Options

Do you let your kids walk to school?

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,831
    Yes.
    hedonist said:
    This thread is funny because it has parents and non-parents speaking.
    In AMT that is fire.
    I could suggest that the sky is pink as a parent and I would receive many colourful responses.
    Actually, as a non-parent, it's kind of fucked up for anyone to say (or imply) that non-parents shouldn't respond. 

So...non-parent here!  But, I was a kid years ago.

My first elementary school was one block from our home at the time, second one the same  My mom may or may have not followed me there ninja-like to make sure I got there OK, but at seven years old?  Different times of course.  Safe.  Short walk, neighbors knew each other.  Grab a friend from our street along the way.  I get others have lived differently, as children and those with kiddos.  Just relaying my history and how my parents (and, through them, I as well) chose and view the childhood lived.

Bused it to my Jr. High and skateboarded to Sr.  LOVED IT.

Within those years, in my supposedly safe neighborhood, I avoided traffic shit yet was subjected to four separate occasions of male drivers cruising up next to me, furiously jerking off.  I found each of them a mix of amusing (as in, "whoa, really?") and sad.

OH. MY. GOD. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,872
    brianlux said:
    There is no poll option for "Depends on the age".

Nor "Depends on where you live".

I never had kids but I home schooled one of my nephews for a year so that doesn't count. 

I walked to school but that was 800 years ago and I almost always went with siblings of friends.  More fun with friends because we could get away things like throwing M-80's down (unoccupied) manhole covers without my brother ratting on me.
    Brian,
    What certificates does one have to have in order to home school a kid (I'm sure it varies from state to state)?  Do you follow the state curriculum?  Does the child have to take some sort of final or standardized test in order to "graduate"?  Just wondering.

Mike
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,709
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

I never had kids but I home schooled one of my nephews for a year so that doesn't count. 

I walked to school but that was 800 years ago and I almost always went with siblings of friends.  More fun with friends because we could get away things like throwing M-80's down (unoccupied) manhole covers without my brother ratting on me.
    Brian,
    What certificates does one have to have in order to home school a kid (I'm sure it varies from state to state)?  Do you follow the state curriculum?  Does the child have to take some sort of final or standardized test in order to "graduate"?  Just wondering.

Mike
    This took place in Washington state, Mike, back in the early 90's (just as Pearl Jam were breaking, come to think of it!), and it was only for one year- my nephews 4th grade.   I honestly don't know exactly what certificate was required because  I had a regular state issued teaching certificate (as opposed to temporary certificates which could be had in order to sub).  If I recall correctly (and good grief, that was only 25 years ago- should not be so difficult to remember!)  I was given a general outline of what subject matter needed to be covered and just checked in with admin from time to time.   I was given a fair amount of freedom to set my own curriculum as long as I covered all subjects required for that grade.  That freedom was probably allowed because admin knew me and were aware of my qualifications as a teacher and knew I had taught a 5/6 combo in the past and had subbed at all the local schools for a few years pretty much full time.  I'm guessing working in small towns made that sort of thing a bit looser that way as well.  It was a great experience for my nephew and me. 

I'm not sure what the requirements are here in California but I have to admit there have been a few time parents have come into the bookstore asking for certain books and I kind of wonder if these people are really qualified to home school.  I'm fairly neutral on home schooling.  In some situations, it makes sense.  My nephew had certain needs and good reason to have me home school him at the time but I got him into regular schooling as soon as I could.  I thinks its better to have the socialization schools provide.  Beyond that, I think a conscientious parent will do some home schooling regardless-- for example, my parents helped me with homework and set up a reading time for us when I was a kid and made it a positive experience and that instigated my love of books.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,105
    hedonist said:
    In AMT that is fire.
    I could suggest that the sky is pink as a parent and I would receive many colourful responses.
    Actually, as a non-parent, it's kind of fucked up for anyone to say (or imply) that non-parents shouldn't respond. 

My first elementary school was one block from our home at the time, second one the same  My mom may or may have not followed me there ninja-like to make sure I got there OK, but at seven years old?  Different times of course.  Safe.  Short walk, neighbors knew each other.  Grab a friend from our street along the way.  I get others have lived differently, as children and those with kiddos.  Just relaying my history and how my parents (and, through them, I as well) chose and view the childhood lived.

Within those years, in my supposedly safe neighborhood, I avoided traffic shit yet was subjected to four separate occasions of male drivers cruising up next to me, furiously jerking off.  I found each of them a mix of amusing (as in, "whoa, really?") and sad.

