Live Nation secretly flies Eddie Vedder to Cannes Lions

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Zod said:
    I tend to think it's part of getting older.   One of the podcasts I listen too was talking about.  

The older you get the less fucks you give.   When your young, your idealistic, and care about alot of things.  As you get older you have less time, life throws you curveballs, you lose that idealism, and you focus what little time you have on the things matter the most to you.   Usually it's your family, friends etc.....   When you're older and time is getting shorter,  you have less fucks left to give, and focus them on the things that matter most.

I thought it was a really good argument (allthough I may not have articulated it well).   Getting older changes your mindset.  The things that mattered to you in your 20s don't seem as important in your 40's, 50s, 60's etc..
    I've got to disagree here, since I and some others I know give more fucks the older we get. I agree that what you're saying to some people, but the exact opposite happens to others. I think it just depend on the individual. Age itself isn't an actual determining factor. One's conscious choices are.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    my2hands said:
    Let me clarify a little bit here... I was simply pointing out this as a small example of why people distrust and mock the "Hollywood liberals" and don't trust them... its hard for John Q Public to take climate change seriously while the most visual people speaking out fly in private jets... doesn't mean climate change is bullshit, doesn't mean Ed's message is bullshut, but it does mean SOME people will scoff and think that it is bullshit.... but we are all adults and already know all of this 

we all know Ed is a good guy and has donated plenty of time, cash, and effort to causes he supports... i love the stuff these guys do and I love that my favorite band was able to survive and live the dream... so im definitely no hater...

and to be very honest, I don't give a shit if Ed takes a private jet around the world just to shoot a polar bear, the human race is doomed either way, lets really keep it real lol

I also don't care that he hangs out with rich people... and I also don't care that he is cozy with Livenation...

frankly I just want to see a few concerts a year 

https://youtu.be/p95V2yM_T4Y

if you get your climate change news (or any other news for that matter) from celebrities you have bigger problems than worrying about Ed flying on a private jet.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    pjhawks said:
    my2hands said:
    Let me clarify a little bit here... I was simply pointing out this as a small example of why people distrust and mock the "Hollywood liberals" and don't trust them... its hard for John Q Public to take climate change seriously while the most visual people speaking out fly in private jets... doesn't mean climate change is bullshit, doesn't mean Ed's message is bullshut, but it does mean SOME people will scoff and think that it is bullshit.... but we are all adults and already know all of this 

we all know Ed is a good guy and has donated plenty of time, cash, and effort to causes he supports... i love the stuff these guys do and I love that my favorite band was able to survive and live the dream... so im definitely no hater...

and to be very honest, I don't give a shit if Ed takes a private jet around the world just to shoot a polar bear, the human race is doomed either way, lets really keep it real lol

I also don't care that he hangs out with rich people... and I also don't care that he is cozy with Livenation...

if you get your climate change news (or any other news for that matter) from celebrities you have bigger problems than worrying about Ed flying on a private jet.
    Agreed
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,374
    From Springsteen's new autobiography... "You have to make thoughtful compromises that don't sell out your soul, that let you reach just a little bit higher until your moment comes and then YOU make the rules."
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    Goddamn I'm glad every move I make over my life isn't scrutinized. EV was flown to a private part to play for friends. Big fucking deal. He still to this day seems as genuine, kind and caring about people and issues as ever. 
  • RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,009
    Goddamn I'm glad every move I make over my life isn't scrutinized. EV was flown to a private part to play for friends. Big fucking deal. He still to this day seems as genuine, kind and caring about people and issues as ever. 
    Agree completely
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    Speaking of soon forget, Ed and the band was never fully anti-corporate. Unless you think signing with mega-corporation like Sony is sticking it to the man. Fans have projected things on to the band that weren't there, and now their memory is tricking them. 
    my2hands said:

People who resist change around evironmental issues will often try to point out that whoever is trying to create change is a hypocrite as a tactic to reject the message and try to invalidate what they're saying. The thing is, even local vegan hippie Harmony Moonchild who lives in the woods has to eat and take a shit. 
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,838
    edited June 2017

Agreed. Anyone who pays $25,000 of their own cash to keep playing past curfew gets my vote. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,622
    Came into this thread looking for a setlist. Left dissapoined.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810

Agreed. Anyone who pays $25,000 of their own cash to keep playing past curfew gets my vote. 
    This is a great point.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited June 2017

It's just that he and the band have made such a big deal about being carbon neutral. I don't really care about this whole issue, FTR, but still, if someone is going to be all public about being carbon neutral and then do stuff that is opposite, then it makes sense for people to call it out. If Eddie doesn't want to be scrutinized like that, all he has to do is stop presenting it as an issue he is a champion for. Easy. I don't think that is a very unreasonable expectation. Hell, even the members here on this board usually hold each other to that basic standard of doing what you preach. I mean, if someone here rallied against flipping all the time, and then went and bought 3 posters and put them all on eBay for $200 the day after the show there would be a witch hunt, right? If you're gling to flip, don't present yourself as an anti-flipper. And if you're going to preach about carbon neutrality, then be carbon neutral (I always did think that was an unrealistic cause for the band TBH... paying money to supposedly offset the pollution you created makes no sense to me).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,440
    PJ_Soul said:

It's just that he and the band have made such a big deal about being carbon neutral. I don't really care about this whole issue, FTR, but still, if someone is going to be all public about being carbon neutral and then do stuff that is opposite, then it makes sense for people to call it out. If Eddie doesn't want to be scrutinized like that, all he has to do is stop presenting it as an issue he is a champion for. Easy. I don't think that is a very unreasonable expectation. Hell, even the members here on this board usually hold each other to that basic standard of doing what you preach. I mean, if someone here rallied against flipping all the time, and then went and bought 3 posters and put them all on eBay for $200 the day after the show there would be a witch hunt, right? If you're gling to flip, don't present yourself as an anti-flipper. And if you're going to preach about carbon neutrality, then be carbon neutral (I always did think that was an unrealistic cause for the band TBH... paying money to supposedly offset the pollution you created makes no sense to me).
    Perfectly stated.
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    PJ_Soul said:

Very much agree with this.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    How many here have championed for recycling, then admitted to being wasteful in ways?

