Options

The Pizza Thread

Comments

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    PJ_Soul said:
    Wobbie said:
    my cheap ass went for the papa murphy’s $6.99 XLNY tonight. was about what you’d expect from a 7 buck pizza.

Well now I don't have to wonder if Papa Murphy's is any good, lol. That's the take-n-bake place, right? I figured it would be better than that.
    An Irishman should not be making pizzas...
    I hate to defend the Irish, but I will say that the best Italian restaurant for at least 20 years (likely more) in the North End is run by an Irish family. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,006
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Wobbie said:
    my cheap ass went for the papa murphy’s $6.99 XLNY tonight. was about what you’d expect from a 7 buck pizza.

Well now I don't have to wonder if Papa Murphy's is any good, lol. That's the take-n-bake place, right? I figured it would be better than that.
    I hate to defend the Irish, but I will say that the best Italian restaurant for at least 20 years (likely more) in the North End is run by an Irish family. 
    No it's not, stop it.

The level of good food in your area must be scarce then?!?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    edited July 2018
    Irish people can learn to cook good Italian, definitely. ;)
    The only time I really care about what nationality is doing the cooking is in sushi houses (in a city where apparently 80% of the sushi houses are actually Chinese run). For some reason the Japanese just have it nailed and nobody else truly does.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    The only time I really care about what nationality is doing the cooking is in sushi houses (in a city where apparently 80% of the sushi houses are actually Chinese run). For some reason the Japanese just have it nailed and nobody else truly does.
    Look I can make a great sauce too and I'm not Italian.

I'm just saying that I wouldn't go to an Irish Italian place as my first choice.

As for the Sushi comment I agree too.  If they have other food on the menu that isn't Sushi I tend to stay clear...
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    PJ_Soul said:

I'm just saying that I wouldn't go to an Irish Italian place as my first choice.

As for the Sushi comment I agree too.  If they have other food on the menu that isn't Sushi I tend to stay clear...
    +1 with all of this. 
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

That reminds me of all the pizza/Indian places we have here, and the pizza/middle eastern joints. SO many of our local pizza joints also have full on Indian or Middle Eastern menus (run by Indians or Arabs). You can order a deluxe meat pizza plus a nice aloo gobi with naan for delivery, lol. And most of the indian or middle eastern food is surprisingly good ... the pizzas are usually acceptable but not mind blowing, but are on occasion particularly not good. I'm not really sure why these business owners choose to do this, but I have to assume it works out best economically, or else they wouldn't be doing it so often, would they?? I would have guessed that they'd do better just going full on Indian or Middle Eastern. People love that shit. But I guess not. I must be underestimating people's desire to get pizza with their ethnic food orders, lol. Perhaps people go for it because they have kids who will only eat the pizza??
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Then you would be missing out on one of the best meals of your life.

And remember I lived in tracksuit, gold chain, Armani pinstripe, land yacht, Sunday gravy-stained wife beater, pinky ring, etc. territory in Brooklyn (Carroll Gardens).
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,877
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:

And remember I lived in tracksuit, gold chain, Armani pinstripe, land yacht, Sunday gravy-stained wife beater, pinky ring, etc. territory in Brooklyn (Carroll Gardens).
    What is the name of the restaurant?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:

LMAO! The description is priceless. Sounds on par with where I grew up. 
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:

What is the name of the restaurant?
    Pomodoro. Consistently, and again we’re talking about a more than 20-year timeframe of dining there (and it’s changed locations a couplefew times), the best seafood fra diavolo and zuppa di pesce I’ve ever had. 

Edit: Those who know me know that I also hate to say anything good about Boston, but I can’t deny the awesomeness of this place. 
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

That reminds me of all the pizza/Indian places we have here, and the pizza/middle eastern joints. SO many of our local pizza joints also have full on Indian or Middle Eastern menus (run by Indians or Arabs). You can order a deluxe meat pizza plus a nice aloo gobi with naan for delivery, lol. And most of the indian or middle eastern food is surprisingly good ... the pizzas are usually acceptable but not mind blowing, but are on occasion particularly not good. I'm not really sure why these business owners choose to do this, but I have to assume it works out best economically, or else they wouldn't be doing it so often, would they?? I would have guessed that they'd do better just going full on Indian or Middle Eastern. People love that shit. But I guess not. I must be underestimating people's desire to get pizza with their ethnic food orders, lol. Perhaps people go for it because they have kids who will only eat the pizza??

