If you could go back in time to see ONE PJ show that you didn't see live, which show and why?

Comments

• PJForceofNaturePJForceofNature Posts: 3,087
    One of the Spectrum 2009 shows. I live so close and didn't go to any, but that was before I "discovered them", one year later at Bridge School Benefit. I think it was the last show that was so long and extra special, so that would be my choice!
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    Tokyo or Holmdel 2003
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Wrigley '13 - to see the greatest Cub of all time on stage with the greatest band of all time.  Pretty sure I would've cried on sight.

Honorable mentions:
    Merriweather '96 so I could score that sweet Ames poster at cost.
    MIlwaukee '14 so I could see Yield in its entirety
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624
    Just make sure you don't talk to anyone!

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    ed243421 said:
    Just make sure you don't talk to anyone!

Haha!!  Awesome! 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited June 2017
    Zod said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    The Commodore Ballroom, Vancouver, 2000. The show isn't known as a particularly stellar performance or setlist. It's just that this is my favorite music venue in the whole wide world (so far), so I'm really really really sorry that I didn't get to see my favorite band play there (there weren't any ticket sales for it - I think it was 100% by radio giveaway or something like that). Plus, the capacity is about 1,200 or so, all GA.
    It was pretty a cool show.  The one time I got to see the band in a small venue.    For us plebs the only way to get in was winning tickets from cfox.    I was in first year of college and studying for finals, so I had the radio on all the time.  Kept trying and trying.  Finally got through.. person ahead of me blew a trivia question, and I was next in line, and didn't F it up :) 

There were a number of celebs there too, so I guess that was the other way in.  I met Bret Hart because he was there on my path to the washroom.. lol.  I think capacity is about 1000.  It's also got that wicked bouncing floor (Some kind of surface that has a layer tennis balls below it).  I was listening to the Vancouver 2013 bootleg today, and Eddie mention that's some commodore ballroom shit right there...  

Oh yeah, you're right - official capacity is 995. And yes, it's got the best floor in the city. I just discovered, btw, that you can reserve tables at the Commodore! So if you're not interested in rocking out on the floor (obviously you would be for a PJ show, lol), you can book a table, and hopefully one of those sweet cherry pie tables at the edge of the balcony. Best view in the house, with table service. :) I always thought you absolutely had to line up to ensure you got a decent table, but not so. You do have to pay a "deposit" though. I didn't ask if you got the "deposit" back, so maybe you just pay to reserve. I'll find out next time there is a Commodore show I want to go to!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Honestly though, if I could go back in time and change one Pearl Jam-related thing it wouldn't be attending a show I missed. It would be preventing the weather delay at Wrigley 2013. (If I can time travel, I can change the weather.) The show we got was awesome. The show they had planned was going to be an all-timer. I wish we got to see the whole thing.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited June 2017
    JimmyV said:
    Honestly though, if I could go back in time and change one Pearl Jam-related thing it wouldn't be attending a show I missed. It would be preventing the weather delay at Wrigley 2013. (If I can time travel, I can change the weather.) The show we got was awesome. The show they had planned was going to be an all-timer. I wish we got to see the whole thing.
    Yeah, me too, although if our powers include changing weather, I think my first priority would be to prevent that heat wave ... That would probably stop the storm as well, and my entire 4 day trip to Chicago wouldn't be basically ruined. I felt that the heat/humidity made my time there kind of a living hell that I was just struggling to enjoy. I was so uncomfortable, and even felt a bit sick the whole time because of it. It dictated every second of every day for me.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    The only time I like 90+ degree heat is if I am doing something athletic like playing pick-up basketball.  Otherwise, I can't stand it.  Worst thing is eating lunch outside in the heat.  Some people love it but I hate it.
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    So many classics out there but I still wish I went to see them for the 2nd Toronto show in 2011 after attending night 1.

I had just started getting into seeing them live and didn't understand the "importance" of seeing them back-to-back nights at the same venue. I know better now but realize that it might be a bit too late!
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    In reality: Voodoo 2013. I was a cheerleader in high school and I had to cheer at our high schools football game the same night. As it was the rivalry game, our coach would not let me get out of it at all. Didn't even attempt to go over and catch them afterwards, even though I had a weekend pass.

