Options

RIP Chester Bennington

13»

Comments

• Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271
    edited July 2017
    Six kids.  Honestly my reaction to this is pissed off.  This was obviously thought out and planned ahead of time based on coordinating with Cornell's birthday.  Ask for help!  You have six kids. 

I am just giving my honest response here. I understand the power of depression and despair and perhaps he was on drugs.  But you have six kids, time and money.   

Just another example than fame fame and money isn't everything.
    When I was younger my girlfriend's father took his own life. His depression had got to the point that he'd convinced himself that the family would be better off without him. He even had a brief affair, with the intention of forcing his wife to hate him, making it easier to leave. He overdosed in his car at the side of a road that I used to drive home every day. He did it on my day off work, knowing I wouldn't drive past and see him. All planned out ahead of time.

I'm not trying to speculate anything about Chester's death but you can see how, once someone has passed their point of no return, they can rationalise what they are about to do and plan it all out. Regardless of who and what is left behind, and how many people will feel the loss, it can be justified and normalised in their mind.

Sorry for unloading, I haven't spoken about this in a long time. I managed to keep it in when Chris died but Chester going so soon after just brought it back. I wasn't much of an LP fan but they had some great early singles that are still a bit of a guilty pleasure for me.

https://youtu.be/4qlCC1GOwFw

RIP Chester, I hope you're at peace now.
    Post edited by goldrush on
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    pljampljam Posts: 387
    So sad
    Reach out to someone if you know they are struggling
    After all we are all we have.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,715
    I cannot believe this again. Too much this year.
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    so sad
    danny d
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited July 2017
    This one is getting to me.  A little more haunting now for sure. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGuNOcmHj54
    When my time comes
    Forget the wrong that I've done
    Help me leave behind some reasons to be missed 
    And don't resent me
    And when you're feeling empty
    Keep me in your memory
    Leave out all the rest

Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532
    goldrush said:
    Six kids.  Honestly my reaction to this is pissed off.  This was obviously thought out and planned ahead of time based on coordinating with Cornell's birthday.  Ask for help!  You have six kids. 

I am just giving my honest response here. I understand the power of depression and despair and perhaps he was on drugs.  But you have six kids, time and money.   

When I was younger my girlfriend's father took his own life. His depression had got to the point that he'd convinced himself that the family would be better off without him. He even had a brief affair, with the intention of forcing his wife to hate him, making it easier to leave. He overdosed in his car at the side of a road that I used to drive home every day. He did it on my day off work, knowing I wouldn't drive past and see him. All planned out ahead of time.

I'm not trying to speculate anything about Chester's death but you can see how, once someone has passed their point of no return, they can rationalise what they are about to do and plan it all out. Regardless of who and what is left behind, and how many people will feel the loss, it can be justified and normalised in their mind.

Sorry for unloading, I haven't spoken about this in a long time. I managed to keep it in when Chris died but Chester going so soon after just brought it back. I wasn't much of an LP fan but they had some great early singles that are still a bit of a guilty pleasure for me.

https://youtu.be/4qlCC1GOwFw

RIP Chester, I hope you're at peace now.
    It just overall sucks and is sad that people are out there feeling this hopeless.

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,745

Not saying you are wrong but maybe the memory of Chris on his birthday put him over the edge and it wasn't exactly planned. Mix that with drugs/alcohol (assuming) and you can have a recipe for disaster. My father is recovering alcoholic and his father(my grandfather) passed away on his birthday. Every birthday for years after his passing were the roughest time for my Dad. He was suicidal and I always worried the most during his birthday. 
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,123
    RIP

Very strange to say the least. I hope his Kids can go on and not be too damaged from this

Lotta Kids
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,774
    We should all be thankful our minds have not drawn us to what must be utter despair.  That being said, this is so sad.  I loved his voice, was attracted by the heart pounding rhythm of LPs music. Another WTF news piece that never gets easier. RIP Chester. 
  • Options
    EB218946EB218946 Posts: 3,826
    This one is getting to me.  A little more haunting now for sure. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGuNOcmHj54
    When my time comes
    Forget the wrong that I've done
    Help me leave behind some reasons to be missed 
    And don't resent me
    And when you're feeling empty
    Keep me in your memory
    Leave out all the rest

Wow me too.  Very powerful.  So sad.  RIP
  • Options
    FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    edited July 2017

i wish depressed people and suicidal folks could get the help they need. All of them. Its not embarassing its a disease. Family members who shame depression are ridiculous. 
    The problem with treatment is it's just guessing.  If I treat someone's blood pressure I have objective data to say more medicine or less and I can get immediate results.  Antidepressants can take weeks or months to work and the follow up is all subjective with the comment "are their more good days then bad days" usually considered a victory when we've learned it takes a lousy moment to have irreversible consequences.  Also it's not just medications that treat depression but also things like behavioral therapy which alot of times isn't even covered by most insurers.  Add this all to the fact that their aren't even enough healthcare providers to treat this disease you can see how discouraging it can be for a patient to get the help they need.
    Post edited by FrankY59 on
  • Options
    One of the greatest screams in rock history. I will always admire that guy for transcending his initial image of a nu-metal rock-rap guy.  He ended up blending whatever the hell he wanted.  Talent always shines through.  

