Options

How old is too young?

dago1976dago1976 Posts: 13
Hello everyone. Need some feedback here. As summer 2017 is right around the corner, I'm considering toking my 5 year old to a concert or two. Does anyone feel this is too young of a age for my daughter to go? Just looking for some feedback as I have no one else to ask and any comments on what would be a good age?  Thanks a bunch
Steve
Dago1976

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,830
    imo way too young. Father of five chiming in. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    This discussion goes round and gets heated sometimes.
    I say, there's no such thing as too young!  
    You have to be willing to change your plans from top to bottom and be attentive to the child's needs, but if you are willing to do that, why not take them?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,747
    edited May 2017
    Depends on the type of show. Local 4th of July concert at the carnival is cool. EV or PJ way too young imo, I definitely wouldn't have had fun as a 5 year old stuck at a 2 plus hour concert. I have two kids and neither has the patience to sit or stand in one tiny area for that long. 

PS, anyone remember that guy on here bitching because he couldn't bring his kid to Wrigley 13 w/o a ticket? So awesome, I talked to a gal that worked for the team, he called the Wrigley offices and complained, often
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,084
    Probably?   I don't have kids, but my friends with kids are often thrown in tangents and unpredictable directions when it comes to their kids.   I would think if you brought a young child to a concert you'd spend more time parenting and attending to his/her needs, than enjoying the show?
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    rgambs said:
    You have to be willing to change your plans from top to bottom and be attentive to the child's needs, but if you are willing to do that, why not take them?
    I agree. If the kid isn't hurting the experience for other concert goers and you've accepted that your experience will differ from a show without a young child, go for it. My son is 8 and I'm excited to take him to a PJ show next time they're around. 
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,665
    Take a 5 yr old to place with drunk idiots, people smoking weed and very loud music..... yeah sounds like a great idea. I'm sure people want to sit next to a 5 yr old at the next pj show. 
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,418
    I have 4 kids and they're all different.  Some would have a blast at a show and a couple would drive me crazy.  I think it depends on the kid but 5 does seem young.  But if you have a really mature kid with a long attention span then I say go for it.  But be prepared you might have to leave early or spending the whole night shuffling them to the snack bar and bathroom. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    rgambs said:
    I agree. If the kid isn't hurting the experience for other concert goers and you've accepted that your experience will differ from a show without a young child, go for it. My son is 8 and I'm excited to take him to a PJ show next time they're around. 
    :rock_on:

My son celebrated his first birthday at the GreenVs show!  He had a blast!  
    5 to 8 age range is probably more difficult than 1 though, really.
  • Options
    Take a 5 yr old to place with drunk idiots, people smoking weed and very loud music..... yeah sounds like a great idea. I'm sure people want to sit next to a 5 yr old at the next pj show. 
    Been there, it sure beats the hell out of sitting next to a drunk idiot!
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Please don't toke your kid.
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    :lol:
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    rgambs said:
    Been there, it sure beats the hell out of sitting next to a drunk idiot!
    This x 1,000!
  • Options
    yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    It really depends on where you sit and who's sitting next to you. I've been to PJ shows where people next to me were dancing and thrashing around the whole time, several shows where people were falling down drunk and/or smoking weed the entire time, one show where the girl next to me smoked meth and then a few shows where the people next to me were perfectly normal with no incidents. It's a crapshoot and if you bring them just be prepared to leave the show if you roll the dice badly and end up next to idiots.
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • Options
    yield2me said:
    It really depends on where you sit and who's sitting next to you. I've been to PJ shows where people next to me were dancing and thrashing around the whole time, several shows where people were falling down drunk and/or smoking weed the entire time, one show where the girl next to me smoked meth and then a few shows where the people next to me were perfectly normal with no incidents. It's a crapshoot and if you bring them just be prepared to leave the show if you roll the dice badly and end up next to idiots.
    Spot on.

At GreenVs we were front row of seated floor on the very end, Mike's side.  Awesome spot, same view as back of the pit with a ton on space.  10-12 year old girl with her father next to us.  Rocked out right up to the end.
    At Columbia we were smack in the middle of the section and row, with nice people around us.  Simon rocked out until first encore, then he started crying so we bailed to the lobby, walked around listening for a few songs and went back to the RV.

• Options
    ekwiptekwipt Vancouver Posts: 291
    Personally I base the decision entirely on the venue. Outdoor GA shows at parks and amphitheatres are usually very kid friendly. My kids are 6 & 4 and have been to tons of outdoor shows with no problems. I don't take them to club or stadium shows. 
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,928
    Whats up with people taking little children to concerts. Its not good for anyone. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    ekwiptekwipt Vancouver Posts: 291
    Whats up with people taking little children to concerts. Its not good for anyone. 
    My kids love it. They wear hearing protection and we keep it to outdoor shows where we can have our own space away from the thick crowd. Good times and no harm done to anyone. 
  • Options
    Sure it is, it's good for everyone!  Kids love music, adults love music, it's a perfect fit!
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,665
    Take your 5 year old to the zoo instead
  • Options
    jhager79jhager79 Kitchener Ontario Posts: 234
    Take them. I went to my first concert when I was 5 ( Jackson 5 ) 
    [img][/img]Kitchener2005
    Toronto 2003
    Toronto 2000
    Barrie 1998
    Toronto 1993
    London 2005

Toronto 2006 May 9/10
    Toronto 2009
    Toronto Sept 11/12 2011
    London 2013
    Detroit 2014
    Toronto 2016 May 10/12
    Chicago 2018 N2
    "No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead"
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,733
    That's too young. 
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    Take your 5 year old to the zoo instead
    Haha, when you think about it, that might be a more dangerous endeavor!

• Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    I would take your five year old to a smaller concert first to see how they react. If they like it, definitely take them. Some kids can handle things before others can, depends on the kid. 
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,418
    Some of us enjoy spending time with our kids. We're not all in it for the tambourine. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,285
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,285
    hedonist said:
    that might be illegal
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Festivals only.   And only festivals with lots of space.  Wouldn't take a kid to a real concert til at least 10 or 11

ACL is a good one for kids of any age.  Even 2 years old.  
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    my youngest daughter has been begging me since she was about 5 to take her to a pj show. i said 'first, they have to come back to winnipeg, second, i'm not sure pj is the best show for a young kid. loads of even bros at those shows'. 

took her to weezer a month or two ago, and she is 7. got her some headphones to wear, got tickets far enough away that it wouldn't be too loud or crazy for her. she loved it. and it was a show i was willing to leave early if she wasn't digging it. 

thought it would be a good PG type show to go to. 

they opened with Hashpipe. LOL

there is no magic age for a kid to go to a show. a friend of mine has been taking his kid, who is 11, to shows for some time now. and metal shows to boot. it's all about how the kid is, what your expectations are (make sure there are none), and as someone else said, a willingness to call an audible and leave if need be. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    on2legs said:
    Some of us enjoy spending time with our kids. We're not all in it for the tambourine. 
    :clap:
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    dago1976 said:
    Hello everyone. Need some feedback here. As summer 2017 is right around the corner, I'm considering toking my 5 year old to a concert or two. Does anyone feel this is too young of a age for my daughter to go? Just looking for some feedback as I have no one else to ask and any comments on what would be a good age?  Thanks a bunch
    Steve
    I think something else is on your mind.  No autocorrect says that word.  Leave her at home man.
This discussion has been closed.