Options

How old is too young?

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    dago1976 said: 
    Hello everyone. Need some feedback here. As summer 2017 is right around the corner, I'm considering toking my 5 year old to a concert or two. Does anyone feel this is too young of a age for my daughter to go? Just looking for some feedback as I have no one else to ask and any comments on what would be a good age?  Thanks a bunch
    Steve
    I think something else is on your mind.  No autocorrect says that word.  Leave her at home man.
    Speak for yourself.
    My doctor's autocorrect probably does lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,210
    Their more than likely not going to remember. I personally think it's too young. 
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,369
    I don't have kids, but have seen many who bring the little ones...pay for a ticket, and the kid wants to go after 10 minute. IF THAT'S WHAT YOU WANT...then please bring them.  Just be a good parent and attend to their needs over yours (since I see too many that don't).

• Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    no turds please. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    joseph33 said:
    Their more than likely not going to remember. I personally think it's too young. 
    i remember very little of our big family vacations when i was 7 and 9. should my parents have left me at home? it's not about memories, it's about experiencing the moment. 

it brought a tear to my eye when my daughter, not even aware i was watching her, was bopping her head along to the music at weezer. she loved, i loved it, it won't matter that she won't recall most of it. i don't recall most of my shows either, except that i know it was a good time. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Parents & non-parents telling other parents to be 'good parents'. Only on the Porch! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,678
    Honestly, a 5 yr old shouldn't be at a rock concert at 11 pm at night. It's not a proper place. If you want to spend time with your 5 yr old, take them to a zoo, read them a book or go to jamboree. It's a foolish topic and honestly, I love kids, they are great but a rock concert is not the right place for a 5 yr old. 
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,975
    I have taken my daughter to shows when friends were playing. Small places, mostly outside and no bars. She is two and a half years old. She absolutely loves going and she sings and dances the whole time. 

That said, I watch her very closely. It's easier to do due to the nature of the venues and the small crowd. I wouldn't take her to see PJ because of the size of the crowd, the general atmosphere of drunken jocks and the language. 

That's just my opinion. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Honestly, a 5 yr old shouldn't be at a rock concert at 11 pm at night. It's not a proper place. If you want to spend time with your 5 yr old, take them to a zoo, read them a book or go to jamboree. It's a foolish topic and honestly, I love kids, they are great but a rock concert is not the right place for a 5 yr old. 
    Try to remember that this is just your opinion, it is not objective fact.
    Some people believe in exposing their children to the world to a high degree, some people believe in protecting their children from certain situations.
    One approach is not the correct one, the correct one is the one that works for a given family.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    rgambs said:
    Try to remember that this is just your opinion, it is not objective fact.
    Some people believe in exposing their children to the world to a high degree, some people believe in protecting their children from certain situations.
    One approach is not the correct one, the correct one is the one that works for a given family.
    Okay but the OP asked us for our opinions so that is what's being given here.
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Maybe we should just go with the "don't tell me to parent and I won't tell you how to" method. 
    If you're a concert goer without a child and seeing a well behaved young child there somehow impacts your time- that's your problem. 
    If you're a concert goer with your child and you take your proper parenting hat off and allow your child's actions to impact the others around you- don't get upset when people call you out on it. 
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,243
    edited May 2017
    Speaking as a Parent of two boys (4 & 8), I don't think it's a problem. You as a parent will know best if it will be a good fit for them based on their temperament. We've been taking our kids to concerts since before they could walk. You just strap on the Ergo and be ready to get up and walk out once in awhile if they get fussy. I've found that indoor venues are more difficult based on lack of ability to move around, but outdoor amphitheatres or no seating shows are excellent.

Based on some people's opinions, then going to a ball game, wedding dance or any social occasion would also be a bad idea, but kids love it as much as adults.

To those stating they won't remember it, obviously you're not a parent. I'm sure kids under 5 also don't remember parents yelling at them or never holding them either, but that has a long term effect on them emotionally and psychologically. Fun and loving activities will affect them positively even if they don't remember. Take them if it works for you. Who cares if you get the glances and mumbles for doing so. Other people's opinion against it shouldn't hold you back in this situation.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Yeah, they asked our opinion. Keep the snotty germ carriers home.
  • Options
    AlexanaAlexana Posts: 66
    I started taking my oldest to shows when she was 5.  She is now 7 and has been to a half dozen with five on the schedule for this summer.  Her sister has gone to several shows, all outdoors with the exception of 1.  They wear heavy ear protection and the only major problem is bathrooms (would be less of a problem if you had a son...) 