Im bummed because a lot of people with issues connected to his lyrics.  I hope nobody feels hopeless because of his suicide
  • Options
    CaseylouCaseylou Posts: 1
    Cannot believe it. Was supposed to see them in a month. I'm crushed. Feel so bad for his family/
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,741
    One of the greatest screams in rock history. I will always admire that guy for transcending his initial image of a nu-metal rock-rap guy.  He ended up blending whatever the hell he wanted.  Talent always shines through.  

Im bummed because a lot of people with issues connected to his lyrics.  I hope nobody feels hopeless because of his suicide
    It's tough. I enjoyed Linkin Park ALOT! Their music helped me many years back.
    With all the money, fame & glory .. with all the family & friends he had that loved him so.
    It's sad it had to end like this. Depression sucks!!! I've known many that got the help, that tried their best, but couldn't pull through.
    It's scary stuff. RIP Chester.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2H4l9RpkwM

• Options
    Great tune and great lyrics. ^^^
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,358

On Monday morning, Linkin Park issued a heartfelt tribute to their singer Chester Bennington, who committed suicide on Thursday. The statement follows in full:

Dear Chester,

Our hearts are broken.   The shockwaves of grief and denial are still sweeping through our family as we come to grips with what has happened.  

You touched so many lives, maybe even more than you realized.  In the past few days, we’ve seen an outpouring of love and support, both public and private, from around the world.  Talinda and the family appreciate it, and want the world to know that you were the best husband, son, and father; the family will never be whole without you.

Talking with you about the years ahead together, your excitement was infectious.  Your absence leaves a void that can never be filled—a boisterous, funny, ambitious, creative, kind, generous voice in the room is missing.  We’re trying to remind ourselves that the demons who took you away from us were always part of the deal.  After all, it was the way you sang about those demons that made everyone fall in love with you in the first place.  You fearlessly put them on display, and in doing so, brought us together and taught us to be more human.  You had the biggest heart, and managed to wear it on your sleeve.  

Our love for making and performing music is inextinguishable.  While we don’t know what path our future may take, we know that each of our lives was made better by you.  Thank you for that gift.  We love you, and miss you so much.

Until we see you again,

LP

• Options
    kaseylilykaseylily Michigan, USA Posts: 259

On Monday morning, Linkin Park issued a heartfelt tribute to their singer Chester Bennington, who committed suicide on Thursday. The statement follows in full:

Dear Chester,

Our hearts are broken.   The shockwaves of grief and denial are still sweeping through our family as we come to grips with what has happened.  

You touched so many lives, maybe even more than you realized.  In the past few days, we’ve seen an outpouring of love and support, both public and private, from around the world.  Talinda and the family appreciate it, and want the world to know that you were the best husband, son, and father; the family will never be whole without you.

Talking with you about the years ahead together, your excitement was infectious.  Your absence leaves a void that can never be filled—a boisterous, funny, ambitious, creative, kind, generous voice in the room is missing.  We’re trying to remind ourselves that the demons who took you away from us were always part of the deal.  After all, it was the way you sang about those demons that made everyone fall in love with you in the first place.  You fearlessly put them on display, and in doing so, brought us together and taught us to be more human.  You had the biggest heart, and managed to wear it on your sleeve.  

Our love for making and performing music is inextinguishable.  While we don’t know what path our future may take, we know that each of our lives was made better by you.  Thank you for that gift.  We love you, and miss you so much.

Until we see you again,

LP

thank you for sharing this. Very sad.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,849
    Linkin Park was suppose to play in Camden, NJ last night.  Fans still gathered outside BB&T Pavillion to remember Chester. 
    http://6abc.com/entertainment/fans-remember-linkin-parks-bennington-at-camden-waterfront/2267768/

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    and Coldplay's Chris Martin covering "Crawling"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFj2jKnFM0g

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515

Once you're at that point, the six kids, time, and money are totally irrelevant - suicidal people can be way too far gone into that hole to be capable of considering such things rationally. And in some cases, they truly believe that the kids will be better off without you.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Being angry is part of processing it. A colleague of mine hung himself at home in his backyard - kids, wife, amazing therapist & kindest person. Nobody saw it coming. Left a voicemail on another colleague's work phone that evening before carrying it out. Even 10 yrs later I can't say out loud what he said in that voicemail but @PJ_Soul makes some valid points. Its the deepest levels of despair. The darkest of thoughts & so much relief when the decision is made to die. Like one finally feels that ellusive sense of control. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Heard they were gonna stream the benefit concert on their youtube channel
    https://www.altpress.com/news/entry/linkin_park_chester_bennington_tribute_show_livestream

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD