Options

How old is too young?

Comments

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Parents can do what they want... but personally, I have no plans to bring my kids for the foreseeable future.  My 4 year old is a 'real cool' kid and indicates passing interest if he sees me looking at a concert video or whatever.  It is just way too loud of an atmosphere... not even loud in terms of music.  Lots of intoxicated people, an aura of pot smoke... a pretty lengthy event....  Not for kids, young kids at least IMO.  How "big" of fans could they really be at a young age?   

Maybe an outdoor show on a lawn in a few years?  Like someone said, perhaps a tamer-show such as Weezer or Goo Goo Dolls or something would be better....  but I am in no hurry, really.  I couldn't go to my first concert until I was 18, really.  There are many other places I would rather expose my kids to.  Concerts are also kind of my place away from kids too. 

Also, I would rather sit next to a kid than a drunked out meat head for sure... but it still isn't ideal.  You have to wonder if the parent is one of those "watch your mouth, there are kids here" people... and you really have to watch yourself and be extra cautious/conscious.  Moving around, someone passes you a J... etc... Also, in front of me, kids sitting on shoulders is an annoying vision blockade

But everyone is different, really.  I do think a kindergartner is stretching it though, at least in an arena setting.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    deadendp said:

It isn't a cut and dry case like the driving age.  Each case is different and it is up to the parent to really tune in to their kid. It is honestly why I hate threads like this.  We, as an online community, cannot make this decision or really provide the right information for a child none of us know.  It's a parent thing.  Know your kid.  Know their limits.  Think of the community you will be with.  Make that decision on your own.  

This is one of the best comments I've read on the topic.

Personally I think 5 is WAY too young for Pearl Jam or other types of shows, but that's just my opinion (which is what the OP requested). I don't think children under 11/12 should be going to these types of shows. I saw some people at Tool this weekend with similarly aged children which I think is crazy, but that's me being judgmental, so who's right?

As long as your kid is safe, who am I to say what your child should or shouldn't be around? I don't think a PJ or Tool concert is necessarily an unsafe environment, but there are definitely elements there that I wouldn't want a child as young as 5 being exposed to, but hey, that's just my opinion.

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,820
    deadendp said:

Rob Zombie and Korn last year at Riverbend in Cincinnati.  My, then 12 year old, daughter went with us. We saw this lil one there. Sweet.  Well tended. Brought all the way to the back for RZ. 

I will stand in the "it depends on YOUR kid" camp.  We have spent our daughter's life taking her to museums, lectures, galleries and programs. She has no problem functioning with that. She does not and has never cared for crowds. 

Sometimes people (like those in the photo) have super cool kids who can function in situations most adults cannot. It happens y'all.  Some kids at concerts ARE better behaved than adults. They have never once spilled their beer on me, never knocked me off my feet and landed on me, never thrown things at me, never smoked odd substances not pot or cigarettes in front of me, never got into fights, never got violent in a pit... I can't say the same for adults in attendance at such concerts. 

Do most people hate the idea of kids at concerts?  Probably. I think that most people think of the unmanned kids running wild through the retail stores. Having witnessed many children at many metal concerts, I find that parents really tune into the abilities of their kids and the metal community embraces them.  The people know their kids can handle it. 

My kid?  She was a wait until 12 kid, but she has been in museums and asking questions at lectures since she was three.  Crowds just aren't her thing.  

It isn't a cut and dry case like the driving age.  Each case is different and it is up to the parent to really tune in to their kid. It is honestly why I hate threads like this.  We, as an online community, cannot make this decision or really provide the right information for a child none of us know.  It's a parent thing.  Know your kid.  Know their limits.  Think of the community you will be with.  Make that decision on your own.  
    while I agree with your last paragraph for the most part, I don't think it's out of bounds to ask the community their thoughts in case there is anything the OP hasn't already thought of. that's what I get from these threads. Just added input. But inevitibly, the OP usually gets pounced on for even suggesting letting their kid experience anything out of what is considered "acceptable" by those who market products/services to them. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    Our 13 year old niece is going with her Father and I to GN'R in August. She'll be able to handle it just fine and I'll be in "Protective Uncle" mode. Her Dad is a mountain of a man, so we should be good. At first I was a little apprehensive about it. Especially being that we have floor tix. Hopefully we'll be able to find a nice spot. 

