Options

Has the 16 year "War On Terror" made you feel safer?

Comments

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    I won't go to Europe again.  Locally I am aware and ready as best as I can be if the need should arise where I need to defend.  I hope I never have to.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Same
    unsung said:
    I won't go to Europe again.  Locally I am aware and ready as best as I can be if the need should arise where I need to defend.  I hope I never have to.
    Paranoia is the only way to define this.
    I can't wait to go back to Europe, I'd be more likely to get struck by lightning than be involved in a terror attack. 
    You're probably more likely to suffer a firearm malfunction than a terror attack for goodness sake.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,619
    mace1229 said:
    This was hard because I felt I needed a different option, I don't feel more safe from terrorism than I did 16 years ago, I actually feel less safe. But that is probably partly because we are just more aware of it and the growing threat around the world. But I chose safer because even though the world is becoming more violent, I think I am less vulnerable to the increasing violence than I otherwise would be. Countries less involved in the counter-terrorism effort are still being attacked, so I don't think we are more of a target as a result of this war, but it heightens our awareness at a personal and government level which increases our safety.
    I disagree that it's becoming more violent. Even the one link in the thread doesn't support the thought that it's more violent. 
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,241
    mace1229 said:
    This was hard because I felt I needed a different option, I don't feel more safe from terrorism than I did 16 years ago, I actually feel less safe. But that is probably partly because we are just more aware of it and the growing threat around the world. But I chose safer because even though the world is becoming more violent, I think I am less vulnerable to the increasing violence than I otherwise would be. Countries less involved in the counter-terrorism effort are still being attacked, so I don't think we are more of a target as a result of this war, but it heightens our awareness at a personal and government level which increases our safety.
    I disagree that it's becoming more violent. Even the one link in the thread doesn't support the thought that it's more violent. 
    The Atlantic did a story last year that indicates terrorism has increased dramatically since 2000, but there are caveats to the data, as they pointed out.

"Between 2000 and 2014, less than 3 percent of deaths from terrorism occurred in Western countries, according to the Institute for Economics and Peace."

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2016/07/terrorism-isis-global-america/490352/
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    No
    I actually feel less safe knowing that my own government can invade my privacy any time they want under the guise of "homeland security."
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001
    Yes
    mace1229 said:
    We are more aware and witness to worldly violence at least. It wasnt in the news every with video available day like it is now.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,542
    edited May 2017
    rgambs said:
    unsung said:
    Paranoia is the only way to define this.
    I can't wait to go back to Europe, I'd be more likely to get struck by lightning than be involved in a terror attack. 
    You're probably more likely to suffer a firearm malfunction than a terror attack for goodness sake.
    You are absolutely correct on all points.
    Plus living a life of paranoia and fear is sad.
    You aren't  here forever  so why waste so much time and energy bring afraid. 

If you're  afraid to travel because  of terrorism fears then the terrorists have won.

• Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    Did the War on Drugs works?  Or the War on Poverty?  You can't declare war on an intangible idea like Terror.  

WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    No
    I actually feel less safe knowing that my own government can invade my privacy any time they want under the guise of "homeland security."

now we are talking...
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,241
    I think this was mentioned in another thread, but the Manchester bombing is a perfect example of how US citizens are easily swayed to believe we need a stronger response to terror and thus justifies the bombing in Afghanistan or missile launches in Syria. We know that children were targeted and killed in Manchester, but to this day I have yet to hear, see or read anything on the demographics of those ISIS "fighters" who were killed by the MOAB. Doesn't anyone find that a bit odd? I have no way of knowing this, but I would estimate that there were women and children who died in that bombing. I don't know what their contributions to the cause were or what level of involvement they had, but the US needs to quit hiding behind our military actions.

The US citizens may have no clue who was killed, but you better believe the locals and those supporting ISIS know and it furthers their agenda when we aren't publicly open about what the full story is. That bombing has disappeared from US media and attention even though we still don't know exactly what was destroyed or who was killed.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,717
    No
    tbergs said:
    I think this was mentioned in another thread, but the Manchester bombing is a perfect example of how US citizens are easily swayed to believe we need a stronger response to terror and thus justifies the bombing in Afghanistan or missile launches in Syria. We know that children were targeted and killed in Manchester, but to this day I have yet to hear, see or read anything on the demographics of those ISIS "fighters" who were killed by the MOAB. Doesn't anyone find that a bit odd? I have no way of knowing this, but I would estimate that there were women and children who died in that bombing. I don't know what their contributions to the cause were or what level of involvement they had, but the US needs to quit hiding behind our military actions.

