rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Further, Scruffy... your pizza was like a multi-purpose tool: there were at least three edible bites (making it legit food)... aaand... several sections of it could serve as briquettes for barbequing or for road marking on lighter concrete.

So your pizza wins!
    I hate you. 
    Dont you have some maple syrup to collect?
    You collect sap, you make it into syrup.

You're welcome.
    Semantics? I Am confused. 

Disinformation campaign.
    lol.  Explain the process to me.
    It's incredibly simple.  In spring, Sugar Maples of a certain size have a thin, clear sap that runs for a short time.  During that time you tap the tree to collect the sap and boil it down into syrup.
    Typically it takes about 40 gallons of sap to make a gallon of syrup if you are using appropriately sized sugar maples, up to 100 to 1 if using Birch or Hickory.
    Do you add anything to it at the end Or is that it?
    That's it, there's some straining in there at different points.
    Oh man I have to imagine that it tastes amazing!  You do this on your property?

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Lunch. Hams are incredible over here!! Lunch. Hams are incredible over here!!

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    That prosciutto looks sick. 
  • Options
    NinetytworulesNinetytworules Boston Posts: 454
    Best Peet’s so far
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    Currently, Ninetytworules this thread.
    I know.

And it's pissing me off as I chew on a sesame snap.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Further, Scruffy... your pizza was like a multi-purpose tool: there were at least three edible bites (making it legit food)... aaand... several sections of it could serve as briquettes for barbequing or for road marking on lighter concrete.

So your pizza wins!
    I hate you. 

You're welcome.

Disinformation campaign.
    It's incredibly simple.  In spring, Sugar Maples of a certain size have a thin, clear sap that runs for a short time.  During that time you tap the tree to collect the sap and boil it down into syrup.
    Typically it takes about 40 gallons of sap to make a gallon of syrup if you are using appropriately sized sugar maples, up to 100 to 1 if using Birch or Hickory.

Nope, not blessed with an abundance of maples, mostly elm, oak, cherry, and an uncommon number of hickory.  Good lumber value, close to 10,000$ on less than 4 acres!
    Sugaring is too much a pain for a small homestead anyways.  As I said, 40-1 volume means a whole lot of boiling for a little syrup.  Must be done outdoors or walls and ceiling get slimy/sticky.  Big outfits use a special evaporator.
    I used to tap trees and run lines for a local Boy Scout camp for free syrup and 4$ and hour when I was a teen.
    Now I buy local Amish maple syrup.
    I'll take maple syrup over honey every day of the week when it comes to flavor, but honey is a miracle of nature.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,470
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

So your pizza wins!
    I hate you. 

You're welcome.

Disinformation campaign.
    My neighbor behind me tapped his maple tree this year, I couldn't quite see that was what he was doing at 1st. But he had this propane burner running off a tank in backyard I could see and wasn't sure what it was for. I thought he was cooking meth lol, until I saw him move the tap on tree.
    I live in a residential neighborhood, so that's why I thought it was weird for him to be tapping tree. It was a big maple by the way and don't know what he got off it for yeild
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    BLACK35 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

So your pizza wins!
    I hate you. 

You're welcome.

Disinformation campaign.
    My neighbor behind me tapped his maple tree this year, I couldn't quite see that was what he was doing at 1st. But he had this propane burner running off a tank in backyard I could see and wasn't sure what it was for. I thought he was cooking meth lol, until I saw him move the tap on tree.
    I live in a residential neighborhood, so that's why I thought it was weird for him to be tapping tree. It was a big maple by the way and don't know what he got off it for yeild
    I think 10-20 gallons sap is average for each tap, each tree gets one tap until it's something like a 25 inch diameter.
    So your neighbor probably yeilded 1-3 quarts.

It's nice to make your own, a real delight, but not worth it for me.
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,470
    rgambs said:
    BLACK35 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

So your pizza wins!
    I hate you. 

You're welcome.

