Options

How old is too young?

Comments

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,430
    Bad behavior, unfortunately, is all over in society not just at rock concerts.  Every time I'm out with my kids and we see someone acting like an idiot we have a discussion about the behavior and why you don't want to be THAT guy.   It's a great conversation starter and them getting to see someone being an idiot is a great learning experience.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    on2legs said:
    Bad behavior, unfortunately, is all over in society not just at rock concerts.  Every time I'm out with my kids and we see someone acting like an idiot we have a discussion about the behavior and why you don't want to be THAT guy.   It's a great conversation starter and them getting to see someone being an idiot is a great learning experience.  
    It's not about bad bahaviour for me. It's just about an atmosphere not appropriate for children to be stuck in for 3 hours, late at night, in general. The possibility of some jackass being a jackass is higher at a concert than out in the normal world of course, but whatever - all things considered, it just isn't for kids IMHO. Also, I have no clue why any parents would actually want their 5 year old there in the first place, lol. What a pain in the ass. Aaaaand that's why I don't have kids. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    on2legs said:
    I have 4 kids and they're all different.  Some would have a blast at a show and a couple would drive me crazy.  I think it depends on the kid but 5 does seem young.  But if you have a really mature kid with a long attention span then I say go for it.  But be prepared you might have to leave early or spending the whole night shuffling them to the snack bar and bathroom. 
    Is number five on the way?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    on2legs said:
    I have 4 kids and they're all different.  Some would have a blast at a show and a couple would drive me crazy.  I think it depends on the kid but 5 does seem young.  But if you have a really mature kid with a long attention span then I say go for it.  But be prepared you might have to leave early or spending the whole night shuffling them to the snack bar and bathroom. 
    Lol.  If I hit the lottery then I'm all in.  Otherwise... no.  They are just too expensive :smiley:
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    5 is too young unless you are trying to get a tambourine...only then is it OK
  • Options
    5 is too young unless you are trying to get a tambourine...only then is it OK
    It's manadatory if you are in need of a tambourine. 

• Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    edited May 2017
    i signed up my 3 year old nephew to the fan club for many reasons
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    on2legs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    on2legs said:
    Lol.  If I hit the lottery then I'm all in.  Otherwise... no.  They are just too expensive :smiley:
    Stop making excuses and work some ot!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    edited May 2017
    Pearl jam concerts are for ages 13-70

Its in the handbook

Giving one a tambourine is an old Hawaiian ritual that actual means "go away"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    MayDay10 said:
    Pearl jam concerts are for ages 13-70

Its in the handbook

Giving one a tambourine is an old Hawaiian ritual that actual means "go away"
    :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'm not sure why people focus on if the kid will remember it or not. if that was the criteria, disney world would be empty. they might not have a consious memory of it, but the bonding over live music will remain, like anything else you do with your kid pre-9 years old. and it just may influence their musical tastes in the future. 
    It's just different in my mind. Disney world is for little kids. Concerts are not. Some things can be better appreciated by little kids than others. Obviously everyone knows that experiences early in life contribute to the person they'll be. What I meant was that a 5 year old can't appreciate a concert for what it is in the mind of the parent. It doesn't seem like something that can be adequately "shared" between an adult a 5 year old. Anyway, I don't think little kids and concerts mix well. They simply don't seem like atmospheres that are appropriate for a 5 year old. Drugs, booze, excessively loud music, potentially rowdy crowds, profanity, ends late at night - that all equals "not for kids" in my mind. 
    well, my 7 year old loved the weezer show, and she keeps asking when i can take her to pj. 

saying 'concerts are not for little kids' is an opinion, not a fact. would i have taken her back in the day of smoking in arenas? no. would have i have taken her to a motley crue show? obviously not. that's why i chose weezer, because, besides a few of the lyrics that will go over her head anyway, i knew she'd dig the music. 

again, it could be argued the same way that monster truck rallies are not for little kids either, bunch of drunks yelling GRAAAAVEDIGGGGER while spilling their beer all over someone isn't what i call a kid's atmosphere. neither, mind you, is a sporting event, with people screaming 'motherfucker' at the ref at the top of their lungs and drinking like it's going out of style. yet, you see kids at those everywhere. 

