Options

Live Nation secretly flies Eddie Vedder to Cannes Lions

Comments

• Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don't know why you posted a hummus ad after your comment my2hands, lol. But anyway, I do agree with what you said. There is definitely some extremely obvious hypocrisy going on there, and I don't think it does any good to ignore that, for the sake of the cause. Of course, everyone is a hypocrite one way or the other, and most are huge hypocrites in many ways ... it sure is more obvious when you act against comments you make in the public eye though! If you're going to go public like that, you have to be a lot more careful with your actions if you want people to believe you're sincere.
    Spot on. 
  • Options
    sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,441
    my2hands said:
    Ed in April 2017 - Climate change is real and it's caused by humans

Ed in June 2017 - Takes a Private Jet to perform for a small group of wealthy people. This after flying back and forth from Europe to NYC for a 30 minute performance

This is exactly why "hollywood liberals" are not taken seriously and get mocked
    I was thinking the same thing.
    Maybe Ed should've hitched a ride with DiCaprio or Obama. 
  • Options
    So does that mean that my stance on climate change and the environment is null and void since I could walk up the street to the grocery store but instead drive my gas powered car?  Does that one aspect cancel out my recycling and water conservation and not using chemicals on my lawn and planting native plants and going solar where I can, etc.? Because that's the absurd mentality that critics take against celebrities.If they're not 100% environmentally conscious then they're hypocrites. Ridiculous. Musicians and actors travel. A lot.  There is no other practical means of travel. Their flying doesn't bother me if they're doing other things to combat climate change.  It doesn't make them any less sincere to me. No one living in the modern world is 100% environmentally conscious.  No one.

Kansas City, Kansas (December 04, 1991)
  • Options
    sheckyshecky San Francisco Posts: 1,441
    edited June 2017
    I think the issue is not that celebrities fly to gigs and parties. It's that they choose to fly by themselves in private jets that spew out more air pollution in one round-trip then could likely be offset over a life-time of recycling plastic bottles and conserving water on their lawn.
    Commercial flights are available to anywhere on the planet, multiple times per day. It is more efficient, hence less polluting overall, when many people share the flight. A 747, for example, holds over 300 passengers. 
    And, commercial flights do offer a "first-class" compartment so celebs don't have to rub elbows with the common folk.
    Post edited by shecky on
  • Options
    kaseylilykaseylily Michigan, USA Posts: 259
    Maybe he just supports what the Cannes Lions festival is highlighting more than he hates/hated ticketmaster and didn't really mind them (Live Nation) footing the bill for flying him out there?  Ed's met a lot of people and many times I think it's as simple as a friend asks him to help support a cause and if he can (and thinks it's a worthy cause) he does.  Nothing disturbing or "sell out" about it.  Just a basically good dude, helping when he can and where he can. Personally, I don't see such a stark difference in him.  Since Chris Cornell's passing, I've revisited a lot of the old music and artists that I connected with in my younger years and, while I never lost my love of Pearl Jam and Eddie in particular, I wasn't as staunch a follower as I once was, and I did catch up on some things I missed along the way.  I've reread and rewatched countless interviews and live shows starting with their first shows up until Ed's recent shows for this current tour in the past few weeks and listened to him address various issues, tell stories, get political, chastise unruly/amped up audience members, etc. right down the timeline. I've binge watched nearly every available video on the net. He seems to be the same guy he always was at heart.  People don't get frozen in time and never change. He'd have burned himself out long ago if he'd remained the same and never grown, as intense as he could be back then. I find him to be one of the most genuine kind human beings out there.  I'm just thankful that he's still around. 
    I agree with you. Where's that like button?!
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    my2hands said:

Ed in June 2017 - Takes a Private Jet to perform for a small group of wealthy people. This after flying back and forth from Europe to NYC for a 30 minute performance

LINK

• Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,432
    I don't know how people can judge the situation without having all of the facts.
  • Options
    Smellyman said:
    my2hands said:

LINK

^^^

That right there is a stellar response.

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,159
    I tend to think it's part of getting older.   One of the podcasts I listen too was talking about.  

The older you get the less fucks you give.   When your young, your idealistic, and care about alot of things.  As you get older you have less time, life throws you curveballs, you lose that idealism, and you focus what little time you have on the things matter the most to you.   Usually it's your family, friends etc.....   When you're older and time is getting shorter,  you have less fucks left to give, and focus them on the things that matter most.

I thought it was a really good argument (allthough I may not have articulated it well).   Getting older changes your mindset.  The things that mattered to you in your 20s don't seem as important in your 40's, 50s, 60's etc..
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    Zod said:
    I tend to think it's part of getting older.   One of the podcasts I listen too was talking about.  

The older you get the less fucks you give.   When your young, your idealistic, and care about alot of things.  As you get older you have less time, life throws you curveballs, you lose that idealism, and you focus what little time you have on the things matter the most to you.   Usually it's your family, friends etc.....   When you're older and time is getting shorter,  you have less fucks left to give, and focus them on the things that matter most.

I thought it was a really good argument (allthough I may not have articulated it well).   Getting older changes your mindset.  The things that mattered to you in your 20s don't seem as important in your 40's, 50s, 60's etc..