For the most part, I have gotten positive reactions from people around me, but every once in a while we get raging glares.  For outdoor shows we sit in the family section on the lawn (no smoking or drinking), and it is fine.  For the rare indoor shows we always hang towards the back. 

I find that my enjoyment of a show changes because I am spending 70% of my attention watching my kids versus the show but I also enjoy exposing my kids to live music.  The best advice I can give is that you have to operate on their schedules and when they get too tired to continue, you leave.  Three weeks ago we took them to a show and at 9:30 they got hyper, emotional, whiny, and spastic simultaneously.  There is no simple answer... it just comes down to what you want and your comfort level.  Screw what other people think and just look at your kid honestly and think about whether they are mature enough for that environment.  In my opinion, when I bring my kid to a show they are my responsibility to ensure their safety and comfort and I never try to impose on anyone's enjoyment because "hey, there is a kid here". 

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,243
    Yeah, they asked our opinion. Keep the snotty germ carriers home.
    Hmmm, pretty sure I'd prefer to be next to a snotty germ carrier (aren't we all?) than a raging drunk asshole.  How about leaving your child hating attitude at home. Has a child ruined a concert for you? I hope so based on your statements.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    outdoor shows with lawn seating yes
    arena rock show no unless maybe you have a box/suite
    my son is 12 and I am taking him to his first arena show in September (Paul McCartney)
    I have a feeling my 9 year old daughter might want to go to jingle ball or some other pop stuff before she is 12-we shall see
  • Options
    it's funny,a concert is deemed by some as a no no, because of alcohol, drunkenness, loudness, etc, but it's perfectly acceptable to bring them to monster truck rallies, which are marketed towards kids. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I think 6 yrs old should be the cut off age wise.
  • Options
    Stickman24Stickman24 Posts: 210
    I berifly considered taking my oldest daughter(6) to the first philly shown last year  but decided against it.  I'll wait till she's 10ish.  Hopefully there's shows to go to.  
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,301
    I wouldn't do it. My kids wouldn't enjoy it and neither would I. A concert should be a break from a 5 year old 
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    To each their own but I wouldn't. I think they really need to wait until they are older. There are too many people there swearing, fighting or just acting like complete dicks. My kids aren't use to that kind of behaviour and it's just not worth the risk of them being frightened or hurt. Totally not judging anyone that does, it's up to them but that's just how I am with my own. 
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Options
    NoleeNolee Saskatchewan, Canada Posts: 66
    I think it *totally* depends on the kid. :)  Can they go to the theatre and sit through a movie? Are you going to spend the entire night running back and forth to washrooms that might have huge lineups? Will you be able to bring in snacks for the inevitable "I'm hunnnngry", LOL! If not, then a concert as long, loud, bright and busy as Pearl Jam's tend to be, it might be too much. We took DD to Weird Al last year, which was her first concert, and it was just after her 9th Birthday. She did really well, didn't seem to get bored/antsy and had a ton of fun singing along to the songs she knew. So now I might take her to PJ if they ever swing through Canada again, as she has been pulling out their albums and asking about the songs (along with AIC, Temple, Mad Season, Soundgarden, etc). But before that, I don't think I would have chanced it, even though she has always been very well behaved in public situations. 
    ~ Gimli, MB "Mudfest" 1993
    ~ Edmonton, AB 2005
    ~ Winnipeg, MB 2011
  • Options
    pbultimatepbultimate Posts: 586
    If you have to ask, you know the answer. 
  • Options
    kaseylilykaseylily Michigan, USA Posts: 259
    dago1976 said:
    Hello everyone. Need some feedback here. As summer 2017 is right around the corner, I'm considering toking my 5 year old to a concert or two. Does anyone feel this is too young of a age for my daughter to go? Just looking for some feedback as I have no one else to ask and any comments on what would be a good age?  Thanks a bunch
    Steve
    I think something else is on your mind.  No autocorrect says that word.  Leave her at home man.
    Haha! That's funny!  =)
  • Options
    teskeincteskeinc Posts: 836
    it's funny,a concert is deemed by some as a no no, because of alcohol, drunkenness, loudness, etc, but it's perfectly acceptable to bring them to monster truck rallies, which are marketed towards kids. 

