Options

The Concept of God

Comments

• Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    I haven't read the entirety of the thread so maybe someone has already said this but I think we come from energy and we will return to energy.  Energy never ends it just reforms into something else.  Maybe humans used to understand that but couldn't explain it because they didn't have the science so maybe they created a creator to explain the unexplainable.  
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,819
    RYME said:
    Both sides have to answer a similar question.

The Religious person asks the atheist:  how did something come from nothing?

The atheist asks the religious person:  How could God have existed for all eternity?

it is like the chicken or the egg.

Thinking about how and why the universe exists makes my head spin.  Why is there a universe?  Why is there anything?  Can there even be nothing without there being something?

I'll take a stab at this, and then it's up to individuals to go forward with it or not for further understanding.
    IS GOD REAL?
    YES!  God is Very Real!  Look around you...He created everything.  The flowers, the birds, the heavens...He even created YOU!  He is not some bid floating ball of energy out in space somewhere!  We were made in His and the angels' image.  Even though we cannot see Him, we look a lot like He and the angels look.
    We are His children, and like most parents, He loves us very much!  He loves us so much in fact, that He gave us His letter of instructions, the bible, to teach us of His love.  He expects us to love Him enough to study and follow His Word, the Truth, not the traditions of men.  He wants you to help Him carry forth His plan which is explained in the bible.  (The answers to the questions are all layed out in the bible.)
    He wants you to read His Word with the innocence of a child and without men's theories and beliefs getting in your way.  He is your protector.  He is SUPER-Natural, which means He is
    "MORE-Natural" than you can even imagine.  He will watch over you like a mama bear watches over her baby cubs.
    You have to make an effort though.  He's not going to beg you to come to Him.
    Revelation 22:13. "I am the Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and the End, the First and the Last."
    GOD is Eternal.
    It is impossible to doubt the reality of GOD when you see the beauty of HIS nature!
    Did you know that God's Children have an angel in heaven that watches over them?  They have God's attention at any time if that child needs God.  As Jesus said:. Matthew 18:10 Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of My Father Which is in heaven.
    Our Father wants you to communicate with Him.  He wants you to talk to Him.  He wants to hear from you.  He wants to know how He can help you.  You can talk to God anywhere, anytime, without saying a single word out loud, because He knows your every thought.  He created your soul, He is your Heavenly Father.  Let Him know you love Him, and that you want to be on His side.

this didn't, in any way, shape, or form, answer bootlegger's question. this post sounded like a recruitment speech. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,519
    RYME said:

The atheist asks the religious person:  How could God have existed for all eternity?

Thinking about how and why the universe exists makes my head spin.  Why is there a universe?  Why is there anything?  Can there even be nothing without there being something?

I'll take a stab at this, and then it's up to individuals to go forward with it or not for further understanding.
    IS GOD REAL?
    YES!  God is Very Real!  Look around you...He created everything.  The flowers, the birds, the heavens...He even created YOU!  He is not some bid floating ball of energy out in space somewhere!  We were made in His and the angels' image.  Even though we cannot see Him, we look a lot like He and the angels look.
    We are His children, and like most parents, He loves us very much!  He loves us so much in fact, that He gave us His letter of instructions, the bible, to teach us of His love.  He expects us to love Him enough to study and follow His Word, the Truth, not the traditions of men.  He wants you to help Him carry forth His plan which is explained in the bible.  (The answers to the questions are all layed out in the bible.)
    He wants you to read His Word with the innocence of a child and without men's theories and beliefs getting in your way.  He is your protector.  He is SUPER-Natural, which means He is
    "MORE-Natural" than you can even imagine.  He will watch over you like a mama bear watches over her baby cubs.
    Revelation 22:13. "I am the Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and the End, the First and the Last."
    GOD is Eternal.
    It is impossible to doubt the reality of GOD when you see the beauty of HIS nature!
    Did you know that God's Children have an angel in heaven that watches over them?  They have God's attention at any time if that child needs God.  As Jesus said:. Matthew 18:10 Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of My Father Which is in heaven.
    Our Father wants you to communicate with Him.  He wants you to talk to Him.  He wants to hear from you.  He wants to know how He can help you.  You can talk to God anywhere, anytime, without saying a single word out loud, because He knows your every thought.  He created your soul, He is your Heavenly Father.  Let Him know you love Him, and that you want to be on His side.