If I had a time machine:  Probably a club show from 92 or Arena show from 93-94. The epitome of PJ, right? I would have loved to have seen a 92 show with some crazy Eddie antics. But the ferocity of those Vs/Vitalogy tour shows just mesmerizes me every time I put one on Youtube. Ah man, if only i had been born 20 years earlier: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfUVBvR2o68

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34fy1ao4mYo
    That's some badass footage from the Voodoo festival. I didn't even know it existed!
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    rummy said:
    So many classics out there but I still wish I went to see them for the 2nd Toronto show in 2011 after attending night 1.

I had just started getting into seeing them live and didn't understand the "importance" of seeing them back-to-back nights at the same venue. I know better now but realize that it might be a bit too late!
    My wife and I debated on staying for night two but the 9 hour drive swayed our decision. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Toledo 2004 with Neil has come to mind... I would flip out... or maybe even a show from the Neil Jam tour
  • lolobugg said:

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Smashing Pumpkins

Pearl Jam

this would have been an amazing show. always wish I was old enough to attend this tour.

This was the only live show I have ever seen of theirs, here in Kansas City in 1991.  It's also the only concert that me and my now husband saw together until recently.  As for the show I wish I could go back in time for, I wish I'd made the short drive to Lawrence Kansas in 1992 for the Day on the Hill outdoor concert.  I kick myself for being too lazy to drive over to see that. 
     Kansas City, Kansas (December 04, 1991)
  • whoanelly15whoanelly15 Posts: 737
    PB11041 said:
    Or, Apline Valley PJ 20. Life forced my hand and was not able to attend.
    Has to be PJ20 for me. I consider Alpine Valley to be my home venue and couldn't believe my favorite band, who could've hosted PJ20 anywhere, picked there to play! I was just too broke to buy tickets. I had already regretted not tailgating and listening from outside, which is still a great experience and much better sound than you hear on audience bootlegs. But sadly, now that Chris is gone, it feels like such a missed opportunity. Hail Hail the lucky ones who were there for that! 

If I had two time machines, I'd also hit The Ice Bowl at Alpine in 2000. 
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    Chicago(ish) All State Arena 2000-   had to give my tickets to my sis who in turn sold them off.  Was coaching soccer in Indiana and had a playoff game that night.  Never got to see them play a lot of the Binaural stuff, this show would have done that.
  • SandyRavageSandyRavage Posts: 914
    rummy said:
    In reality: Voodoo 2013. I was a cheerleader in high school and I had to cheer at our high schools football game the same night. As it was the rivalry game, our coach would not let me get out of it at all. Didn't even attempt to go over and catch them afterwards, even though I had a weekend pass.

If I had a time machine:  Probably a club show from 92 or Arena show from 93-94. The epitome of PJ, right? I would have loved to have seen a 92 show with some crazy Eddie antics. But the ferocity of those Vs/Vitalogy tour shows just mesmerizes me every time I put one on Youtube. Ah man, if only i had been born 20 years earlier: 

That's some badass footage from the Voodoo festival. I didn't even know it existed!
    It used to be on Voodoos official website, but for some reason when Rehage Entertainment sold the fest to Livenation, all of the videos dissapeared. Even videos dating to the late 90s were just gone. Glad someone ripped it and put it on Youtube for our viewing pleasure. 
  • RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,009
    rummy said:

I'm watching it right now.  Really great! Thanks for posting it.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    PJ_Soul said:
    Zod said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    The Commodore Ballroom, Vancouver, 2000. The show isn't known as a particularly stellar performance or setlist. It's just that this is my favorite music venue in the whole wide world (so far), so I'm really really really sorry that I didn't get to see my favorite band play there (there weren't any ticket sales for it - I think it was 100% by radio giveaway or something like that). Plus, the capacity is about 1,200 or so, all GA.
    It was pretty a cool show.  The one time I got to see the band in a small venue.    For us plebs the only way to get in was winning tickets from cfox.    I was in first year of college and studying for finals, so I had the radio on all the time.  Kept trying and trying.  Finally got through.. person ahead of me blew a trivia question, and I was next in line, and didn't F it up :) 

There were a number of celebs there too, so I guess that was the other way in.  I met Bret Hart because he was there on my path to the washroom.. lol.  I think capacity is about 1000.  It's also got that wicked bouncing floor (Some kind of surface that has a layer tennis balls below it).  I was listening to the Vancouver 2013 bootleg today, and Eddie mention that's some commodore ballroom shit right there...  

