Options

What is "The American Way of Life"?

2»

Comments

• Options
    camsjamcamsjam Posts: 375
    I watched an interesting documentary on Netflix a couple months ago called requiem for the American dream. Dankind's list above hits most of  the  10 principles of how the American wealthy ( who founded and still operate or control our government) protect their interests while creating and manufacturing the illusion of equality to pacify the citizens who hugely outnumber them. People forget how America was really founded. Remember the Puritans? Taxes? Well not our money going to some King overseas but hey we can govern ourselves and collect taxes from all the workers to pay us for the great job we're doing. I do love my country but like a sibling who is often clueless but righteous. ....annoying but will always be a part of you. Speaking of annoying  (or clueless ) I tried to attach the  link but phone is not cooperating. If you Google it YouTube has it as well. It's about 4 years old but seems more revelant than ever.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    as a canadian, my perspective is that americans see the american way of life as freedom to succeed and prosper. they also see it as the best way of life. which is odd to me. I never have, nor will I ever, understood patriotism in that sense. how is the american way of life, really, honestly any different from any other first world country's way of life? I think the only main difference is other countries don't tend to brag about it. 

in my mind, the whole idea of the american dream started out as a way to attract european immigrants so they could stack the labour force and help the economy. and over time, people bought into it, and it became a national source of pride. 
    I agree with that... If anything, many other first world nations offer more freedom than America does in a lot of ways, not less. I am not sure why Americans seem to think their country is the end all and be all of freedom. It's not. It's a hell of a lot better in that context than many other nations on Earth, they American is far from cornering the market on it, especially these days, when the right to choose is under such attack, when the federal government still wants to wage a war on weed, when many states are still restricting rights in the LGBTQ. Also, "the right to prosper" is a confusing term when looking at the USA. I am really not clear on what that is supposed to mean, exactly, given the current reality (same with many other developed nations).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    PJ_Soul said:
    as a canadian, my perspective is that americans see the american way of life as freedom to succeed and prosper. they also see it as the best way of life. which is odd to me. I never have, nor will I ever, understood patriotism in that sense. how is the american way of life, really, honestly any different from any other first world country's way of life? I think the only main difference is other countries don't tend to brag about it. 

in my mind, the whole idea of the american dream started out as a way to attract european immigrants so they could stack the labour force and help the economy. and over time, people bought into it, and it became a national source of pride. 
    I agree with that... If anything, many other first world nations offer more freedom than America does in a lot of ways, not less. I am not sure why Americans seem to think their country is the end all and be all of freedom. It's not. It's a hell of a lot better in that context than many other nations on Earth, they American is far from cornering the market on it, especially these days, when the right to choose is under such attack, when the federal government still wants to wage a war on weed, when many states are still restricting rights in the LGBTQ. Also, "the right to prosper" is a confusing term when looking at the USA. I am really not clear on what that is supposed to mean, exactly, given the current reality (same with many other developed nations).
    "America, land of the free" is becoming a myth.  We have to have "proof of citizenship" to day just about anything and it gets worse all the time.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.