Honestly, the drunken idiots have kept me from attending more shows the last few years. The older I get, the less patience I have for them. At RHCP last month some dude wouldn't shut the fuck up and leave me alone. I swear, I'm somehow a magnet to these idiots. Thank goodness there's live recordings nowadays. I can enjoy shows whenever I feel like it and not deal with the hassle.
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,524
    edited May 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'm not sure why people focus on if the kid will remember it or not. if that was the criteria, disney world would be empty. they might not have a consious memory of it, but the bonding over live music will remain, like anything else you do with your kid pre-9 years old. and it just may influence their musical tastes in the future. 
    It's just different in my mind. Disney world is for little kids. Concerts are not. Some things can be better appreciated by little kids than others. Obviously everyone knows that experiences early in life contribute to the person they'll be. What I meant was that a 5 year old can't appreciate a concert for what it is in the mind of the parent. It doesn't seem like something that can be adequately "shared" between an adult a 5 year old. Anyway, I don't think little kids and concerts mix well. They simply don't seem like atmospheres that are appropriate for a 5 year old. Drugs, booze, excessively loud music, potentially rowdy crowds, profanity, ends late at night - that all equals "not for kids" in my mind. 
    well, my 7 year old loved the weezer show, and she keeps asking when i can take her to pj. 

saying 'concerts are not for little kids' is an opinion, not a fact. would i have taken her back in the day of smoking in arenas? no. would have i have taken her to a motley crue show? obviously not. that's why i chose weezer, because, besides a few of the lyrics that will go over her head anyway, i knew she'd dig the music. 

again, it could be argued the same way that monster truck rallies are not for little kids either, bunch of drunks yelling GRAAAAVEDIGGGGER while spilling their beer all over someone isn't what i call a kid's atmosphere. neither, mind you, is a sporting event, with people screaming 'motherfucker' at the ref at the top of their lungs and drinking like it's going out of style. yet, you see kids at those everywhere. 

why are people ragging on concerts?
    I know it's an opinion. What else would it be?? This entire topic is completely subjective, clearly, and that would explain why I peppered my comments with things like "I think" and "in my mind".
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'm not sure why people focus on if the kid will remember it or not. if that was the criteria, disney world would be empty. they might not have a consious memory of it, but the bonding over live music will remain, like anything else you do with your kid pre-9 years old. and it just may influence their musical tastes in the future. 
    It's just different in my mind. Disney world is for little kids. Concerts are not. Some things can be better appreciated by little kids than others. Obviously everyone knows that experiences early in life contribute to the person they'll be. What I meant was that a 5 year old can't appreciate a concert for what it is in the mind of the parent. It doesn't seem like something that can be adequately "shared" between an adult a 5 year old. Anyway, I don't think little kids and concerts mix well. They simply don't seem like atmospheres that are appropriate for a 5 year old. Drugs, booze, excessively loud music, potentially rowdy crowds, profanity, ends late at night - that all equals "not for kids" in my mind. 
    well, my 7 year old loved the weezer show, and she keeps asking when i can take her to pj. 

saying 'concerts are not for little kids' is an opinion, not a fact. would i have taken her back in the day of smoking in arenas? no. would have i have taken her to a motley crue show? obviously not. that's why i chose weezer, because, besides a few of the lyrics that will go over her head anyway, i knew she'd dig the music. 

again, it could be argued the same way that monster truck rallies are not for little kids either, bunch of drunks yelling GRAAAAVEDIGGGGER while spilling their beer all over someone isn't what i call a kid's atmosphere. neither, mind you, is a sporting event, with people screaming 'motherfucker' at the ref at the top of their lungs and drinking like it's going out of style. yet, you see kids at those everywhere. 