Oh yeah, you're right - official capacity is 995. And yes, it's got the best floor in the city. I just discovered, btw, that you can reserve tables at the Commodore! So if you're not interested in rocking out on the floor (obviously you would be for a PJ show, lol), you can book a table, and hopefully one of those sweet cherry pie tables at the edge of the balcony. Best view in the house, with table service. :) I always thought you absolutely had to line up to ensure you got a decent table, but not so. You do have to pay a "deposit" though. I didn't ask if you got the "deposit" back, so maybe you just pay to reserve. I'll find out next time there is a Commodore show I want to go to!
    There was a long gap between commodore shows for me.  I remember seeing a few shows after PJ in the early 00's.  Everclear, Stabbing Westward, and umm a Jerry Cantrell solo show come to mind.   I remember there being tables kind of on the sides of the floor area and if we got there at doors it was easy to grab one.    I don't really remember the tables on the balcony.  I do remember them there the last time I was the commodore about two years ago (to see skinny puppy).    I wonder if it was a new thing.  Maybe that's why the capacity is a bit less than it used to be.

Overall the venue is so small it's not hard getting a good spot to watch the band.   It is nice having a table though.. can shoot the shit and have beers while waiting for it to start :)
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    I didn't get to see any PJ shows between Finsbury Park 93 and Cardiff 2000 so I'd take anything at all from that 7 year gap. Seriously, close my eyes and point anywhere at a list and I'll take it!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • coco buttercoco butter Posts: 1,434
    Soldier Field.
    It still pisses me off that my buddy and I didn't go. We went to Milwaukee Summerfest night 2 two days before for our first show ever and we were forever hooked. They sank their teeth in us and have never let go. Amazing first show! But, we actually had tickets for Chicago first and got rid of them for the Milwaukee show. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!
    Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,381
    mcgruff10 said:
    rummy said:

My wife and I debated on staying for night two but the 9 hour drive swayed our decision. 
    This.  And we had to get the kids back for school. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• 1995 in Melbourne...first time in Melbourne...I didnt see them till 1998
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    7-11-03 really did the pre-set and surprised they haven't done it more.

Easy to say/think Soldier Field. My parents went and they took my sister (not me). They all raved about it obviously but now that I'm older, I don't know about the GA and the 97° (hotter when you're packed amongst the crowd) stuff. I think I could take a pass. At least when it was a scorcher for Wrigley 13, we could pregame at a few different bars. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited June 2017
    Stockholm 1992
    Benaroya
    Mansfield #3
    or Oprheum Theatre 1994.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,759
    Any early show where Eddie was a daredevil climbing rigs. Small club shows on would be great, but I can only imagine how it would've been to experience it in person (and not in some tiny YouTube video).
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    last night's show in Italy
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    last night's show in Italy
    I'm betting these final two nights in Sicily will cause more than a little show envy, too. The venue is insanely beautiful and he always brings it at the end of a tour.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    Jacksonville, FL - Ed solo shows

(At the time, I lived 2.5 hours away and passed on it)
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    JimmyV said:
    Going back in time for the same show, which I also attended, and advise myself (and my wife) NOT to get personal pizzas at Lou Malnati's the evening after the show.  Neither of us wanted to go out and party after ingesting that fucking compact brick of a load.  "Personal" pizza?  Good fucking FSM, that should have been enough for 4 people, and they all still might have spent the rest of the evening on their toilets.

This experience gave birth to the term "Taking A Lou" - f that place and that pile of crap they call pizza. 

In all seriousness, I am with Lolo and the 1991 show in Burlington, VT that I passed on (because I was an idiot) with Chilis, Pumpkins, and PJ.  Any show on that tour would have been amazing to see.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved