Options

The Concept of God

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    brianlux said:
    amethgr8 said:
    Again, what makes the "god" of christianity any more real than the "god" of any other given religion?  because it is what one was taught.  If you were brought up with buddhism, that is what you believe.
    My understanding is that Buddhists don't believe in God and that for them how you practice your faith is more important than what you believe.
    How everything is interrelated and knowing one's place in the universe co-existing with everything else in the universe.

That is what I have come to understand of Buddhists (condensed version... and at the risk of being wrong).
    Plus, of course, the plum tree in the garden.

amethgr8 said:
    I was just using buddhism as an example.

most of this discussion, whether god exists, is the god that exists in christianity.  lot of belief systems have a diety, like a god.
    I mention/asked something along the same lines.  That never really got addressed either.  The discussion keeps going back to one religion and it's one god.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    I would like to hear from those that believe in God, why they feel the bible is more believable or true vs other belief systems and or books of a god that recognize a god.

I was baptized catholic, methodist when I went to visit my dad down south (btw now he is a seventh day adventist)  and there are some different systems that recognize God, in different ways, my mind is open.  I don't necessarily believe everything in the western religions about the existence and capacity of God vs say, that of Kabbalahists.
    Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
  • Options
    Or the Jehovah Witnesses, their interpretation of god and the Bible is wrong? Compared to Christian belief? 
    Amy The Great #74594
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    PJ 20 2011
    Missoula MT 2018
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    amethgr8 said:
    Or the Jehovah Witnesses, their interpretation of god and the Bible is wrong? Compared to Christian belief? 
    I don't recall anyone has been talking down on other religions, you can believe what you want, but one has to speak from where one is standing. 
    You speak from your own point of view as everyone else does.

• Options
    I'm not saying talking down, just that if one believes in God, and so many other religions do as well, it's easy to see each has their own interpretion of the same God.
    Amy The Great #74594
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    PJ 20 2011
    Missoula MT 2018
  • Options
    amethgr8 said:
    I'm not saying talking down, just that if one believes in God, and so many other religions do as well, it's easy to see each has their own interpretion of the same God.
    I don't know, maybe :)
  • Options
    ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    God is in us, we can fly. We are great spirits capable of going through tremendous pain. 
    Without blame we can get ourselves together and conquer what we know should be stopped. 
          It doesn't matter if you believe in god but you can't be bad. 
           Throw your hatred down. 
    This is not a war against what you believe in it's become physical. Let your spirit shine. 

This is my 100th post on the subject. I'm banned. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    @RYME I will ask you directly: what makes your beliefs more believable than another religion's?  you have to admit your beliefs are a product of your geography and/or your upbringing, no?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited August 2017
    @RYME I will ask you directly: what makes your beliefs more believable than another religion's?  you have to admit your beliefs are a product of your geography and/or your upbringing, no?

Annafalk said:
    amethgr8 said:
    I don't recall anyone has been talking down on other religions, you can believe what you want, but one has to speak from where one is standing. 

Hmmm good question.  My grandma got me started.  But after that, one pursues as much or as little as they want after that. No one forced me to continue in my faith from about 4th grade on. I didn't start studying the Bible seriously until I was in my twenties.  Geography, I don't know about that, there are quite a few Christians around the world different denominations of course.  Although you'd never know it, there's Christians in every country around the world but as you would expect in some places they cannot be outspoken about it.
    Just like some of you went to a church when you were young changed your mind on it and have pretty much gone the other way.  Free will comes back into play here.
    Throughout life I've continued a healthy relationship with my Lord Jesus.  I've been in a few dangerous situations that should have gone really really bad but didn't.  No other explanation for me other than He must have intervened, for me to have come away unscathed.  I have nothing against other religions.  I read & study God's Word pray every day or two, I ask for forgiveness for things that I've done wrong, I thank Him for the blessings in my life, and ask for guidance and strength for things I struggle with.
    Judging or condemning other religions is none of my business.

Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    RYME said:

Annafalk said:
    amethgr8 said:

Hmmm good question.  My grandma got me started.  But after that one pursues as much or as little as they want after that. No one forced me to continue in my faith from about 4th grade on.  Geography, I don't know about that, there are quite a few Christians around the world different denominations of course.  Although you'd never know it, there's Christians in every country around the world but as you would expect in some places they cannot be outspoken about it.
    Just like some of you went to a church when you were young changed your mind on it and have pretty much gone the other way.  Free will comes back into play here.
    Throughout life I've continued a healthy relationship with my Lord Jesus.  I've been in a few dangerous situations that should have gone really really bad but didn't.  No other explanation for me other than He must have intervened, for me to have come away unscathed.  I have nothing against other religions.  I read & study God's Word pray every day or two, I ask for forgiveness for things that I've done wrong, I thank Him for the blessings in my life, and ask for guidance and strength for things I struggle with.

you are avoiding the question. I'll be more direct: had you been born in Japan, or North Africa, or Iran, do you really believe you would still be Christian?

no one is asking you to judge another religion. My question was: what do you believe makes Jesus/God your god, as opposed to Allah, or Buddah? do you believe those gods also exist, or yours is the one true god? if so, what makes your religion the "correct" one? I have asked this of many christians over the years, and no one has been able to explain it to me. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianlux said:
    This thread has been around awhile (and believe me, I have nothing against anything that has been around awhile), so every now and then I like to go back to HFD's original question:

"so basically the point of this thread is not to argue about faith, or try to convince someone else that you are right or they are wrong. just, what do you think god is, if you believe a god exists?"

It's interesting that the discussion keeps going back to talking about the Christian God and Jesus and the Bible.  Can we clarify again, HFD, is that what the topic is?  Or is it literally what you  stated as in, the general concept of "a god"?

True, most who discuss on this forum are westerners and therefor most are more familiar with the Christian concept of God, but (assuming anyone else cares), I wouldn't mind hearing about what people think of the more general concept of "a god". 

For me, the concept of "god" is a bit of a conundrum because I tend to think that if there is a god, that god is undefinable in human terms and encompasses all that we cannot understand which means god (or God) is simply that which we have yet, if ever, to discover and be able to quantify, identify and understand.  It's like looking at a sealed box and wondering if there is something in it and if so, what is it and can we ever understand what it is?

And I should add, I'm very OK with the idea that there may be things we don't can't and never will be understand.  The universe without some mystery would seem a far more coldly academic without a bit of mystery to spice things up.
    as mentioned previously, and as I was almost universally criticized for suggesting so, I was trying to start a topic about what god is, with doing our best to keep organized religion out of it. 

I should have framed the question as more in relation to a "creator" (scientific or spiritual), instead of "god", as it seems people seem to find it too difficult to think about god without religion. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited August 2017
    RYME said:

Annafalk said:
    amethgr8 said:

Hmmm good question.  My grandma got me started.  But after that one pursues as much or as little as they want after that. No one forced me to continue in my faith from about 4th grade on.  Geography, I don't know about that, there are quite a few Christians around the world different denominations of course.  Although you'd never know it, there's Christians in every country around the world but as you would expect in some places they cannot be outspoken about it.

you are avoiding the question. I'll be more direct: had you been born in Japan, or North Africa, or Iran, do you really believe you would still be Christian?

no one is asking you to judge another religion. My question was: what do you believe makes Jesus/God your god, as opposed to Allah, or Buddah? do you believe those gods also exist, or yours is the one true god? if so, what makes your religion the "correct" one? I have asked this of many christians over the years, and no one has been able to explain it to me. 
    Jesus was declaring Himself the great “I Am,” the only path to heaven, the only true measure of righteousness, and the source of both physical and spiritual life. 

And also;

"You should have no other gods before me"
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • Options
    Annafalk said:
    RYME said:

Annafalk said:
    amethgr8 said:

Jesus was declaring Himself the great “I Am,” the only path to heaven, the only true measure of righteousness, and the source of both physical and spiritual life. 

And also;

All those other fools praying to those other gods... what are they thinking?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Annafalk said:
    RYME said:

Annafalk said:
    amethgr8 said:

And also;

does anyone know if other gods have these "rules" or not? if so, why not follow that god's rule? if not, is this christian god's way of saying he's not the only one, and is kind of a possessive god, kind of like an asshole boyfriend?

