On John McCain

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
edited July 2017 in A Moving Train
Just saw this note from Sanders on FB and though it was cool:

"John McCain is an American hero, one of the most respected members of the U.S. Senate and a friend. At this difficult moment, the hopes and prayers of the nation are with him and his family."

McCain never has been a favorite of mine but when he did an interview with Bill McKibben (who is largely responsible for starting up 350.org, an organization dedicated to slowing global warming) I read some things about McCain that I thought were right on.  Not the greatest politician ever but a damn sight better than many,

No need for hate here, just good thoughts for Mr. McCain.
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Post edited by brianlux on

Comments

• RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    edited July 2017
    Meanwhile our current president mocked his military service. You clearly made the right choice America, bravo!

Best wishes to Mr. McCain, fight that shit hard.
    Post edited by RiotZact on
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    i came back specifically to post about mccain. i saw the other locked thread and was mortified. glad it was locked.

for years i have been very, very critical of mccain. i post about him with a cynicism that is difficult to match. i admired him leading up to the 2000 campaign, when he was the maverick. i hated what the bush campaign did to him. 

then, in 2008, he brought us sarah palin. i was never able to trust him again after that. i lost a lot of respect for him at that time. he redeemed himself in my eyes when at that campaign event he shut that woman down who called obama a muslim. he called obama a decent man, that he just had disagreements with. to me, that was one of the brightest moments in our political discourse of the last 20 years. he did not have to defend obama in that moment, but he did. he could have pulled a trump and encouraged that woman to call obama a muslim and communist, but he respectfully took the microphone away from her and shut her down. i admire him for that.

since then, he has become very predictable. he would publicly go against the republican grain and then quietly vote the party line. almost every singe time. he called that protester a low life scum. i thought that was beneath his dignity as a senator. he holds a public office, and should be subject to what his constituents's criticism.

then trump attacked him for being captured. and mccain did nothing about it. he supported trump in the end, and unfortunately that is going to be his legacy. he helped bring forth this stench on our country, and that will never, ever fade. 

i admire mccain for his service and his courage as a vet. i question his voting record on many issues. but i respect him for standing up at times when it did matter. 

no matter what i think of him or his voting record, he will always be remembered as an american hero.

at this moment i can't help but think of the irony that two lions of the senate, kennedy, and mccain, both battled brain cancer at a time when the health care debate is raging in dc.

i suppose, as i look over his career, he is a decent man. there have been far worse in the senate. and there is one a million times worse in the white house. i have come to realize that mccain is a decent man that i happen to disagree with. my thoughts are with him and his family and i am hoping that he is able to beat this. 
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    I was saddened to read this and wish Sen. McCain the best in beating this.
    Fuck Cancer.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    i came back specifically to post about mccain. i saw the other locked thread and was mortified. glad it was locked.

for years i have been very, very critical of mccain. i post about him with a cynicism that is difficult to match. i admired him leading up to the 2000 campaign, when he was the maverick. i hated what the bush campaign did to him. 

then, in 2008, he brought us sarah palin. i was never able to trust him again after that. i lost a lot of respect for him at that time. he redeemed himself in my eyes when at that campaign event he shut that woman down who called obama a muslim. he called obama a decent man, that he just had disagreements with. to me, that was one of the brightest moments in our political discourse of the last 20 years. he did not have to defend obama in that moment, but he did. he could have pulled a trump and encouraged that woman to call obama a muslim and communist, but he respectfully took the microphone away from her and shut her down. i admire him for that.

since then, he has become very predictable. he would publicly go against the republican grain and then quietly vote the party line. almost every singe time. he called that protester a low life scum. i thought that was beneath his dignity as a senator. he holds a public office, and should be subject to what his constituents's criticism.

then trump attacked him for being captured. and mccain did nothing about it. he supported trump in the end, and unfortunately that is going to be his legacy. he helped bring forth this stench on our country, and that will never, ever fade. 

i admire mccain for his service and his courage as a vet. i question his voting record on many issues. but i respect him for standing up at times when it did matter. 

no matter what i think of him or his voting record, he will always be remembered as an american hero.

