Options

Temple Of The Dog 2

2»

Comments

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,529
    mcgruff10 said:
    The vast majority of us have less than ten work days to grieve a child, mother, or father before heading back to work so it boggles my mind that some of you think it is insensitive or ignorant to ask musicians to come together and create songs to mourn a fellow musician. 
    I agree.   Maybe they write a few songs for a single but I would expect there will be a song on the next album that pays tribute.  Would be interesting to have a collaboration of Kim Thayil and Be Shepherd with PJ.
  • Options
    Bulldog88Bulldog88 Posts: 380

The difference between "have to" and "ready to" is vast. Most of us have had to go back to work long before we were ready after losing someone, due to not being able to support our lifestyle if we did not. Pearl Jam does not have this pressure impending on the time they would like to take to grieve this loss. I think some folks here are trying to be sensitive to the fact that it will not be 'business as usual' for quite sometime, and that is personal and up to each of them.

• Options
    AafkeAafke Posts: 1,219
    I think it is entirely up to each individual to grieve in his or her own way, TOTD was was the way Chris Cornell and the remaining members of Mother Love Bone, grieved about the loss of Andy Woods. They made a jewel out of their grieving proces. But I don't think it is right to expect, PJ, Soundgarden or any other musician to grieve in the same way. TOTD was made without expectations from anyone but the members who made it, to process through their loss. Let each person who grieves about the loss of Chris Cornell, have the time and space to morn about him in their own way, without expecting such a jewel as TOTD in result. 
    Waves_zps6b028461.jpg
    "The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed".- Carl Jung.
    "Art does not reproduce what we see; rather, it makes us see."- Paul Klee
  • Options
    Stryker said:

I don't see the hunger to make music from this group of people (except for Mike McCready).  It is natural  after 30+ years in the business and having families and young kids.

I couldn't possibly disagree with this statement more.

The facts don't back you up though.

You would think that if people really wanted to make a record together, and they tour about 6 weeks on average a year and have the rest of the year to devote to their interests, would make a damn record.  I'm not knocking the band.  I'm just giving my opinion based on what I see.  Usually if people really want to do something, and they have the time and money to do it, they would do it.   Remember, it takes them 3-6 weeks of studio time to record an album based on what they said about Lightning Bolt being done in two 3 week sessions.   We all spend most of our life working when we don't want to.  If we had the time and money we wouldn't work so much and do stuff we really wanted to do.  It sounds like Pearl Jam doesn't want to spend their whole life being Pearl Jam and have the time and money not to.

First 12 years:  7 albums

Ten - 1991

Vs. - 1993

Vitalogy - 1994

No Code - 1996

Yield - 1998

Binaural - 2000

Riot Act - 2002

Last 16 years: 4 albums

Pearl Jam - 2006

Backspacer - 2009

Lightning Bolt - 2013

New album - 2018 probably

the real fact that is being missed here: at least one band member hates touring (the travel portion of it). when you record an album, that's when the machine kicks into high gear. promotional videos need to be done, promo spots need to be scheduled, and then jeff's work with all the art and merch and whatnot; it's not just 'let's bang out a record and play a few dates'. there's a tonne of work that goes into it. at this point, that part is maybe less appealing to them. 

if they wanted to, they could pull an rem and just put out a record and not tour. but that would be devastating for fans. and i'm sure they still love performing. you can't pull off 3 hour shows with a smile on your face and sweat in your eyes and not dig it. 
     Not to derail the thread, I've never heard one of the band members hates touring. Where was that said? Not doubting you, just curious as to who said it...
    The best revenge is to live on and prove yourself - EV

• Options
    wnh1977wnh1977 Iowa Posts: 579
    edited May 2017
    Stryker said:

I don't see the hunger to make music from this group of people (except for Mike McCready).  It is natural  after 30+ years in the business and having families and young kids.

You would think that if people really wanted to make a record together, and they tour about 6 weeks on average a year and have the rest of the year to devote to their interests, would make a damn record.  I'm not knocking the band.  I'm just giving my opinion based on what I see.  Usually if people really want to do something, and they have the time and money to do it, they would do it.   Remember, it takes them 3-6 weeks of studio time to record an album based on what they said about Lightning Bolt being done in two 3 week sessions.   We all spend most of our life working when we don't want to.  If we had the time and money we wouldn't work so much and do stuff we really wanted to do.  It sounds like Pearl Jam doesn't want to spend their whole life being Pearl Jam and have the time and money not to.

Ten - 1991

Vs. - 1993

Vitalogy - 1994

No Code - 1996

Yield - 1998

Binaural - 2000

Riot Act - 2002

Pearl Jam - 2006

Backspacer - 2009

Lightning Bolt - 2013

the real fact that is being missed here: at least one band member hates touring (the travel portion of it). when you record an album, that's when the machine kicks into high gear. promotional videos need to be done, promo spots need to be scheduled, and then jeff's work with all the art and merch and whatnot; it's not just 'let's bang out a record and play a few dates'. there's a tonne of work that goes into it. at this point, that part is maybe less appealing to them. 

if they wanted to, they could pull an rem and just put out a record and not tour. but that would be devastating for fans. and i'm sure they still love performing. you can't pull off 3 hour shows with a smile on your face and sweat in your eyes and not dig it. 
    Nothing you said is inconsistent with my point, but additional reasons that support my point.  The point being they don't have a passion to join together as Pearl Jam to make a record.

They still like music and do solo stuff, but I am referring to Pearl Jam.
    This is veering towards a discussion that was covered in an earlier thread: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/263871/heart-broken/p1

Similar points were made during that thread about the time in-between albums and hunger to be productive within PJ.  My basic point was that I understand it, but I can wish things were different.  I can understand that they're 50+, families, wealthy, and want to do other things.  But sure, I'd love to see them challenge themselves, try to be the best in the world, be relevant in the here and now.  We have Backspacer and Lightning Bolt to show for the last 10 years, and a whole hell of a lot of nostalgia (PJ20, remastered albums, Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame induction).  

This thread is kind of all over the place with people hoping for a Temple project to honor Chris, people getting offended about hoping for such a thing, then veering to PJ's productivity.  And that's ok!
    1998: 6/26, 6/27, 6/29
    2000: 8/15, 8/18, 10/9, 10/11, 10/12
    2003: 6/18, 6/21, 6/22
    2005: 9/9, 9/28
    2006:5/16, 5/17, 6/26, 6/27
    2007: 8/5
    2009: 8/23, 8/24
    2010: 5/3, 5/4, 5/21
    2011: 9/3, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12
    2013: 7/19, 11/16
    2014: 10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 10/17
    2016: 4/16, 8/20, 8/22
    2018: 8/18, 8/20, 9/2
    2022: 9/18
    2023: 8/31, 9/2, 9/5
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Stryker said:

Ten - 1991

Vs. - 1993

Vitalogy - 1994

No Code - 1996

Yield - 1998

Binaural - 2000

Riot Act - 2002

Pearl Jam - 2006

Backspacer - 2009

Lightning Bolt - 2013

Not to derail the thread, I've never heard one of the band members hates touring. Where was that said? Not doubting you, just curious as to who said it...
    Jeff. He said it in an interview. It was part of an interview where he said "but if it finances my charitable causes, then I'll do it". Paraphrasing, of course. Again, he said he hated touring, not performing. I think tha't why in the future they will be playing residencies. Mike has said he would love to do it, it might appease Jeff, so that just leaves 3 others to convince. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    raindog80raindog80 Reggio Emilia, Italy Posts: 1,141

There will never be a Temple of the Dog 2.  It is not 1991 anymore where there are a bunch of anonymous musicians who can make music for the love of making music and to honor their friend. 

Maybe it could happen but I highly doubt there could be something as organic and special as TOTD again.  I don't see the hunger to make music from this group of people (except for Mike McCready).  It is natural  after 30+ years in the business and having families and young kids.

There will never be a TOTD2.
    "I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things" - Tom Waits
    pearljamonline.it
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,099
    edited May 2017
    raindog80 said:

There will never be a Temple of the Dog 2.  It is not 1991 anymore where there are a bunch of anonymous musicians who can make music for the love of making music and to honor their friend. 

Maybe it could happen but I highly doubt there could be something as organic and special as TOTD again.  I don't see the hunger to make music from this group of people (except for Mike McCready).  It is natural  after 30+ years in the business and having families and young kids.

I agree.   They're pretty much all Chris Cornell songs that he invited the other guys to play on?  I think he wrote almost the whole album (with a few credits to some of the other members).    I don't really understand how you get a sequel.    If Eddie sang on it, then it's pretty much pearl jam.