OH. MY. GOD. 
    That's it, my daughter is never walking to school....in fact I may not let her leave the house.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    hedonist said:
    In AMT that is fire.

OH. MY. GOD. 
    That's it, my daughter is never walking to school....in fact I may not let her leave the house.
    I should clarify that I never felt unsafe, as in about to be abducted or molested by anyone with one hand fully "occupied".  Glad I knew not to approach or panic.  I remember actually laughing at one dude =)
  • Options
    Yes.
    hedonist said:
    hedonist said:
    In AMT that is fire.

OH. MY. GOD. 
    I should clarify that I never felt unsafe, as in about to be abducted or molested by anyone with one hand fully "occupied".  Glad I knew not to approach or panic.  I remember actually laughing at one dude =)
    i can't believe anyone would have to witness that once, never mind FOUR TIMES. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Yes.
    hedonist said:
    In AMT that is fire.

OH. MY. GOD. 
    hey, on the bright side, she didn't get Silence of the Lambs-ed. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    edited June 2017
    hedonist said:
    In AMT that is fire.

OH. MY. GOD. 
    Great. Yet again, females suffer for male misdeeds.

FWIW, I had a naked jerking perv drive up on me and my sister when I was about 6. Meh. That's all he did. Whatcha gonna do? It wasn't even close to traumatizing. We knew to run - our parents did indeed teach us very well how to handle such situations, so unless there is a child snatcher on the loose, which is extremely rare, locking up your kids to protect them from the world is pretty much the worst thing any parent can do (I'm assuming you were using hyperbole cincy, but just the very idea makes me mad). BTW, Clifford Olsen was on the loose in my neighborhood when I was a kid. Of course everyone changed their behaviours during that time, until he was caught.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    Yes.
    PJ_Soul said:
    hedonist said:
    In AMT that is fire.

OH. MY. GOD. 

FWIW, I had a naked jerking perv drive up on me and my sister when I was about 6. Meh. That's all he did. Whatcha gonna do? It wasn't even close to traumatizing. We knew to run - our parents did indeed teach us very well how to handle such situations, so unless there is a child snatcher on the loose, which is extremely rare, locking up your kids to protect them from the world is pretty much the worst thing any parent can do (I'm assuming you were using hyperbole cincy, but just the very idea makes me mad). BTW, Clifford Olsen was on the loose in my neighborhood when I was a kid. Of course everyone changed their behaviours during that time, until he was caught.
    Clifford Olsen in your neighbourhood?

That's the real OH MY GOD. Not the pathetic exhibitionist. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    hedonist said:
    In AMT that is fire.

OH. MY. GOD. 

Yeah, it was pretty crazy. Of course, the parents and the neighborhood block parent program and the schools and the police all came up with ways for the kids to stay safe. I remember it really sucking, because we were all used to roaming freely, and we had to stop that until he was caught. When he was caught and we could go back to normal we were like escaped wild animals that had been caged for too long, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Yes.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    hedonist said:
    In AMT that is fire.

OH. MY. GOD. 

Yeah, it was pretty crazy. Of course, the parents and the neighborhood block parent program and the schools and the police all came up with ways for the kids to stay safe. I remember it really sucking, because we were all used to roaming freely, and we had to stop that until he was caught. When he was caught and we could go back to normal we were like escaped wild animals that had been caged for too long, lol.
    How long did that go on for? I'm curious as to how long it took for people to become aware what was going on, and then the gap between that awareness and when he was apprehended. 
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,105
    PJ_Soul said:
    hedonist said:
    In AMT that is fire.

OH. MY. GOD. 

I was only kidding...I'm not really going to lock her up in the house forever.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Damn, this thread is one giant reminder of how lucky I was (and Simon is) to grow up in the stix!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

Brian,

Mike
    This took place in Washington state, Mike, back in the early 90's (just as Pearl Jam were breaking, come to think of it!), and it was only for one year- my nephews 4th grade.   I honestly don't know exactly what certificate was required because  I had a regular state issued teaching certificate (as opposed to temporary certificates which could be had in order to sub).  If I recall correctly (and good grief, that was only 25 years ago- should not be so difficult to remember!)  I was given a general outline of what subject matter needed to be covered and just checked in with admin from time to time.   I was given a fair amount of freedom to set my own curriculum as long as I covered all subjects required for that grade.  That freedom was probably allowed because admin knew me and were aware of my qualifications as a teacher and knew I had taught a 5/6 combo in the past and had subbed at all the local schools for a few years pretty much full time.  I'm guessing working in small towns made that sort of thing a bit looser that way as well.  It was a great experience for my nephew and me. 