The US citizens may have no clue who was killed, but you better believe the locals and those supporting ISIS know and it furthers their agenda when we aren't publicly open about what the full story is. That bombing has disappeared from US media and attention even though we still don't know exactly what was destroyed or who was killed.
    Well said, tbergs.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    No
    +1
    Every time I go through metal detectors at stadiums, or full body scanners at airports after removing my shoes and belt, I'm reminded that we have already lost the war on terror, and the biggest loss was personal liberty. The war on terror was a wonderful tool for the feds to increase control over their citizenry. Just call it a safety measure, wrap a bow on it, and people are happy to bend over.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534
    No
    jeffbr said:
    +1
    Every time I go through metal detectors at stadiums, or full body scanners at airports after removing my shoes and belt, I'm reminded that we have already lost the war on terror, and the biggest loss was personal liberty. The war on terror was a wonderful tool for the feds to increase control over their citizenry. Just call it a safety measure, wrap a bow on it, and people are happy to bend over.
    Do you really think that going through airport security or a metal detector at a stadium compromises your personal liberty? How so?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,601
    Same
    Why is it that most people who are so concerned with terrorism are also the ones who are least likely to be directly impacted by it?
  • Options
    No
    Why is it that most people who are so concerned with terrorism are also the ones who are least likely to be directly impacted by it?
    Hmm. Your question makes me ask "who is most concerned about terrorism but least likely to be directly impacted by it?.... is the answer Americans?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,601
    Same
    PJ_Soul said:
    Hmm. Your question makes me ask "who is most concerned about terrorism but least likely to be directly impacted by it?.... is the answer Americans?
    To me, rural Americans who typically vote Republican, while liberal centers that will actually be attacked are significantly less concerned.  Like the vast majority of New York City does not want to keep Muslims out, but the vast majority of Alabama probably does.  If a terrorist slips through, I wonder where he's headed
  • Options
    No
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:
    +1
    Do you really think that going through airport security or a metal detector at a stadium compromises your personal liberty? How so?
    Partially undressing at the airport is simply a reminder that measures have been put in place in all facets of our lives to limit our ability to go about our daily lives. I'm older, so I remember everyone meeting friends and family at the gate of an airport. I remember walking into the airport, up to the gate, and onto a plane. No hours long lines to be screened to enter a terminal after removing articles of clothing, and unpacking half your carry-on. But that is in no way my biggest concern in terms of encroachment on my liberties. The Patriot Act is what concerns me the most. The examples I gave are simply reminders that we lost the war on terror. The Patriot Act is the nefarious result of that. Those other things are simply trivial and inconvenient reminders.
  • Options
    No
    jeffbr said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:
    +1
    Partially undressing at the airport is simply a reminder that measures have been put in place in all facets of our lives to limit our ability to go about our daily lives. I'm older, so I remember everyone meeting friends and family at the gate of an airport. I remember walking into the airport, up to the gate, and onto a plane. No hours long lines to be screened to enter a terminal after removing articles of clothing, and unpacking half your carry-on. But that is in no way my biggest concern in terms of encroachment on my liberties. The Patriot Act is what concerns me the most. The examples I gave are simply reminders that we lost the war on terror. The Patriot Act is the nefarious result of that. Those other things are simply trivial and inconvenient reminders.
    I also remember almost total freedom at the airport (I'm not "older" goddammit, lol). But I don't at all feel like my personal liberty is compromised by enhanced security at airports, and I have been randomly selected for an enhanced security check before. I actually fully appreciated increased security measures at airports and at stadiums for the most part (although I recently found out about US stadiums only allowing a women to bring in a 4.5" x 6" bag, which is absolutely ridiculous, so sometimes these measures are a little overboard). But yes, if we're talking about Patriot Act shit, like detaining people without cause, etc etc, I agree, liberty has been lost unnecessarily. I think the US government (and some other governments) tend to fail miserably when it comes to addressing subtleties that could be incorporated into laws and measures. They tend to go with the sledgehammer method instead, and IMO that always ends up violating liberty one way or another.
  • Options
    No
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:
    +1
    I also remember almost total freedom at the airport (I'm not "older" goddammit, lol). But I don't at all feel like my personal liberty is compromised by enhanced security at airports, and I have been randomly selected for an enhanced security check before. I actually fully appreciated increased security measures at airports and at stadiums for the most part (although I recently found out about US stadiums only allowing a women to bring in a 4.5" x 6" bag, which is absolutely ridiculous, so sometimes these measures are a little overboard). But yes, if we're talking about Patriot Act shit, like detaining people without cause, etc etc, I agree, liberty has been lost unnecessarily. I think the US government (and some other governments) tend to fail miserably when it comes to addressing subtleties that could be incorporated into laws and measures. They tend to go with the sledgehammer method instead, and IMO that always ends up violating liberty one way or another.
    I think we're pretty much on the same page. I understand those couple of things I listed are simply inconveniences, but for me they are reminders of the bigger things we've lost. And yes, the small, clear bag policy drove my wife a little crazy for sure! It felt like they were trying to create policies to address issues that were so unlikely that it would be like having mandated precautions against lightening strikes for anyone walking around outside. Sure, it is possible that I'll be struck by lightening, but I can't live my life as if it were going to suddenly happen at any moment.