I think the original was something organic that came at a time where the spotlight wasn't on them.   I don't think that circumstance can be re-created.  I could see these tragic events having a heavy influence on the next PJ record though....  It's probably something that will weigh heavy on their hearts for a long time.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,300
    Zod said:
    raindog80 said:

I agree.   They're pretty much all Chris Cornell songs that he invited the other guys to play on?  I think he wrote almost the whole album (with a few credits to some of the other members).    I don't really understand how you get a sequel.    If Eddie sang on it, then it's pretty much pearl jam.

Mostly Chris.  Stone wrote 3 of the 10 songs
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    Zod said:
    raindog80 said:

I think the original was something organic that came at a time where the spotlight wasn't on them.   I don't think that circumstance can be re-created.  I could see these tragic events having a heavy influence on the next PJ record though....  It's probably something that will weigh heavy on their hearts for a long time.
    that's it right there. Chris, and many of the other guys in TOTD, said repeatedly, and it's even in the liner notes of the record, it couldn't have happened any other way than it did. Chris sent the tape of two or three songs to Jeff, he convinced Chris to record them, and he asked Stone and Jeff to join him in doing so. Chris wrote more songs, Stone wrote a couple. No label pressure, no media pressure, no one even knew it existed outside of seattle for a year after it was made. that couldn't happen today. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    ShanKathyShanKathy Edmonton, Alberta Posts: 308
    Zod said:
    that's it right there. Chris, and many of the other guys in TOTD, said repeatedly, and it's even in the liner notes of the record, it couldn't have happened any other way than it did. Chris sent the tape of two or three songs to Jeff, he convinced Chris to record them, and he asked Stone and Jeff to join him in doing so. Chris wrote more songs, Stone wrote a couple. No label pressure, no media pressure, no one even knew it existed outside of seattle for a year after it was made. that couldn't happen today. 
    Jeff also contributed music to TOTD - he co-wrote Pushing Forward Back.
  • Options
    Stryker said:

Ten - 1991

Vs. - 1993

Vitalogy - 1994

No Code - 1996

Yield - 1998

Binaural - 2000

Riot Act - 2002

Pearl Jam - 2006

Backspacer - 2009

Lightning Bolt - 2013

Jeff. He said it in an interview. It was part of an interview where he said "but if it finances my charitable causes, then I'll do it". Paraphrasing, of course. Again, he said he hated touring, not performing. I think tha't why in the future they will be playing residencies. Mike has said he would love to do it, it might appease Jeff, so that just leaves 3 others to convince. 
    Gotcha! Thanks for that. I would hope they continue to tour for my own selfish reasons, but I can imagine as time goes by they would be less than thrilled to be away from their families. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see things slow down touring wise, but if it's coming from some of the band then the possibility may be a little more likely than any of us would like. They've earned the right to do whatever it is they choose to do, all the years they've put into their music they certainly have paid their dues
    The best revenge is to live on and prove yourself - EV

• Options
    ShanKathyShanKathy Edmonton, Alberta Posts: 308
    Gotcha! Thanks for that. I would hope they continue to tour for my own selfish reasons, but I can imagine as time goes by they would be less than thrilled to be away from their families. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see things slow down touring wise, but if it's coming from some of the band then the possibility may be a little more likely than any of us would like. They've earned the right to do whatever it is they choose to do, all the years they've put into their music they certainly have paid their dues
    Matt has also stated that he is more of a homebody who prefers the creativity of the studio to touring. He said that in the interview with Carrie Brownstein during the promotion for Backspacer. But, like Jeff, he also said that there is something special about performing in front of the crowd. I think it's just the travel that they dread - still love to perform. And anyone who saw them last year can attest to that.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,099
    ShanKathy said:
    Matt has also stated that he is more of a homebody who prefers the creativity of the studio to touring. He said that in the interview with Carrie Brownstein during the promotion for Backspacer. But, like Jeff, he also said that there is something special about performing in front of the crowd. I think it's just the travel that they dread - still love to perform. And anyone who saw them last year can attest to that.
    Yup.  I only like to be away from home for so long until I want to be in my house and sleep in my own bed.   I would imagine that's the worst part of touring.   If you could show up around dinner time, get setup, then rock out for a few hours and go h
    Stryker said:

Ten - 1991

Vs. - 1993

Vitalogy - 1994

No Code - 1996

Yield - 1998

Binaural - 2000

Riot Act - 2002

Pearl Jam - 2006

Backspacer - 2009

Lightning Bolt - 2013

I hope not.  I kind of hoped they'd found their balance with doing 20ish dates (give or take) in most years.   It already feels like they've slowed down touring wise.. lol... To the point where so many people travel, getting tickets is chaos for many shows.   I'm kind of hoping this is an off year..... and we see them go back to the new balance they've found.
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,470
    Zod said:
    raindog80 said:

Eddie could send a tape of two or three songs to Kim and Ben and Matt, they could convince him to record them, and he could ask Kim and Ben and Matt to join him in doing so. I can't speak for the OP, but I didn't envision a tribute to Chris coming from the exact same members of TOTD.
  • Options
    Zod said:
    raindog80 said:

Eddie could send a tape of two or three songs to Kim and Ben and Matt, they could convince him to record them, and he could ask Kim and Ben and Matt to join him in doing so. I can't speak for the OP, but I didn't envision a tribute to Chris coming from the exact same members of TOTD.
    that's possible, of course, but if Ed did do that, I have my doubts he'd let it be released. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    TremormanTremorman Posts: 381

Ed's solo shows start in a couple of days.  I can't imagine how he's going to feel on stage after all this.  And I bet the Ariana Grande show attack is going to linger as well  for any artist's upcoming concerts especially in Europe.  What a terrible week.

• Options
    OlivavuOlivavu England Posts: 1,683
    Do you think Ed, Matt, Kim and Ben forming a band to write and record a tribute album to Chris would be a good idea? 
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,970
    It's a good idea if they want to do it. Otherwise, it's not. 

Simple as that. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    dudeman said:
    It's a good idea if they want to do it. Otherwise, it's not. 

Simple as that. 
    I agree. CopperTom doesn't though and he clearly knows what he's talking about when he backs up his opinion with no reasoning whatsoever.
  • Options
    riley540 said:
    People are still hurting bad from this, but I'm not upset you had the thought. Everyone's having different thoughts right now. 
    Yes, those people would be the people who actually knew Chris Cornell and had a relationship with him.
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271
    I think a tribute of some kind is likely, but it has to happen organically when all the guys who want to contribute are ready. It can't be something forced upon them by fan expectations. There's also no guarantee it would necessarily involve any of PJ apart from Matt. You'd like to think they'd be part of it but could they put themselves through another record with that much emotion and raw feeling? It could just be something that Matt, Kim and Ben do in their own time.

And it would obviously have to be called something specific to Chris. TOTD is from a Mother Love Bone lyric so that should remain a one-off tribute to Andy.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    A tribute of any type (be it a song, an album, a show, or whatever), if and when that'll happen, would be a good thing, obviously.

What hits a nerve in most people (myself included) is the "Temple of the Dog II" labeling.. It's unnecessary, really.
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,503
    edited May 2017
    While I don't profess to be a dedicated or passionate fan of Temple of The Dog, I just don't see this ever happening for one reason:

I believe it's been documented that Chris' intention with Temple of The Dog was to celebrate Andy's life and focus attention on his life cut short prior to what was perceived to be imminent mainstream success. Temple's small body of work would serve to pay homage to and shine a bright light on Andy going forward. I think in Chris you have a body of work that he's been blessed to share and fortunate enough to have found an audience that celebrated him for it. Chris wasn't shy about discussing his demons nor his struggles. There should be no reason for the public to mourn him - he should only be celebrated. Frankly, I see in Chris more deserving honor for celebration than I see in someone like Kurt: Chris fought for every inch personally, professionally, publicly, privately, and his life's accomplishment speak to the individual he was. His legacy lives on in his wife and kids. 
    Post edited by 100 Pacer on
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,598
    edited May 2017
    Bulldog88 said:

The difference between "have to" and "ready to" is vast. Most of us have had to go back to work long before we were ready after losing someone, due to not being able to support our lifestyle if we did not. Pearl Jam does not have this pressure impending on the time they would like to take to grieve this loss. I think some folks here are trying to be sensitive to the fact that it will not be 'business as usual' for quite sometime, and that is personal and up to each of them.

I couldn't agree more.

Whoopsy, edit.
    Post edited by kramer73 on
  • Options
    kramer73 said:
    Bulldog88 said:

I could agree more.
    how much more? :lol:
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

This discussion has been closed.