I'm not sure what the requirements are here in California but I have to admit there have been a few time parents have come into the bookstore asking for certain books and I kind of wonder if these people are really qualified to home school.  I'm fairly neutral on home schooling.  In some situations, it makes sense.  My nephew had certain needs and good reason to have me home school him at the time but I got him into regular schooling as soon as I could.  I thinks its better to have the socialization schools provide.  Beyond that, I think a conscientious parent will do some home schooling regardless-- for example, my parents helped me with homework and set up a reading time for us when I was a kid and made it a positive experience and that instigated my love of books.
    Good info Brian, thank you.  by the way, 25 years isn't that long ago lol

so your nephew didn't have to take any standardized testing?  
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,709
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

Brian,

Mike

To the best of my memory (which isn't about how long ago 25 years was but more about how long ago I am, lol) I don't believe so.  I'm fairly certain it was just a matter of conferring with the regular 4th grade teacher and principal.

In the end I was a bit disappointed because this nephew dropped out of high school.  But, by the time he was 23 or 24 he had, through legal, hard work and natural smarts and abilities, amassed enough money to buy a 2500 square foot house in a really nice Seattle suburb.  Go figure!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    hedonist said:
    In AMT that is fire.

OH. MY. GOD. 

I was only kidding...I'm not really going to lock her up in the house forever.
    Oh, I know - as I said, I assumed you were being hyperbolic... just you saying it triggered the concern in me generally, as some parents, and especially dads, actually do try and do this to their daughters!
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    brianlux said:

Brian,

Mike

To the best of my memory (which isn't about how long ago 25 years was but more about how long ago I am, lol) I don't believe so.  I'm fairly certain it was just a matter of conferring with the regular 4th grade teacher and principal.

In the end I was a bit disappointed because this nephew dropped out of high school.  But, by the time he was 23 or 24 he had, through legal, hard work and natural smarts and abilities, amassed enough money to buy a 2500 square foot house in a really nice Seattle suburb.  Go figure!
    that's awesome news in the end!
    So I wonder what the requirements are to home school.  College grad?  High school grad?  I honestly have no clue.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    hedonist said:
    In AMT that is fire.

OH. MY. GOD. 

How long did that go on for? I'm curious as to how long it took for people to become aware what was going on, and then the gap between that awareness and when he was apprehended. 
    I was pretty young, so don't recall the timelines specifically, but it was at least a few months, maybe more ... I specifically remember that it kept us from walking to school the way we usually did (i.e. parents walked with us), and it definitely ruined nearly an entire summer vacation too. We couldn't roam wild like we were used to doing.
  • Options
    Yes.
    Just read this in the local morning paper.  Ugh - how infuriating! A father has been investigated by child protection services for letting his four kids (ages 7 - 11) ride the city bus to school, together. The decision of the Ministry was that children under 10 can not be left unattended, whether at home, in public, playing outside, walking to the corner store, etc. Total idiocy which reinforces the idea that children are unsafe every moment of the day and we can't possibly let them take risks that might actually help them grow up and develop the skills they will need to live independently.

An illuminating fact at the end of the article - between 2009 and 2013 there were no deaths of children on buses in Canada. In the same time period over a hundred children died in cars.

http://www.timescolonist.com/case-of-b-c-dad-barred-from-letting-kids-ride-bus-alone-prompts-debate-1.22478618

• Options
    Yes.
    Just read this in the local morning paper.  Ugh - how infuriating! A father has been investigated by child protection services for letting his four kids (ages 7 - 11) ride the city bus to school, together. The decision of the Ministry was that children under 10 can not be left unattended, whether at home, in public, playing outside, walking to the corner store, etc. Total idiocy which reinforces the idea that children are unsafe every moment of the day and we can't possibly let them take risks that might actually help them grow up and develop the skills they will need to live independently.

An illuminating fact at the end of the article - between 2009 and 2013 there were no deaths of children on buses in Canada. In the same time period over a hundred children died in cars.

http://www.timescolonist.com/case-of-b-c-dad-barred-from-letting-kids-ride-bus-alone-prompts-debate-1.22478618

maddening. so my 8 year old daughter, in BC, wouldn't be allowed to ride her bike outside without me watching her, even if she's with her big sister? holy shit. when I was a kid, at that age, i was gone for 6 hours at a time riding bikes around my neighbourhood and adjoining neighbourhoods. brutal. 

when is this going to extend to her being in our yard alone or with her big sister? oh, right, that already happened in winnipeg, with the mom watching her kids through the kitchen window while doing the dishes, getting reported and investigated. unbelievable. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    At the school where my sister teaches, any kids who lives within a mile of the school have to walk.
  • Options
    At the school where my sister teaches, any kids who lives within a mile of the school have to walk.
    WHAT?

