Options

Who was at BOTH MSG '98 and '10? Which was better & why?

JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
Was just reading about the love for the Kong poster from MSG10, and I'm wondering what was epic about that particular show.  I was at MSG2 in '98, the Breath show, and that was certainly epic for many reasons.  But I didn't get to MSG 10 and am really curious to hear from those who were at both, which did they like better and why?

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    Msg 2 98 beat 2010 hands down. Everything was absolutely perfect that night. 2010 night 2 was an amazing show but 98 was legendary. To me that 9/11/98 show is tied #1 out of the 57 times I ve seen pj. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Cool, what's it tied with for you for #1?
  • Options
    JH6056 said:
    Cool, what's it tied with for you for #1?
    Msg 2, 98 will forever be tied with Randall s night 2, 96.  
    Now don't count me wrong, that second night in 2010 was sick!!!
  • Options
    I'd still like others to weigh in on the 2 MSG2 shows, but I'd also love to hear why Randall's 2 is your other #1.  Was that the night Ed tied himself up in electrical tape?
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    msg 98 night 2 is in the top 5 of pj shows..there is no comparison
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Thanks Dimitrispearljam. What are the other 4 in the top 5? I know you know! 
  • Options
    And it would still be great to hear what was amazing about MSG2 10 as well, from those who were there...
  • Options
    JH6056 said:
    I'd still like others to weigh in on the 2 MSG2 shows, but I'd also love to hear why Randall's 2 is your other #1.  Was that the night Ed tied himself up in electrical tape?
    yeah bud that was the electrical tape show during porch!  
    Reasons randall's was my number #1:
    longest pearl jam show ever until penn state '03
    33 songs
    I was there with my 3 best friends...we still talk about the show today.
    I was on the rail between ed and mike.
    Crowd was insane
    Pearl Jam was even more insane.
    It was THE perfect sunday night in my opinion.
    Ed's speech in the beginning of the show set the tone of the show.
    First time I had ever seen pearl jam live so it was a very surreal experience for me.
  • Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,370
    edited July 2017
    MSG10 II was the culmination of what didn't happen the previous couple tours at MSG. It seemed after that 98 show when they came back they tried so hard to make it as epic, and something always went wrong. Some equipment malfunction, some unexpected crowd interaction, or just the setlist didn't pop just right. That 2nd night in 2010, it just all popped just right. Ed was in perfect form, the band was on fire, and the crowd was the perfect tinder. While it was no 98 show, it was that feeling I was looking for since. (I am lucky enough to have been to every MSG PJ show)
    Post edited by RS65573 on
  • Options
    RS65573 said:
    MSG10 II was the culmination of what didn't happen the previous couple tours at MSG. It seemed after that 98 show when they came back they tried so hard to make it as epic, and something always went wrong. Some equipment malfunction, some unexpected crowd interaction, or just the setlist didn't pop just right. That 2nd night in 2010, it just all popped just right. Ed was in perfect form, the band was on fire, and the crowd was the perfect tinder. While it was no 98 show, it was that feeling I was looking for since. (I am lucky enough to have been to every MSG PJ show)
    Thank you, that's a great description of the shows in between and then what made MSG2 10 stand out so much.  Wish I'd been there too!
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    JH6056 said:
    yeah bud that was the electrical tape show during porch!  
    Reasons randall's was my number #1:
    longest pearl jam show ever until penn state '03
    33 songs
    I was there with my 3 best friends...we still talk about the show today.
    I was on the rail between ed and mike.
    Crowd was insane
    Pearl Jam was even more insane.
    It was THE perfect sunday night in my opinion.
    Ed's speech in the beginning of the show set the tone of the show.
    First time I had ever seen pearl jam live so it was a very surreal experience for me.
    Amazing description! I don't remember Ed' s speech at the beginning - What did he say?
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,427
    I was also fortunate enough to be at Randall's Island and all of the shows at MSG.  My rank would be 1. Randall's Island 2 - the energy of the whole place being GA was off the charts, 2. MSG 2 in 98, and then MSG 2 in 2010.  

Great memories  =)
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    I was also at both Randalls Island shows...everyone loves night 2, but night 1 in the rain for me was my #2 show ever. #1 being my first PJ show 4/10/94.
  • Options
    StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    MSG 98, I was seeing PJ for the first time. MSG 2010 I was seeing them for the 20somethingth time. Which do you think was more exciting?

Also, MSG 98 night one was my first show after loving them for 6 years, and I was 7th row. That will always be my peak experience, regardless of if the show was considered subpar. The next night, I was in the back of the arena. People talk about how night 2 was so much better, but not from my perspective! 

