Options

The Pizza Thread

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    Agreed gambs, I am not a fan of deep dish because I like to fold my slice. It s just too thick for me. But there is nothing wrong with it per say. NYC folk are snotty about everything , just not pizza 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,975
    rgambs said:
    I can't find the original article that had links to the studies, damnit.
    This will have to do, I guess.

Never claimed NY water to be superior.  Hell when I lived in the queens and there was a fire we would have rust in the toilet from the FD using the hydrants.

rgambs said:
    https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/7242452

Oh, New York, always good for a laugh!
    So NYers all have good ingredients and the rest of the US doesn't?  That doesn't make any sense...

In all the places I've been to in the states I had found 2 places that made decent pizzas and Chicago isn't one of them.

I've never had a good bagel outside of the NY/NJ area.  Not sure why that is either...
    Only two good pizzas outside of NY and not a sigle bagel? Give me a damn break. Even I’m not that negative. 
    Jersey has good Pizza but I don't count that.

You don't realize how spoiled we are here.  If you live somewhere long enough,  your standards tend to lower so certain things will start to taste better over time.

I can't find abondigas in NY.  When I was in cali last year I had it whenever I could.  Mexican food here on the east coast is nothing like out west.  Why?  I have no idea but whenever i ask for abindigas the servers look at me like I have ten heads...  Maybe they aren't Mexican?
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rgambs said:

Never claimed NY water to be superior.  Hell when I lived in the queens and there was a fire we would have rust in the toilet from the FD using the hydrants.

rgambs said:

So NYers all have good ingredients and the rest of the US doesn't?  That doesn't make any sense...

In all the places I've been to in the states I had found 2 places that made decent pizzas and Chicago isn't one of them.

I've never had a good bagel outside of the NY/NJ area.  Not sure why that is either...
    Only two good pizzas outside of NY and not a sigle bagel? Give me a damn break. Even I’m not that negative. 

You don't realize how spoiled we are here.  If you live somewhere long enough,  your standards tend to lower so certain things will start to taste better over time.

I can't find abondigas in NY.  When I was in cali last year I had it whenever I could.  Mexican food here on the east coast is nothing like out west.  Why?  I have no idea but whenever i ask for abindigas the servers look at me like I have ten heads...  Maybe they aren't Mexican?
    Confirmation bias is all that is.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Tempo you don’t count Jersey?!?! You are now on the banned list through 2035.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

People aren't visiting Ohio or Nebraska for the pizza, lol.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    People aren’t visiting Ohio or Nebraska for much of anything. 
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

I don't think people visit NY for pizza either lol

Even still, just because it's not something we are famous for, that doesn't mean there isn't any good.

Barbecue was mentioned, I've been to some of the most famous BBQ joints in America, but the best I've had was at a small chain called City Barbecue in Columbus, Ohio.  And it blew some of the famous places away.

Another thing about barbecue is that even in regions dominated by a sauce style, you can still get other sauces, they don't accept only 1 single style.
    It's funny too, the KC style sauce I got in South Carolina was better than in KC, and the Carolina mustard sauce I tried in Memphis was better than in Carolina lol
  • Options
    People aren’t visiting Ohio or Nebraska for much of anything. 
    Hahaha very true!
  • Options
    All this talk of pizza got me hungry...
  • Options
    That looks legit delicious!
    Little more cheese on the top right though.

I didn't know square slices were allowed in NY?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    That looks legit delicious!
    Little more cheese on the top right though.

I didn't know square slices were allowed in NY?
    Sicilian is square and a must. 

The one on the right is an “upside down” slice so the cheese is under the sauce. 

The left top is a grandma slice and of course your traditional w some pepperoni. 

Gambs if u ever make it out this way I’ll treat you to a few slices. 
  • Options
  • Options
    What is the rationale for the upside-down slice?  The carmelization of the cheese is one of the best things about pizza, so I wonder what the trade-off is?
  • Options
    Deninos brick, nj.  Top 20 in the state.  

• Options
    edited May 2018
    rgambs said:
    What is the rationale for the upside-down slice?  The carmelization of the cheese is one of the best things about pizza, so I wonder what the trade-off is?
    This is how Chicago-style deep dish is traditionally done. Because the crust (and thus the overall pizza) is thicker, it needs to bake it longer which could burn the cheese & other toppings. It also helps keep the crust from getting too soggy. I would assume the same reasoning for a Sicilian, as Chicago deep dish is basically a variation of such.
  • Options
    All this talk of pizza got me hungry...
    Yes to all.  
  • Options
    My in laws watched our kids so we could go out to dinner ...I got there and they had this:

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Detroit style, Scruffy?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    rgambs said:
    Regarding New York Pizza the annoyances less about claims of quality and more about claiming to have the definitive say to which styles pizza aer acceptable.  
    Millions upon millions of people love Chicago deep dish style pizza, but they are all wrong because some New Yorkers say so?
    Nope, sorry, thats bullshit.
    Regarding Chicago pizza, the annoyance is less about claims of quality and more about claiming to have the definitive say as to which styles of pizza are acceptable.  