I know it's an opinion. What else would it be?? This entire topic is completely subjective, clearly, and that would explain why I peppered my comments with things like "I think" and "in my mind".
    fair enough. you just often come off as so sure of yourself sometimes that the opposing opinion is indisputible, that's all. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    I took my son to Cincinnati in 2014 and it was fine.  Granted that was in the seats and not GA which I would not of taken him into GA.  He was 10 at the time.  He will probably go to MMJ with me in August.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,524
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

fair enough. you just often come off as so sure of yourself sometimes that the opposing opinion is indisputible, that's all. 
    I'll take that as a compliment, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I'll take that as a compliment, lol.
    You two...
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,000
    It just depends. My parents took me to concerts at the fair at probably 3 or 4. I would do that with my kids. I wouldn't take them to a PJ show until he's probably 12. Crowd is part of it, material is also part of it. Some shows can have adult material. Which is fine, but if you don't take your kid to see an R movie, probably should wait on a concert.
  • Options
    I would never take my kids to a Headstones show, for example. every second word out of Hugh Dillon's mouth is "mother******". Plus they have one song called Fuck It and one called Fuck You, and they play both regularly. But I'll take her to a beach festival that the watchmen are playing at. it's family oriented, outdoors, and at the cottage! And kids are free with adult admission! and on my birthday weekend and holidays! can't ask for much better than that! 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    NoleeNolee Saskatchewan, Canada Posts: 66
    But I'll take her to a beach festival that the watchmen are playing at. it's family oriented, outdoors, and at the cottage! And kids are free with adult admission! and on my birthday weekend and holidays! can't ask for much better than that! 

Aw man, there's one of the things I have really missed about living in Winnipeg, is getting to see the Watchmen play! I used to ride the same transit bus as Danny from time to time - never had the guts to talk to him though, hehe =)
    ~ Gimli, MB "Mudfest" 1993
    ~ Edmonton, AB 2005
    ~ Winnipeg, MB 2011
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    My 2 year old has been to 2 PJ shows and a Todd Snider and friends show at Pisgah Brewery.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    pbultimatepbultimate Posts: 586
    rgambs said:
    My 2 year old has been to 2 PJ shows and a Todd Snider and friends show at Pisgah Brewery.
    Whats his/her opinion of the shows?

This is a ridiculous thread and i cant believe it gets discussed every time. 
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,421
    rgambs said:

What's a two year olds opinion of anything?  By that logic we should leave kids home and never take them anywhere. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rgambs said:

I don't know, but we all had a blast at all three!
    Probably going to the Pilgrimage Fest to see Eddie too, I'll let you know when he writes his review.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    rgambs said:

What's a two year olds opinion of anything?  By that logic we should leave kids home and never take them anywhere. 

It is a valid question pbultimate as the poster you responded to mentioned his very own child in the discussion. 
  • Options
    rgambs said:

It's ridiculous when babies are being brought to a Pearl Jam concert.
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    edited May 2017
    I don't want to speak for the others here, but to me there's a romantic aspect to it. Father and son going to ballgames moves plenty of men to tears. Me included. 
    For me, Pearl Jam is where I really found my individual self and place in the world and I want to share that with my son. We're not guaranteed tomorrow in this world and when my time is up, my son can know that he spent time with me at my favorite thing (that doesn't involve family) Even if his memories of it are vague, knowing that we shared the experience is what will live on long after I'm gone. 
    Post edited by ledvedderman on
  • Options
    I don't want to speak for the others here, but to me there's a romantic aspect to it. Father and son going to ballgames moves plenty of men to tears. Me included. 
    For me, Pearl Jam is where I really found my individual self and place in the world and I want to share that with my son. We're not guaranteed tomorrow in this world and when my time is up, my son can know that he spent time with me at my favorite thing (that doesn't involve family) Even if his memories of it are vague, knowing that we shared the experience is what will live on long after I'm gone. 
    excellently said. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Nolee said:
    But I'll take her to a beach festival that the watchmen are playing at. it's family oriented, outdoors, and at the cottage! And kids are free with adult admission! and on my birthday weekend and holidays! can't ask for much better than that! 