"I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • Options
    Really enjoying these perspectives - thanks everyone!
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    MSG 2010

Nostalgia is overrated 

Of course, I wasn't at 1998 so that may influence me lol... but I was at 03 & 08 & 10 & 16
  • Options
    RS65573 said:
    Night one 2003 wasn't too shabby. ;)
    the 08 shows were meh. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    RS65573 said:
    the 08 shows were meh. 
    03 was awesome, but not even the best show that week.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    For bootlegs i like 98 better but then again my avatar is a damn 98 tour soccer jersey
  • Options
    RS65573 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    RS65573 said:
    the 08 shows were meh. 
    I always enjoyed the holmdel show better.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    RS65573 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    RS65573 said:
    the 08 shows were meh. 
    I always enjoyed the holmdel show better.  
    Me too...I learned in 98...if you can make the last night of any tour, definitely do that, its explosive. ;)
  • Options
    I think I only saw one end of a US tour, Seattle 2 in '00.  And yes, that was explosive, including that 1st playing of Alive after Roskilde, which was emotionally off the charts for everyone.  '98 was such a great tour of shows, I'd have loved to have seen the last show of that run.

Only saw 3 shows in '03 and none were NYC or NJ.  Glad that Holmdel one was great.  I thought in '98 all 3 NYC areas shows (Holmdel, then both MSG shows) were amazing, but of course culminating in MSG2.
  • Options
    JH6056 said:
    I think I only saw one end of a US tour, Seattle 2 in '00.  And yes, that was explosive, including that 1st playing of Alive after Roskilde, which was emotionally off the charts for everyone.  '98 was such a great tour of shows, I'd have loved to have seen the last show of that run.

Only saw 3 shows in '03 and none were NYC or NJ.  Glad that Holmdel one was great.  I thought in '98 all 3 NYC areas shows (Holmdel, then both MSG shows) were amazing, but of course culminating in MSG2.
    Holmdel was in 03. Check out the set list, one of the most unique main sets ever. 
    98 was east Rutherford,nj then msg. East Rutherford was a kick ass show too!!

i bet Seattle 2 was amazing!!
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    That Holmdel '03 setlist does look amazing, but I will forever be thrilled that I was at both Hartford '08 and Charlottesville '13, both of which I'd put up against the Holmdel setlist any day.   :)  Also, interestingly, both of which allegedly Ed did not write the setlists for (rumor has it Jeff wrote Hartford '08 and Stone Charlottesville '13).  Great times all around, you really couldn't lose being at any of those 3 shows including Holmdel!
    Post edited by JH6056 on
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    By the way, which song is "Why Can't I Touch It?"?  (Holmdel setlist)
  • Options
    Both Hartford 08 and Charlottesville are killer bootlegs!!! You can't go wrong with either. 
  • Options
    All 3: Major winners!

Holmdel, New Jersey

SET 1

1.   Wash

2.   Once

3.   Even Flow

4.   Go

5.   Dissident

6.   Corduroy

7.   Nothingman

8.   I Got Id

9.   In My Tree

10.  Present Tense

11.  Given To Fly

12. Wishlist

13. Why Can't I Touch It?

14.  Evacuation

15.  Insignificance

16.   1/2 Full

17.  Save You

18. Porch

ENCORE 1

1.   Growin' Up

2.   Do The Evolution

3.   Daughter

4.   Androgynous Mind

5.   Alive

ENCORE 2

1.   Hunger Strike

2.   Leaving Here

3.   Fortunate Son

4.   Rockin' In The Free World

ENCORE 3

1.   Yellow Ledbetter

FRIDAY, JUNE 27, 2008

Hartford, Connecticut

SET 1

1.   Can't Keep

2.   Breakerfall

3.   Last Exit

4.   Gods' Dice

5.   All Night

6.   Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town

7.   Sad

8.   Brain Of J.

9.   Big Wave

10.   In Hiding

11.   Not For You

12.  Modern Girl

13.  Daughter

14.  Another Brick In The Wall

15.  Why Go

16.   Jeremy

17.   Gone

18.   Immortality

19.   Porch

ENCORE 1

1.   Garden

2.   Better Man

3.   Even Flow

4.   Comatose

5.   Leash

6.   Blood

7.   Atomic Dog

ENCORE 2

1.   Smile

2.   Do The Evolution

3.   Alive

4.   Fuckin' Up

5.   Yellow Ledbetter

6.   Little Wing

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 29, 2013

Charlottesville, VA

SET 1

1.   Pendulum

2.   Release

3.   In My Tree

4.   Corduroy

5.   Go

6.   Why Go

7.   Lightning Bolt

8.   Mind Your Manners

9.   I Am Mine

10.  Swallowed Whole

11.  Faithfull

12. Wishlist

13. Sirens

14. Jeremy

15. Grievance

16. Glorified G

17.  The Fixer

18.  Down

19.  Rearviewmirror

ENCORE 1

1.   The End

2.   Thumbing My Way

3.   Sleight Of Hand

4.   Footsteps

5.   Future Days

6.   Mother

7.   Given To Fly

8.   Whipping

9.   Big Wave

10.  Sad

11.  Porch

ENCORE 2

1.   Breath

2.   State Of Love And Trust

3.   Alive

4.   Baba O'Riley

5.   Little Wing
  • Options
    Ooops, I've seriously digressed from MSGs '98 and '10, sorry!
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,298
    Well for one 98 was the 1st time the band headlined MSG enough said ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Good point josevolution - the energy they must have felt onstage just from that fact must've been off the charts!