why are people ragging on concerts?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    seems like most of the people saying 'no kids at shows' are the people without kids. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJ_Soul said:
    on2legs said:
    It's not about bad bahaviour for me. It's just about an atmosphere not appropriate for children to be stuck in for 3 hours, late at night, in general. The possibility of some jackass being a jackass is higher at a concert than out in the normal world of course, but whatever - all things considered, it just isn't for kids IMHO. Also, I have no clue why any parents would actually want their 5 year old there in the first place, lol. What a pain in the ass. Aaaaand that's why I don't have kids. :lol:
    Not for wimpy kids at least lol
    Parents take their kids for the same reason people take their romantic partner, because everything joyful is better when you share it with the most important people to you.
    And because sometimes it's hard to find someone to babysit lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    on2legs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    on2legs said:
    Stop making excuses and work some ot!
    I'd like to retire before I'm 80 :tired_face:

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,162
    PJ_Soul said:
    on2legs said:
    I also don't have kids, but from what I've seen amogst friends it's often hard to arrange for care of kids, so sometimes it's considered easier to bring the kid to whatever your doing, but then whatever you were doing because 5x as difficult because you brough
    seems like most of the people saying 'no kids at shows' are the people without kids. 
    I tend to think it depends on the kid.    At age 5 I'm guessing there's less kids that are chill enough to deal with the experience, and more kids that would have a tough time with it.   If as a parent someone can guage what kind of kid they've got, and it's a good call, then try it.   Maybe try a smaller concert first.    If you've got one of the other kids, don't bother trying :)

I figure it's like flying.  Sure there's that 1 in 10 kid who sleeps through the flight without a peep, but then there's all the other ones :)
  • Options
    StixumStixum Chicago, IL Posts: 32
    I'd rather sit or stand next to a kid than a drunk obnoxious evenbro.  Just sayin'   =)
    2009 - Chicago
    2010 - NY 2
    2012 - Music Midtown
    2013 - Charlotte, LA 1, LA 2, Wrigley
    2014 - St Louis, ACL Fest 2
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Columbia, Ottawa, Toronto, Fenway 1, Fenway 2, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2, San Fran 2 (TOTD), LA (TOTD)
    2017 - Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
    2018 - London 1, London 2, Padova, Seattle 2, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2021 - Ohana 1
    2022 - Las Vegas, Nashville, St. Louis
    2023 - St. Paul 1, St. Paul 2, Chicago 1, Chicago 2, Noblesville
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Stixum said:
    I'd rather sit or stand next to a kid than a drunk obnoxious evenbro.  Just sayin'   =)
    This guy gets it. And I think most fans would rather sit next to my kid than me. He's cool as shit. You definitely want him in front of you and not me, though. He's in the low 4' range and I'm 6'5" and I like to stand during shows. See? Kids are better than a twenty plus year member of 10C. Thankfully I'm no Evenbro. Haha! What an awesome term. And so true. 
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,197
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'm not sure why people focus on if the kid will remember it or not. if that was the criteria, disney world would be empty. they might not have a consious memory of it, but the bonding over live music will remain, like anything else you do with your kid pre-9 years old. and it just may influence their musical tastes in the future. 
    It's just different in my mind. Disney world is for little kids. Concerts are not. Some things can be better appreciated by little kids than others. Obviously everyone knows that experiences early in life contribute to the person they'll be. What I meant was that a 5 year old can't appreciate a concert for what it is in the mind of the parent. It doesn't seem like something that can be adequately "shared" between an adult a 5 year old. Anyway, I don't think little kids and concerts mix well. They simply don't seem like atmospheres that are appropriate for a 5 year old. Drugs, booze, excessively loud music, potentially rowdy crowds, profanity, ends late at night - that all equals "not for kids" in my mind. 
    well, my 7 year old loved the weezer show, and she keeps asking when i can take her to pj. 

saying 'concerts are not for little kids' is an opinion, not a fact. would i have taken her back in the day of smoking in arenas? no. would have i have taken her to a motley crue show? obviously not. that's why i chose weezer, because, besides a few of the lyrics that will go over her head anyway, i knew she'd dig the music. 

again, it could be argued the same way that monster truck rallies are not for little kids either, bunch of drunks yelling GRAAAAVEDIGGGGER while spilling their beer all over someone isn't what i call a kid's atmosphere. neither, mind you, is a sporting event, with people screaming 'motherfucker' at the ref at the top of their lungs and drinking like it's going out of style. yet, you see kids at those everywhere. 

a 5 year old should be home in bed at 9:00 pm let alone 11:00-12:00 when a show is over.
  • Options
    yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    PJ_Soul said:

I would say a monster truck rally shouldn't be attended by ANYONE regardless of age.
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,391
    yield2me said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I would say a monster truck rally shouldn't be attended by ANYONE regardless of age.
    And WWE... 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:

a 5 year old should be home in bed at 9:00 pm let alone 11:00-12:00 when a show is over.
    yeah, cuz every single kid fits into your neat little box. the show i took my 7 year old to was over at 11 or so. she was up and at em the next morning for school,and then after school for her guitar lesson without so much as a complaint. she had more gusto than i did, actually. 

people take their kids of that age and younger to midnight fucking mass on christmas and then stay up all night eating and opening presents. 