Aw man, there's one of the things I have really missed about living in Winnipeg, is getting to see the Watchmen play! I used to ride the same transit bus as Danny from time to time - never had the guts to talk to him though, hehe =)
    awesome. he's super standoffish. not in a dick way, just very shy. Ken Tizzard invited me to the soudcheck the day of their first Burton Cummings Theatre show a couple years back, and so there was a meet and greet that I got to be involved in along with some radio contest winners, and I was trying to talk to Danny and he kept pacing back and forth just sort of barely answering my questions. I wasn't fanboying, or grilling him, just talking to him like I talked to Joey and Sammy and Ken. The rest of th eguys were completley normal human beings, and seemed to enjoy my engagement of their music. But Danny was acting like a mental patient. LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Awesome post! I was thinking about this a bit more - the dissenters in this discussion, are you coming from a real place of compassion and concern for a 2-3 year old attending a Pearl Jam show? A place of insane jealousy that said kid and parent might end up near the stage and get something from the band (an acknowledgement or pic, or drumstick)? What? I wonder about how people's own personal shit drives their opinions.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    MayDay10 said:

Maybe an outdoor show on a lawn in a few years?  Like someone said, perhaps a tamer-show such as Weezer or Goo Goo Dolls or something would be better....  but I am in no hurry, really. 
    If you take your child to a Goo Goo Dolls concert, I'm reporting you to child services.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    MayDay10 said:

Maybe an outdoor show on a lawn in a few years?  Like someone said, perhaps a tamer-show such as Weezer or Goo Goo Dolls or something would be better....  but I am in no hurry, really. 
    If you take your child to a Goo Goo Dolls concert, I'm reporting you to child services.
    :lol:
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    dlymnflddlymnfld CT Posts: 917
    edited May 2017
    I find myself in a similar precarious situation. I have front row center tickets to Amos Lee (soulful mellow singer similar to Ray Lamontagne and comparable to EV solo show) at a small venue (Capital Center for the Arts in Concord, NH) and my wife now can't go as she's no longer going on vacation with me, my kids and my parents. So my choices of music companions are; A. My 70 year old mother who casually likes music (I think her last show was Neil Diamond in 1980), B. My 12 year old daughter who has been to her share of outside festivals geared towards kids like Life is Good Festival, Gathering of the Vibes, etc. but could care less about Amos Lee as she's into typical pre-teen Twenty One Pilots Imagine Dragon music or C. My 8 year old daughter who likes the same type of music as me as her favorite two bands are The Lumineers and The Head and the Heart and is begging me to go? My dilemma is my mother would go and appreciate the music and setting but be clueless, my oldest would go and be fine but not appreciate either and my youngest would be a wildcard and could love it or be bored in five minutes. I personally now wish I just bought one ticket as being a parent, I agree with the consensus that outside festivals are the  best setting for kids. 
    Post edited by dlymnfld on
    Springfield 4/6/94, Boston 4/6/94, Hartford 10/2/96, New York 9/11/98, Hartford 9/13/98, Mansfield 8/30/00, Boston 9/28/04, Reading 10/1/04, Quebec City 9/20/05, Boston 5/24/06, Hartford 5/13/06, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08 Philadelphia 10/31/09, Hartford 10/15/10,
    Boston 10/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11, East Troy 9/4/11, Missoula 9/30/12, Worcester 10/15/13, Hartford 10/25/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13,
    St. Paul 10/19/14, New York 9/26/15, Quebec City 5/5/16, Boston 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18, Boston 9/4/18, Quebec City 9/1/22, Camden 9/14/22, Oklahoma City 9/20/22 
  • Options
    NoleeNolee Saskatchewan, Canada Posts: 66
    Nolee said:

