Options

Poll--The Weakest Link: The Champions - Round 3

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,674
    Release
    I refuse to vote.  This is nuts.  We are essentially picking the best Pearl Jam song out of the list. Impossible.
    You must vote.  We require it of you, NOW buddy!  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited June 2017
    Light Years
    brianlux said:
    I refuse to vote.  This is nuts.  We are essentially picking the best Pearl Jam song out of the list. Impossible.
    Fine you old fart.  I appreciated the Binaural experiment stuff but LY seemed oddly out of place on that album.;)

How do you add smilies now?
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Present Tense
    My boy Corduroy shall be the last one standing.
     B)  
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,674
    Release
    brianlux said:
    Fine you old fart.  I appreciated the Binaural experiment stuff but LY seemed oddly out of place on that album.;)

How do you add smilies now?
    Actually getting you to vote?  This old fart doesn't smile, at that.  Oh no, I do this:  :rofl::rofl::rofl:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,897
    Light Years
    Look like Present Tense will get the flick :( 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Given To Fly
    Boooo!! Present Tense is far more original than half of these!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    BEnglish017BEnglish017 Posts: 455
    Rearviewmirror
    I didn't didn't know what to vote for. I love Rearviewmirror but it's probably my least favorite of what's left....even though it's amazing live. 
    Lexington 4.21.03, Chicago 5.16.06, Cincinnati 6.24.06, Lollapalooza 8.5.07, Virginia Beach 6.17.08, Camden 6.19.08, Camden 6.20.08, East Troy (PJ20) 9.3.11, East Troy (PJ20) 9.4.11, Wrigley 7.19.13, Pittsburgh 10.11.13, Cincinnati 10.1.14, Lexington 4.26.16, Wrigley 8.20.16, Wrigley 8.22.16, Wrigley 8.18.18, Wrigley 8.20.2018, Fenway 9.4.18, New York 3.30.20, Nashville 4.2.20, St. Louis 4.4.20, Bourbon & Beyond 9.17.22, Indianapolis 9.10.2023
  • Options
    KP278376KP278376 Posts: 42
    Corduroy
    Man, going to be sad to see Present Tense go
  • Options
    KP278376KP278376 Posts: 42
    Corduroy
    When you hear Present Tense live... and the Bass Drum kicks in halfway through... might be my favorite part of a PJ show
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,213
    Light Years
    KP278376 said:
    When you hear Present Tense live... and the Bass Drum kicks in halfway through... might be my favorite part of a PJ show
    Yes. Sounded awesome at Greenville last year. Love that version.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,873
    Light Years
    Of the choices we have I think Corduroy gets my vote to win with Given To Fly coming in second. Anything else will feel like we got it wrong.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    Light Years
    I love love love Light Years. 
    Hard choice between Light Years and Present Tense. I don't think I will be able to vote in the next round. 
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • Options
    whoanelly15whoanelly15 Posts: 737
    Light Years
    I love love love Light Years. 
    Hard choice between Light Years and Present Tense. I don't think I will be able to vote in the next round. 

All that. Hate having to vote off Binaural's representative. Had it been Sleight of Hand or Grievance, I'd have voted off Present Tense, which would have been almost just as painful.
  • Options
    pistol3pistol3 CO Posts: 159
    Present Tense
    KP278376 said:
    Man, going to be sad to see Present Tense go
    Man I'm going to be happy to see the 7th best song on No Code go.  Is there a song with less energy?  I'm just not quite to the "I'm literally not going to move" phase of Pearl Jam concerts, as 5 of my last 6 attended have been.  But, if I was, I can see the allure of that one.
    VA Beach 8/3/00, Council Bluffs 6/13/03, St. Paul 6/16/03, East Troy 6/21/03, The Gorge 7/22/06, 7/23/06, Chicago 8/23/09, KC 5/3/10, St. Louis 5/4/10, Dublin 6/22/10, Belfast 6/23/10, London 6/25/10, EV Minneapolis 7/2/11, EV Tulsa 11/18/12, Chicago 7/19/13, OKC 11/16/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Pemberton 7/17/16, Missoula 8/13/18, San Diego 5/3/22
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,204
    Light Years
    I've never understood why Corduroy, RVM and GTF are such fan favorites. They constantly get called the "definitive" PJ song even though none of them have the classic Stone/Ed combo. 
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,873
    Light Years
    RiotZact said:
    I've never understood why Corduroy, RVM and GTF are such fan favorites. They constantly get called the "definitive" PJ song even though none of them have the classic Stone/Ed combo. 
    I don't know about definitive but they are all awesome.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Light Years
    JimmyV said:
    Of the choices we have I think Corduroy gets my vote to win with Given To Fly coming in second. Anything else will feel like we got it wrong.

Ditto.  Though I think it will come down to RVM vs Corduroy.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,830
    Light Years
    RiotZact said:
    When they are played at the next show you are at look around and I think you'll understand why.  