A few years back I drove by the best 'versatile' business I've ever seen (in Langley or Surrey... I can't remember): Jot's Meats and Passport Photos.

It was the one stop shop for grabbing some meat and getting your passport photo done!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

A few years back I drove by the best 'versatile' business I've ever seen (in Langley or Surrey... I can't remember): Jot's Meats and Passport Photos.

It was the one stop shop for grabbing some meat and getting your passport photo done!
    You know shady shit HAS to go down in that shop...
  • Options
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:

As my first choice, lol.  Doesn't mean I wouldn't try it.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,463
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Wobbie said:

there was a pizza place in vegas, run by some chinese folk, that was excellent.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

:lol:
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Biggest Pizza In Las Vegas Is 30 Inches
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inZkSfKVyDY
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,623
    I dont understand how you can grab that giant ass piece of pie and hold it straight up.
    Good pizza will slide away on you -- that is why you have to do 'the fold' -- any serious pizza eater knows this.
    She actually shakes them while holding them straight down...and nothing happens.  ??

That being said it doesn't look bad and I love in the start of the video how happy she is with her pizza.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,623
    Prepping....request from the four year old that we make pizzas tonight.  Sauce is done, dough balls have been in the fridge for hours.  I've been eating pizza sparingly, this is gonna be good

• Options
    Yeah buddy! Looking good. Diced jalapeño...mmmmm 
  • Options
    Prepping....request from the four year old that we make pizzas tonight.  Sauce is done, dough balls have been in the fridge for hours.  I've been eating pizza sparingly, this is gonna be good

Beauty!!

Doing burgers tonight (too hot to have the oven on), but I wish I was doing what you guys will be doing!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Was very good

The 4 year old's was excellent:

The 13 year old insisted on smooshing the dough and so the transfer to the stone didn't happen properly....had to cut it up and transfer.  Tasted pretty good, though:

Made a grandma for mine...it was pretty awesome.  I nailed the sauce this time and a grandma takes full advantage of that.  

• Options
    H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    Hell yeah. Looks good. I've got so much basil growing out on our fire escape right now. Need to use some up. Pizza night for sure this week. Maybe a pesto pie is in order...  =)
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • Options
    I can't keep up with the basil.  It feels good to use some on the pie.
    Not eating pasta now but that is a dish I can load a shitton of basil into.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,877
    Looks good Brett!! Going a little ketel with that pie?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Corona and Don Julio shots in the frozen salt shot glass
  • Options

Question?

I was told by an Italian to not use Olive Oil and just use Canola and it would actually taste better?

I've never attempted to make my own pizza so I don't know.
  • Options
    Hell yeah. Looks good. I've got so much basil growing out on our fire escape right now. Need to use some up. Pizza night for sure this week. Maybe a pesto pie is in order...  =)
    Freeze that Pesto for winter!!!
  • Options

Question?

I was told by an Italian to not use Olive Oil and just use Canola and it would actually taste better?

I've never attempted to make my own pizza so I don't know.
    Olive oil > canola oil all day. Much healthier too. 
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Canola is pretty bland; Olive oil is going to have more flavor.  But I wouldn't say it's "much healthier" than Canola.  They're still the two healthiest oils you can use in cooking; both are low in saturated fat and contain a decent amount of Omega-3's. I would still prefer Olive oil for pizza just because of the flavor component.  Canola has a higher smoke point, so it is better for high-temp cooking like fying (which may be where the unhealthy misconception comes from).
  • Options
    Yeah, olive oil is better IMO, but it's just a matter of taste. Canola has less flavour, and olive oil has a stronger and distinct flavour, so if someone isn't a big fan of the flavour of olive oil, then canola is the way to go.