Options

San Francisco on a tear to give itself the shaft.

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,682
edited June 2017 in All Encompassing Trip
Sorry for the rant here but while driving across the Bay Bridge to spend the day in my old home city, San Francisco, I was mortified  to see these new monstrosities shooting up like a bad cases of crabgrass. 

First off, we have the new Salesforce Building.  Sounds and looks like your worst nightmare colonoscopy.  This thing is MONSTROUS, hideous, completely out of sync with the San Francisco skyline and about as aesthetically creative as jamming a finger up your nose in public.  You really have to see it  in person to get the full ream job affect but here it is:

And then there's the minor little problem of the Millennial Tower that has already SUNK 16 INCHES INTO THE MUD AND IS TILTING!!  Brilliant.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/11/25/san_francisco_millennium_tower/

There are other new skyscrapers shooting up in the financial district to promise to be almost equally horrifying.  They're ruining my city and it frosts me to no end!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,450
    I'll be there this weekend. is salesforce the middle building? all three are pretty bad.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    I'll be there this weekend. is salesforce the middle building? all three are pretty bad.
    Yeah, it's the tallest.  The tallest phallus on the block.  And yes, all three and a few close to the Bay Bridge are hideous.  All are worthy of Kunstlers "Eyesore of the Month" on his blog.  You can't miss the Salesforce Building, it sticks out like a sore thumb.  C. kept trying to calm me down because I kept ranting about this gawd awful monstrosity.  Probably would have seemed like a humorous scene out of a movie!

The Millennial Building has people in an uproar.  Investors are eating it. Wouldn't want to be in that thing in an earthquake!

On another note, Golden Gate Park is beautiful this time of year.  We went to the Conservatory of Flowers to see the butterfly room (actually got to see some butterflies emerging from cocoons)  and checked out the many wild and exotic plants it bloom right now.  Probably the best show of blossoms I've every seen there.  Very cool!

Have a good time in S.F. and a safe trip!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,248
    I think they look nice
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I think they look nice
    I'm probably just being an old fuddy duddy fart.

To be honest though, I loved the look of San Francisco best back in the 50's, and 60's in the days of Heb Caen, Woolworth's, Playland, and that frigid chunk of concrete known as Candlestick part where I used to go see Mays, McCovey and Marichal play.

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,975
    @brianlux you got to see Marichal pitch!?!  Oh please tell me stories!!!

Mays is cool but Juan pitching is better!  
  • Options
    @brianlux you got to see Marichal pitch!?!  Oh please tell me stories!!!

Mays is cool but Juan pitching is better!  
    Oh man, he was great.  I wish I could remember more specifics about seeing him play.  My father played what he used to call "semi-pro softball" (not sure what he meant) so he was really up on the game and made sure we went to see some of the games Marichal was starting.  I do remember that high leg kick of his- like doing the splits before firing away!

And yeah, Mays was awesome as was McCovey.  One of my favorite memories was seeing a Giants game in which all three Alou brothers played the whole outfield for an inning or two- Jesus, Felipe and Matty.  That was so cool.  Also great was meeting Jim Davenport at a Boy Scout function.  Heck of a nice guy.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Now to be fair, San Francisco still has some wonderful features, one of the best being wonderful Golden Gate Park.  In that park is the excellent Conservatory of Flowers in in that Conservatory, as I write this, a marvelous flower is about to bloom, and it only does so once every 7 to 10 years.  The plant is called Amorphophallus titanum, aka Titan Arum or Corpse Flower.  The common name is called "Corpse Flower" because the blossom emits a foul odor of rotting animal flash.  I saw it last week before blooming and already it was huge, about like this:

When it blooms (we will miss it :-(   ) it will look like this:

Post edited by brianlux on