And also, what about the geography question? do you think you would have found christianity had you been born in iran?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Annafalk said:
    RYME said:

Annafalk said:
    amethgr8 said:

And also;

does anyone know if other gods have these "rules" or not? if so, why not follow that god's rule? if not, is this christian god's way of saying he's not the only one, and is kind of a possessive god, kind of like an asshole boyfriend?

And also, what about the geography question? do you think you would have found christianity had you been born in iran?

There is only one God so I don't know of any other rules, but I know of course other religions has a lot of different rules.
    I think people most probably adopts to the culture in which they are born.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Annafalk said:
    RYME said:

Annafalk said:
    amethgr8 said:

And also;

Not trying to dance around your question HFD,  Trying not to offend anyone.
    If I would say that my God is better than yours, that would be offensive would it not?  An ignorant arrogant sob some would say.  
    I believe in one God.
    I believe that if I was raised in any of the places you mentioned, (there are Christians in those countries, perhaps not many, even China has got quite a few Christians amongst its population but they are a silent few out of necessity.) If I had been taught something else at a young age I believe that one way or another I would have found my way to Christ anyway.
    God works in fasinating ways.  You should read the book Son of Hamas
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosab_Hassan_Yousef#/search

https://books.google.com/books/about/Son_of_Hamas.html?id=QFYw0R8S-KMC&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button
    If a guy with this kind of background can find Christ, I think anyone can.
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    brianlux said:
    amethgr8 said:
    Again, what makes the "god" of christianity any more real than the "god" of any other given religion?  because it is what one was taught.  If you were brought up with buddhism, that is what you believe.
    My understanding is that Buddhists don't believe in God and that for them how you practice your faith is more important than what you believe.
    I consider Buddhism a philosophy, not a religion. I feel like it's only called a religion because that word "has" to be assigned to any belief system that has a lot of people who follow it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    RYME said:
    Annafalk said:
    RYME said:

Annafalk said:
    amethgr8 said:

And also;

If I would say that my God is better than yours, that would be offensive would it not?  An ignorant arrogant sob some would say.  
    I believe in one God.
    I believe that if I was raised in any of the places you mentioned, (there are Christians in those countries, perhaps not many, even China has got quite a few Christians amongst its population but they are a silent few out of necessity.) If I had been taught something else at a young age I believe that one way or another I would have found my way to Christ anyway.

https://books.google.com/books/about/Son_of_Hamas.html?id=QFYw0R8S-KMC&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button
    If a guy from this background can find Christianity I think anyone can.
    I didn't mean "better" than any other, I meant why is your god THE one? I think it can be answered in a non-offensive way, which it appears you attempted. Maybe it's just not an answerable question, because I just can't understand why anyone would believe that the christian god is the one god, and not recognizing that it is a direct product of your upbringing/culture/geographical birth. But then I guess, if you admitted that, it would be admitting that your god is NOT the one true god. Because, in my mind, it is 100% unknowable whose scriptures are real, if any, and which are just the word of man. 

So I get it, I suppose. 

there are so many pieces of other religions/belief systems that christianity has obviously lifted from, I can't see how anyone could believe that it is the defining religion. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    and of course anyone with resources can find god. but why does no one from an undiscovered tribe somewhere in africa have no relationship with god? why wouldn't he show them the path?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    RYME said:
    Annafalk said:
    RYME said:

Annafalk said:
    amethgr8 said:

And also;

I believe in one God.

If a guy from this background can find Christianity I think anyone can.
    I didn't mean "better" than any other, I meant why is your god THE one? I think it can be answered in a non-offensive way, which it appears you attempted. Maybe it's just not an answerable question, because I just can't understand why anyone would believe that the christian god is the one god, and not recognizing that it is a direct product of your upbringing/culture/geographical birth. But then I guess, if you admitted that, it would be admitting that your god is NOT the one true god. Because, in my mind, it is 100% unknowable whose scriptures are real, if any, and which are just the word of man. 

