz and bang around hour after hours leaves me wary.   (Of course the same thing is true of airplanes... but I don't go on them either!)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    brianlux said:
    I recently learned the average deaths per year by amusement park rides is 4.5   I'm actually surprised it isn't higher.  Those fair rides frequently get taken apart, loaded onto trucks, moved around on highways, and are subject to incredible amounts of stress and vibration.  Just looking at them wiz and bang around hour after hours leaves me wary.   (Of course the same thing is true of airplanes... but I don't go on them either!)
    Yeah, I'll ride the rides at established, permanent amusement parks (the Disney or Six Flags type parks), but you won't catch me on a ride at a state fair or travelling carnival. Most of the guys who assemble and operate those rides are tweakers. I wouldn't trust them with my well being.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,960
    Horrible.  I rode something like that at the Indiana state fair a few years ago.  It seemed to be operating much faster than it would at a Kings Island type park.  

I always tell my kids to stay off of that type of ride at fairs.  Just too fucking dangerous....even though the accident rate is pretty low.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    jeffbr said:
    brianlux said:
    Yeah, I'll ride the rides at established, permanent amusement parks (the Disney or Six Flags type parks), but you won't catch me on a ride at a state fair or travelling carnival. Most of the guys who assemble and operate those rides are tweakers. I wouldn't trust them with my well being.
    That too!

• Options
    Well, let's keep in mind that riding in a car and even just crossing the street is many, many times more dangerous than going on a carnival ride.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    PJ_Soul said:
    Well, let's keep in mind that riding in a car and even just crossing the street is many, many times more dangerous than going on a carnival ride.
    Absolutely. Everything is a calculated risk. I have to drive to get to work, go shopping, etc... I don't have to jump on a tweaker ride, though, so while it may be statistically safer than driving, it is simply a risk I don't care to take. 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    jeffbr said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Absolutely. Everything is a calculated risk. I have to drive to get to work, go shopping, etc... I don't have to jump on a tweaker ride, though, so while it may be statistically safer than driving, it is simply a risk I don't care to take. 
    Exactly.  I trust my own driving or riding with people I trust more than a tweaker's ride. Same with public transit.  Those drivers are much less likely to be stoned out on the job.

• Options
    jeffbr said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    How about swimming? That's way more dangerous too. ;) Hey, I'm not suggesting that people should go rides if they are scared of them. There are rides I won't go on anymore because I feel like they aren't built securely enough (the giant yo-yo swing is one of them - did you know those chairs are just hanging on an open HOOK?!? I didn't realize that until I was in my 30s and finally thought to look up, haha!). Also, I have actually had a couple of close calls on big rides. The first was on Space Mountain at Disney World when I was about 9 or so. They didn't secure me properly and I almost went flying out of it, and also almost strangled to death when the belt got around my neck. The only reason I didn't die was because my mom was in the car with me and she clung to me for dear life. The other time was when I was a teenager and the operators failed to close/lock the car I was in. The ride spun and went upside down, and there are absolutely no strapped or bars or anything. Inertia alone kept you in your seat inside a supposedly locked cage. Anyway, the door wasn't locked and it slide wide open during the ride, and i had to just cling to the side of the cage, screaming, until the ride stopped. So yeah, these operators can be real idiots and they do screw up. That said, I'm still aware that I'm way more likely to die while on a hike in the woods or in the crosswalk than I am on a carnival ride. That's why I still go on many of them. I do admit that that older I get the more scared I am when I go on them.
  • Options
    Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited July 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yes, but Soul... billions of people are crossing the street numerous times daily. This is kind of the pro gun argument.

There would be no way of doing it, but if we compared 'thrill ride trials' to 'crossing the street trials' and looked at accident rates per trial effort... I think the results might surprise us one way or another.

I agree with jeffbr regarding the carnies. I was on a ride with my friends as a kid. The door latch was not functioning and it kept popping open at bad times- taking the lap bar with it and leaving us clinging to the back of the seat we were in. We were yelling at the dipshit operating the ride, but he did nothing. Come to think of it... it was terrifying.