Disinformation campaign.
    I think 10-20 gallons sap is average for each tap, each tree gets one tap until it's something like a 25 inch diameter.
    So your neighbor probably yeilded 1-3 quarts.

It's nice to make your own, a real delight, but not worth it for me.
    me too. I'll just buy it
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
  • Options
    Best Peet’s so far
    is this in rome?
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Growing up in VT...springtime meant many buddies skipping school to help their families run their sugar sheds.  Maple syrup is hard work but that shit is so good.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Growing up in VT...springtime meant many buddies skipping school to help their families run their sugar sheds.  Maple syrup is hard work but that shit is so good.
    Sugar on snow = nom!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    dankind said:
    Sugar on snow = nom!
    F yeah!
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    dankind said:
    Sugar on snow = nom!
    F yeah!
    With dill pickles and doughnuts. Hot damn!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    Sugar on snow = nom!
    F yeah!
    With dill pickles and doughnuts. Hot damn!
    And snowmobile races.  (And pond jumping.) 
  • Options
    H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    Lunch. Hams are incredible over here!! Lunch. Hams are incredible over here!!
    Hot damn! This looks incredilble... btw those of you in Rome go out and eat some Carbanara and post photos. The best!!
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Best Peet’s so far
    is this in rome?
    Yeah this is Rome. Better pie here. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Best Peet’s so far
    is this in rome?
    In your opinion what sets it above the rest? crust? cheese? sauce?
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

So your pizza wins!
    I hate you. 

You're welcome.

Disinformation campaign.

Nope, not blessed with an abundance of maples, mostly elm, oak, cherry, and an uncommon number of hickory.  Good lumber value, close to 10,000$ on less than 4 acres!
    Sugaring is too much a pain for a small homestead anyways.  As I said, 40-1 volume means a whole lot of boiling for a little syrup.  Must be done outdoors or walls and ceiling get slimy/sticky.  Big outfits use a special evaporator.
    I used to tap trees and run lines for a local Boy Scout camp for free syrup and 4$ and hour when I was a teen.
    I'll take maple syrup over honey every day of the week when it comes to flavor, but honey is a miracle of nature.
    They hook up pumps to the spigots now and suck all the sap out through hoses.  It has gone mainline now.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

So your pizza wins!
    I hate you. 

You're welcome.

Disinformation campaign.

They hook up pumps to the spigots now and suck all the sap out through hoses.  It has gone mainline now.
    You can see the hoses in the pics above.  Remember when that first started happening, years ago, how odd it looked in the woods.
    SOOOO much easier, though.
  • Options
    We started running lines in 2002, I think.  No pumps, just ran the lines to a collection point downhill.
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Best Peet’s so far
    is this in rome?
    In your opinion what sets it above the rest? crust? cheese? sauce?
    Gots to be the water.

Where my Brooklyn peeps at? 

What! What!
  • Options
    This place was awesome 
  • Options
    I may get banned for this, but...
    Damn, aren't you getting tired of pizza??? lol
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    You are ALWAYS welcome in my pizza thread, gambs!  Gotta maintain the balance from the NY/NJ "cardboard lords."  :lol:
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    I cut myself off from pizza for 2 months before the trip so I have been pretty stoked about all the pie. Starting tomorrow you will see a more varied selection.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    You are ALWAYS welcome in my pizza thread, gambs!  Gotta maintain the balance from the NY/NJ "cardboard lords."  :lol:
    Wow. Those are fighting words. 
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    I cut myself off from pizza for 2 months before the trip so I have been pretty stoked about all the pie. Starting tomorrow you will see a more varied selection.
    O can't find fault in that, solid strategy.
    If you come across Tirolian Speck don't pass it up!

I had more enjoyment from the cured meats in Italy than I did from pasta or pizza, but I hadn't done my research and I struck out some on both.  Italy has shitty pasta and pizza too lol
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    Wow. Those are fighting words. 
    H-h-h-h-h-h-eh!  (my best typed impression of Peter Griffin chuckling).