So I get it, I suppose. 

there are so many pieces of other religions/belief systems that christianity has obviously lifted from, I can't see how anyone could believe that it is the defining religion. 
    You hit the nail on the head HFD. A believer can't say that their God isn't the one true God. If they did, there goes their faith, basically. Religion literally depends on the idea that the person in question knows that their God is the "right" one. Otherwise, why would they believe in the first place, right? Religions must inject this "true God" thing into their belief systems because it's the only way to attract and retain followers.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Christians are taught there is one God. One God that created the Heavens and the Earth. That He created everything that there isn't another God.

I personally agree it is geographical. But I will say people will continue to look for more. I know lots of people that just keep converting their denominations to fit whatever they're currently into. So I do believe anyone in any location can find God or any other religion or God. 

I personally don't care what others believe. To each their own and am delighted they have a connection with what they study, whether that be God, a God, or several Gods like the Egyptians, science or energy or higher power.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    FoxyRedLa said:
    Christians are taught there is one God. One God that created the Heavens and the Earth. That He created everything that there isn't another God.

I personally agree it is geographical. But I will say people will continue to look for more. I know lots of people that just keep converting their denominations to fit whatever they're currently into. So I do believe anyone in any location can find God or any other religion or God. 

I personally don't care what others believe. To each their own and am delighted they have a connection with what they study, whether that be God, a God, or several Gods like the Egyptians, science or energy or higher power.
    i just find it a fascinating topic. Especially when you challenge many christians (I'm guessing it would be the same among other religions, I just don't have exposure to any other religions in my social circles), you get a to a point where they can't explain why they believe what they believe. they are ok with believing something that they, nor anyone for that matter, can't explain. And that's ok if it's ok with them. I'm not. it really just boils down to that. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    For Christians it boils down to Faith.
  • Options
    well I would imagine that's the case for all religions. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Hugh is there anything else you can think of that you have Faith in that no one else can explain? Anything not even religious. Just throwing it out there.
  • Options
    FoxyRedLa said:
    Hugh is there anything else you can think of that you have Faith in that no one else can explain? Anything not even religious. Just throwing it out there.
    good question. I was actually trying to think of that, and I really can't think of anything. I don't ascribe to faith. I can "hope" for things, but that's not the same. I'm not sitting here thinking that anything has an influence over what I'm hoping for, I'm just hoping the randomness of the universe turns out in my favour. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    FoxyRedLa said:
    good question. I was actually trying to think of that, and I really can't think of anything. I don't ascribe to faith. I can "hope" for things, but that's not the same. I'm not sitting here thinking that anything has an influence over what I'm hoping for, I'm just hoping the randomness of the universe turns out in my favour. 
    I

What is something you hope for?

Do you have Faith in humanity? :lol:

And thank you for not getting angry with me for asking.
  • Options
    health of my children. 

no, I don't. I hope that humanity comes through, but I see no reason to believe that it will. the most powerful people in the world wish to deplete it for wealth, to the detriment of the rest of us and future generations. until we have people in power who give a shit, that won't change. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    FoxyRedLa said:
    Ya see, HFD my faith says that there is nothing random about you, or your existence.  That He created you as one of His children.  That you are a unique individual.  He created your soul with you in mind. Your DNA, & finger prints are different from anyone else's.  He wants you to know that you are special to Him. He created you because He wanted to.
    He wants to take the burdens and anxieties out of your life.  Day to day issues, and struggles continue, they certainly do for everyone, but they become easier to deal with.  He knows that believing would be difficult for many.  That's why there are people around, who try to spread the good news whenever possible knowing full well that it might not be real popular.
    No I don't run around on the streets yelling God and Jesus with bumper stickers all over my car.  I'm not one of those. ;)
  • Options
    Thanks hugh, makes perfect sense.

And I agree with your thoughts on humanity. Absolutely amazes me. Why anyone thinks/believes they're better than any living thing. All lives matter. Why anyone thinks they can steal something from someone's porch or lawn, or mug an old lady, or take someone else's child from a parking lot or store, or abuse animals and empty their ash tray in the street ....... YOU BETTER STOP ME......