Options

The Pizza Thread

Comments

• Options
    dankind said:
    bbiggs said:
    That traditional looks amazing, especially the crust how it’s rolled up around the edges.  Question...is it customary just to get plain cheese in NY (and surrounding areas)? I know you can get any toppings you want, but most pics I see of east coast pies tend to be cheese. I’m wondering if it’s frowned upon to dress a pizza up with, let’s say, sausage and green pepper (my personal go-to). Also, do round pies ever get cut in squares? I know the square pies do, but round? 
    According to science, New Yorkers tend to have very bland tastes- it suits their personalities.

Further... it's tough to find truly 'fresh' vegetables (such as green peppers) in the concrete jungle; therefore, under the guise of 'sophistication'... New Yorkers will tell you that cheese pizza is 'the only way to have it'.
    You want me to ruin a perfect cracker crust with the extra weight and moisture that come from added toppings? Fuhgeddaboudit.

A side salad is preferable. 
    I'm pretty sure I'm exposing myself to some abuse here, but I cannot pretend to know what a cracker crust is.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,930
    mcgruff10 said:
    Tough to see but our next door neighbor just dropped off stuffed shells (there were six lol) and meatballs. Perfect cure for a hangover. 
    That’s the real deal right there! What a neighbor! Its become a tradition for me to make stuffed shells every year between thanksgiving and Christmas when I have family in town. I’ll post when the time comes. 
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,463
    dankind said:
    bbiggs said:
    That traditional looks amazing, especially the crust how it’s rolled up around the edges.  Question...is it customary just to get plain cheese in NY (and surrounding areas)? I know you can get any toppings you want, but most pics I see of east coast pies tend to be cheese. I’m wondering if it’s frowned upon to dress a pizza up with, let’s say, sausage and green pepper (my personal go-to). Also, do round pies ever get cut in squares? I know the square pies do, but round? 
    According to science, New Yorkers tend to have very bland tastes- it suits their personalities.

Further... it's tough to find truly 'fresh' vegetables (such as green peppers) in the concrete jungle; therefore, under the guise of 'sophistication'... New Yorkers will tell you that cheese pizza is 'the only way to have it'.
    You want me to ruin a perfect cracker crust with the extra weight and moisture that come from added toppings? Fuhgeddaboudit.

I'm pretty sure I'm exposing myself to some abuse here, but I cannot pretend to know what a cracker crust is.
    I am also unfamiliar with cracker crust
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,450
    BLACK35 said:
    dankind said:
    bbiggs said:

me three.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Cracker crust is what white pizza is made with. :lol:  Cracka ass cracka!
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    BLACK35 said:
    dankind said:
    bbiggs said:

Cracker crust

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    I just assumed cracker crust was thin crust that was crispy. No? 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    edited October 2018
    Those pizzas (bofa) look awesome.
    I don't think anyone would laugh at u for those toppings...
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    dankind said:
    BLACK35 said:
    dankind said:
    bbiggs said:

Cracker crust

Looks like regular crust to me. Is it just crisper?
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    BLACK35 said:
    dankind said:
    BLACK35 said:
    dankind said:
    bbiggs said:

Cracker crust

Looks like regular crust to me. Is it just crisper?
    Thin crust. The bottom layer has a little crunch to it and cracks on the fold, but the layer above that is chewy and maintains its structural integrity on the fold.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Well said, thx. I won't have to worry then, I never fold my slices 😉
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    The satisfying feeling of hearing a slight crunch upon folding....yummm!
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,450
    “structural integrity”

what are you, a fucking engineer?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    “structural integrity”

C'mon man, we know that  the only thing you care about is that your pepperoni edges are slightly charred!

• Options
    BLACK35 said:
    Don’t let scruffy hear you say that. Them are fightin’ words! 
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    “structural integrity”

C'mon man, we know that  the only thing you care about is that your pepperoni edges are slightly charred!

Juliana's does both: cracker crust and charred pep.

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    BLACK35 said:
    You dont  know what you are missing.  Just try it once and I guarantee it will change your pizza life. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Wobbie said:
    “structural integrity”

That looks killer
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    dankind said:
    Wobbie said:
    “structural integrity”

Tried to get into Juliana's once, but did not want to spend my day waiting in line. It does look good.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Wobbie said:
    “structural integrity”

Tried to get into Juliana's once, but did not want to spend my day waiting in line. It does look good.
    You must not have had very good company. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mcgruff10 said:
    BLACK35 said:
    You dont  know what you are missing.  Just try it once and I guarantee it will change your pizza life. 
    Why not just get a calzone if you're gonna roll it all up inside the crust anyways?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    BLACK35 said:
    Why not just get a calzone if you're gonna roll it all up inside the crust anyways?
    Somehow they believe the *ahem* ritual </quotation fingers> of folding adds something to the overall eating experience & taste of the pie.  It's like the kid who puts an import tuning sticker on his car and thinks it suddenly has more horsepower. :lol:
  • Options
    For me, folding is for eating on the go. And when you live in NYC, many slices are eaten on the go. After a while it becomes a habit, and you'll find yourself at a nice sit-down pizzeria (or, in Scruffy's case, at home) folding like a troglodyte instead of taking the time to enjoy your meal.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    Wobbie said:
    “structural integrity”

You must not have had very good company. 
    I had such good company that we had other things to do. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    ^ A generic lol would not be appropriate in this case. This truly had me laughing out loud! 
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    BLACK35 said:
    Somehow they believe the *ahem* ritual </quotation fingers> of folding adds something to the overall eating experience & taste of the pie.  It's like the kid who puts an import tuning sticker on his car and thinks it suddenly has more horsepower. :lol:
    I don’t think it increases the taste I think it is just habit.  I can’t imgine eating pizza with a knife and fork or without a fold. 
    And I do agree with dan, most of the time pizza is eat on the go hence the fold. The fold prevents grease stoppage too. 

• Options
    I would say that I don't want a calzone because the of the heat trapped in there.  Burns the crap outta your mouth.

Another practical reason for the fold is that you make sure the cheese cannot slide off if the shit is sloppy/too hot.

I kid, I don't actually care what you call a pizza (Lou's, Ellio's, or Amazing/Good Pizza) or how you eat it.  (Fold, drop on the floor, fork & knife, or even (gasp!) dab the grease from the top of it with a napkin.)  Some of the best pizza is had a 2 AM, and on occasion I forget that I even had it.

It is fun to share pizza stories.  Spoke with a person this weekend about 'Taking a Lou's' and they laughed out loud and said they had a similar experience.  Stories like these make the world go 'round.  (And re-enforces that the best pizza in the US comes from the Mid-Atlantic region of NY/NJ.)  :)

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited October 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    BLACK35 said:
    I tried it once. Hated it. It made no logical sense to me.
    (I've honestly never met a single Canadian who folded FWIW)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    BLACK35 said:
    I tried it once. Hated it. It made no logical sense to me.
    (I've honestly never met a single Canadian who folded FWIW)
    So you guys start folding your pizza when you get married? Is there a special part of the ceremony dedicated to this?