Options

The Concept of God

Comments

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited June 2017
    FoxyRedLa said:
    God is Spirit. Masculine terms are used and He is referred to as "Father".
    Who gave the masculine term to be accepted as official since it was written?  Women have no problem accepting a male overlord in a fictitious place but on earth it's a no go?
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    The intention is not to minimize women, He values man and woman the same. He's described as a man.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited June 2017
    FoxyRedLa said:
    The intention is not to minimize women, He values man and woman the same. He's described as a man.
    What a selfish prick.  god even gets people to describe him as a man.  If believers turn out to be right I will be pissed off as I would prefer to spend eternity with an almighty beautiful woman. (you're welcome dyer)
  • Options
    Honestly I don't know that God is described any specific characteristics. 
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    FoxyRedLa said:
    God made man in His image and then took Adam's rib and made Eve.
    Sounds pretty minimising to me.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Did we already talk about "rib" meaning something else? Rib. I don't think rib is literally a bone.
  • Options
    And again, I don't think God specifically has characteristics. 
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    FoxyRedLa said:
    Well in Judeo-Christianity and Islam at least, God is really clearly male.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,675
    PJ_Soul said:
    FoxyRedLa said:
    Well in Judeo-Christianity and Islam at least, God is really clearly male.
    Absolutely, and your explanation as to why God is always a male (page 15) is right on.

I don't mean to pick on any believers for your faith or beliefs and I do believe in freedom of religion, including non-religion or atheism, but when faith is used as leverage as control over another group of people or gender, it becomes invasive and corrosive. 

Of course, not all people of faith or churches operate in controlling ways.  Some churches allow or even encourage women to be pastors.  Episcopal priest Malcom Boyd (R.I.P.) was was outspoken about gay rights and was involved in the anti-Vietnam War movement and was one very loving and cool dude. 

Back in the 70's, while trying to embrace Christianity in the 70's (including attending a Bible Church in the Bay Area and two Baptist churches in the Bible-belt of western New York State), it became clear to me that my "faith" was, for me, a personal false choice.  I began to see that, for me, the guilt/fear tactic of "you must accept Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior or go to hell" just didn't add up and the peer pressure of those close to me who were devout Christians was also not reason enough for me to ignore my own logic and feeling and it all actually betrayed my true spiritual nature which, in my better, less selfish moments, is manifested though caring about the well-being of others and all life, a love of nature and an acceptance of the mysterious nature of what we cannot explain.

So when I hear Christians say, "I will pray that God will soften you and you will allow Him into your heart, I tend to think that's fine, but   I also sincerely hope that if one day you find yourself doubting the reality of your religion that you will forgive yourself and not allow guilt or unfounded fear to bury your true inner spirit.  Maybe keep open possibility that a higher power doesn't have to be male.  Maybe also consider the valid perception  that the universe is mysterious or possibly even explainable and maybe the only higher power is your own effort to be the best you can be.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    GG82556GG82556 Posts: 1
    The best way to describe God is infinite. ∞
    Almost everyone tries to label and box God into parameters they can understand.  He is the best definition of infinity.  Infinity can not be perceived to it's full extent, because we as living people can't comprehend the full concept of what God is.  I only use He/Father because that is how historically God has been referred to for thousands of years.  God has no gender I believe in the sense we can comprehend it.
    And yes I do believe in God in the Christian belief.  Jesus died for my sins and the sins of all people.  I am born again.  I was once a sceptic/agnostic/atheist /doubter.  
    As I learn more about Jesus/God/The Holy Ghost/The Bible the better I feel about my life and what will happen to me when I die.  I believe in miracles, I see them everyday.  Everyday I wake up with my wife the love of my life beside me is a small miracle.
    The fact that I am not dead from all the stupid things I did when I was younger is a miracle.  I have a roof over my head, food in my belly, and a job that pays the bills and leaves me some extra money to occasionally buy things nobody really needs and I am able to contribute what I feel comfortable giving to my church on Sunday is a miracle.  I am very fortunate to have found a church full of some of the most wonderful people I've met.
    I know my church isn't in it for the money, they are in it for what all Christians should be doing...  Spreading the gospel and hopefully gather new believers that will be saved liked I am now.  That is the essence of the Great Commission.  If I give my church money it is because I want to, not because they want me to.  I know where that money goes, my church is very transparent in where the money goes.  They have to pay for electricity/heat/ac/water/building maintenance/improvements, they also support many outside missionaries, and the people who help run the church as their full time job also need salaries.  This includes the Pastor, Associate Pastor, Secretary, Bookkeeper, and Maintenance/Janitorial staff.  my church also helps support many causes be it a Christian organization, or a hungry person who comes in asking for help with paying for a meal or place to stay.   I pray everyone can find a church as great as the one I have been able to join.
    I know not all churches are good.  Some are greedy, teach false messages and have sketchy doctrine.  If your church is teaching a prosperity doctrine, or that by doing good works will get you a free ride into heaven run away!  Not everyone will find their rewards in this lifetime, we will only find our rewards when we have passed on.  I pray everyone can find the true message of God.  I am still learning how to be a better Christian and human being.