I was trying to talk to Danny and he kept pacing back and forth just sort of barely answering my questions. I wasn't fanboying, or grilling him, just talking to him like I talked to Joey and Sammy and Ken. The rest of th eguys were completley normal human beings, and seemed to enjoy my engagement of their music. But Danny was acting like a mental patient. LOL
    I think that was maybe why I never approached him, he always gave off that needed his space kinda vibe, and I am the same on the bus so I understood - headphones in, music cranked, gettin' to where I needed to go :) Ahhh, I miss the BC theatre too - saw many great shows there! It's been too long since I was in Winnipeg :P
    ~ Gimli, MB "Mudfest" 1993
    ~ Edmonton, AB 2005
    ~ Winnipeg, MB 2011
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,087
    I think there are a lot of variables that go into this decision.  Some of which has been mentioned:

1) Time of the show
    2) Venue (space and whether or not it is a more intimate theater/seated experience)
    3) Crowd (age...availability of alcohol/drugs)
    4) Type of music (mainly due to noise)

I have an almost 10 year old daughter.  She has been to 4 concerts so far.  Her earliest was an Eddie Vedder concert in Ft Lauderdale.  She was pretty young (6), but the concert had been rescheduled and happened to be the day we got off a cruise...so we stayed and went.  She had child earmuffs on, a comfy seat and it was in a nice theater...and a more quiet show until Hard Sun.  She enjoyed herself for a while, fell alseep 6-8 songs in and never woke up.  I'll be honest, she was there mostly cause I wanted to go, but I also thought it was cool to share something I love with her in a setting that was more appropriate then a PJ concert in my opinion.  Since then she has seen Lisa Loeb in a theater and then the last 1.5 years has seen Taylor Swift (that was for her) and Twenty One Pilots.  I still wonder if she is old enough for a true Rock show....but I do think she is close.  She's a mature little girl and wears her hearing protection.  I don;t expect anyone around us to change their behavior other than maybe be a little more careful about not spilling beer or falling over into her.  

I think I may try to take her to PJ next tour, but only if she wants to.  She likes concerts a lot and has enjoyed them, but she also knows she may not want to sit through it all.  So if she thinks that, she decides she doesn't want to go.  And I realize as a parent that if I take her, there may be a reason I need to leave early.  So if I'm not willing to do that, I wouldn't take her.  I'm not going to force her to sit there....counterproductive when I'm trying to get her to appreciate love music.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,822
    At the recent festival I attended, I was not too far from a mom and her kid who was maybe 7.  The festival setting actually made some sense...they had their share of space in a decent location to the side.  I looked like it was working out.  She obviously would not have been able to indulge fantasies about leaning on the rail, but it seemed to work OK.

And Soundgarden was the headliner; five days before Cornell's death.  It was the kid's only chance.  

For a PJ show, sure...not GA (unless you're willing to hang out at the side/back, but why not?   Of course I say this as someone that has no kids (nor desire to have any). I don't know what kind of parenting has to come in with all the debauchery that occurs at a show.  My PJ experience has been pretty good overall, though I did sit about five seats down from someone who passed out for the majority of the show.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    OnWis97 said:
    My PJ experience has been pretty good overall, though I did sit about five seats down from someone who passed out for the majority of the show.
    Don't accept cookies from strangers.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,687
    My opinion is five years old is too young to take to a rock show.  My first show happened when I was 12 or 13 and that was just the right time.  But of course I wouldn't make it a rule or tell someone what to do.  My only advice is have the kid wear these and know how to seat them in the ears properly:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

This discussion has been closed.