If you could go back in time to see ONE PJ show that you didn't see live, which show and why?

Comments

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    ^ Lou's is arguably the best pizza on the planet.  You should be banned from all pizza eating after those comments!  ;)
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    bbiggs said:
    ^ Lou's is arguably the best pizza on the planet.  You should be banned from all pizza eating after those comments!  ;)
    Sorry to offend your pizza sensibilities.  We can agree to disagree -- I do not consider this pizza.  It is a food stuffing that could otherwise serve as a boat anchor.

Anchor:

This is pizza:

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    bbiggs said:
    Sorry to offend your pizza sensibilities.  We can agree to disagree -- I do not consider this pizza.  It is a food stuffing that could otherwise serve as a boat anchor.

Anchor:

This is pizza:

I would tear through both of these with reckless abandon...but thin crust is always going to win the day. Always. Sorry Chicago.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    JimmyV said:
    bbiggs said:

Anchor:

This is pizza:

I would tear through both of these with reckless abandon...but thin crust is always going to win the day. Always. Sorry Chicago.
    Clearly your stomach is made of sterner stuff than mine. 
    (My toilet likes Lou's)
    ^ LOL. Boat anchor...that's awesome.  Growing up in Chicago adds a slight bias to the discussion.  I dig both.  Nothing wrong with a good thin crust.  Put either one in front of me and they don't stand a chance! 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    Zod said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Zod said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    The Commodore Ballroom, Vancouver, 2000. The show isn't known as a particularly stellar performance or setlist. It's just that this is my favorite music venue in the whole wide world (so far), so I'm really really really sorry that I didn't get to see my favorite band play there (there weren't any ticket sales for it - I think it was 100% by radio giveaway or something like that). Plus, the capacity is about 1,200 or so, all GA.
    It was pretty a cool show.  The one time I got to see the band in a small venue.    For us plebs the only way to get in was winning tickets from cfox.    I was in first year of college and studying for finals, so I had the radio on all the time.  Kept trying and trying.  Finally got through.. person ahead of me blew a trivia question, and I was next in line, and didn't F it up :) 

There were a number of celebs there too, so I guess that was the other way in.  I met Bret Hart because he was there on my path to the washroom.. lol.  I think capacity is about 1000.  It's also got that wicked bouncing floor (Some kind of surface that has a layer tennis balls below it).  I was listening to the Vancouver 2013 bootleg today, and Eddie mention that's some commodore ballroom shit right there...  

Oh yeah, you're right - official capacity is 995. And yes, it's got the best floor in the city. I just discovered, btw, that you can reserve tables at the Commodore! So if you're not interested in rocking out on the floor (obviously you would be for a PJ show, lol), you can book a table, and hopefully one of those sweet cherry pie tables at the edge of the balcony. Best view in the house, with table service. :) I always thought you absolutely had to line up to ensure you got a decent table, but not so. You do have to pay a "deposit" though. I didn't ask if you got the "deposit" back, so maybe you just pay to reserve. I'll find out next time there is a Commodore show I want to go to!
    There was a long gap between commodore shows for me.  I remember seeing a few shows after PJ in the early 00's.  Everclear, Stabbing Westward, and umm a Jerry Cantrell solo show come to mind.   I remember there being tables kind of on the sides of the floor area and if we got there at doors it was easy to grab one.    I don't really remember the tables on the balcony.  I do remember them there the last time I was the commodore about two years ago (to see skinny puppy).    I wonder if it was a new thing.  Maybe that's why the capacity is a bit less than it used to be.

Overall the venue is so small it's not hard getting a good spot to watch the band.   It is nice having a table though.. can shoot the shit and have beers while waiting for it to start :)
    No, the balcony tables have always been there. There is also a long kind of bar table that faces the stage up there, and it's higher, so that is also a fantastic spot to grab if you can. I find all of the tables at the side have a horrible sight line actually. Those columns and/or the crowd are in the way of pretty much all of them. The balcony is where it's at if you don't want to be down in the pit.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    bbiggs said:

Anchor:

This is pizza:

is that a Lorenzo's pizza?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • pawlowski1097pawlowski1097 Philadelphia, PA Posts: 571
    Pa state college 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    bbiggs said:

Anchor:

This is pizza:

Good lord, man!  I've seen deli meat sliced thicker than that bottom pic!  While I admit that even bad pizza is good pizza, that bottom slice would go out in the first round of one of MedozK's weakest link polls.  That's high school lunch level right there.

