The Concept of God

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    God exists in the sense that you have the mental capacity to create God or "God's" or imaginary sea creatures.

There is a voice inside your head that is not your present tangible self.  The voice inside your mind is simply your thoughts.  It can be turned off and therefore is not who you are.  

Like people who suffer with multiple personality disorder or schizophrenia, those voices can often create conflict inside the individual.

However, if those voices were shut off the person would still exist.  You and I would still exist if the voice inside out mind were silent.  

God exist inside our mind as a creation of our imagination in order to provide a simple explanation to something we once could not explain as pre-histiric or ancient man.

God has been inserted into our subconcious by the telling and retelling of God stories.

Therefore, God exists only in the sense that we have created him. 
    I've prayed to God and my prayers have been answered. The impossible has been answered. I know God exists. God created us. 

All of them?

Or just random ones? Do you think those random prayers might have been answered through your own (or someone else's efforts)? Do you think maybe you are crediting God when credit lies elsewhere?
     If it's God's will it will be answered. God has answered my prayers but if I don't take the answer for invalid and/or stupid misconseptions or being afraid to accept the answer then it's my fault.  
    So doesn't it make you uncomfortable that God is answering your prayers (many of which are comparatively petty, I'm sure) while little children are raped and tortured and starved to death?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • rgambs said:
    God exists in the sense that you have the mental capacity to create God or "God's" or imaginary sea creatures.

There is a voice inside your head that is not your present tangible self.  The voice inside your mind is simply your thoughts.  It can be turned off and therefore is not who you are.  

Like people who suffer with multiple personality disorder or schizophrenia, those voices can often create conflict inside the individual.

However, if those voices were shut off the person would still exist.  You and I would still exist if the voice inside out mind were silent.  

God exist inside our mind as a creation of our imagination in order to provide a simple explanation to something we once could not explain as pre-histiric or ancient man.

God has been inserted into our subconcious by the telling and retelling of God stories.

I've prayed to God and my prayers have been answered. The impossible has been answered. I know God exists. God created us. 

All of them?

Or just random ones? Do you think those random prayers might have been answered through your own (or someone else's efforts)? Do you think maybe you are crediting God when credit lies elsewhere?
     If it's God's will it will be answered. God has answered my prayers but if I don't take the answer for invalid and/or stupid misconseptions or being afraid to accept the answer then it's my fault.  
    So doesn't it make you uncomfortable that God is answering your prayers (many of which are comparatively petty, I'm sure) while little children are raped and tortured and starved to death?

God is sometimes unorganized as he multi-tasks like no other entity in the universe.

For example, sometimes he's busy answering the "Oh God... please let me make my flight" prayer... or listening to the "Dear God... please make sure my husband makes it home safely on his drive"... but while he's doing that, he forgets about the "Dear God... please let me find something to eat or drink today" prayer that the starving child prays for.

We have to forgive him though: with the volume of work demanded by the billions of followers expecting instant access, he's going to mess up every now and then.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited August 2018
    God also gets put into challenging situations.

For example, Father F**kface prays, "Father. Forgive me. Aaaaagain. Please grant me time and patience as I work through my insatiable appetite for children. I know it's wrong, but I really enjoy myself." 

While at the same time...

Little Johnny prays, "Dear God. Please don't let Father F**kface touch me any more."

See what I mean? I mean... I realize more often than not he answers the prayers of Father F**kface, but handling that troubling dilemma can't be easy for the big guy.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    rgambs said:

All of them?

God is sometimes unorganized as he multi-tasks like no other entity in the universe.

For example, sometimes he's busy answering the "Oh God... please let me make my flight" prayer... or listening to the "Dear God... please make sure my husband makes it home safely on his drive"... but while he's doing that, he forgets about the "Dear God... please let me find something to eat or drink today" prayer that the starving child prays for.

We have to forgive him though: with the volume of work demanded by the billions of followers expecting instant access, he's going to mess up every now and then.
    I think you're on to something here, Thirty.  God is always referred to as "Him".  Well, as we all know, women are far better at multi tasking than men, soooooooo.........
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Some real banger posts there ThirtyBills!  
    Your oft-maligned (by me) sarcasm is dead-on, straight-up, ass-whoopin, hyphen-worthy, goodness!
  • rgambs said:
    Your oft-maligned (by me) sarcasm is dead-on, straight-up, ass-whoopin, hyphen-worthy, goodness!
    Lol

I do my damndest, RG! Good to be on the same side more often than not these days.