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Hahaha what, do they turn into a pumpkin at 9:30?
    That's just a silly and arbitrary deadline that has no reason backing it.  
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

Rob Zombie and Korn last year at Riverbend in Cincinnati.  My, then 12 year old, daughter went with us. We saw this lil one there. Sweet.  Well tended. Brought all the way to the back for RZ. 

I will stand in the "it depends on YOUR kid" camp.  We have spent our daughter's life taking her to museums, lectures, galleries and programs. She has no problem functioning with that. She does not and has never cared for crowds. 

Sometimes people (like those in the photo) have super cool kids who can function in situations most adults cannot. It happens y'all.  Some kids at concerts ARE better behaved than adults. They have never once spilled their beer on me, never knocked me off my feet and landed on me, never thrown things at me, never smoked odd substances not pot or cigarettes in front of me, never got into fights, never got violent in a pit... I can't say the same for adults in attendance at such concerts. 

Do most people hate the idea of kids at concerts?  Probably. I think that most people think of the unmanned kids running wild through the retail stores. Having witnessed many children at many metal concerts, I find that parents really tune into the abilities of their kids and the metal community embraces them.  The people know their kids can handle it. 

My kid?  She was a wait until 12 kid, but she has been in museums and asking questions at lectures since she was three.  Crowds just aren't her thing.  

It isn't a cut and dry case like the driving age.  Each case is different and it is up to the parent to really tune in to their kid. It is honestly why I hate threads like this.  We, as an online community, cannot make this decision or really provide the right information for a child none of us know.  It's a parent thing.  Know your kid.  Know their limits.  Think of the community you will be with.  Make that decision on your own.  
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Stixum said:
    This guy gets it. And I think most fans would rather sit next to my kid than me. He's cool as shit. You definitely want him in front of you and not me, though. He's in the low 4' range and I'm 6'5" and I like to stand during shows. See? Kids are better than a twenty plus year member of 10C. Thankfully I'm no Evenbro. Haha! What an awesome term. And so true. 
    My one and only contribution to this forum. You're welcome! Hahaha! @mfc2006 #evenbros
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,197
    rgambs said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:

no one who advocates for children in the medical profession would think it's a good idea for a 5 year old to be at a rock concert between the hours of 9:00 pm and midnight.  if you can show me at least one then i'll change my position.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    rgambs said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:

no one who advocates for children in the medical profession would think it's a good idea for a 5 year old to be at a rock concert between the hours of 9:00 pm and midnight.  if you can show me at least one then i'll change my position.
    Every night? No good. 

Once a year? No problem. 

• Options
    pjhawks said:
    rgambs said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Haha does my wife count, she's a licensed limited physician.
    I understand where you are coming from, but 9 o clock bedtimes are about structure, routine, and getting adequate sleep on a regular basis.  In fact, going to bed at 9 in the summer when it is still light out probably has a (miniscule) negative effect of the circadian rhythm and sleep health.
    An occasional late night is not detrimental to the health or psychology of a child.

Loud noises are mitigated, drunk and rowdy people, swearing, the smell of pot...oh well.  Kids are adaptable and they adjust to whatever they are exposed to.  Some people don't see any of that as a big deal, everybody is different.  I would rather my child be exposed to that sort of behaviour than some of the stuff that goes on in Sunday school!  
    I take my kid camping in the wilderness, some people want to tell me that's irresponsible, while they drop their kid off at daycare with strangers.

It's not that there aren't any wrong answers in parenting, there surely are, but the conventional do's and don'ts aren't always rooted in sense and safety.

• Options
    this argument is becoming ridiculous. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,301
    this argument is becoming ridiculous. 
    I do not think it is "bad" to bring the kid to a show.  I will not do any damage to the kid (as long as ears are protected).  They will be fine.  I just don't know why anyone would want to hang out with a 5 year old at a concert.  I go to concerts (very rarely at this point) to get AWAY from my 5 and 3 year olds!
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495
    If you have to ask, you know the answer. 

This discussion has been closed.