That was.......odd

I'll leave it at that
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,686
    RYME said:

IS GOD REAL?
    GOD is Eternal.

I find our Mother (Nature) speaks to me even more clearly without any of the superstition or guilt and in a way that reflects the supreme supreme beauty of life.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited July 2017
    RYME said:

IS GOD REAL?
    GOD is Eternal.

this didn't, in any way, shape, or form, answer bootlegger's question. this post sounded like a recruitment speech. 
    Thanks for pointing that out HFD, it was too long to read. 

I want the Father to communicate w/ me.  I want him to talk to me.  I want to hear from him.  I want him to talk to me anywhere, anytime - I'm always listening.  I don't want him knowing my every thought that's just creepy.  It's time to pony up big guy and start talkin.
  • Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    RYME said:

IS GOD REAL?
    GOD is Eternal.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    It didn't in anyway answer bootlegger's question.  Ok.  At least there was substance involved.  You have to at least admit that it was interesting.  I think it did answer his questions.  I cannot write and explain the whole Bible here.  It takes me 5 years to read the Bible front to back. I just tried to give you a place to start.
    Y'all can take it or leave it.
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    ^^^
    5yrs?  Leave it.

• Options
    RYME said:
    It didn't in anyway answer bootlegger's question.  Ok.  At least there was substance involved.  You have to at least admit that it was interesting.  I think it did answer his questions.  I cannot write and explain the whole Bible here.  It takes me 5 years to read the Bible front to back. I just tried to give you a place to start.
    I didn't find it interesting. no offence. I've heard all of that type of speak before. it sounded like a sermon. but he asked very specific "how can something come from nothing" questions, and you answered it with "god loves you" to your own question "is god real" which is not what he asked, and that has zero to do with his question. but honestly, that's how most christians answer those types of questions. they can't answer them any more than an atheist can, but they won't admit that. for what reason, i don't know. why not just say "I don't know, I just have faith that there is a reason" instead of the meandering and double-speak?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    RYME said:
    and I've been at the starting block. like any horse in a race who doesn't know why he's running, it's the same as the finish line. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    RYME said:
    and I've been at the starting block. like any horse in a race who doesn't know why he's running, it's the same as the finish line. 
    Hey man, just put on those blinders and run like hell, HFD.  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271
    RYME said:

IS GOD REAL?
    GOD is Eternal.

No offence, but just because you state these things as fact doesn't make them true, or provide any kind of proof that they are. How can anyone prove God is real? Where did He come from? What was He doing before He started creating? How can you prove any of the things you stated are God's work? Because the Bible says so? What makes the Bible, or an other religious texts for that matter, more important than any other book? 

Another question I have always wanted to ask these who believe: how does God communicate with you? When you pray, or talk to God, how does He answer? Do you hear His voice in your head, or do thoughts come into your head that you attribute to Him, and then take as 'a sign'? 

Sorry for all of the questions, but given how open you have been in this thread I didn't think you'd mind. I can assure that they are genuine and not trying to sound flippant. 
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    RYME said:

IS GOD REAL?
    GOD is Eternal.

No offence, but just because you state these things as fact doesn't make them true, or provide any kind of proof that they are. How can anyone prove God is real? Where did He come from? What was He doing before He started creating? How can you prove any of the things you stated are God's work? Because the Bible says so? What makes the Bible, or an other religious texts for that matter, more important than any other book? 

Another question I have always wanted to ask these who believe: how does God communicate with you? When you pray, or talk to God, how does He answer? Do you hear His voice in your head, or do thoughts come into your head that you attribute to Him, and then take as 'a sign'? 