For the record, I was trying to make a point with all that gibberish. I'm thinking it got lost in the delivery. Oh well.
  • God exists in the sense that you have the mental capacity to create God or "God's" or imaginary sea creatures.

All of them?

so that's not really prayers being answered in how I've always understood it. from what you are saying here, he didn't choose to reward you with your request. it was a happy accident he wanted to give what you wanted. kind of like a lottery ticket. 
    Not even close there aren't accidents with God. And when people pray it's not necessarily for themselves you understand that don't you. You're so funny. That was good. lol. 
    rgambs said:
    Lol

I do my damndest, RG! Good to be on the same side more often than not these days.

For the record, I was trying to make a point with all that gibberish. I'm thinking it got lost in the delivery. Oh well.
    Not lost at all, perfectly delivered.

All of them?

so that's not really prayers being answered in how I've always understood it. from what you are saying here, he didn't choose to reward you with your request. it was a happy accident he wanted to give what you wanted. kind of like a lottery ticket. 
    Not even close there aren't accidents with God. And when people pray it's not necessarily for themselves you understand that don't you. You're so funny. That was good. lol. 
    No accidents with God, so the kids being raped, tortured, and starved...that's all on purpose?  You really go to sleep at night comfortable with the idea that the Holocaust was just "part of the plan"?
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    The easily manipulated minds of the right
  • evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,102
    Gods don't exist. They are figments of our imagination. Whales don't believe in Gods. Sharks don't believe in them either. They (the whales and sharks) fuck, they eat, they get killed by humans (most of whom probably believe in some fucking gods.) Gods are made up by once-alive humans. It is that fucking straight forward. Y'all god-believers are fucking braintwizzlered; it's also that god-damned simple. The word "god" to me is a fucking metaphor and that's how I use it. "Thank GOD" means "PHEW! Glad that happened!" and "Dear Heavens" means "Oh Boy.." and "Jesus Fucking Christ" means "For fuck sakes."  "OH God" means "Oh no" - You're not going somewhere other than into the ground when you die. Ya won't talk to your dead relatives. You won't be in God's presence or some shit - god dammit, this sucks. I'm all cranked up. Shouldn't have given up drinking today. I'm out of this god-forsaken thread. You see?? it's a fucking figure of speech.. not a real fucking figure. fuck! God damn. Jesus. This is bullshit. 
    I love you. 
    I'm sorry. 
    fuckin hell. God damn got the best of me. Drives me mental though.
    It sucks ass that the brainwashing continues. Fuckin fuck. Jim Jeffries is the shit.

Byeeeeeeee 
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    evsgjamm said:
    Gods don't exist. They are figments of our imagination. Whales don't believe in Gods. Sharks don't believe in them either. They (the whales and sharks) fuck, they eat, they get killed by humans (most of whom probably believe in some fucking gods.) Gods are made up by once-alive humans. It is that fucking straight forward. Y'all god-believers are fucking braintwizzlered; it's also that god-damned simple. The word "god" to me is a fucking metaphor and that's how I use it. "Thank GOD" means "PHEW! Glad that happened!" and "Dear Heavens" means "Oh Boy.." and "Jesus Fucking Christ" means "For fuck sakes."  "OH God" means "Oh no" - You're not going somewhere other than into the ground when you die. Ya won't talk to your dead relatives. You won't be in God's presence or some shit - god dammit, this sucks. I'm all cranked up. Shouldn't have given up drinking today. I'm out of this god-forsaken thread. You see?? it's a fucking figure of speech.. not a real fucking figure. fuck! God damn. Jesus. This is bullshit. 
    I love you. 
    I'm sorry. 
    It sucks ass that the brainwashing continues. Fuckin fuck. Jim Jeffries is the shit.

Byeeeeeeee 
    You forgot one, evs-- "Jesus, Joseph and Mary" = "Whoa!  No kidding!" :lol:

I guess I don't totally mind that people believe in a god if it helps them get through the day, but I do get more than a bit exasperated when it comes to telling other people they have to believe, or else!  It also bugs me that people give their god credit for good work that is done by people working together, cooperating, being community, that sort of thing. 

Like Patti Smith says, "People have the power."
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• rgambs said:

All of them?