They might get abducted!!!oftenreading said:

Here in NY its a way of life for the kids to take a bus or subway, sometimes both.  Mass transit is the only way to get to school.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,000
    The thread should be re-titled "Under normal circumstances, would you let your kids walk to school?"

Of course an 8 year old shouldn't be walking down some narrow highway with cars going 60 mph (95 kph for our Canadian friends).
    But most elementary schools are inside neighborhoods, and a district typically has 3-4 elementary schools for every high school so they are spread apart. Most kids can walk to their elementary school in 10 minutes or less without crossing major highways.
    At least in my experience, when I move to a new area I don't even realize how many schools are close by until I start walking my dog or riding my bike around town or something because they are tucked inside neighborhoods, off major roads, and can find 2 or 3 within a mile.
    Given those circumstances I would definitely let my kids walk to school.

One impact charter schools have made is more kids are opting out of their local school and traveling to charter schools on the other side of town, which often don't have a bus program. You see a lot of parents dropping their kids off because it isn't just down the street and around the corner.
  • Options
    Yes.
    mace1229 said:
    The thread should be re-titled "Under normal circumstances, would you let your kids walk to school?"

Of course an 8 year old shouldn't be walking down some narrow highway with cars going 60 mph (95 kph for our Canadian friends).
    But most elementary schools are inside neighborhoods, and a district typically has 3-4 elementary schools for every high school so they are spread apart. Most kids can walk to their elementary school in 10 minutes or less without crossing major highways.
    At least in my experience, when I move to a new area I don't even realize how many schools are close by until I start walking my dog or riding my bike around town or something because they are tucked inside neighborhoods, off major roads, and can find 2 or 3 within a mile.
    Given those circumstances I would definitely let my kids walk to school.

One impact charter schools have made is more kids are opting out of their local school and traveling to charter schools on the other side of town, which often don't have a bus program. You see a lot of parents dropping their kids off because it isn't just down the street and around the corner.
    Yes, that's a drawback of charter schools/private schools. You lose the connection to your neighbourhood and its kids. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    No.
    Too far to walk for the 12 year old.  When he goes to HS he can walk, it will be close enough.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    I don't have kids, but if I did, yes indeed, I'd let them do this. I think the #1 responsibility of a parent is to raise their children to be strong, independent adults with street smarts. Helicopter parenting does not achieve that at all. I believe that kids should assume as much responsibility as they are reasonably capable of as early as possible, and that obviously includes walking (or busing) to and from school, assuming they are in a reasonable environment to do so. Those 4 kids taking the bus were clearly completely safe, travelled in a group, with the oldest being an 11 year old, and all of them knowing very well how to safely travel that way. This seems like a perfect and specifically beneficial situation for all 4 of those children and their development, and I am really angry that social services shut down something that is extremely beneficial to those kids' development. It's like Social Services is going out of its way to do those children a disservice, and it's extremely frustrating. :anguished: Also, I think that parental rights are being violated here.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I would definitely allow them to walk to school but we living in a busing district. I don't think you are allowed to walk to school. 
    Not allowed?? That's completely bizarre. 
    yeah we have courtesy busing so they aren't allowed to walk to school.  of course parents can drop off and pick up their child.
    I think I've asked before, and you said you didn't know what the consequences are if you refuse the bus. I seriously doubt they literally HAVE to take the bus, but hey, sometimes people are actually that fucking stupid. I'd love to know more about this rule. If that is indeed an enforceable rule (i.e. the kid is not allowed to attend the school otherwise) I would definitely be taking that school board to court over it. I think such a rule is a shining example of one way society is going to shit, and I'd fight it tooth and nail.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    No.
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don't have kids, but if I did, yes indeed, I'd let them do this. I think the #1 responsibility of a parent is to raise their children to be strong, independent adults with street smarts. Helicopter parenting does not achieve that at all. I believe that kids should assume as much responsibility as they are reasonably capable of as early as possible, and that obviously includes walking (or busing) to and from school, assuming they are in a reasonable environment to do so. Those 4 kids taking the bus were clearly completely safe, travelled in a group, with the oldest being an 11 year old, and all of them knowing very well how to safely travel that way. This seems like a perfect and specifically beneficial situation for all 4 of those children and their development, and I am really angry that social services shut down something that is extremely beneficial to those kids' development. It's like Social Services is going out of its way to do those children a disservice, and it's extremely frustrating. :anguished: Also, I think that parental rights are being violated here.
    I have a very close friend who has no children and constantly shares his opinion with those of us that do, and his opinions are often critical or run counter to what he is observing.
    His opinion is not invalid simply because he is not a father -- but we do laugh at what he shares sometimes and tell him something along the lines of 'we used to think that way too before we became parents'
    (I know that there are a number of things I changed my view on once I had kids to be responsible for/to.)