Now this is good thin crust:

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    bbiggs said:

Anchor:

This is pizza:

Good lord, man!  I've seen deli meat sliced thicker than that bottom pic!  While I admit that even bad pizza is good pizza, that bottom slice would go out in the first round of one of MedozK's weakest link polls.  That's high school lunch level right there.

Now this is good thin crust:

What kind of slice is that?  Waaay to busy for me. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    Papa s pizza in robbinsville nj is the best pie I ve ever had   
    That's a grape pie from Pies & Pints in Fayetteville, WV.  It's actually not busy at all. Gorgonzola & red grapes, garnished with fresh rosemary.
    mcgruff10 said:
    I've heard of them! That definitely is a good lookin' pie!
    ^ Good looking za for sure. We have some pretty damn good thin crust in and around Chicago as well. 

You know things are quiet on the PJ front when we're talking about pizza! 
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    mcgruff10 said:
    That does indeed look good!
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,381
    mcgruff10 said:
    Going to have to check that place out!

I'll always be partial to Pete and Elda's for true thin crust pizza.  Luigi's pizza with its square pie was also top notch until they sold it. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

Luigi's.  Like that.
    No, Dave, that was not Lorenzo's but I like Lorenzo's.  That was a generic pic of thin crust.
    Pepperoni or basil/mozzarella is what I prefer to sit atop my Za.  
    My favorite locally is Vitarellis.
    Dyer, I do prefer the thin crust.  Want to taste the gravy and the cheese.  

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    i like how the the topic turned into a pizza thread :lol:

For me probably the first time they played philly in '91.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449
    Would have been nice to be at a show where Hunger Strike was performed with Chris. 
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
    on2legs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Going to have to check that place out!

I'll always be partial to Pete and Elda's for true thin crust pizza.  Luigi's pizza with its square pie was also top notch until they sold it. 
    I grew up about a half mile from
    pete and elda s and I agree it s great but you have to try Vic s in Bradley beach. Excellent thin crust. 
    That's a grape pie from Pies & Pints in Fayetteville, WV.  It's actually not busy at all. Gorgonzola & red grapes, garnished with fresh rosemary.
    Dyer, West Virginia and good pizza is an oxy moron lol.  Red grapes on a pizza?! Come on bro. That topping is illegal in the pizza belt. ;)
    mcgruff10 said:
    Dyer, West Virginia and good pizza is an oxy moron lol.  Red grapes on a pizza?! Come on bro. That topping is illegal in the pizza belt. ;)
    You'd be surprised, my friend!

Luigi's.  Like that.
    No, Dave, that was not Lorenzo's but I like Lorenzo's.  That was a generic pic of thin crust.

On the whole, I prefer a regular or thin crust over a deep dish. But oh man, do I love me a Malnati's deep dish!  Different animals for sure - but my two favorite animals are terriers and rhinos, ha!
  • ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 653
    the only PJ show I've turned down was Indy in 2010. Not the greatest show ever, but still wish I had gone and kick myself for not going. I also turned down a ticket to ToTD in NYC last year. After 11 PJ shows last year though, I just couldn't afford it, but really wanted to go. Now with Chris gone, I really should've just bit the bullet.

but as far as any show, either Atlanta 94, State College 03 or "The Experiment" in 03
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723

Luigi's.  Like that.

On the whole, I prefer a regular or thin crust over a deep dish. But oh man, do I love me a Malnati's deep dish!  Different animals for sure - but my two favorite animals are terriers and rhinos, ha!

Exactly!  I probably eat thin crust 95% of the time I have pizza.  Deep dish is a treat that I probably only have a few times per year....and like you said, nothing beats a Lou's deep dish!  Funny that everyone seems to think people in Chicago just stuff their faces with deep dish pizza and sausages....those damn SNL superfan skits! 
  • smobeesmobee Valparaiso Indiana Posts: 178
    Would have to be 1994 at the old Chicago Stadium. Just to see them in that building would have been crazy.
    smobee said:
    Would have to be 1994 at the old Chicago Stadium. Just to see them in that building would have been crazy.
    It would have been LOUD!! 
    Tom, here s Vic s pizza in Bradley. I m eating here right now and it s amazing!!

• darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    I changed my mind...instead of Boston III, I would chose...
    Murphy's rooftop 2016....give me the damn DVD already. WTF!?!?
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    PJ20-won tickets from 10c and had a free room through my buddy, but just didn't work out
    Jones Beach 3 2000
    CBGB's 
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?