No accidents with God, so the kids being raped, tortured, and starved...that's all on purpose?  You really go to sleep at night comfortable with the idea that the Holocaust was just "part of the plan"?
    That's not God.  Evil doesn't come from God. Love and justice. 
  • brianlux said:
    evsgjamm said:
    I love you. 
    I'm sorry. 

Byeeeeeeee 
    You forgot one, evs-- "Jesus, Joseph and Mary" = "Whoa!  No kidding!" :lol:

I guess I don't totally mind that people believe in a god if it helps them get through the day, but I do get more than a bit exasperated when it comes to telling other people they have to believe, or else!  It also bugs me that people give their god credit for good work that is done by people working together, cooperating, being community, that sort of thing. 

Like Patti Smith says, "People have the power."
    God has the ultimate power. He made the people that have the power. 
  • so basically the point of this thread is not to argue about faith, or try to convince someone else that you are right or they are wrong. just, what do you think god is, if you believe a god exists?

Believe I do. 
    rgambs said:

All of them?

That's not God.  Evil doesn't come from God. Love and justice. 
    This is specifically contradictory to several Bible passages and it's internally contradictory to itself.
    Doesn't make a bit of sense how the Creator of everything can escape liability for everything with a simple, "that's evil, evil is outside my department, I only do good stuff and let the evil happen even though I could stop it easily"
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

All of them?

I wasn't attempting at humour.

you said "if it's god's will it will be answered". so he picks and chooses who gets what answered. that's not a loving god. especially not when someone's prayer is a new iphone and another's is clean drinking water, the former gets it, the latter dies. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    This has me all fired up today.

Just on Monday I discovered my 6 year old niece being indoctrinated in Catholic culthood knows that my wife and I "don't go to church because they don't believe in Jesus and that's bad"

:angry:
    my brother, his wife, and their 20 year old son all think I'm going to hell with all the homosexuals and trans people.  =)
    I bet they don't. I bet they pray for you. 
    That makes no sense. If they do pray for him in that context, it's specifically because they do think he's going to hell, and they're praying for him to find salvation.

I've been told by several religious people that I'm going to hell because I'm an Atheist. They truly believe it, and many seem to have little problem with saying it to people's faces, although many others would never say such a thing. I have a born again cousin. I know she and her husband think I and most of the family are heathens, lol, but they are too nice to actually say any bullshit to our faces. They did once feel the need to quietly leave the room together and go demonstrably pray for us all in the front yard ... They either forgot we could see them doing it through the giant picture window overlooking the front yard, or they intentionally meant for us to see them doing this so that we'd get the point. Since they're not morons, my vote is for option two.
    What helps you? What makes you feel better when your looking for the answer in life? To life? For me it's praying. 
    Great, just don't pray for me and it's all good, lol.
    What makes me feel better when I'm looking for "the answer in life"? I am not even sure what you mean by that. Are you asking how I go about figuring out the meaning of life? Or do you mean something else?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Just came across this article on Al Jazeera. The top court in India has overturned a decades old ban that prevented women between the ages of 10-50 from entering one of the major temples of the country (Sabarimala Ayyappa temple). 

The article isn't long, but it's a fascinating snippet of viewpoints on religion, discrimination, personal rights, and yes, how society views women as responsible for managing men's behaviour.

Although it argues against the concepts of inclusion, I like the way this quote highlights the lack of logic inherent to religion: ""What constitutes essential religious practice is for the religious community to decide, not for the court ... notions of rationality cannot be brought into religion," said Malhotra."

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/09/india-supreme-court-overturns-ban-women-sabarimala-temple-180928074701697.html
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited October 2018

All of them?

you said "if it's god's will it will be answered". so he picks and chooses who gets what answered. that's not a loving god. especially not when someone's prayer is a new iphone and another's is clean drinking water, the former gets it, the latter dies. 
    Hi Hugh, 
    Well,
    1. Inorder to have any prayers answered you need to have faith in Him to begin with.  One cannot pray to God whom they doubt & don't belive in and expect results He won't do anything for you if you don't believe He's there, repent of your sins and accept His gift of salvation through Jesus Christ.  If you ever decide to accept Jesus Christ as your personal Savior, you will experience a huge difference in your life and outlook on life.  I know that this will be met with some negativity.  But it is my prayer for all of you non-believers out there to accept Christ & see for yourselves the blessings that follow.
    2. Some of God's greatest gifts  are unanswered prayers.  God can see the future, we cannot.  So if one of His faithful asks Him for something that He knows in the long run is not good for that person life, He's not going to give it. (If your 7 year old child asks you for a rattlesnake for his/her birthday would you give it? The answer is that most parents would say no.  Because the parents know that sooner or later that rattlesnake is going to bite you.)
    Take it easy Hugh and God bless you.
    Post edited by RYME on
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    RYME said:

All of them?