at this moment i can't help but think of the irony that two lions of the senate, kennedy, and mccain, both battled brain cancer at a time when the health care debate is raging in dc.

i suppose, as i look over his career, he is a decent man. there have been far worse in the senate. and there is one a million times worse in the white house. i have come to realize that mccain is a decent man that i happen to disagree with. my thoughts are with him and his family and i am hoping that he is able to beat this. 
    I feel the same way, gimme.  Basically a good man with what I see as an oft flawed political career.  His choice of Palin as VP candidate was an all-time baffler and a huge career misstep.  He must know that.  So yeah, flawed for sure, but not totally f'd up like... you know.  And definitely not worthy of the trashing that other thread started out as.  That raised my eyebrows quite a bit. 

But in any case, here we move on an hopefully wish the man well and thank him for the braver, brighter side of his efforts.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

And more appropriate to the subject, I did change this thread title.

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Couldn't have said it any better than Brian and Gimme already have.  Whether I've agreed with his politics or not, I've always had a great respect for John McCain as a person.

Best wishes to Mr. McCain and winning the fight against cancer!
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    Best wishes to him.  I wonder if this has anything to do with his kind of rambling questioning of Comey.  He really seemed out of sorts then.

Back in 2000 I would have voted for McCain if he would have picked a decent VP.  
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    edited July 2017
    RiotZact said:
    Meanwhile our current president mocked his military service. You clearly made the right choice America, bravo!

Best wishes to Mr. McCain, fight that shit hard.
    And I bet he doesn't regret saying it if asked again.  I thought that statement about McCain would sink tRump.  Unreal.

Edit: When you put tRump's comment in the context of how both men were serving the nation at the time it's even more unreal.  McCain was being tortured and tRump was paying doctors to give him medical excuses for avoiding the draft.  Remember the "bone spurs" that he had...the ones where he couldn't remember which foot he had the bone spur in?
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    dignin said:
    Awesome tweet Barack! 
    Kick cancers ass McCain!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Its sad.  I think it is the same form of cancer Gord Downey has.  McCain seems like a good guy

McCain is OK.  Kind of a partisan Republican, but always seems to be leading a bit of the voice of reason charge, doesnt always 'get in line'. He has been a strong R voice to push back on Trump a little.  He always has been way too war-hawkish for my tastes.... but with that being said, we need people of all views represented and I believe he has always done it with class and high integrity.   Let's face it, Arizona, especially old-guard, isn't electing Elizabeth Warren as a Senator.

I guess this probably explains his bizarre line of questioning to Comey.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,172
    edited July 2017
    Cancer is far worse than any politicians ideals or voting history. I would never wish it upon someone. Here is hoping for the best for McCain. 
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Devastating news for McCain and his family. I wish him the best in his fight with cancer. I hope he stays strong and kicks its ass. While I miss the maverick McCain from previous decades, even now he has occasionally been the voice of reason against Trump's insanity or petulance, and that will be missed.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    pjhawks said:
    Cancer is far worse than any politicians ideals or voting history. I would never wish it upon someone. Here is hoping for the best for McCain. 
    I can think of a few people I would wish it upon, but McCain isn't one of them. I don't like him, but I don't hate him. This is sad - a brain tumour is one of the most devastating diagnoses that a person and their family can possibly get. It's usually a bad, slow death. 
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Yeah no need for hate this man sacrificed a whole lot for this country the least people can do is send good thoughts towards him ! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    I grew up in anchorage alaska and was in 7th grade when he ran for president. At the time, Sarah plain was a local hero, she was surprisingly an awesome governor and well known locally. When she was picked most Alaskans were excited, and I was too at my young age. There is a popular Alaskan radio show on the rock station called Bob and Mark. One morning in September of 08 they got a call from candidate McCain. Plain told him to call the radio show. It was really cool for everyone listening. Small time radio show has a presidential candidate call. 
    Any ways, just a cool story relating to John McCain. Hope he can beat it! I love seeing everyone pull together to give him well wishes. 
  • "My brain's a good brain!"
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    That clip is great.  But it's almost sad that we need to praise that.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    The only thing I give songbird credit for, the only thing is agreeing to be the 2008 Republican sacrificial lamb nominee. What does it say when only Sarah Palin would agree to political suicide and be his VP. 