Sorry for all of the questions, but given how open you have been in this thread I didn't think you'd mind. I can assure that they are genuine and not trying to sound flippant...
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I'm not offended.  No your not flippant.
    I believe that what I wrote above are facts.  You can believe what ever you want.
    How can anyone prove that God is real? Well yes a lot of it is faith.  And unfortunately I cannot bring Him to the front door of your house and show you Him, which is apparently what the people here need to see in order to believe.  I'm not being flippant.  But really.
    Well that's why I provided some scripture with my answer or non answer as it were.  The bible is my proof.  The intricacies of nature is proof to me.  The perfection, the way the oceans and seas have high tide & low tide every day feeding countless species on beaches around the globe.  The moon is set at the right distance to cause high tide, low tide, and often be a nice night light at the same time.. I think it rises and receeds about 5 feet in most cases, can you imagine the tonage on that?   The unbelievable camouflage on animals.  And the timing of it.  Deer fawns are born in mid spring.  Fawns have white spots on them when they hit the ground, at the same time the forest floor is spraling with white flowers that pop up every where. coincidence?  We along with many animals have baby teeth, and then as we or animals grow one by one the baby teeth get pushed out by adult teeth. coincidence?  You eat and drink and gravity kind of does the rest for you. coincidence? Good thing it doesn't go the other way.  You have a little hair on the back of your knuckles so that maby if you get a finger stuck somewhere maby you can have your finger back. coincidence?Lol.
    Butterflies & hummingbird can migrate so far including a 500 mile trip across the Gulf to me that's proof, but I'm sure there is a scientific reason for this that doesn't include God. ok.
    As far as prayer goes, no I don't hear voices in my head.  No it's not like talking to an imigianary friend.  It is hard to explain.  It's just a close personal
    relationship.  How does He talk or answer?  It's a combination of being patient, studying the bible a little every day.  I don't know how else to describe it, but the Holy Spirit is a very comforting presence that you can actually feel.  It's like a warmth, but not like heat from a furnace, but a warmth that warms the soul.  And then you see or get the answers as life unfolds around you.
    Thanks for your respectful question.

Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    riotgrlriotgrl LOUISVILLE Posts: 1,892
    RYME said:
    I believe that what I wrote above are facts.  You can believe what ever you want.
    How can anyone prove that God is real? Well yes a lot of it is faith.  And unfortunately I cannot bring Him to the front door of your house and show you Him, which is apparently what the people here need to see in order to believe.  I'm not being flippant.  But really.
    Well that's why I provided some scripture with my answer or non answer as it were.  The bible is my proof.  The intricacies of nature is proof to me.  The perfection, the way the oceans and seas have high tide & low tide every day feeding countless species on beaches around the globe.  The moon is set at the right distance to cause high tide, low tide, and often be a nice night light at the same time.. I think it rises and receeds about 5 feet in most cases, can you imagine the tonage on that?   The unbelievable camouflage on animals.  And the timing of it.  Deer fawns are born in mid spring.  Fawns have white spots on them when they hit the ground, at the same time the forest floor is spraling with white flowers that pop up every where. coincidence?  We along with many animals have baby teeth, and then as we or animals grow one by one the baby teeth get pushed out by adult teeth. coincidence?  You eat and drink and gravity kind of does the rest for you. coincidence? Good thing it doesn't go the other way.  You have a little hair on the back of your knuckles so that maby if you get a finger stuck somewhere maby you can have your finger back. coincidence?Lol.
    Butterflies & hummingbird can migrate so far including a 500 mile trip across the Gulf to me that's proof, but I'm sure there is a scientific reason for this that doesn't include God. ok.
    As far as prayer goes, no I don't hear voices in my head.  No it's not like talking to an imigianary friend.  It is hard to explain.  It's just a close personal
    relationship.  How does He talk or answer?  It's a combination of being patient, studying the bible a little every day.  I don't know how else to describe it, but the Holy Spirit is a very comforting presence that you can actually feel.  It's like a warmth, but not like heat from a furnace, but a warmth that warms the soul.  And then you see or get the answers as life unfolds around you.

Do you think you already have the answers but believing in God gives you the strength to trust what you already know?  Maybe finding just the right verse that you needed to read at just the right time is actually knowledge you already had but wasn't easily accessible from your unconscious?  

And as far as Bible as proof, I've asked a million times about how the Bible can be proof when Christianity is one of the youngest of the world religions.  So how can the Bible serve as proof when other religions have come first and when Christianity has taken pieces from several different religions?

These are legit questions that I have always had from being raised in the church but no one could ever answer these and a million other questions that I had. It was always hard for me to really believe when faith is the only thing you've got and in my opinion, it is hard to believe that Christianity is the one true religion when others had similar ideas long before the Christian, or even the Jewish god, came along.  I guess that's why I have ended up preferring science and history over religion as I've gotten older.  
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,519
    Yeah, it's always funny when Christians make fun of Mormons thinking they are crazy especially since it is so new yet they believe in something old.  Just weird to me. 

