The Pizza Thread

HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,415
Discuss the all-encompassing pie - PIZZA - here!

Share pics, discuss your favorite toppings, cheeses, sauces, styles, bakers, etc.  Calzones, strombolis, okonomiyaki, etc are welcome!

I'll start with an Annapolis, Maryland staple - the "spotted pig" from Vin 909.  Sopressata & wild boar meatballs w/provolone.

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,732
    Discuss the all-encompassing pie - PIZZA - here!

Share pics, discuss your favorite toppings, cheeses, sauces, styles, bakers, etc.  Calzones, strombolis, okonomiyaki, etc are welcome!

I'll start with an Annapolis, Maryland staple - the "spotted pig" from Vin 909.  Sopressata & wild boar meatballs w/provolone.

Suprassata on a pizza?  I love that idea!
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,790
    When I was a kid there was a restaurant called the Union House in Framingham, MA. It's been gone for years and I don't have a great picture but it was among the best pizza I've ever had. Square, thin, perfect amount of cheese and incredible sauce.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Oh for the love of Pete.  I'd never heard of okonomiyaki and looked it up.

Thanks for adding to the list of foods I must try.

(and thanks for making me crave kickass pizza in general now)

Hrrrmph to you!
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,119
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,551
    Ohhh yeah!

I am not a pizza snob....but my wife is.  I like trying different places....
    Round Cherry Hill NJ - favorite places?

For Brick Oven pizza?  It is in Haddon Township but Bruno's is the shit.
    Bonus is there is a liquor store right next door making for convenient BYO

For regular pizza?
    Cherry Hill's Vitarelli's is strong and a new place that opened recently, Mimi's fucking kills it.  Folks are from Italy and make great pies.

My wife is partial to Manco & Manco down the shore

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    We have a lot of "greek pizza" around here and it is usually fantastic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_pizza

Greek pizza refers to a style of pizza crust and its preparation, rather than its toppings.[1] This style is baked in a pan, instead of directly on the bricks of the pizza oven, (as is more traditional for Italian pizza).[1] The pan used is a shallow pan, in-contrast to the deep pans used in Chicago-style deep dish pizza. The pan is heavily oiled with olive oil.[2] It has a crust that is usually chewy and puffy, almost like focaccia bread but not as thick.[3] The crust is also rather oily, due to the heavily oiled pan used for the cooking process.[1][4] Due to the use of a larger tomato paste-to-crushed tomato ratio the sauce is typical tangy and thick with a strong taste of oregano.[5] The sauce amounts are greater, relative to the light amounts of cheese placed on the pizza. The cheese itself is typically, (but not always), a blend of mozzarella and cheddar.

This style of pizza may be referred to as "Greek pizza" even when it has non-Greek toppings, since it is typical of pizzerias owned by Greek immigrants. (These pizzas are similar to the pizzas served in Italian-style restaurants in Greece itself.) These establishments often also sell Greek specialties, such as Greek salads and gyros, and tend to brand themselves as "Pizza and Pasta" or as a "House of Pizza"; a code signifying that it is not an Italian restaurant, but a Greek restaurant serving Italian-style food. In the United States, the latter usage is common in New England cuisine.[1]

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,152
    Every town in Mass has a _____House of Pizza run by a Greek family.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier said:
    Every town in Mass has a _____House of Pizza run by a Greek family.
    I had no idea it was a New England thing or that "House of Pizza' was code for it until just now when I googled pictures of it. Learn something new everyday.

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,551
    I did not know that!  (About House of Pizza being a nod to Greek ownership)
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,347
    my favorite pizza in my old home town, worthington, ohio. I love the nearly burnt pepperoni. I have been known to eat there twice a day when I visit.

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    ^^ That looks really good.  Heavy pepperoni coverage is a plus.
    Is it cut into strips, though?
    Is it wrong that I love(d) the pizza from elementary school?  Square-shaped, little chunks of pepperoni, decent crust...from a kid's perspective, anyway.
    hedonist said:
    Is it wrong that I love(d) the pizza from elementary school?  Square-shaped, little chunks of pepperoni, decent crust...from a kid's perspective, anyway.
    If that is wrong I don't wanna be right! Friday was pizza day and pizza day was double-lunch day for me more often than not in high school. Gooey...cheesy...yummy.

Wobbie said:
    my favorite pizza in my old home town, worthington, ohio. I love the nearly burnt pepperoni. I have been known to eat there twice a day when I visit.

Yuuuuuuuummmmm...

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,722
    Vic s pizzeria, Bradley beach, nj. Thin crust pizza with corn meal on the bottom. One of the best!
    My wife and I ate there last night before u2. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,415
    edited June 2017
    Wobbie said:

Where is that, Rob?  Next time I'm in Columbus I'm gonna have to head up the Olentangy and try it out.
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,732

Lia's Pizza in Oceanside Long Island.  This here is called a Grandma pie.  Once you try this regular pizza is just an afterthought.

Enjoy.
    Ohhh yeah!

I am not a pizza snob....but my wife is.  I like trying different places....
    Round Cherry Hill NJ - favorite places?

For Brick Oven pizza?  It is in Haddon Township but Bruno's is the shit.
    Bonus is there is a liquor store right next door making for convenient BYO

For regular pizza?
    Cherry Hill's Vitarelli's is strong and a new place that opened recently, Mimi's fucking kills it.  Folks are from Italy and make great pies.

My wife is partial to Manco & Manco down the shore

That tomato pie looks awesome. Where down the shore?

Lia's Pizza in Oceanside Long Island.  This here is called a Grandma pie.  Once you try this regular pizza is just an afterthought.

Enjoy.
    That is the stuff dreams are made of.
    Ocean City....

Enjoy.
    Fuuuuck, that looks great.

Enjoy.
    Wow, Grandma knew what she was doing.

Papa s pizza   Robbinsville nj. Rated #18 in the country. The best pie I ve ever had. 
    This is officially the best thread on these boards.

Enjoy.
    That looks great!!!
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,648
    Ocean City....
    Mack and Manco's Haven't had one of their pizza's in awhile.  :smiley:

also Lorenzo's Pizza is pretty nice.  Huge slices and a good price.  They opened up one in near me in West Chester a few years ago.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    That's it. I'm getting pizza at wing night tonight!

I honestly don't know if I could name the best pizza I've ever had.  One thing that cracks me up though, looking at some reviews for some pizza shops online today, is when people post pictures and are all "WTF is this shit? This looks like a 2nd grader made it" all because the pie isn't a perfect circle.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,576
    Philly pizza sucks donkey balls
    JimmyV said:
    This is officially the best thread on these boards.
    This and the dog/kitty ones =)

This could also be the inspiration for my making last-minute delivery orders while buzzed.
    mcgruff10 said:
    Papa s pizza   Robbinsville nj. Rated #18 in the country. The best pie I ve ever had. 
    That one looks really good as well.