A self admitting carpet bombing war criminal.

60 MINUTES

WALLACE: (Voiceover) People who know McCain well say he can hold a grudge. He also has a legendary temper. But if McCain can be hard on his friends and even harder on his enemies, he can also be very hard on himself.

Sen. McCAIN: I m--made serious, serious mistakes and did things wrong when I was in prison, OK?

WALLACE: What did you do wrong in prison?

Sen. McCAIN: I wrote a confession. I was guilty of war crimes against the Vietnamese people. I intentionally bombed women and children.

WALLACE: And you did it because you were being tortured...

Sen. McCAIN: I...

WALLACE: ...and you'd reached the end of the line.

Sen. McCAIN: Yes. But I should have gone further. I should have--I--I never believed that I would--that I would break, and I did.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/make-believe-maverick-20081016

https://www.counterpunch.org/2015/07/20/the-horrors-of-john-mccain-war-hero-or-war-criminal/

Will he live to witness his wildest dream? WW3 with Russia/Putin, time will tell.
    UNSUNG you're not alone.

https://medium.com/@caityjohnstone/good-600a38e0c75d

If you are saddened to learn that John McCain has been rendered incapable of returning to the Senate by a disease to which he will almost certainly succumb, it is only because you have found a way to compartmentalize away from truly comprehending the reality of what this man is and what he has done to the world. In order to avoid the cognitive discomfort of deeply recognizing the unspeakable horrors that the US war machine has unleashed upon the world with McCain’s devoted assistance, you’ve avoided looking directly at it, avoided considering it with emotional and intellectual honesty. Dissociating from the products of John McCain’s blood-saturated career has been more psychologically comfortable for you than facing the truth.
    JC29856 said:
    UNSUNG you're not alone.

If you are saddened to learn that John McCain has been rendered incapable of returning to the Senate by a disease to which he will almost certainly succumb, it is only because you have found a way to compartmentalize away from truly comprehending the reality of what this man is and what he has done to the world. In order to avoid the cognitive discomfort of deeply recognizing the unspeakable horrors that the US war machine has unleashed upon the world with McCain’s devoted assistance, you’ve avoided looking directly at it, avoided considering it with emotional and intellectual honesty. Dissociating from the products of John McCain’s blood-saturated career has been more psychologically comfortable for you than facing the truth.
    Unsung said that John McCain getting brain cancer was "good news".  So you are saying the same thing here?  You couldn't start another thread to spread your hate?  And no, I'm not a huge McCain fan but as I said earlier, that's not what this thread is about and I would never say someone getting brain cancer is "good new".

So now you're our latest AMT troll?  Lovely. 

brianlux said:
    JC29856 said:
    UNSUNG you're not alone.

Unsung said that John McCain getting brain cancer was "good news".  So you are saying the same thing here?  You couldn't start another thread to spread your hate?  And no, I'm not a huge McCain fan but as I said earlier, that's not what this thread is about and I would never say someone getting brain cancer is "good new".

I had an eye exam today where they put those drops in to look for glaucoma etc, so my vision is impaired, could you be kind enough to show me where I said Mccain cancer is good news?
    JC29856 said:
    brianlux said:
    JC29856 said:
    UNSUNG you're not alone.

I had an eye exam today where they put those drops in to look for glaucoma etc, so my vision is impaired, could you be kind enough to show me where I said Mccain cancer is good news?
    I already bolded that for you. 

brianlux said:
    JC29856 said:
    brianlux said:
    JC29856 said:
    UNSUNG you're not alone.

so let me understand your thinking, I think its good news (absent any opinion comments) that Mccain has brain cancer with regards to the "your not alone" instead of Caitlin Johnsons, the author linked?
    JC29856 said:
    brianlux said:
    JC29856 said:
    brianlux said:
    JC29856 said:
    UNSUNG you're not alone.

so let me understand your thinking, I think its good news (absent any opinion comments) that Mccain has brain cancer with regards to the "your not alone" instead of Caitlin Johnsons, the author linked?
    Not playing this game.  Goodbye.

• KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    Closed for review.
    Falling down,...not staying down
This discussion has been closed.