I like Disneyland. I crap my pants a little, but I talk my way through each ride. Amusement parks are generally very safe.

Vegas has some good rides- I love the NY roller coaster. But I will not go anywhere near the Stratosphere.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yes, but Soul... billions of people are crossing the street numerous times daily. This is kind of the pro gun argument.

There would be no way of doing it, but if we compared 'thrill ride trials' to 'crossing the street trials' and looked at accident rates per trial effort... I think the results might surprise us one way or another.

I agree with jeffbr regarding the carnies. I was on a ride with my friends as a kid. The door latch was not functioning and it kept popping open at bad times- taking the lap bar with it and leaving us clinging to the back of the seat we were in. We were yelling at the dipshit operating the ride, but he did nothing. Come to think of it... it was terrifying.

I like Disneyland. I crap my pants a little, but I talk my way through each ride. Amusement parks are generally very safe.

Vegas has some good rides- I love the NY roller coaster. But I will not go anywhere near the Stratosphere.
    Yeah, as I said, shit happens, and it has happened to me! .... Somehow, those close calls didn't dissuade me though. I really like rides, and I'm not about to let a couple of bad experiences rob me of that fun. ;) Same with flying in planes. I had an VERY scary experience on a plane once, and while I have been a lot more nervous on planes since then, I'll still go on them. I should mention, though, that I don't go to shitty local carnivals, like those dumb little parking lot setups that travel around and country fairs. They are lame IMO, not fun, pretty much all the same, and I don't attend them. You're right, I wouldn't trust the yahoos who work for such operations.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    How about swimming? That's way more dangerous too. ;) Hey, I'm not suggesting that people should go rides if they are scared of them. There are rides I won't go on anymore because I feel like they aren't built securely enough (the giant yo-yo swing is one of them - did you know those chairs are just hanging on an open HOOK?!? I didn't realize that until I was in my 30s and finally thought to look up, haha!). Also, I have actually had a couple of close calls on big rides. The first was on Space Mountain at Disney World when I was about 9 or so. They didn't secure me properly and I almost went flying out of it, and also almost strangled to death when the belt got around my neck. The only reason I didn't die was because my mom was in the car with me and she clung to me for dear life. The other time was when I was a teenager and the operators failed to close/lock the car I was in. The ride spun and went upside down, and there are absolutely no strapped or bars or anything. Inertia alone kept you in your seat inside a supposedly locked cage. Anyway, the door wasn't locked and it slide wide open during the ride, and i had to just cling to the side of the cage, screaming, until the ride stopped. So yeah, these operators can be real idiots and they do screw up. That said, I'm still aware that I'm way more likely to die while on a hike in the woods or in the crosswalk than I am on a carnival ride. That's why I still go on many of them. I do admit that that older I get the more scared I am when I go on them.
    People who get in the water are brave souls.  I've had a leg paralyzed for a few hours after hitting a nerve on a rock while inner-tubing, got caught in a sieve and nearly drowned while canoeing, had my head held under water but a bully while swimming, and once while swimming in the ocean had a leg cramp so badly I had to be rescued. 

Excuse me for putting it so bluntly but, fuck the water!  I'm staying on dry land!

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    People who get in the water are brave souls.  I've had a leg paralyzed for a few hours after hitting a nerve on a rock while inner-tubing, got caught in a sieve and nearly drowned while canoeing, had my head held under water but a bully while swimming, and once while swimming in the ocean had a leg cramp so badly I had to be rescued. 

Excuse me for putting it so bluntly but, fuck the water!  I'm staying on dry land!
    Okay, Brian, you've convinced me. You are unlucky. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Okay, Brian, you've convinced me. You are unlucky. 

Au contraire!  As the song goes, I'm still alive! (How lucky that makes everyone else is up to debate.  :lol:  )