Domestic spying, loss of privacy, search and seizure, detention of travelers, photographers (especially those with pigmented skin) being hassled for taking pictures in public, are all things that have become more commonplace since 9/11, and are the issues I am truly concerned with. Good point about subtlety vs the sledgehammer approach.
  • Options
    I'm happy for airport security.

Can anyone seriously say they would rather go back to the less stringent methodology of screening passengers and luggage employed two decades ago?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    No

Can anyone seriously say they would rather go back to the less stringent methodology of screening passengers and luggage employed two decades ago?
    No one is saying that.
  • Options
    No

I grant you it would be impossible to go back to, now that the cat is out of the bag. But I never felt fear travelling 2 decades ago. And I wouldn't be particularly concerned now if I didn't have to go through all of the obstacles to get on a flight. If someone wants to get a bomb on a plane, they'll get a bomb on the plane. I'm sure the heightened security has helped thwart attacks. I'm also sure that it has created a false sense of security. There are plenty of reports of things getting past security. I think those security checks create the illusion of security for the benefit of those who live in fear.
  • Options

No one is saying that.
    People are kind of saying it. You can't bemoan it... and not appreciate it at the same time.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,106
    What would it be like without the War on Terror?  Tough to know the answer to this.  Has the war on terror lead to more attacks?  Less attacks? No effects?  How do you answer that question?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,106
    jeffbr said:
    +1
    I don't know, if you think having to go through an Xray to go into a crowded stadium of 60-100k people is an affront to your personal liberty....I'm not sure what to say.  After attending many games of all kinds, I'm generally glad they are there....especially when I'm rooting for the visiting team.  People are crazy and America is gun crazy....I want them going through x-rays! 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    it might as well be called the War on Poltergeists as far as I'm concerned. it means nothing. it's a way to try to put the minds of americans at ease over terror attacks. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,877
    Yes
    If the us did leave the middle east do you think isis would stabilize or implode?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited May 2017
    No
    mcgruff10 said:
    If the us did leave the middle east do you think isis would stabilize or implode?
    You break it, you own it

Colin Powell

My question is what if we never went in, and handled it completely differently

I don't think people still realize the damage that was done to the world by W, Cheney, and crew after 9/11.... 
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    I don't think it would have an effect on it one way or the other. the damage is done, they will continue to be able to recruit based on what has happened already and what they view as the continuted corruption of their people to evil western ways. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited May 2017
    No
    I don't think it would have an effect on it one way or the other. the damage is done, they will continue to be able to recruit based on what has happened already and what they view as the continuted corruption of their people to evil western ways. 
    I think you're right. At this point, it doesn't seem to me like the US's involvement is doing any good at all, that's for sure. It's not like things are much better than they would have been if the US wasn't all up in their business now, lol. The US has not halted the Taliban or anybody in Syria or anyone who terrorizes and rapes and kills people. Hell, the US hasn't even managed to help anything in the Israeli/Palestinian dispute. The US isn't helping shit! And now Trump won't even help out any refugees who are suffering partly because of what the US has done in the past. So what the fuck good are they in the Middle East?? Obviously the US only cares about oil/money. The is the ONLY reason they are still there. The US government clearly doesn't give a flying fuck about humanitarian issues there and it obviously isn't doing a thing to stop tyrannical governments from causing more suffering or instability in the region, and Middle Eastern terrorism hasn't even slowed down. So yeah, since the US is doing squat in the Middle East as far as humanitarianism or peace goes, I do think the US and all allies should pull out 100%. Yes, the whole damn place could implode.... but isn't it already doing that?? The MIddle East is blowing up one way or another with or without the US's help IMO, for better or worse in the long run, so I would prefer that it implode without the US and allies spending trillions of dollars and killing hoards of people to make it happen.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on