Sorry have to wrap this up it's getting late, and I should be asleep.  I pray you all will come know Jesus, the closer I get to him the better my life gets.

Here's a few of my favorite verses.
    Romans 3:23
    All have sinned and fall short of the glory of god.

John 3:16-17
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Ephesians 2:8-9
    For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God; Not of works, lest any man should boast. 

Acts 3:19
    Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out.

• Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    rgambs said:
    Those are all just words.
    Was he the yoke for those who were tortured in the Holocaust?

I'm sure that was a great comfort for them.
    If there is a God, He needs to ask THEM for forgiveness.

Amazing.  I'm not talking down to you.  But seriously your going to blame God for the holocost and all the torcher involved?
    I'm sure that you are far more college educated than I.  Did you see or read about the 1936 Olympics?  That was quite the closing ceremony wasn't it.
  • Options
    RYME said:
    rgambs said:

Amazing.  I'm not talking down to you.  But seriously your going to blame God for the holocost and all the torcher involved?
    I'm sure that you are far more college educated than I.  Did you see or read about the 1936 Olympics?  That was quite the closing ceremony wasn't it.
    Education has nothing to do with it, you can't claim "it's all part of His plan" and then say, "well except for the Holocaust, He must have been on vacation."

You are abdicating your responsibility to think rationally.

• Options
    FoxyRedLa said:
    Did we already talk about "rib" meaning something else? Rib. I don't think rib is literally a bone.
    Doesn't matter if it's literal of figurative, it is still clear: God made man, then God made woman from man.  
    The subordination is clear, and it doesn't end there, it is explicit throughout the Bible.
  • Options
    GG82556 said:
    Almost everyone tries to label and box God into parameters they can understand.  He is the best definition of infinity.  Infinity can not be perceived to it's full extent, because we as living people can't comprehend the full concept of what God is.  I only use He/Father because that is how historically God has been referred to for thousands of years.  God has no gender I believe in the sense we can comprehend it.
    And yes I do believe in God in the Christian belief.  Jesus died for my sins and the sins of all people.  I am born again.  I was once a sceptic/agnostic/atheist /doubter.  
    As I learn more about Jesus/God/The Holy Ghost/The Bible the better I feel about my life and what will happen to me when I die.  I believe in miracles, I see them everyday.  Everyday I wake up with my wife the love of my life beside me is a small miracle.
    The fact that I am not dead from all the stupid things I did when I was younger is a miracle.  I have a roof over my head, food in my belly, and a job that pays the bills and leaves me some extra money to occasionally buy things nobody really needs and I am able to contribute what I feel comfortable giving to my church on Sunday is a miracle.  I am very fortunate to have found a church full of some of the most wonderful people I've met.
    I know my church isn't in it for the money, they are in it for what all Christians should be doing...  Spreading the gospel and hopefully gather new believers that will be saved liked I am now.  That is the essence of the Great Commission.  If I give my church money it is because I want to, not because they want me to.  I know where that money goes, my church is very transparent in where the money goes.  They have to pay for electricity/heat/ac/water/building maintenance/improvements, they also support many outside missionaries, and the people who help run the church as their full time job also need salaries.  This includes the Pastor, Associate Pastor, Secretary, Bookkeeper, and Maintenance/Janitorial staff.  my church also helps support many causes be it a Christian organization, or a hungry person who comes in asking for help with paying for a meal or place to stay.   I pray everyone can find a church as great as the one I have been able to join.
    I know not all churches are good.  Some are greedy, teach false messages and have sketchy doctrine.  If your church is teaching a prosperity doctrine, or that by doing good works will get you a free ride into heaven run away!  Not everyone will find their rewards in this lifetime, we will only find our rewards when we have passed on.  I pray everyone can find the true message of God.  I am still learning how to be a better Christian and human being.