What would be "classic" stone/ed in your opinion?  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,298
    Release
    RiotZact said:
    That was a pretty brief era in the band's history. A lot of ten, some vs, and scattered random tracks since
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    pistol3pistol3 CO Posts: 159
    Present Tense
    RiotZact said:
    Anything that gets the crowd moving, which Corduroy does big time, makes sense to me.  And I personally love the fuck you that RVM brings.  The band might be in their 50's, but they get after it.  I'm much more into seeing McCready crank it out than Stone.  Stone is the rhythm, and sometimes leads.  He has his place, but no one has him on their greatest guitarist list (that I've seen).
    VA Beach 8/3/00, Council Bluffs 6/13/03, St. Paul 6/16/03, East Troy 6/21/03, The Gorge 7/22/06, 7/23/06, Chicago 8/23/09, KC 5/3/10, St. Louis 5/4/10, Dublin 6/22/10, Belfast 6/23/10, London 6/25/10, EV Minneapolis 7/2/11, EV Tulsa 11/18/12, Chicago 7/19/13, OKC 11/16/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Pemberton 7/17/16, Missoula 8/13/18, San Diego 5/3/22
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,734
    Just look at Fenway 2 and what Corduroy did for that show. Great slow 5 song start into Interstellar Overdrive into Corduroy. At that point the crowd told the band what kind of night we were in for. 
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Light Years
    PJNB said:
    Just look at Fenway 2 and what Corduroy did for that show. Great slow 5 song start into Interstellar Overdrive into Corduroy. At that point the crowd told the band what kind of night we were in for. 
    Interstellar into Corduroy to begin and test the levels at Third Man is something I will never forget. It was surreal.
  • Options
    Light Years
    PJNB said:
    100% agree. What do you think of the new bridge?  I m still on the fence. 
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,204
    Light Years
    mcgruff10 said:
    RiotZact said:
    When they are played at the next show you are at look around and I think you'll understand why.  

They defiantly do get the crowd going, I just don't understand what it is about those songs that causes that. Most of my interest in this topic stems from one personal experience, Baltimore 2013. The guy sitting next to me in the nose bleeds is about 30 years old, he sits for the entire concert and barley pays attention, but for Corduroy and RVM he jumps out of his seat and rocks out harder than anyone in the building. Nothing for Alive, nothing for Black, nothing for Daughter, those are the type of songs that I would have predicted this type of fan would freak out for. I guess part of it is becuase they haven't had as much overexposure on the radio as some of the other stuff, so they still seem fresh. 

And when I think of Stone/Ed I think of pretty much anything you hear on the radio minus Betterman, YL and Jeremy. I'm not saying that's my favorite I'm just saying that's the stuff that seems the most important to the bands history and would be the most likely for the bulk of the audience to get excited for.

None of this is really my opinion, most of my favorites got eliminated early. This is just me trying to be objective, and when I do that I just don't understand what it is about those 3 songs that made them find such a healthy balance between all types of PJ fans.
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    Light Years
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJNB said:
    100% agree. What do you think of the new bridge?  I m still on the fence. 
    Not too sure if you're asking everyone about this but I hate it.
  • Options
    Light Years
    RiotZact said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    RiotZact said:

They defiantly do get the crowd going, I just don't understand what it is about those songs that causes that. Most of my interest in this topic stems from one personal experience, Baltimore 2013. The guy sitting next to me in the nose bleeds is about 30 years old, he sits for the entire concert and barley pays attention, but for Corduroy and RVM he jumps out of his seat and rocks out harder than anyone in the building. Nothing for Alive, nothing for Black, nothing for Daughter, those are the type of songs that I would have predicted this type of fan would freak out for. I guess part of it is becuase they haven't had as much overexposure on the radio as some of the other stuff, so they still seem fresh. 

And when I think of Stone/Ed I think of pretty much anything you hear on the radio minus Betterman, YL and Jeremy. I'm not saying that's my favorite I'm just saying that's the stuff that seems the most important to the bands history and would be the most likely for the bulk of the audience to get excited for.

None of this is really my opinion, most of my favorites got eliminated early. This is just me trying to be objective, and when I do that I just don't understand what it is about those 3 songs that made them find such a healthy balance between all types of PJ fans.
    all good bud.  It's always awesome to hear people's opinions.  See I'd take rvm and corduroy every single show over an alive but that's just me.

Rummy,  the question was posed to everyone; I just listened to fenway 2 again and I have came to the conclusion that I hate the bridge.
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    Light Years
    mcgruff10 said:
    RiotZact said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    RiotZact said:

all good bud.  It's always awesome to hear people's opinions.  See I'd take rvm and corduroy every single show over an alive but that's just me.

Rummy,  the question was posed to everyone; I just listened to fenway 2 again and I have came to the conclusion that I hate the bridge.
    It's not so much that they slow the song down (although I'm​ not a fan of that either) but more about all the "hey ho's" EV does with the crowd. Those are bad enough in many past Not For You performances. We don't need another song brought down many levels with them.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Given To Fly
    NewJPage said:
    RiotZact said:
    That was a pretty brief era in the band's history. A lot of ten, some vs, and scattered random tracks since
    Agreed, but even still, Ten wouldn't have been Ten, and it wouldn't have been the smash hit it was without Mike and Eddie. 
    Eddie in particular.
    You can't extract him from the equation and still have Pearl Jam.  You can't extract any of them, Jeff and Stone gathered the bricks to build the house, but they built it together and it is bigger than any one or two of them.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,518
    Light Years
    brianlux said:
    Hey, at least I'm not The Lone Bad Guy this time.  :lol:
    I almost went with you.  Release imo isn't very good on the album.  Great live and one of my fav songs live.
  • Options
    whoanelly15whoanelly15 Posts: 737
    Light Years

Agree that Release is SO so much better live. I've even found that I can't listen to the remastered Ten studio version of it. Something about the level of the reverb guitar line through the chorus. Makes it sound flat/out of key. Hope I didn't just ruin that for anyone else.

I really enjoyed the Corduroy breakdown at Wrigley 13. May be wrong, but I think this was one of the first times they did that. Caught me by surprise. Crowd still sang "everything has chains..." on time, but then the slow build back into the solo was awesome. Can definitely do without the recent "hey-ho" and crowd-repeat stuff... at least on the bootlegs. ;) Not gonna lie, it's fun to sing back to Eddie Vedder though when you're in the moment at the show.

This discussion has been closed.