Options

Things that matter today?

JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
please post the relevant things that matter today!
thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Food, Shelter, Water
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    Food, Shelter, Water
    Shelter, water, fire and food are the correct order when in a survival situation. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    ^^^
    No way man.  Give me my food!

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    Reasonable health matters. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,682
    The essentials of life, as already listed in various orders.
    Music, sweet music.
    Thinking about how beautiful so much of our country (and the world) is and thinking about ways I can help protect that beauty.
    Maintaining a sense of humor amongst the chaos.
    Working on the final last read-through edit of my book.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    JC29856 said:
    please post the relevant things that matter today!
    thanks in advance.
    Health and family. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937
    Logic, critical thought, and the importance of both.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    benjs said:
    Logic, critical thought, and the importance of both.
    Great choice, right on!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    For some, devising a strategy to defeat President Trump in the next election.
  • Options

Khaled Ghamri?
  • Options
    For some, devising a strategy to defeat President Trump in the next election.
    Not so important really.  I mean, how hard could that be? lol.

• Options
    What is the intent of the thread OP?  
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    For me, what and who matter pretty much every other day in my life.

I do have some really nice memories of this holiday from when I was a kid, though.  I am thankful for them, and for those who helped make them.
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271
    Family
    Friends
    Music
    Nature
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,538
  • Options
    An interesting thought that came to me this Independence Day:

My father, who is still with us, has lived through  a little over 40% of our entire nations history since it gained independence in 1776.  We are a very young nation.

• Options
    funny the way it is...
    Congress can only get together for bipartisan support of empirical foreign policy, things that might help you and I....nah, maybe later
    funny the way it is...
    you must choose a side, Democrat or Republican, otherwise you're full of hate, you hate America, which side are you on
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,580
    Nothing 
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Just read this in bed, ready to hit the zzzz'z and was so blown away I got up to jot it down:

"Every wild thing is in tune with its surroundings, awake to it's fate and in absolute harmony with the planet.  Their attention is focused totally outwards.  Humans, on the other hand, tend to focus introspectively on their own lives too often, brooding and magnifying problems that the animal kingdom would not waste a millisecond of energy upon.  To most people, the magnificent order of the natural world where life and death actually mean something has become unrecognizable."

Lawrence Anthony, The Elephant Listener*, p.249

*The author points out that term "Elephant Listener" refers to the awareness of elephants, not that of the author.

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,216
    brianlux said:
    Just read this in bed, ready to hit the zzzz'z and was so blown away I got up to jot it down:

"Every wild thing is in tune with its surroundings, awake to it's fate and in absolute harmony with the planet.  Their attention is focused totally outwards.  Humans, on the other hand, tend to focus introspectively on their own lives too often, brooding and magnifying problems that the animal kingdom would not waste a millisecond of energy upon.  To most people, the magnificent order of the natural world where life and death actually mean something has become unrecognizable."

*The author points out that term "Elephant Listener" refers to the awareness of elephants, not that of the author.

Thanks for sharing Brian. And when we do try to focus on our planet and our harmony with it, it's a hoax and waste of money according to a lot of people. We expect everything to adapt to us and our way of life.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    brianlux said:

Thanks for sharing Brian. And when we do try to focus on our planet and our harmony with it, it's a hoax and waste of money according to a lot of people. We expect everything to adapt to us and our way of life.
    Exactly, T!  That way of thinking is what is sometimes referred to as anthropocentric thinking.  It's a shame we don't more often use biocentric thinking which would be better for us as a species and better for the planet.  Out anthropocentric thinking (and way of living) may prove to be self-eliminating at some point.

The Elephant Listener is a great book by the way. 

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,216
    brianlux said:
    tbergs said:
    brianlux said:

Exactly, T!  That way of thinking is what is sometimes referred to as anthropocentric thinking.  It's a shame we don't more often use biocentric thinking which would be better for us as a species and better for the planet.  Out anthropocentric thinking (and way of living) may prove to be self-eliminating at some point.

I'll add it to the list! So many good books and so little time to read them all.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    brianlux said:
    tbergs said:
    brianlux said:

I'll add it to the list! So many good books and so little time to read them all.
    Oh man, ain't it so!

• Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    I see animals as being in the moment in the purest sense. Our human ability to reflect, forecast, and be conscience of self also can drive us nuts. Our culture exacerbates this. We plan, have regrets, stress about things out of our control, and think we can do multiple things at the same time. My dogs give me the gift of letting me know there is no better time than what is right now. 
  • Options
    I see animals as being in the moment in the purest sense. Our human ability to reflect, forecast, and be conscience of self also can drive us nuts. Our culture exacerbates this. We plan, have regrets, stress about things out of our control, and think we can do multiple things at the same time. My dogs give me the gift of letting me know there is no better time than what is right now. 
    I'm TERRIBLE when it comes to fretting over things that haven't even happened yet.  Stress is my middle name.  I think that's why I like the Lawrence Anthony quote so much and also why I totally get what you mean about how an animal like your dog can help keep the focus on the moment. I need those reminders as much or more than anyone!

My cat does that too.  I was having this bad dream about my cat Annie this morning and next thing I know she has jumped up on the bed and meowed (which is unusual for her) as if to say, "Hey, that's not what's happening, this is.  Let's purr and be in the here and now!"

• Options
    where are all the amt lefties on real racial issues? I guess they only care about race when it's politically expedient to call someone racist.

https://www.propublica.org/article/minority-neighborhoods-higher-car-insurance-premiums-white-areas-same-risk
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    JC29856 said:
    where are all the amt lefties on real racial issues? I guess they only care about race when it's politically expedient to call someone racist.

https://www.propublica.org/article/minority-neighborhoods-higher-car-insurance-premiums-white-areas-same-risk
    This is just an okay troll post, but thanks for highlighting another example of economic racism that also combines white privilege. 
  • Options
    JC29856 said:

YEAH, DAMN IT!!  SON OF A BITCH!!

(I don't know why I said that, but I sincerely hope that qualifies as the emotive rageophonic verbal effluence you were seeking!  :smile:  )

• Options
    brianlux said:
    JC29856 said:

YEAH, DAMN IT!!  SON OF A BITCH!!

(I don't know why I said that, but I sincerely hope that qualifies as the emotive rageophonic verbal effluence you were seeking!  :smile:  )
    I don't see much on Yemen either. 
    US UK arm Saudis and destroy a starving Yemen meanwhile Russia Russia Russia sends 25 million tons of food.

"don't it make you smile, don't it make you smile"