Hi Hugh, 
    Well,
    1. Inorder to have any prayers answered you need to have faith in Him to begin with.  One cannot pray to God whom they doubt & don't belive in and expect results He won't do anything for you if you don't believe He's there, repent of your sins and accept His gift of salvation through Jesus Christ.  If you ever decide to accept Jesus Christ as your personal Savior, you will experience a huge difference in your life and outlook on life.  I know that this will be met with some negativity.  But it is my prayer for all of you non-believers out there to accept Christ & see for yourselves the blessings that follow.
    2. Some of God's greatest gifts  are unanswered prayers.  God can see the future, we cannot.  So if one of His faithful asks Him for something that He knows in the long run is not good for that person life, He's not going to give it. (If your 7 year old child asks you for a rattlesnake for his/her birthday would you give it? The answer is that most parents would say no.  Because the parents know that sooner or later that rattlesnake is going to bite you.)
    Seems to not be so all-loving if he won't do anything for you if you don't express belief in him? Doesn't that go against the purpose of God giving people free will?  If God exists and gave us free will and is all-loving, he would do for us regardless of what we think, for we would only be misunderstanding.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    RYME said:

All of them?

Hi Hugh, 
    Well,
    Seems to not be so all-loving if he won't do anything for you if you don't express belief in him? Doesn't that go against the purpose of God giving people free will?  If God exists and gave us free will and is all-loving, he would do for us regardless of what we think, for we would only be misunderstanding.
    Like it says in my post/link above (which didn’t get any traction :lol: ), notions of rationality can not be brought into religion. 

There’s just no point. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    RYME said:

All of them?

Hi Hugh, 
    Well,
    You are free to accept Him.  You are free to reject Him.  That's Free Will.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    RYME said:

All of them?

Hi Hugh, 
    Well,
    Exactly....impossible to be all-loving if he allows us to make horrible decisions.  Decisions that would lead us to being disemboweled for all eternity in the depths of hell.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    RYME said:
    RYME said:

All of them?

Hi Hugh, 
    Well,
    You are free to accept Him.  You are free to reject Him.  That's Free Will.
    I know what free will is.  You missed my point.
    RYME said:

All of them?

Hi Hugh, 
    Well,
    Like when a child in Africa watches their family get raped and murdered and then starves to death in agony later on?
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    And what about Christian Scientists?? They put ALL of their faith into God and pray for God to cure their cancer and other terminal illnesses and they still die without medical intervention, innocent children too. I guess God doesn't care about the truly faithful all that much after all.
    I really don't understand how you reconcile what you say here with reality RYME, with all the suffering that goes on every second of every day... even among Christians, who you have such a massive bias for.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited October 2018
    Life in the flesh is temporary.  That's the motivation for Christians.  Do the best we can. and put up with this because this isn't the way it's always going to be.  We struggle during this time, patiently waiting for the next dispensation of time to come knowing that the rewards will be great.  I certainly don't have all the answers as to why things go on around the world as they do.  I do not consider myself to be perfect or better than anyone else, I do the best I can. But I struggle with life just like everyone else.  I know that faith in Christ is a big leap for a lot of people.  Its clear to me that I'm not going to convince to many people that Christ is the way to go.  
    I am a seed planter.  I cannot make those seeds grow.  I brodcast seeds the same way you would toss out chicken feed or grass seed.  Grab a hand full and toss it out  this way and that way.  Some will take, some wont.  Some will get eaten by birds, some wont get enough water and die out, and some will grow roots, sprout and flourish. I can not control the results, all's I can do is plant seeds and hope they take.
    Satin is responsible for all the pain and suffering in the world.  Not God.  (That never gets talked about)
    Jesus Christ is coming back again. (The second advent)  Its going to shock a lot a lot of people.  When this is in the process of happening, many of those seeds that laid dormant for many many years that I and many like myself have planted will remember what they heard from people like me and others and will spring to life.
    I understand your skepticism though I do.
    Post edited by RYME on
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    Imaginary seeds sown with imaginary stories.

That was a really weird read.