Options

Poll--The Weakest Link: The Champions - Winner - Corduroy

Comments

• Options
    Gtilley8Gtilley8 Detroit Posts: 985
    Release
    rgambs said:
    Release definitely should have won Ten. Get over Black it's the worst song on Ten. 
    In 15O years, Black will be their 5th symphony, their 1812 Overture, their Messiah chorale...

I always agree with your side on the political threads. I'll differ here. It should never be the the song they're remembered for.
    2000 - 8/21 - Columbus, OH
    2003 - 6/18 - Chicago, IL
    2006 - 5/22 - Auburn Hills, MI
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL
    2015 - 9/26 - New York, NY
    2016 - 4/16 - Greenville, SC; 8/20 - Chicago, IL; 8/22 - Chicago, IL
    2018 - 8/18 - Chicago, IL; 8/20 - Chicago, IL

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3045
  • Options
    whoanelly15whoanelly15 Posts: 737
    Release
    Corduroy is a worth winner. But let the record show that my poll would have RVM edging out Black, neither of which are here. This has been fun though, peeps. Thanks again to the OP!
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,626
    Release
    Release is my favorite PJ song... but I think corduroy is their best song
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    Corduroy
    Post your favorite versions of the finalists!!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    Corduroy
    rgambs said:
    Release definitely should have won Ten. Get over Black it's the worst song on Ten. 
    In 15O years, Black will be their 5th symphony, their 1812 Overture, their Messiah chorale...

:rofl: 
    Now that statement is just wrong. SO WRONG!

Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    Corduroy
    JimmyV said:
    I'll stick with my opinion. You stick with yours.

Especially since nd's is wrong.
    No it's right, I'm just ballsy enough to say it out loud.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,529
    Release
    JimmyV said:

Haha.  Yep, a song that grabbed the attention of millions and is a top concert favorite 25 years later isn't very good.  Keep smoking whatever you are smoking because it is working.
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    edited June 2017
    Release
    mcgruff10 said:
    Post your favorite versions of the finalists!!!
    Release
    Atlanta, 1994
    Seattle 2, 2000
    Bonner Springs, 2003
    Verona, 2006
    Sao Paulo 1, 2011
    Manchester 1, 2012
    Detroit, 2014
    Philly 2, 2016

Corduroy (many have the "Interstellar Overdrive" Intro)
    Live on Two Legs, 1998
    Las Vegas, 2000
    Las Vegas, 2003
    Pistoia, 2006
    Buenos Aires, 2011
    Newport, 2012
    Seattle, 2013
    Detroit, 2014 (if only for the intro)
    *nothing from 2016

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,878
    Release
    So hard to narrow down. If I'm picking one of each...

Corduroy: The set closer at Fenway last year
    Release: Opener at Wrigley in 2013 with the crazy singalong

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Corduroy
    bootlegger10 said: no
    JimmyV said:

Haha.  Yep, a song that grabbed the attention of millions and is a top concert favorite 25 years later isn't very good.  Keep smoking whatever you are smoking because it is working.
    Popular doesn't denote good. If that was the case Justin Bieber is a good musician.....oh wait.....

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Release
    rgambs said:

I'm sure there were some oddballs who said that about the 5th as well!

Popularity doesn't make a song great, but a great song is rarely unpopular.  There is no doubt that Black is a great song, only a contrarian would find a way to disagree.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Release
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Popularity doesn't make a song great, but a great song is rarely unpopular.  There is no doubt that Black is a great song, only a contrarian would find a way to disagree.
    Black is a great song. My only "beef" with it is that it often vies with Alive (and Release as well, I guess) as the best song on Ten - and I prefer Alive.
  • Options
    Release
    bootlegger10 said: no
    JimmyV said:

Popular doesn't denote good. If that was the case Justin Bieber is a good musician.....oh wait.....
    Great music stands the test of time.  25 years later Black still is a highlight of the concert.  Bieber will be forgotten.  Release is a great song too but not in the league of Black.   You are letting the popularity of Black cloud your judgement.  Fugazi won't look down on you for liking a popular song.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,878
    Release
    rummy said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Black is a great song. My only "beef" with it is that it often vies with Alive (and Release as well, I guess) as the best song on Ten - and I prefer Alive.

I don't think you can go wrong either way. Black, Alive...Ten is stacked with great songs.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    BSullyBSully Indiana Posts: 1,015
    Release
    Yeah Corduroy!!!
    1998: Noblesville, IN 08-17
    2000: Noblesville, IN 08-18
    2003: Noblesville, IN 06-22
    2006: Cincinnati, OH 06-24
    2010: Noblesville, IN 05-07
    2016: Lexington, KY 04-26, Wrigley Field 2 08-22
    2018: Wrigley Field 1 08-18, Wrigley Field 2 08-20
    2022: St. Louis, MO 09-18
    2024: Noblesville, IN 08-26, Wrigley Field 1 08-29, Wrigley Field 2 08-31
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,834
    Corduroy
    Both great songs. Release simply cuts deeper...it's one of the handful of songs, especially after 25+ years, that raises goosebumps nearly every time I hear it.
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Release
    brianlux said:
    Go Corduroy!  Such an amazing song.  Great lyrics!  And that great open E string/ E note on the A string/ B note on the D string triad opening riff followed by those great descending F/E/G chords.  How can you not love it!
    Em...but I get what you're getting at and I dig it. 
  • Options
    Release
    jjflash said:
    Both great songs. Release simply cuts deeper...it's one of the handful of songs, especially after 25+ years, that raises goosebumps nearly every time I hear it.
    Release definitely is one tune that has aged extremely well - maybe even gotten better with age - especially live. Here I'm not saying the performances themselves are any better but the meaning of the song to the fans seems to have grown.

Still feel bad for voting against it but, well, you know, Corduroy.
  • Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,747
    Corduroy
    So we're saying, as of right now, Corduroy and Release are Pearl Jam's top two songs? I've seen this combo open about 5 shows but don't believe either one is their greatest song
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Corduroy
    It grows with importance every time see it performed or hear it 
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Release
    This poll has closed... and you Champion of Champions.... Corduroy
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Release
    I hope everyone had a great time participating in these "Weakest Link" polls. The first Ten poll was started on February 15, and we finish about 3 months later. I had fun, hopefully this got some of you listening to these great albums again.

Thanks again all who participated. 
  • Options
    Release
    So we're saying, as of right now, Corduroy and Release are Pearl Jam's top two songs? I've seen this combo open about 5 shows but don't believe either one is their greatest song
    I wish I was at just one of those five shows!
  • Options
    wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    Corduroy
    MedozK said:
    I hope everyone had a great time participating in these "Weakest Link" polls. The first Ten poll was started on February 15, and we finish about 3 months later. I had fun, hopefully this got some of you listening to these great albums again.

Thanks for running these.
    NYPJ
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,216
    edited June 2017
    Release
    MedozK said:

Thank you! It's been a lot of fun. Great discussions about our favorite band and why we all love their music even though we rarely agree :)
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Release

You da man, MedozK. 

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Missed the cut-off but I would've voted Release anyway.  Congrats to Corduroy!
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,930
    Corduroy
    MedozK said:

Thanks for doing such a great job with these polls.  It was a lot of fun!  
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,772
    Release
    MedozK said:

Very much enjoyed them! 
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,949
    Release
    MedozK said:
    This poll has closed... and you Champion of Champions.... Corduroy
    awesome...
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
This discussion has been closed.