Right on.   Sometimes you get too busy to care about certain things.  Happened to me with watching and caring about basketball and baseball.   I think you hit the nail on the head though in that they don't care enough.  That sounds better to me than trying to justify with excuses which sounds more like hypocrisy (e.g., well, I always said it was about making music and not about the money, but now that you don't pay me for the CD's I'm going to jack up ticket prices or merchandise cost - hence about the money).

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    Zod said:

I am the complete opposite.  Glad I still give a fuck
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited June 2017
    Zod said:
    riley540 said:
    Is ed too cool for the rest of the band now, or something :/

I'm just as confused about this. 

How in the world does anyone print that Eddie Vedder was the lead singer of Pearl Jam?
    Have you never noticed there's a dichotomy in the world.  There's those of us that are die hard pearl jam fans and know everything that's going on.   Then there's the rest of the world, where when you tell them your going to a PJ concert, and their response is "they're still together?".

lol.  were in a pearl jam bubble posting on the message board and groups on facebook.   The rest of the world isn't in that bubble :(   I'm happy they aren't.  It's already hard enough to get tickets.

I am starting to realize the bubble that exists called 10c.  At first I thought it just existed to some in AMT now I see that we are all together in this as PJ fans.  This bubble that we all share is pretty sweet and there is nothing like it out there. Fuck I love Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    Zod said:
    riley540 said:
    Is ed too cool for the rest of the band now, or something :/

I'm just as confused about this. 

How in the world does anyone print that Eddie Vedder was the lead singer of Pearl Jam?
    Have you never noticed there's a dichotomy in the world.  There's those of us that are die hard pearl jam fans and know everything that's going on.   Then there's the rest of the world, where when you tell them your going to a PJ concert, and their response is "they're still together?".

lol.  were in a pearl jam bubble posting on the message board and groups on facebook.   The rest of the world isn't in that bubble :(   I'm happy they aren't.  It's already hard enough to get tickets.

I am starting to realize the bubble that exists called 10c.  At first I thought it just existed to some in AMT now I see that we are all together in this as PJ fans.  This bubble that we all share is pretty sweet and there is nothing like it out there. Fuck I love Pearl Jam.
    Amen! 
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,278
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    I don't know how people can judge the situation without having all of the facts.
    That's basically what we do here for stories like this though isn't it? Fire off opinions and judgements without waiting for the facts.

We need a tour or a new record or some-fuckin-thing to stop us all from going stir crazy!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    I've seen Eyes Wide Shut. I know what happens at these elite parties...
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,544
    I'm going to guess that the same people who get upset about Ed doing the private show for wealthy people, and getting there on a private jet, and are upset that PJ "sold out" to ticketmater, are the same people who think there should still be mosh pits at PJ shows.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,159
    edited June 2017
    Smellyman said:
    Zod said:

I am the complete opposite.  Glad I still give a fuck

About what though?   My argument was not that people don't give a fuck, it's that what they give a fuck about changes and becomes the things closest to them.  Not a war with ticketmaster they lost over 20 years ago.

If it's Ticketmaster/Live Nation were talking about.  If any of us really gave a fuck, we'd boycott them.  Any time one of us buys a ticket and pays the service charge, that's us not giving a fuck.

And buy giving a fuck I think i mean something you care enough about you actually do something about.   Just like i loathe the ticket industry, brokers, promoters and ticketmaster, it's not enough for me to actually do anything about it, or keep my money in my wallet.   I'm sure it's the same for PJ.  They might not like how ticketing and ticketmaster turned out, but they lost that fight and moved on.   So little time, other more important things to care about.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,476
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    This should be the urban dictionary definition of social media.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,006
    riley540 said:
    I've seen Eyes Wide Shut. I know what happens at these elite parties...

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    kaseylily said:
    Maybe he just supports what the Cannes Lions festival is highlighting more than he hates/hated ticketmaster and didn't really mind them (Live Nation) footing the bill for flying him out there?  Ed's met a lot of people and many times I think it's as simple as a friend asks him to help support a cause and if he can (and thinks it's a worthy cause) he does.  Nothing disturbing or "sell out" about it.  Just a basically good dude, helping when he can and where he can. Personally, I don't see such a stark difference in him.  Since Chris Cornell's passing, I've revisited a lot of the old music and artists that I connected with in my younger years and, while I never lost my love of Pearl Jam and Eddie in particular, I wasn't as staunch a follower as I once was, and I did catch up on some things I missed along the way.  I've reread and rewatched countless interviews and live shows starting with their first shows up until Ed's recent shows for this current tour in the past few weeks and listened to him address various issues, tell stories, get political, chastise unruly/amped up audience members, etc. right down the timeline. I've binge watched nearly every available video on the net. He seems to be the same guy he always was at heart.  People don't get frozen in time and never change. He'd have burned himself out long ago if he'd remained the same and never grown, as intense as he could be back then. I find him to be one of the most genuine kind human beings out there.  I'm just thankful that he's still around. 
    I agree with you. Where's that like button?!