Earnestly claiming to be tolerant, yet...intolerant of some?

.....and on.....

I really don't know, wish I did, get that I never will.  People are beautiful and fucked up and yes, hypocritical.  Also, self-righteous.

Going by instinct, at this point in my life.  And my gut tells me Ed - like me, maybe some others here? - are riding that wave, trying to keep balance and stay on the board.  And trying to be a decent human being along the way.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    edited June 2017

"ok this is the last song. Sorry.  Our flight boards in 45 minutes and it's a lot of pedaling to get to LAX from here.  It's Southwest too and Stone has Boarding group C.  He's rushing us". 

Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    PJ_Soul said:

and they make every effort to be carbon neutral
    Smellyman said:
    PJ_Soul said:

and they make every effort to be carbon neutral
    Very much agree with this. 
    edited June 2017

Let's be honest... carbon offset is bullshit.... if the carbon doesnt go into the atmosphere in the first place, it doesnt have to he offset...and it smacks of elitism... the rich guy can fly around in private jets because he uses donations from ticket sales to buy rain forest in Peru?  lol
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,404
    edited June 2017
    Who da fuq cares?  lol. 

Pearl Jam is a large "corporation" by the way. So if he doesn't fly by private jet, is he supposed to walk, bike, swim there?  Then while he is doing that, people will bitch that he's not touring or there isn't a new album.  Get over it already.
    Post edited by JV130312 on
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Owning a private jet is on my bucket list. It's towards the bottom of the list mind you due to the unlikelihood of it happening.  But you can bet that if I had one I would fly all over the world. 
    If 10c had a contest for 2tix on a private jet to go to the said concert how many here would not enter because of their environment stance?
    Good for EV 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Chill people. 

This is the band who can't stop talking about vinyl, but don't care having their catalogue available on the format.

They're just human.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    edited June 2017
    I know its commonplace in this day and age, but its always funny how people rush to judge without despite not know that all we know is all the information. We don't know what the terms of his deal with Live Nation was in order to do this. People assume hes a hypocrite, but no one outside of a band employee knows for sure. So its just lame speculation. 

And I'm sure carbon offsets seem like an empty gesture, but at least its trying something (and certainly better than saying fuck it like lots of bands, or the average person everyday). These dudes try to find a balance between what they believe and doing what they have to/ enjoy doing, which is having to travel to play shows. 

people need to chill with the outrage.

Post edited by Tim Simmons on
    edited June 2017
    I'm calmer than you are, Dude :)

PJFan, I'm calling shotgun on your private jet! 
    edited June 2017
    It's funny how any honest commentary or conversation on here is labeled as outrage... I'm perfectly fine lol

Now let's get back to having fun and handing out tambo's
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    That picture never gets old
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    Ain't that the truth?!
    Cracks me up every time!
    There's nothin' better than humor.
  • erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    shecky said:
    Embarrassing. lol.. I don't get the people that want to be acknowledged by Eddie. Sadly, it's become a thing. Listening to a lot of the recent bootlegs and the people that yell "Eddie" while he's talking or freaking out over a rarity cracks me the fuck up. lolz.. The Charlottesville show has a girl that sounds like she's having a freaking heart attack during the 1st Encore Break. Comical. This kind of thing has kept me away in recent years. Well, this and the increase in Merch>Music.

As far as the topic is concerned: So what? Dave Grohl did it last year. A majority of mega popular superstar bands have played private shows. It's nothing new. I think Ed himself said it best at the Paramount show from 1994 when someone screamed "I love you!" To paraphrase: "You don't love me. You don't even know me. You love the image of me you've created in your mind." 

Any "star" or public persona is a real person that makes the same mistakes or does what any of us do. For me, it's all about the music. He wants to go play a show for his friends, big deal. The internet seeks out any crumb of information and calls it news. It never rests and people are always searching and always judging. 

Ed came to terms with his position during the Vote For Change Tour. The Rolling Stone article from 2006 told me this.
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/pearl-jam-the-second-coming-20060629

I just hope that some inspiration is had to create a memorable album that stays in my player(s) again. I've been leaning on Bootlegs or mixes for a while now. 
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,465
    Speaking of soon forget, Ed and the band was never fully anti-corporate. Unless you think signing with mega-corporation like Sony is sticking it to the man. Fans have projected things on to the band that weren't there, and now their memory is tricking them. 
    Yep, I certainly made up hearing Ed call another band's lead singer a "corporate cocksucker." I also dreamed up the concert where the band refused to play the show until the Dodge banner got removed from the front of the venue. This was also the show were Eddie said that they would sell the rights to Better Man to Dodge so that they could sing "Can't find a better van." And then there was another show where Eddie went on a rant about Jewel selling out and they would sell the rights to Alive to Viagra. "I'm still alive." Total figments of my imagination.

Obviously, Eddie has changed since then. He's more willing to play the game. If he can justify it by trying to make more money for causes he supports, then more power to him. People change. But please don't pretend that the band was never anti-corporate. And don't expect people to not be upset about the change.
This discussion has been closed.