Funny thing -- his wife is 8 months pregnant now and for the past few months he has been leading off many statements with "As a FATHER, I think...."
    Makes us laugh, so hard.

As I said, I do not discount your opinion.  I do, however, acknowledge that I lived through a number of ideas/opinions changing when the discussion was about my kids and not some other person's kids.

I can agree to this, without any doubt:  In my city, the average 12 year old is considerably less responsible/experienced/self-sufficient than what I observed 30 years ago. 
    You could likely point to many factors as to why this is true....
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    I have a very close friend who has no children and constantly shares his opinion with those of us that do, and his opinions are often critical or run counter to what he is observing.
    His opinion is not invalid simply because he is not a father -- but we do laugh at what he shares sometimes and tell him something along the lines of 'we used to think that way too before we became parents'
    (I know that there are a number of things I changed my view on once I had kids to be responsible for/to.)

Funny thing -- his wife is 8 months pregnant now and for the past few months he has been leading off many statements with "As a FATHER, I think...."
    Makes us laugh, so hard.

As I said, I do not discount your opinion.  I do, however, acknowledge that I lived through a number of ideas/opinions changing when the discussion was about my kids and not some other person's kids.

I can agree to this, without any doubt:  In my city, the average 12 year old is considerably less responsible/experienced/self-sufficient than what I observed 30 years ago. 
    My sister has children though, as do all of my closest friends. I'm close with them and and fully aware of what the deal is  - they discuss these kinds of things with me all the time, value my opinions, and sometimes I am responsible for those children. You don't have to have kids to have an actually informed opinion, especially not when you are involved in childrens' lives anyway. I also was a nanny in my youth. So yes, even though I don't have kids, I feel that I am qualified to form educated opinions when it comes to shit like this, in a general sense. Sure, I know your own kids are different than someone else's. However, I don't think that applied to this topic. I absolutely know for a fact what my parenting philosophy would be if I had kids - I feel very strongly about this issue of independence for children, and how to manage that, and, using my beloved niece and nephew as a point of comparison, or my best friend's kids, I can comfortably say that my parenting philosophy would be very similar to my sister's and my best friend's, since that is how both of us were raised ourselves. Add to that the fact that the father in this story obviously feels the same way I do, so it's hardly a stretch for me to say that I agree with his thinking and that having my own child wouldn't change that. That is how ALL the kids in my family have been raised - it's like a family tradition, so to speak.

As for the responsibility levels of 12 year olds... that depends entirely on the child. Obviously, if your kid is an irresponsible kid who tends to ignore consequences or is easily distracted or something, you're going to give that kid less responsibility than you would a child who is more level-headed and responsible at that age.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Makes us laugh, so hard.

My sister has children though, as do all of my closest friend. I'm close with them and and fully aware of what the deal is  - they discuss these kinds of things with me all the time, value my opinions, and sometimes I am responsible for those children. You don't have to have kids to have an actually informed opinion, especially not when you are involved in childrens' lives anyway. I also was a nanny in my youth. So yes, even though I don't have kids, I feel that I am qualified to form educated opinions when it comes to shit like this, in a general sense. Sure, I know your own kids are different than someone else's. However, I don't think that applied to this topic. I absolutely know for a fact what my parenting philosophy would be if I had kids - I feel very strongly about this issue of independence for children, and how to manage that, and, using my beloved niece and nephew as a point of comparison, I can comfortably say that my parenting philosophy would be very similar to my sister's, since that is how both of us were raised ourselves.
    As for the responsibility levels of 12 year olds... that depends entirely on the child. Obviously, if your kid is an irresponsible kid who tends to ignore consequences or is easily distracted or something, you're going to give that kid less responsibility than you would a child who is more level-headed and responsible at that age.
    Until the blood is yours, you are mommy or daddy from birth, raised them, fed them, nurtured them, 100% responsible for all aspects of their life......it is not the same.  Your opinion matters, but being a nanny, aunt or close friend isn't even in the same ballpark as a parent.  Sorry to say.