"...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Funny people talking about why fly on private get and the climete and the same time they ask to.tour more and close to their homes
    How they come there from seattle??by walking??
    U want more merch??how they will ship to u??on foot??in the back of a donkey??..
    For.me its easy to blame others when they do something..but if was  for your own benefit u would done the same...
    Post edited by dimitrispearljam on
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,919
    People complain with buying tickets from Livenation & Ticketmaster
    People complain trying to buy tickets though 10C website

Somtimes I think people would prefer Pearl Jam/EV perform without an audince
    lol.  Can't please everyone.  What I also find humorous is the amount of vitriol that gets spewed about PJ/Eddie regarding ticketmaster.  I mean, they tried at least.  Which is more than you can say for a lot of the artists back when they waged the war in the first place.  If more had stood with them, then maybe the outcome would have been different.  Instead, the ones that actually tried to stand up against ticketmaster get vilified for "selling out" when they lost an unwinnable fight standing virtually alone. 
    Agreed. In many ways they would be better off having never fought that fight. The 95-97 touring years would have been more robust, they wouldn't be judged today by this standard from the past, and TicketMaster would still be here regardless. As is it's become further proof that no good deed goes unpunished.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    jbalicki10jbalicki10 Posts: 517
    The more you fight the machine, the more you become a machine.

• Options
    JimmyV said:
    People complain with buying tickets from Livenation & Ticketmaster
    People complain trying to buy tickets though 10C website

Somtimes I think people would prefer Pearl Jam/EV perform without an audince
    lol.  Can't please everyone.  What I also find humorous is the amount of vitriol that gets spewed about PJ/Eddie regarding ticketmaster.  I mean, they tried at least.  Which is more than you can say for a lot of the artists back when they waged the war in the first place.  If more had stood with them, then maybe the outcome would have been different.  Instead, the ones that actually tried to stand up against ticketmaster get vilified for "selling out" when they lost an unwinnable fight standing virtually alone. 
    Agreed. In many ways they would be better off having never fought that fight. The 95-97 touring years would have been more robust, they wouldn't be judged today by this standard from the past, and TicketMaster would still be here regardless. As is it's become further proof that no good deed goes unpunished.

I agree with all the above
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,196
    Why do people have to try and knock down people who tend to do a lot of really good things for people?  Almost everyone can acknowledge how amazingly charitable Ed is yet then people like to nit pick at every little instance when he might not live up to their unrealistic ideals.  Sometimes it would be so much easier if a guy like Ed was just an ahole all the time...like Axel Rose or someone like that.  at least then no one would sit around and wait for a moment to say 'ah' got you. 
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited June 2017
    Let me clarify a little bit here... I was simply pointing out this as a small example of why people distrust and mock the "Hollywood liberals" and don't trust them... its hard for John Q Public to take climate change seriously while the most visual people speaking out fly in private jets... doesn't mean climate change is bullshit, doesn't mean Ed's message is bullshut, but it does mean SOME people will scoff and think that it is bullshit.... but we are all adults and already know all of this 

we all know Ed is a good guy and has donated plenty of time, cash, and effort to causes he supports... i love the stuff these guys do and I love that my favorite band was able to survive and live the dream... so im definitely no hater...

and to be very honest, I don't give a shit if Ed takes a private jet around the world just to shoot a polar bear, the human race is doomed either way, lets really keep it real lol

I also don't care that he hangs out with rich people... and I also don't care that he is cozy with Livenation...

frankly I just want to see a few concerts a year 

https://youtu.be/p95V2yM_T4Y

Post edited by my2hands on
  • Options
    EddieshometownEddieshometown Evanston, IL Posts: 974
    Did he play Fortunate Son  =)
    6/26/98 & 6/27/98 - Alpine Valley, 10/9/00 - Allstate Arena - Rosemont, IL 6/18/2003 - United Center, 5/16/2006 - United Center,
    5/17/2006 - United Center (7th row center, caught Eddie's pick), 6/29/2006 - Summerfest with Tom Petty,
    8/24/2009 - United Center, 7/19/2013 - Wrigley Field, 10/3/2014 - St Louis, 10/17/2014 - Moline (GA), 10/20/2014 - Milwaukee,
    5/14/2015 - Pete Townshend/EV, 8/20/16 & 8/22/16 Wrigley Field Part 2&3, 8/18/18 & 8/20/18 Wrigley Parts 4 & 5, 9/18/2022 - St Louis
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    I'm kind of proud to be a sellout :lol:   The guy on the synergy board in 1997 might have some issues with this older version of me but im enjoying life.  

How about we just admire the setlist he played. I really don't care about how he traveled or what he made.  Good job, Eddie!  Keep doing whatever you want.  
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    shecky said:
    I think the issue is not that celebrities fly to gigs and parties. It's that they choose to fly by themselves in private jets that spew out more air pollution in one round-trip then could likely be offset over a life-time of recycling plastic bottles and conserving water on their lawn.
    Commercial flights are available to anywhere on the planet, multiple times per day. It is more efficient, hence less polluting overall, when many people share the flight. A 747, for example, holds over 300 passengers. 
    And, commercial flights do offer a "first-class" compartment so celebs don't have to rub elbows with the common folk.
    Right.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
This discussion has been closed.