All religions are just a different form of crazy to me.
  • Options
    RYME said:

you know, I hear people use the natural world as the basis for their faith, or at least a partial basis, and I get that. because in many ways it makes sense to me that someone, someTHING, had to create all of these perfect scenarios, billions and billions of them, for it all to work. But why is that proof of a christian god as opposed to a supreme being that has nothing to do with the bible or jesus or moses or adam and eve? the earth is billions of years old. man has been here for a million. and god wrote his book only 2000 years ago? why? what took so long?

I used to have a "relationship" with god/jesus. and yes, it gave me that comfortable feeling you describe. then I realized, in my mind (around 19 or 20 years old), that organized religion was all hogwash, and the relationship I was having didn't actually exist. it seemed real at the time. what you describe is the same feeling people get when they meditate, or do yoga, or simply sit in nature and listen to the birds for an afternoon. or even go to the spa. 

honestly, a book that resonated with me more than the bible ever did was the Celestine Prophecy. 

again, whatever works for you as an individual, then that's great. my wife is christian, and she prays every day. 

peace. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,954
    Smellyman said:
    Yeah, it's always funny when Christians make fun of Mormons thinking they are crazy especially since it is so new yet they believe in something old.  Just weird to me. 

I actually respect the Jehovah's Witness and Mormon movements more than christianity.  At least they believe enough to go door to door to spread the word.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    Smellyman said:

I actually respect the Jehovah's Witness and Mormon movements more than christianity.  At least they believe enough to go door to door to spread the word.

But do they really believe more than adherents other sects? I doubt that. It's just a feature of how they express that. Some religions take pride in the fact that they don't proselytize in this manner, and personally I see that as more respectful.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Smellyman said:

But do they really believe more than adherents other sects? I doubt that. It's just a feature of how they express that. Some religions take pride in the fact that they don't proselytize in this manner, and personally I see that as more respectful.
    but if you are following the instructions of Jesus,  you are supposed to bother your neighbours spread his word. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Smellyman said:

but if you are following the instructions of Jesus,  you are supposed to bother your neighbours spread his word. 

Well, I was thinking of Judaism; Jesus isn't the only game in town ;)

And I don't know much about LDS but I don't think it's Jesus' instructions they are following.
  • Options
    Smellyman said:

Well, I was thinking of Judaism; Jesus isn't the only game in town ;)

And I don't know much about LDS but I don't think it's Jesus' instructions they are following.
    I know. I was saying that if christians were to follow jesus' instructions, they'd be the ones going door to door. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    RYME said:

you know, I hear people use the natural world as the basis for their faith, or at least a partial basis, and I get that. because in many ways it makes sense to me that someone, someTHING, had to create all of these perfect scenarios, billions and billions of them, for it all to work. But why is that proof of a christian god as opposed to a supreme being that has nothing to do with the bible or jesus or moses or adam and eve? the earth is billions of years old. man has been here for a million. and god wrote his book only 2000 years ago? why? what took so long?

I used to have a "relationship" with god/jesus. and yes, it gave me that comfortable feeling you describe. then I realized, in my mind (around 19 or 20 years old), that organized religion was all hogwash, and the relationship I was having didn't actually exist. it seemed real at the time. what you describe is the same feeling people get when they meditate, or do yoga, or simply sit in nature and listen to the birds for an afternoon. or even go to the spa. 

honestly, a book that resonated with me more than the bible ever did was the Celestine Prophecy. 

again, whatever works for you as an individual, then that's great. my wife is christian, and she prays every day. 

peace. 
    This says it so well for me- and I went through a similar personal realization. 

The way I understand it, life on earth and much of what we know of the known universe is explained by science.  What's left is a mystery too big and complex to simply describe by as recent a philosophy as Christianity.

And I don't mind that people have faith in Christ, but I would encourage believers to keep an open mind and not think (or act like) they have one up on the rest of us.

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Why does the left have a war on Christianity but embrace Islam?
  • Options
    Daddy what's a straw man fallacy?

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Ok, hide from the truth.
  • Options
    unsung said:
    Who... what the... huh?

• Options
    unsung said:
    where in this thread has anyone waged war on christianity? offering one's own perspective on spirituality is hardly war. and quite different from trying to prevent misinformation and bigotry to paint one religion with the same brush to justify war and human rights violations.

come on. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    unsung said:
    Ok, hide from the truth.
    What "truth"?  There is no war on christianity from the left and I don't know anyone on the left embracing Islam.

• Options
    unsung said:
    Or you could notice that the discussion is about the concept of "god", and not "the Christian god"