Sorry have to wrap this up it's getting late, and I should be asleep.  I pray you all will come know Jesus, the closer I get to him the better my life gets.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God; Not of works, lest any man should boast. 

Never made any sense to me, at all.
    Would you punish your daughter so you can forgive your son's transgressions?  No, because that makes no sense.
    You forgive someone because they are sorry, plain and simple.
    You don't punish someone else on their behalf, you don't make them use a special codeword and ask for forgiveness the right way.
    Those are not decent behaviours, they are childish and capricious.

If God can look into our hearts and see that we are sorry, and he still punishes us because we didn't observe the proper ritual for forgiveness, that is bullshit.
    It is also a cornerstone of the Christian faith.
  • Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited June 2017
    GG82556 said:

God Bless You GG.  And I pray that God Bless each and every one of you here regardless of your position.
     I have tried to pass some of this on here to as you might have seen.
    GG has layed it out better than I have.
    We just keep trying to fight the good fight.
    Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,949
    RYME said:
    rgambs said:

I blame god for torture.  Absolutely.

If god is all powerful he could stop it.  If he doesn't want to stop it he is not worth praise.  If he can't stop it he isn't all powerful and is not worth praise.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    RYME said:
    GG82556 said:

God Bless You GG.  And I pray that God Bless each and every one of you here regardless of your position.
    people ask me why it bothers me when someone says "I pray for you". here is my answer: to say "I pray for you" to me is the same as saying "I pity you", like they somehow believe their life is better than mine without any actual knowledge, and/or think they have some power to make it better by just their thoughts. that's just one of the many problems I have with the arrogance of faith. part of it is, admittedly, bias, as I have been subjected to this nonsense for 20 years since my brother became born again. it is unbearable how he (and his wife and now-adult son who is probably going to be come a minister-he honestly creeps me out with how he doesn't seem to be able to think for himself in any way shape or form) talks like he "knows" what I need and that some magical being loves me and is my father. not to mention his views on homosexuality. 

this has been mentioned, but what is the use of prayer if god has no power of enactment?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    FoxyRedLa said:
    What a selfish prick.  god even gets people to describe him as a man.  If believers turn out to be right I will be pissed off as I would prefer to spend eternity with an almighty beautiful woman. (you're welcome dyer)
    :plus_one:
    Still isn't definitive, tho. :lol:
  • Options
    RYME said:
    GG82556 said:

What does that mean, for God to bless you?
    Is it like a gift or a reward?
    Are blessings given at random, by merit, or when they are asked for?
    What does that mean for those who don't get blessed?

• Options
    God is male. God is spirit.  Man is god's image.  God is infinity.  God has no gender.

I'm confused now.  Which bathroom does god use?
  • Options
    I believe God is the trinity, three forms. God is Spirit and as stated above I agree hasn't been described to have gender characteristics. Jesus in physical form, God revealed Himself as a man.

I do NOT believe wo-man is second to man. I'll choose literal. God took a rib from Adam, did not create Eve from dust as He did Adam. Man vs Woman created differently. Woman was originally made from man. Which leads to both genders were created actually the same. Which leads to two  make one. Which leads to female is not a different being and definitely not second to male - :whistle: for God's sakes!! Eve was created to strengthen Adam. Eve is made from the same as Adam and is just as perfect of a creation. 

Woman was made from man, just as powerful and companion for man. Man and woman. Two halves. Flesh becomes one.

God is not evil.

