Options

Solar Eclipse

Comments

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,862
    edited August 2017
    edit:  although people are saying not to do this, can ruin your phone.  so who knows.  Just get some sunglasses or 3-d glasses, that should work :wink:
    Image may contain text
    Post edited by eeriepadave on
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,709
    hedonist said:
    My husband laughed at me for that too :blush:

But the odd change in timing of light could mess with them in ways.  I heard that birds and other animals might revert to nocturnal behaviors.

It really is amazing how perceptive animals are and how tuned into the slightest changes they are.  Just last night I sat down by the screen door and was looking out into the night and Annie came up next to me.  Suddenly she jerked her head around, eyes wide open, ears cocked forward on the alert.  What the heck?  It was after midnight and I couldn't hear a thing out there but she was fully aware of every little thing going on.  I love that about animals!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    If you didn't get glasses or just want an opportunity to build something with your kids here is what our Canadian govt is suggesting to do.  This could be great bonding time.  http://www.asc-csa.gc.ca/eng/multimedia/activities/eclipse-projector.asp
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    rgambs said:
    Will polarized lenses be safe enough?
    Depends on % of totality.  Essentially, no, not at all.
    At 100 there's no problem with naked eye.  Anything below that and there's danger.  
    The problem is, you can get solar retinopathy without discomfort because there's is a slightly delayed inflammatory response that actually causes the retinopathy.  So maybe you look at a 90% eclipsed sun with sunglasses for 5 minutes and you don't feel bad, and then later it swells and hurts and you have permanent, irreversible vision loss.
    I'm guessing we're probably in the same path of totality, about 75-80%.  My eyes are super sensitive to light to begin with, so I don't need to do any damage to them.  I usually wear sunglasses when it's slightly overcast and I have to use polarized lenses for driving.  I'll check with our maintenance dept and see if I can borrow some welding goggles.
  • Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    Decided not to go to Charleston. We will watch it from my daughter's school instead. They are having a free eclipse party with different viewing options. Should be 96% here, but these afternoon showers might interfere.
  • Options
    Decided not to go to Charleston. We will watch it from my daughter's school instead. They are having a free eclipse party with different viewing options. Should be 96% here, but these afternoon showers might interfere.
    Part of me says "thank you".  There are a gazillion people in Charleston right now.  
    Atlanta 2003
    Columbia 2008
    Charlotte 2013
    Seattle 2013
    Greenville 2016
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I just found out that the Cape Cod National Seashore has a whole event planned and that they'll have the glasses there. Fun activities for the kids, too. Boom!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    dankind said:
    I just found out that the Cape Cod National Seashore has a whole event planned and that they'll have the glasses there. Fun activities for the kids, too. Boom!
    Boom boom, out go the lights!

Workplace has some glasses here but I figure I'll either check it out from my office or just step outside for a few.

• Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Don't people look at the sun on and given day anyways.....?
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    FoxyRedLa said:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    :rofl:
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    I just looked at it.  For like 0.2 seconds.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,906
    In and out of cloud cover here west of Boston. Truth be told I'm already kind of bored.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,831
    FoxyRedLa said:
    yes, but my understanding of it is, on a normal day, you can't look at the sun too long, as it's too bright.  your brain doesn't detect radiation damage to your eyes in pain form, so if you are looking at the eclipse, it won't be as bright, so you'll be able to look longer, but the damage will be the same. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,542
    Kind of cloudy here in Omaha but still awesome  to see and experience including the temperature drop.
  • Options
    Kind of anti-climactic here.

Was it good for you?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    That was a real letdown. I think they really over sold it. :lol: A total eclipse is different, but where I am it was 86% coverage. So I kind of expected it to go really quite dark - you know, like 86% of the light would be gone. Obviously I suck at science, because that isn't what happened at all, hahaha. Though what did surprise me was how cold it got. The temperature suddenly plummeted by probably 8 degrees Celsius.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Anybody else ever see the episode from the original Dragnet series where a hippie on LSD stares at the sun and goes blind?  It was supposed to be one of those episodes that scares kids away from drugs but it was so corny it probably did more to encourage drug use than not.  :lol:

• Options
    Dragnet and Adam-12 always had cheesy storylines involving drugs.

I loved those shows.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,537
    I expected it to be really dark but not at all.  Glad I didn't leave the office for this.  Was cloudy I guess.
  • Options

• Options
    URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,624
    Just got this great shot through the tinted portion of my windshield....
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,996
    URthekey said:
    Just got this great shot through the tinted portion of my windshield....
    Nice shot!  I tried that with my iphone but didn't get a good result.
  • Options
    URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,624
    That ones a little blurry this one is sharper
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,734
    It's was pretty cool to see from my front yard in NC.

Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,195
    i watched it online through ABC and have to say those places that had the Total Eclipse looked cool as shit.  Philly area here was in the 75-80% range and as a few mentioned above thought it might get darker than it did. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,831
    totally overcast here. was also expecting it to be darker, but nothing. I am in the 70% range I think. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    edited August 2017
    totally overcast here. was also expecting it to be darker, but nothing. I am in the 70% range I think. 
    There were no clouds here at all, so it definitely got noticeably dimmer, but probably only as dim as it is on a dark, cloudy day in the winter. Weak!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    A couple of folks in my dept had glasses and someone even had a piece of welder's glass.  Tried to get a pic with my phone thru the glasses but I had a hell of a time getting it to focus.
    It did get a little dimmer here (not much) and the temp & humidity both dropped a significant amount.

Definitely beats the Rapture of 2011. :lol:
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    A couple of folks in my dept had glasses and someone even had a piece of welder's glass.  Tried to get a pic with my phone thru the glasses but I had a hell of a time getting it to focus.
    It did get a little dimmer here (not much) and the temp & humidity both dropped a significant amount.

Definitely beats the Rapture of 2011. :lol:
    That was awesome.  Totally forgot about those nutters.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved