Options

what size uke does ed use?

mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,849
Just wondering.  I'm guessing tenor or concert but I could be wrong.  Baritone just seems way to big.   Thanks.

Mike
I'll ride the wave where it takes me......

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I think it varies.  I feel like I've seen him with Tenor and Concert, but if the thread stays alive long enough someone who knows for sure will chime in.
    I prefer a Concert uke myself, anything but soprano.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,691
    I would love to have a nice sounding ukulele (but, yeah, not a soprano).  Any recommendations for best sound and quality for the dollars?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    I have a Lanikai LKP-Tenor that I really like.  After I had the local music shop put some good strings on it, it sounds great.
    My mother-in-law got it for me from musicians friend for Christmas, it was a "starter pack" with a case and junky tuner for 150$ or $200.
    The LPK series is probably the best you are going to find in the bottom tier pricing, but I've only played a half dozen ukes so far so maybe I'm full of shit.

• Options
    It's very nice looking as well, simple but stylish and classy.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    I have a Lanikai LKP-Tenor that I really like.  After I had the local music shop put some good strings on it, it sounds great.
    My mother-in-law got it for me from musicians friend for Christmas, it was a "starter pack" with a case and junky tuner for 150$ or $200.
    The LPK series is probably the best you are going to find in the bottom tier pricing, but I've only played a half dozen ukes so far so maybe I'm full of shit.

Hey, shit or not shit, that's more than I know.  I'll check it out!

This is encouraging- from a review on Musician's Friend: " As a consumer, I was pleasantly surprised ... as a luthier, I was annoyed that these things can be made and sold so inexpensively.  Bottom Line: Yes, I would recommend this to a friend."

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    I'm also thinking tenor might be good brain work for learning a new instrument since it's tuned to G-C-E-A, as opposed to baritones which are tuned like the last 4 guitar strings- D-G-B-E.

• Options
    rgambs said:
    I think it varies.  I feel like I've seen him with Tenor and Concert, but if the thread stays alive long enough someone who knows for sure will chime in.
    Yeah a soprano is way too small for my liking.  
    Bri,  I never knew that a baritone is tuned like a guitar, very cool to know!  Thanks.!!
  • Options

brianlux said:
    rgambs said:

This is encouraging- from a review on Musician's Friend: " As a consumer, I was pleasantly surprised ... as a luthier, I was annoyed that these things can be made and sold so inexpensively.  Bottom Line: Yes, I would recommend this to a friend."

brianlux said:
    rgambs said:

Bri,

I also have a lanikai concert uke and absolutely love it.  I bought it after a trip to hawaii in 2011 and it has held up exceptionally well.  (especially after all five of my kids have shown interest in it and have dropped it on numerous occasions!)
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    I'm also thinking tenor might be good brain work for learning a new instrument since it's tuned to G-C-E-A, as opposed to baritones which are tuned like the last 4 guitar strings- D-G-B-E.
    It is good brain work, but most of the chords are really easy.
    A C chord, for instance, is only 1 note held and the rest open.
    G chord is exactly the same as D on guitar and you can do all the same add ons and take aways.

It is probably major brain work for leads, but I don't do leads so its no problem for me lol
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,282
    mcgruff10 said:
    Just wondering.  I'm guessing tenor or concert but I could be wrong.  Baritone just seems way to big.   Thanks.

Mike

All I know is that it's not the size of the uke, it's how you use it. 
  • Options
    mr bungle said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Mike

All I know is that it's not the size of the uke, it's how you use it. 
    ha ha very true.  
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,853
    i would say about 15 inches or so.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    Yeah a soprano is way too small for my liking.  
    Bri,  I never knew that a baritone is tuned like a guitar, very cool to know!  Thanks.!!
    Yeah cool, huh!  I had one for a while but it was cheap and started to fall apart.  I think if I get another I'll go with a tenor just for the brain work.

I have a mandolin that's old and pretty but really a piece of crap-- but it does challenge me a bit as it's tuned like a violin- very weird tuning after so many years of dinking around on guitar!