My kid loves Monster Jam! We went this year. But because of Monster Jam, my kid loves AC/DC. I think every truck has an AC/DC song for their theme song. He builds his own Monster Jam stadiums, finds the songs on his iPad and races his toy trucks. If you ask him who his favorite band is he will tell you Rage Against the Machine though.

Obviously, due to good parenting he is exposed to good music. Even since he was 2 he always liked Imagine Dragons and seemed to be able to hum along and know the words and sing them especially if we are riding in the car. A commercial for their concert came on the other day, after he asked "Hey DaDa, will you take me to that?" Kind of caught me off guard. I told him "We'll see if we can find tickets."

Kind of the same dilemma I guess. I'm pretty sure he could handle it. Pass on the openers, get to seats as show is starting. 90-120 minutes isn't to bad. Worse thing is you bail early if your kid starts acting like a turd.
    1994 : Memphis 1995 : New Orleans 1996 : Seattle
    1998 : St Louis, Birmingham, Knoxville
    2000 : Memphis, Nashville, St Louis
    2003 : Irvine 1+2, Vegas, Bridge School 1+2, Santa Barbara
    2005 : Missoula, Vancouver, Gorge 2006 : LA 1+2, Vegas
    2008 : W Palm Beach, Tampa, Who Rock Honors, EV LA 2
    2009 : LA 1, LA 4, EV 1 Nashville 2011 : EV Long Beach
    2012: EV Vegas 1+2
    2013 LA 1+2 2018 Prague, Wrigley 2
    2020 Phoenix, SD

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    edited May 2017
    Yeah, while I think you should just do whatever you want, I think 5 is too young for this. If it were my kid, I'd wait until they were maybe 9 years old or so. I think a kid at 5 can be harder to deal with at a show, depending, and has the potential to kind of take away from the vibe for the fans around you. Also, I think that I'd want my kid to keep a clear memory of the event and really appreciate the experience, and I think around 9 years old is when those things start being highly likely. At 5, I'd rather take my kid to a show meant for little kids. They'll probably enjoy it more, and I bet it'll be cheaper too, lol.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I'm not sure why people focus on if the kid will remember it or not. if that was the criteria, disney world would be empty. they might not have a consious memory of it, but the bonding over live music will remain, like anything else you do with your kid pre-9 years old. and it just may influence their musical tastes in the future. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    goingonsixgoingonsix Posts: 55
    Have 3 kids. Took my oldest to Maiden this past April (close-ish to 9th b-day). Taking him to Maiden again in 3 weeks (about to turn 10). Bit overwhelmed at first but really got into it. Took his own pics and vids, which I thought was cool. I think it depends on the show, the kid, the time of day, length of set – many factors. My youngest is 5 and dude loves the Chili Peppers. No way I'm taking him to that show!

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,201
    the idea of a 5 year old at a concert is utterly idiotic to me. what the heck is the point of taking a 5 year old to a concert? kids aren't accessories although they seem like they are to some parents these days.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    edited May 2017
    I'm not sure why people focus on if the kid will remember it or not. if that was the criteria, disney world would be empty. they might not have a consious memory of it, but the bonding over live music will remain, like anything else you do with your kid pre-9 years old. and it just may influence their musical tastes in the future. 
    It's just different in my mind. Disney world is for little kids. Concerts are not. Some things can be better appreciated by little kids than others. Obviously everyone knows that experiences early in life contribute to the person they'll be. What I meant was that a 5 year old can't appreciate a concert for what it is in the mind of the parent. It doesn't seem like something that can be adequately "shared" between an adult a 5 year old. Anyway, I don't think little kids and concerts mix well. They simply don't seem like atmospheres that are appropriate for a 5 year old. Drugs, booze, excessively loud music, potentially rowdy crowds, profanity, ends late at night - that all equals "not for kids" in my mind. 
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
This discussion has been closed.