Earth is not God's world.
  • Options
    FoxyRedLa said:
    I believe God is the trinity, three forms. God is Spirit and as stated above I agree hasn't been described to have gender characteristics. Jesus in physical form, God revealed Himself as a man.

I do NOT believe wo-man is second to man. I'll choose literal. God took a rib from Adam, did not create Eve from dust as He did Adam. Man vs Woman created differently. Woman was originally made from man. Which leads to both genders were created actually the same. Which leads to two  make one. Which leads to female is not a different being and definitely not second to male - :whistle: for God's sakes!! Eve was created to strengthen Adam. Eve is made from the same as Adam and is just as perfect of a creation. 

Woman was made from man, just as powerful and companion for man. Man and woman. Two halves. Flesh becomes one.

God is not evil.

Earth is not God's world.
    she was created to strengthen adam, but then took him and the rest of civilization down. sounds like Adam 2.0 was a complete failure. :lol:
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 653
    RYME said:
    GG82556 said:

people ask me why it bothers me when someone says "I pray for you". here is my answer: to say "I pray for you" to me is the same as saying "I pity you", like they somehow believe their life is better than mine without any actual knowledge, and/or think they have some power to make it better by just their thoughts. that's just one of the many problems I have with the arrogance of faith. part of it is, admittedly, bias, as I have been subjected to this nonsense for 20 years since my brother became born again. it is unbearable how he (and his wife and now-adult son who is probably going to be come a minister-he honestly creeps me out with how he doesn't seem to be able to think for himself in any way shape or form) talks like he "knows" what I need and that some magical being loves me and is my father. not to mention his views on homosexuality. 

this has been mentioned, but what is the use of prayer if god has no power of enactment?
    It's not about pity. That has nothing to do with it. I get it though because unfortunately, there are people out there that say "I'll pray for you" when they do think they're better than you because they're a believer and you're not. But they're not and they're misguided in their faith. Think of it like someone saying have a nice day. When someone says that to you, do you automatically think "do they think they're having a better day than me?". No, you're more than likely going to say thanks and say it right back at them. For the majority of Christians, when they say "I'll pray for you for , It's more of a "I hope you get what you want, or what you're looking for, or that you find comfort if something bad has happened". Like if you have a big job interview coming up and someone says, oh, well I'll pray for you. They're more than likely just wishing you the best, that you'll ace it and get what you want. And I don't know your brother, so I can't say what his mindset is. I would HOPE, it's him just saying that he's wishing nothing but the best, but I don't know.

• Options
    ponytd said:
    RYME said:
    GG82556 said:

It's not about pity. That has nothing to do with it. I get it though because unfortunately, there are people out there that say "I'll pray for you" when they do think they're better than you because they're a believer and you're not. But they're not and they're misguided in their faith. Think of it like someone saying have a nice day. When someone says that to you, do you automatically think "do they think they're having a better day than me?". No, you're more than likely going to say thanks and say it right back at them. For the majority of Christians, when they say "I'll pray for you for , It's more of a "I hope you get what you want, or what you're looking for, or that you find comfort if something bad has happened". Like if you have a big job interview coming up and someone says, oh, well I'll pray for you. They're more than likely just wishing you the best, that you'll ace it and get what you want. And I don't know your brother, so I can't say what his mindset is. I would HOPE, it's him just saying that he's wishing nothing but the best, but I don't know.

The sentiment may be as innocent as you say, but the language is not.

• Options
    ponytd said:
    RYME said:
    GG82556 said:

I'll try to think of it like that going forward. thanks. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    God is male. God is spirit.  Man is god's image.  God is infinity.  God has no gender.

And does he use the fly?  Does he sit or stand when he pees?
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

Haha!
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    I don't understand how people can really believe that when we die we just die, and it's the end of it. It's hard for me to grasp.
  • Options
    ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 653
    rgambs said:
    ponytd said:
    RYME said:
    GG82556 said:

The sentiment may be as innocent as you say, but the language is not.

How so?
  • Options
    KC138045 said:

And does he use the fly?  Does he sit or stand when he pees?
    :rofl:
    Whatever he does, I hope he doesn't dribble on Soul's seat.