Millions upon millions of people love New York style pizza, but they are all wrong because some Chicagoans say so?

Nope, sorry, that’s bullshit.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Detroit style, Scruffy?
    I've only been to michigan once so I don't think I have ever tried it.  Is it any good?
    tonight my wife and I had fried calamari and a margheriti pie with tartufolo for dessert.  I got back to my in laws and they had a grandma pie.  And of course I just had to have a slice lol.  
  • Options
    dankind said:
    rgambs said:
    Regarding New York Pizza the annoyances less about claims of quality and more about claiming to have the definitive say to which styles pizza aer acceptable.  
    Millions upon millions of people love Chicago deep dish style pizza, but they are all wrong because some New Yorkers say so?
    Nope, sorry, thats bullshit.
    Regarding Chicago pizza, the annoyance is less about claims of quality and more about claiming to have the definitive say as to which styles of pizza are acceptable.  

Millions upon millions of people love New York style pizza, but they are all wrong because some Chicagoans say so?

Nope, sorry, that’s bullshit.
    Is that a thing?  Do Chicagoans do that?

Cuz that's an even bigger pile of bullshit.
    As much as I hate NY thinking it's the center of the universe, they certainly have a better claim to it than Chicago lol!
  • Options
    Things are heating up in the pizza thread lol.

I love the deep dish pizza for the record. If someone is going to tell me it isn't very good... I'll do something. Maybe I'll fart in their general direction or something.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Even still, just because it's not something we are famous for, that doesn't mean there isn't any good.

Barbecue was mentioned, I've been to some of the most famous BBQ joints in America, but the best I've had was at a small chain called City Barbecue in Columbus, Ohio.  And it blew some of the famous places away.

Another thing about barbecue is that even in regions dominated by a sauce style, you can still get other sauces, they don't accept only 1 single style.
    It's funny too, the KC style sauce I got in South Carolina was better than in KC, and the Carolina mustard sauce I tried in Memphis was better than in Carolina lol
    I know... pizza thread but if you're gonna get started on barbecue.... KC dry rub ribs falling off the bone. Hot dayumm!! At some Irish bar where you could bring your dogs on the Missouri River..On Missouri side of KS. Just amazing. I bought some country style ribs today and cooked them all day with onions n spices n sauce n crock pot bc it's storming here today. No grillin. I'm partial to Eastern NC style bbq with the vinegar based sauce and I add some honey smoked western NC red sauce and it's perfection.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

I know... pizza thread but if you're gonna get started on barbecue.... KC dry rub ribs falling off the bone. Hot dayumm!! At some Irish bar where you could bring your dogs on the Missouri River..On Missouri side of KS. Just amazing. I bought some country style ribs today and cooked them all day with onions n spices n sauce n crock pot bc it's storming here today. No grillin. I'm partial to Eastern NC style bbq with the vinegar based sauce and I add some honey smoked western NC red sauce and it's perfection.
    I'll take a good pork shoulder or rack of ribs over pizza most days, for sure. Electric smoker makes it a no brainer... easy, no mess in the house, delicious every time. Damn, now I'm gonna have to take a bird out of the freezer and smoke her up soon. I'll be out of birds before I can raise another batch lol
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

The dry ribs (smoked preferably) are awesome!

Some people (like NY people) like ribs smothered in ketchup. Not me!

"My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Get that bird Gambs!!  N Thirty, I was raised on dirty south bbq n ribs. However those dry rub ribs.... oh Lawdd help me, just totally different and brilliant.
  • Options
    And oh yeah Pizza Not BBQ thread!

See this Instagram photo by @h0tgirlseatingpizza

• Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,930
    Not necessarily a pizza thread pic,  but for any of you that are going to the Wrigley shows in August, go to La Scarola in Halsted and Grand. The food is second to none. Authentic gnocchi...

• Options
    Things are heating up in the pizza thread lol.

I love the deep dish pizza for the record. If someone is going to tell me it isn't very good... I'll do something. Maybe I'll fart in their general direction or something.
    Deep dish is really, really good.  I love cheese and sauce so it was fantastic.  I didn't care for the crust so I didn't eat that because it was literally like a pie which I found awkward.

I also don't consider deep dish a traditional pizza.  It's called deep dish for a reason, so it can separate itself from other pizza types.
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    Not necessarily a pizza thread pic,  but for any of you that are going to the Wrigley shows in August, go to La Scarola in Halsted and Grand. The food is second to none. Authentic gnocchi...

Too damn heavy...  Maybe a 1/4 of that portion!!!